• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seperate Sheik

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's exactly as it sounds.
How likely is it that Sheik returns WITHOUT the transformation gimmick, and as her own character?
Twilight Princess Zelda and Sheik being the same person is not canon, so it not impossible that Sheik, as a beloved Super Smash Bros character, gets her own slot.
Although I believe that Sheik is still a part of Zelda, and the knight is either another special or an assist trophy.

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is TP Zelda, yet she utilizes ST Zelda's Phantom control. Assuming she retains her OoT Zelda's magic, this is simply a congruent Zelda based on several incarnations from The Legend of Zelda. Sheik was in Brawl and this appears to be the same Zelda. Why can't Sheik return? If this Zelda can wield the Phantom, she can transform into Sheik.

Besides, if Sheik is separated, we all know she'd become Impa.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is TP Zelda, yet she utilizes ST Zelda's Phantom control. Assuming she retains her OoT Zelda's magic, this is simply a congruent Zelda based on several incarnations from The Legend of Zelda. Sheik was in Brawl and this appears to be the same Zelda. Why can't Sheik return? If this Zelda can wield the Phantom, she can transform into Sheik.
Of course she can, and I still believe that she does.
I'm just saying that Sakurai would be justified in making Sheik a separate character.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I Don't think Sheik will be added as a seperate character. She's only an Important character as a part of zelda.
What's gonna happen to her in smash 4 I have no opinion on.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm thinking zelda will be standalone this time around.

Whether it'll be sheik or impa, that remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member

Sheik getting her own spot on the roster?
I can't see Sheik getting her own spot on the roster separately from Zelda. I personally rather have Zelda and Sheik be a 2-in-1 character because having Sheik having her own slot would seem like a waste to me.

Elunairis

Smash Rookie
Why would would Shiek warrant a slot? Either she is a transformation or she is cut

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I don't see Sheik being separate from Zelda. Even outside of canon, Sheik is an integral part of Zelda's move set. The ability to switch between those two play styles allows for the freedom that makes Zelda such a fun character to play as. Outside of Zelda, Sheik is just a one-hit wonder kind of character whose own merits and their ability to keep Sheik in are debatable. This is coming from a guy who isn't a Sheik fan, nor a Sheik hater, but finds Sheik to be an integral part of Smash Bros.

Now, Sheik certainly has the same amount of merit to be seen as a transformation once more. I think everyone's forgetting that OoT saw a remake on the 3DS. It's no longer a "relic" installment. And Sheik's a major character. But even I, a person who finds the Zelda reps in Smash to be perfect the way it is, understand that there are Zelda characters that could easily fill a standalone slot and make more sense than Sheik.

Therefore, Sheik is staying where he/she/I'm so confused has been for the past two games.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
People that say transform is part of Zelda probably don't play Zelda or don't care for her much because I believe Zelda should be a stand alone character
Along with sheik
They both have full move sets save for a down special
And don't need transform especially if it's as useless as brawl's transform
And sheik is a fan favorite and has been in the series for such a long time so asking for her to be a lone character is not bad
It's not like asking for nana or pikmin to be their own characters
So I think they should do it in smash 4

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I do play Zelda, and I firmly believe Zelda and Sheik play very differently because they are supposed to complete each other.
Sheik can't score kills safely but deals great damage, while Zelda is not very good at racking damage but KO's greatly.
If transform weren't such a bad move in Brawl more people would've realized that.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If Zelda is going to get 5 slots this time around, Sheik is welcome. I'll wait for an official confirmation on her appearance though. Also, I don't see any need to change her to Impa. Even if Zelda and Sheik are just different identities on one person, we've had freaking Dr. Mario and Mario as separate characters already.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Ya zelda has problems beyond sheik but giving her an extra move instead of transform
Would be helpful for Zelda to help her terrible approach
Or help her camp like an extra projectile
While sheik needs to be brought back to melee knock back
And should be fine

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
I just don't feel like Zelda benefits from transform
I would rather have Zelda with more options than having to transform to be better
Because then I would just might as well main a better character :(

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
They were supposed to be a duo.
Sheik was supposed to be the on-your-face aggressive damage dealer, while Zelda would be the slow, hard-hitting glasscannon.
But Transformation was so bad (because it was slow plus takes a lot to load) that it just wasn't viable at all.

Zelda was not designed to be bad, she just turned out to be.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Ya but I don't feel like transformations as slow as Zelda's are good in a fighting game like smash
But if it was as fluid and complementing as like I said before like Cecil from dissidia final fantasy
Then she would be a lot better
Being able to shift between them through attacks would be more better

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I would actually like a separate Sheik if they can't get the transform mechanic to work better, cause otherwise it will be unused/barely used again. Also if separated i think both Zelda and Sheik can benefit because they would have to be reworked to work alone rather than just on the transform gimmick. Zelda can get some speed, Sheik can get some oomph on some more of her attacks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Separate Sheik makes no sence. Impa would make a far better separate character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd laugh if it happened, just throwing that out there now. But Sheik is probably going to stay, as a transformation of Zelda.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Phantom won't be anything but a new Down B. Why wouldn't Sakurai replace an old gimmick with a new one?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We don't know that for sure just yet. For all we know it could be a new Smash attack, which I think is a plausible option. And why not have Zelda be a mix of her various incarnations moveset wise? Twilight Princess look and Light arrows, Ocarina's Magic and Sheik, Spirit Tracks Phantom. Hell throw in something that Zelda herself could do in Wind Waker and maybe Skyward Sword and you are done.

A new Down-B is possible. But I'd rather not jump the gun and assume that Sheik is separated or cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's not a Smash move. Simply as that. It seems like Zelda has free control after using the Phantom. So she would summon the Phantom with Forward Smash, and it'll just spawn and walk on it's own after that? I think it's far more likely we'll see the Phantom as Down B. And by pressing Down B again, you can actually control the Phantom, and if not, it moves on it's own.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I suppose they could become standalone characters in the way Samus and Zamus are: switching through rapid taunting. Thus freeing up specials for both characters.

finalark

SNORLAX
They were supposed to be a duo.
Sheik was supposed to be the on-your-face aggressive damage dealer, while Zelda would be the slow, hard-hitting glasscannon.
But Transformation was so bad (because it was slow plus takes a lot to load) that it just wasn't viable at all.

Zelda was not designed to be bad, she just turned out to be.
Pretty much this. I assume that when Melee was in development Zelda's ability to change into Sheik was meant as being similar to a stance system from other fighting games (I.E. characters get different moves depending on what stance they're in, E.G. Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur). However, as you said, transforming was so slow that people ended up playing either exclusively as Sheik or exclusively as Zelda. I'm really hoping that Smash 4 focuses on improving Zelda and making her more more viable. I'll be sad if Sheik is gone, but I can live without her. Granted, I'm not surprised since Nintendo seems to be focusing exclusively on characters who have had games recently.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Pretty much this. I assume that when Melee was in development Zelda's ability to change into Sheik was meant as being similar to a stance system from other fighting games (I.E. characters get different moves depending on what stance they're in, E.G. Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur). However, as you said, transforming was so slow that people ended up playing either exclusively as Sheik or exclusively as Zelda. I'm really hoping that Smash 4 focuses on improving Zelda and making her more more viable. I'll be sad if Sheik is gone, but I can live without her. Granted, I'm not surprised since Nintendo seems to be focusing exclusively on characters who have had games recently.
They should give her moveset to impa then she was in the last two zelda gives with important roles and she is a sheikah anyway so why not and then that way the can make zelda good

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If Zelda is going to get 5 slots this time around, Sheik is welcome. I'll wait for an official confirmation on her appearance though. Also, I don't see any need to change her to Impa. Even if Zelda and Sheik are just different identities on one person, we've had freaking Dr. Mario and Mario as separate characters already.
but then dr.mario was cut because it was a dumb way to fill up character slots just like young link and pichu

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if she is not in zelda moveset she will be cut, and poss impa taking the moveset which I would not mind

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
To be honest, I'd rather keep Sheik with Zelda, since I like to switch between the two of them sometimes (usually when I can't seem to get it to work with one of them, I switch to the other. Or when I reach the second half of the match).

Not to mention that separating Sheik from Zelda would make little sense, they are the same person.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Young Link was slightly different and a lot of people liked Young Link. What's your point?
I mean that alot of people liked that link he was a seperate person from the other side of the timeline and was completely different to TP link he was silly and funny and childlike and thats why people like him so much, yound link is a smaller link with fire arrows, thats it

Morbi

Scavenger
I wrote up a more detailed explanation on my profile-page after contemplating the possibilities, but in short, I think it is likely that they are separate characters. I do not think it is the most likely scenario though, she could have easily replaced any special to summon Phantom. I am not too open to that notion to be honest, I want Zelda to be viable, she shouldn't have to rely on Sheik to be a decent character. I would prefer if Phantom was a down-special with some buffs, I think it might have just been a replacement move for Din's Fire though.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
more further I get in skyward sword the more I want impa over shiek.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want Sheik cut because I want Zelda to be independent and not have to depend on Sheik to win matches. That's why I'm open minded about replacing Sheik with Impa. At least we get a Zelda newcomer and still keep Sheik's old moveset/playstyle this way.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I would personally like either Sheik to be replaced by Impa or Sheik get her own slot. It's not like her being selectable on the roster means anything. There's still going to be the same number of characters.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer Sheik to either be a separate character or cut from the roster. By being part of Zelda's kit, it forces Zelda to be balanced around the fact that she has access to Sheik at all times (even though the reality is there is rarely a good time to use transform), and it hinders those of us that prefer to play the titular character of the Zelda franchise (and wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom) and not one of her alter-egos. I've gone two games without a Down B on my main.

That being said, I don't think it will happen. My guess is they will reveal Sheik as a veteran just as before, and the transform gimmick will continue to drag Zelda down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom