• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seriously guys, Ganon isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Yay! Ganny support thread!

I hear you guys, like it was mentioned before, I placed third in a local tourney here using SmurfyDorf (losing to a Lucario XD )

And since that I've given up on Wifi- it proves nothing. I'm going to try and get to more and more tourneys. If that means saving up a **** load of money to get out of P.A. and into N.Y.- maybe I will ;)

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Luckily, I live near Chicago, which is an area rich in local tournaments. I've been to 5 local tournaments, though I wasn't using Ganondorf for the first three. In my last two tournaments, however, I got 5th out of 29 and 9th out of 41 using mainly Ganondorf. Where would I report these results? Are they good enough to even be worth it?

I agree with OP and I'm trying to rep the dark lord as much as possible.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Ganon and puff are two characters that are too underated. Ganon is strong as hell its ridiculous. is ftilt is good and fast. at the edge when he recovers he can attack really quick.stomp can gimp, good tech chase, uair is good too he is a good character and imo his only problem is fighting tiny small charactersl ike MK whos small and kirby. thats just my opinion. his recovery IS bad but he's heavy so he can take a few hits b4 being in a really tight situation. hmm ive also seen a ganon do wizards foot then jump right out of it any1 kno whats that about?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Luckily, I live near Chicago, which is an area rich in local tournaments. I've been to 5 local tournaments, though I wasn't using Ganondorf for the first three. In my last two tournaments, however, I got 5th out of 29 and 9th out of 41 using mainly Ganondorf. Where would I report these results? Are they good enough to even be worth it?

I agree with OP and I'm trying to rep the dark lord as much as possible.
Go to Brawl General Discussion -> Character Ranking List (by Ankoku). It's stickied.

5 out of 29 is worth reporting. 9th isn't. Only top 8 are tallied.

You need the top 8 peoples names and the chars they used, the entry fee, the total number of players, and preferably a link to a tourny results thread. Read the OP before posting to make sure I'm not missing anything. Congrats, BTW.

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, 90% of his matchups are 70:30 in his disadvantage. In all honesty, that is not the case at all. I came second place with Ganon at a real tournament, if ganon was as bad as all these matchup charts make him out to be, I would have came last. The only reason people think hes so bad is because there are very few REALLY good ganons. What I'm saying is, step it up ganon boards. Once we get more good ganons being known, the matchup charts will change, ganon will rise in the tier list, and we can all stop *****ing about how ganon gets ***** by ______. If you have enough skill, mindgames and good counterpicking, ganon is atleast at the top of mid tier.
Agree at first i thought ganon was just an easy character to face and an easy win. Then there was a day were i face a really awesome ganon that amazed me o_O. So i guess it is true few really good ganons i c.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Honestly, IDK if Ganon will move or not but he does have some good things going for him:

+High KO power

+High hitstun

+One of the best tech chases in the game

+Very heavy

However, he also has a lot of things going against him:

-Hard time approaching campers

-Slow

-Easily juggled

-Doesn't really have a reliable GTFO me move

-Bad recovery

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, IDK if Ganon will move or not but he does have some good things going for him:

+High KO power

+High hitstun

+One of the best tech chases in the game

+Very heavy

However, he also has a lot of things going against him:

-Hard time approaching campers

-Slow

-Easily juggled

-Doesn't really have a reliable GTFO me move

-Bad recovery
+High hitstun - HUH?

Anywho I'm just mostly glad that you dont have a picture of the actual judge Judy for your avatar. So relieved.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I mean I've always heard there was no hitstun in Brawl.
More accurately its that hit stun is so low its near unnoticeable.

Ganon is the exception to this rule, his moves tend to hit with so much power there is hit stun and usually into predictable angles that Ganondorf actually boasts TRUE comboes. As in 100% unescapable followups.

Either way main problem with Ganondorf's official showing is the bulk of the Ganon players here are located in obscure locations. I mean seriously, I'm in the frickin UK.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, Ganondorf is better than people say, although high mid seems like a stretch to me...He isn't better than Puff and I don't think he's better than Ness... but he's clearly better than Lucas and probably Link/Samus as well. Either way he has some things going for him as Judy mentioned but I'd also like to add that he's good at punishing mistakes since he hits so hard. His moveset is underrated, especially his aerials are really good (his dair is one of the best in the game and his uair is very good too) and make him a threat if you don't watch out. The first battle against Ganon is a nightmare since you don't know what to do and he can just beat you up. I think he loses a lot of his power once you learn to deal with him but he's still better than people say. He's certainly not the 2nd worst character and I believe he should be a tier higher than Craptain Failcon.

:034:

Smash Hero
Yeah, Ganondorf is better than people say, although high mid seems like a stretch to me...He isn't better than Puff and I don't think he's better than Ness... but he's clearly better than Lucas and probably Link/Samus as well. Either way he has some things going for him as Judy mentioned but I'd also like to add that he's good at punishing mistakes since he hits so hard. His moveset is underrated, especially his aerials are really good (his dair is one of the best in the game and his uair is very good too) and make him a threat if you don't watch out. The first battle against Ganon is a nightmare since you don't know what to do and he can just beat you up. I think he loses a lot of his power once you learn to deal with him but he's still better than people say. He's certainly not the 2nd worst character and I believe he should be a tier higher than Craptain Failcon.
I'm so proud >_>

Okay I'll stop XD

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ganon is a monster in the hands of the intelligent. He punishes so hard you can feel the impact of his moves IRL. He's also the baddest SOB in the game.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I just say let people think what they want it just makes things nicer if we win.

Any one that hasn't faced me before and doesn't have a beast of a MK or Snake is always surprised if I win. Even if I don't they always compliment my Ganon.
I think to them it's like shaking hands when you just won a race against a person in a wheel chair, with REALLY big arms.

I can't think of a good way to say it but for me I feel like if I can just stay true to playing just Ganon I can say, yeah I play brawl but only hard mode, not that easy ****

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
"Fun" and "Good" shouldn't be confused. If Ganon moves up, realize that someone has to move down. And if you don't play a good spread of characters, you're going to be biased as hell.

The character isn't totally gimped, but it's almost always an uphill battle. His Neutral B and Up Tilt are almost exclusively extra taunt buttons. No fast attacks for people too close, no multi-hits to bait a shield drop, nothing spammable to refresh attacks, lag everywhere, and probably thee worst grab in the game. Plus, getting grabbed at the tip of a D-Tilt :mad:.

I came second place with Ganon at a real tournament, if ganon was as bad as all these matchup charts make him out to be, I would have came last.
That's an outright fallacy. If you're good at the game and fighting people who aren't as good, you're going to consistently do better no matter which character you pick.

I think everyone here recognizes you're great at the game, and the proposition that you happened to be better that everyone else at a single tourny you failed to list seems far more reasonable than you consistently beasting a number of the best players out there at a major tourny event.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
See far superior movesets kthx. And since when does Ganon not get gimped? Oh wait, they don't even have to bother gimping because his recovery is so bad.
Okay, I'll make this simple. Get. The. ****. Out. We already know what's bad about Ganon and what isn't. Even so we main him, and...forget it, you aren't worth to cry over. Just go back to your mustache guy's board, since you like it so much.

Witch_

Smash Cadet
this is rediculous. ganon is far too good. havent played a metaknight yet that can beat my ganon. his power is too great.
Either you're GODLY, or you haven't fought a batball that can recover.

I will say one thing about Ganon and his players, though. Moreso than any other character, a good Ganon will scrape people who underestimate him.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Okay, I'll make this simple. Get. The. ****. Out. We already know what's bad about Ganon and what isn't. Even so we main him, and...forget it, you aren't worth to cry over. Just go back to your mustache guy's board, since you like it so much.
Dude what the hell? This guy was trying to say that Ganon is better than Ness because Marth can chain grab him, which is just obsurd. Marth would **** Ness and Ganon regardless. He provided no grounds to back up his claim, and it pissed me off. All I did was ask how, realistically, Ganon could be better than the rest of bottom tier such as Ness and Mario.

I would break down why Ness is much better than Ganon, but you seem to already "know what's bad about Ganon and what isn't", so it shouldn't be necessary.

Your post is blatant trolling by the way.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Your post is blatant trolling by the way.
..and yours isn't.

Dude what the hell? This guy was trying to say that Ganon is better than Ness because Marth can chain grab him, which is just obsurd. Marth would **** Ness and Ganon regardless. He provided no grounds to back up his claim, and it pissed me off. All I did was ask how, realistically, Ganon could be better than the rest of bottom tier such as Ness and Mario.

I would break down why Ness is much better than Ganon, but you seem to already "know what's bad about Ganon and what isn't", so it shouldn't be necessary.
First off, that isn't how you spell "absurd".

If Ness wasn't better than Ganon already, I would have most definitely write and argue why, but sadly he is. Fellow Ganon mains, I'm not trying to be that "one" negative Ganon here, but we gotta face it. We have the worst match-ups in the game, but aside from the point, we have the most pride , we won't stop using Ganon in tournaments nor stop maining him.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'd like to remind everyone that

NESS BOARDS HAVE ANSWERED %$&%^ing RELEASE INFINITES.

kTHX.

I'm just... we're all just real sore about it. :[

Anyway, figuring out which characters we are supposedly better than would make sense. Since it has to be true if we're not the worst.
So here's my list of characters I think we can outclass (please don't flame), in no particular order:

Fox (more as a result of his own flaws, it looks like)
Bowser (I know what this guy is doing right now, but I think we got him)
Jigglypuff (who is probably the best of this list)
Link
Kirby
Lucas
Samus
Sonic
and Captain Falcon (who, incidentally, I think could be better than a few others on this list himself)

I think the goal will be complete if we ever outrank the Mario brothers. Then people will take note.

Player 3

Smash Apprentice

kTHX.

Anyway, figuring out which characters we are supposedly better than would make sense. Since it has to be true if we're not the worst.
So here's my list of characters I think we can outclass (please don't flame), in no particular order:

Link
Kirby
Lucas
Samus
Sonic
and Captain Falcon (who, incidentally, I think could be better than a few others on this list himself)

I think the goal will be complete if we ever outrank the Mario brothers. Then people will take note.
YESZ

but yeah ganon should be above link, jiggz should be at least bottom of mid...
falcon should be above ganon
<3
inb4flameitwasajoke,falconswherehebelongs

mannon is amazing

luigis recovery is broken.
kthx

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
First off, that isn't how you spell "absurd".

If Ness wasn't better than Ganon already, I would have most definitely write and argue why, but sadly he is. Fellow Ganon mains, I'm not trying to be that "one" negative Ganon here, but we gotta face it. We have the worst match-ups in the game, but aside from the point, we have the most pride , we won't stop using Ganon in tournaments nor stop maining him.
Spelling errors make my opinion wrong now? That sounds like some great junior high logic there buddy.

And if you agree with me, why are you flaming me about all this crap? I was pointing out that the other guy's post made him look like an idiot, and you decided that it was your duty to defend Ganon, even though you clearly agree with my statement. I'm not following your logic here.

Does anyone get this guy?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord

kTHX.

Link
Kirby
Lucas
Samus
Sonic

Hmmm...well, if chainchoking works out (which it shows every sign of doing) and it turns out that Ganon DOES have a chaingrab that can be done on over half the cast for 60%+ damage and even to kill quite a few of them, I would say it would at least rocket him up past Link, Samus, Lucas/Ness (I thought Lucas was better than Ness, though?), probably Jiggs, and maybe past Sonic/Boozer. Especially since it can be done to kill MK easily, perhaps making Ganondorf the one character with AN ADVANTAGEOUS MATCHUP AGAINST MK!!! (I sure as hell hope so)

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Spelling errors make my opinion wrong now? That sounds like some great junior high logic there buddy.

And if you agree with me, why are you flaming me about all this crap? I was pointing out that the other guy's post made him look like an idiot, and you decided that it was your duty to defend Ganon, even though you clearly agree with my statement. I'm not following your logic here.

Does anyone get this guy?
Yes, I get him quite well. He's one of the best and most respected Ganon's on the board. He's my favorite Ganon in terms of play style, and is THE GO-TO GUY for any new intel I have BEFORE I post it on the boards. Now stop driving thread off topic.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Just for the record, Ganon has gotten a boost every week since 2009 started on the Character Ranking Lists. He's rank 31 right now and Yoshi is only BARELY above him.

We can keep this going. Just get out there and get to tournies if you can. With all the new techs and with even marginally good tournament results, we can probably generate a lot of interest in our main and get more heads on the Ganon-improvement project.

Ganon in '09
YES WE CAN

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Originally Posted by hyperstation
Just for the record, Ganon has gotten a boost every week since 2009 started on the Character Ranking Lists. He's rank 31 right now and Yoshi is only BARELY above him.

We can keep this going. Just get out there and get to tournies if you can. With all the new techs and with even marginally good tournament results, we can probably generate a lot of interest in our main and get more heads on the Ganon-improvement project.

Ganon in '09
YES WE CAN
This is Barack Obama, and I approve this message.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
The only reason people think hes so bad is because there are very few REALLY good ganons.
Wow we just said that same thing on the Falcon boards! The same goes for Link, Jiggs and everyone who is 'lower'. We're just under represented. And you know why? Becuase of the freak'n TIER LIST! I say get rid of it. It only makes players flock away from our characters hence underrepresenting them.:(

So, my punching bretheren from across the boards, I agree that it's time to take action. Let it be known that there is a problem.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Wow we just said that same thing on the Falcon boards! The same goes for Link, Jiggs and everyone who is 'lower'. We're just under represented. And you know why? Becuase of the freak'n TIER LIST! I say get rid of it. It only makes players flock away from our characters hence underrepresenting them.:(

So, my punching bretheren from across the boards, I agree that it's time to take action. Let it be known that there is a problem.
No, there really isn't a problem.

The cool thing about competitive gaming is that it is 'self-correcting' - or, if you don't want to have such a normative term, 'self-organizing'.

See, if character X is good, but most people don't think he's good and don't plan much to fight him, then this allows you, as an individual agent interested only in winning money at competitive events, to take that character, go rogue, and storm for a high finishing place.

You can take advantage of the ignorance by working independently, (or in small groups that can keep a secret). This then spreads the knowledge out there thatyou are good, since you can't win without Showing Your Moves, and of course we get the cycle of competition: people try to beat it, the bar moves up, and we repeat.

P.S. I'm on to the Falcon "bring down the tier list" agenda and frankly I think it's a very poorly inspired idea that I urge every last one of you to get out of, now.

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
I agree wholeheartedly about boosting Ganon's reputation. However, I'm not quite sure how to locate tournaments in my region. A little help here?

Top Bottom