• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting Up Our Online Smash Boards 3DS Tournament Teams

Should Smash Boards have its own 3DS Online Tournament Team?

• For fun,yes.

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • Yes, but only because it is for the community.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Yes, I want someone to play with as soon as I get the game.

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • No, this is a lame idea.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No, I just want to play the game for fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, this will only lead to bragging rights in Smash Boards.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
Sounds like a good idea I want to be able to practice as well. While I might end up playing the wii u version more when it comes out I still am getting both versions of the game so practicing on the 3ds should also help me be ready for the wii u version.

Last edited:

Soul.

So I just realized, if this is still happening, what kind of ruleset are we gonna use for our tournaments?
Well, I think the ruleset could be this one for Team Battles.
Time: 8 minutes
Stocks: 3
Team Attack: Yes
Customization: Yes/No
As for the stages, the game needs to be released so we can see all of them. For 1 vs. 1 matches, it'd be the same thing as the Team Battle ruleset, but without the Team Attack. We'll see.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Id be interested in this. Its better to play with other people than with just CPUs (Kinda hoping Amiibos will be a lot stronger than CPUs)

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I would be up for this since I'm pretty rusty myself, and I need some friends who will play Smash 4, also this will help the 3DS scene to get off to a good start hopefully, once the game is out that is.

Soul.

I would be up for this since I'm pretty rusty myself, and I need some friends who will play Smash 4, also this will help the 3DS scene to get off to a good start hopefully, once the game is out that is.
I'm sure the 3DS scene will be off to a good start with this idea, maybe a lot of people will get online and do these matches. Then, the 3DS scene will start its metagame after that.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'll join as well.. I should be getting it on release and will finally be able to join tourneys because of 3ds version..

geo1088

Smash Rookie
This would be kinda cool! Kind of related to this, it would be nice if you could set up battle rooms like you can in MarioKart 7 with communities. That would be neat, but I digress. This looks cool, although I probably wouldn't use it much (I have plenty of friends who are getting it for sure).

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well some news, I'm currently working on a site so there could be a live chat to find matches for 3DS online, a place to host and hold online tournaments, a forum, and hopefully a ladder and/or a ranking system involved with that as well. I promise to let folks who seem really pumped for tournaments know when this is all ready to go!

Soul.

Well some news, I'm currently working on a site so there could be a live chat to find matches for 3DS online, a place to host and hold online tournaments, a forum, and hopefully a ladder and/or a ranking system involved with that as well. I promise to let folks who seem really pumped for tournaments know when this is all ready to go!
That's great. The 3DSA group could also be a place to find online matches, but that's what I think. If the 3DS forum is going to be like this one, it'll be good. A ladder could also work, I guess.

Arn Allen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aallen91
3DS FC
1633-4697-5388
I'm all for this idea but how would we set it up or keep track of the tournament?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
That's great. The 3DSA group could also be a place to find online matches, but that's what I think. If the 3DS forum is going to be like this one, it'll be good. A ladder could also work, I guess.
It's kinda gonna be the 3DSA, just not in group form. Groups aren't visible on smashboards, so a site itself is a bit more helpful logistically.

I'm all for this idea but how would we set it up or keep track of the tournament?
That's not very difficult, I have a LOT of experience running events. The PSASBR community was only ever online, and I was the largest TO the scene EVER had. You just keep brackets online for viewing and use a live chatroom to help players keep organized.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
well there is all ways that one free forums website.(I will add the address later its on may favorite tab on another computer)

Soul.

It's kinda gonna be the 3DSA, just not in group form. Groups aren't visible on smashboards, so a site itself is a bit more helpful logistically.

That's not very difficult, I have a LOT of experience running events. The PSASBR community was only ever online, and I was the largest TO the scene EVER had. You just keep brackets online for viewing and use a live chatroom to help players keep organized.
Oh, so it's going to be the 3DSA in a forum? Will it be using the XenForo forum thing that Smashboards uses? It's a lot better.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
well there is all ways that one free forums website.(I will add the address later its on may favorite tab on another computer)
I pay for my awesomeness. Free is generally not worth it.

Oh, so it's going to be the 3DSA in a forum? Will it be using the XenForo forum thing that Smashboards uses? It's a lot better.
It'll be on enjin. It's what I used for PSAS so I'm going back to it as it was very reliable.

D

Deleted member

Wait, so Capps is working on a site based on this group? Great idea.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Well after my week long break from Smashboards (been playing Project M) I really don't have to say it's a great idea since I've already known that w were going to pretty much "plan" this, but overall you guys should join Capps is really a great guy!\

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
You don't even KNOW how excited I am for this! I could use some 1 on 1 practice with some people as soon as I get the game!

Plus it has like a really nice "clan" feel to it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Okay, for those interested in the idea of clans I want your suggestions as to how you'd like them implemented.

For example, I could host things like clan crew battles every month, and rank the clans based on who is winning, or even manage a clan tournament of sorts. I could allow for special forums that can only be accessed by members of their respective clans as well, and even allow people to display a badge for their clan loyalty under their user name.

Does that sound cool to you guys? What kinds of events would you want, and how would you like me to structure these clans?

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Okay, for those interested in the idea of clans I want your suggestions as to how you'd like them implemented.

For example, I could host things like clan crew battles every month, and rank the clans based on who is winning, or even manage a clan tournament of sorts. I could allow for special forums that can only be accessed by members of their respective clans as well, and even allow people to display a badge for their clan loyalty under their user name.

Does that sound cool to you guys? What kinds of events would you want, and how would you like me to structure these clans?
HECK YES!

We could do like clan wars once a month or two months like you said, or challenge another clan whenever we want! There could even be like a yearly "Smash Run Fest", where we kick back, relax, and have fun! Meet new people, train some, and of course, play Smash Run! Maybe add a little tournament at the end :3

Clans should consist of a maximum of 6 players, and could possibly have a seventh substitute player. Clans could be divided into two different sections, and you can make alliances (or rivals!) with other clans in your section. But at Clan Wars or Smash Run Fest, the two sections meet up! Each Clan could have their own home thread on the forum. There could be clan leaders, which can do things like host practices among another and things like that!

So many possibilities! Don't have to do all this though, I just think it would be awesome!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
@ PingPongCop PingPongCop I like the idea of doing competitions throughout the year and then possibly having a year end super big event where clans compete for a "cup" of sorts, like a big award they can keep until the next year. I'll have to remember that.

I could easily allow forums for each group if they wanted one, only able to be entered by those in the group. I wont put a limit on size yet, but having it at a reasonable number isn't a bad idea. If there were enough groups of people and friends forming up groups I'd LOVE to put on events for them.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
@ PingPongCop PingPongCop I like the idea of doing competitions throughout the year and then possibly having a year end super big event where clans compete for a "cup" of sorts, like a big award they can keep until the next year. I'll have to remember that.

I could easily allow forums for each group if they wanted one, only able to be entered by those in the group. I wont put a limit on size yet, but having it at a reasonable number isn't a bad idea. If there were enough groups of people and friends forming up groups I'd LOVE to put on events for them.
EEEEE

Thanks for taking my opinion into consideration! I'm sure there will be tons of people making groups if we can just spread the word about it!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
EEEEE

Thanks for taking my opinion into consideration! I'm sure there will be tons of people making groups if we can just spread the word about it!
I sure hope so. I'll keep up the work on the site, we have a great artist and html master working on the presentation and me doing all of the tedious work on the functionality. As soon as we're ready people can start forming clans.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
I do like this idea of having clans or factions in a group but I think there should be more like 30 to 40 people min per group. the only reason I suggest this is so there are always people on from that clan all/most the time. Also try and have a sub forum for factions to form 2v2 or 1v1 matches from out of the blue.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I do like this idea of having clans or factions in a group but I think there should be more like 30 to 40 people min per group. the only reason I suggest this is so there are always people on from that clan all/most the time. Also try and have a sub forum for factions to form 2v2 or 1v1 matches from out of the blue.
No need for forums, I'll have a live chat so people can find folks to play whenever they want. That way you KNOW someone is online when you ask for a game :)

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
I sure hope so. I'll keep up the work on the site, we have a great artist and html master working on the presentation and me doing all of the tedious work on the functionality. As soon as we're ready people can start forming clans.
Man, I wish I could help, as I am both an artist and an HTML programmer (only a little bit... still learning!) but then again, I am still practicing digital art, I only know a portion of HTML, and I'm only 13. Anyways, I'm super excited for this!

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Now that you mention it, a large number, perhaps 15 or 20 would be nice. Its so that the clan leader wont have tons of trouble organizing their clans, and so that there's still a lot of people, to where there would be at least like 2 online all the time.

Soul.

That could work, maybe before the clan match, there can be some sort of announcement, the players enter the clan match and then post their wins and losses.
What kinds of events? Well, they would be the same crew/clan match as before, just with online multiplayer on With Friends. The clan matches could also have the same stage striking system the 3DS scene is thinking of using.
Clans should have 6 players at best, with 10+ (15) being the most. In order to join a clan, the clan leader must do a match with the player asking to join. If the player can win against the leader of the clan, they're in. Join Matches should be a 3 Stock match with 8 minutes, if that's not the case, then it can be a Stock match with no time.

Last edited:

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
That could work, maybe before the clan match, there can be some sort of announcement, the players enter the clan match and then post their wins and losses.
What kinds of events? Well, they would be the same crew/clan match as before, just with online multiplayer on With Friends. The clan matches could also have the same stage striking system the 3DS scene is thinking of using.
Clans should have 6 players at best, with 10+ (15) being the most. In order to join a clan, the clan leader must do a match with the player asking to join. If the player can win against the leader of the clan, they're in. Join Matches should be a 3 Stock match with 8 minutes, if that's not the case, then it can be a Stock match with no time.
Wouldn't that technically mean all the members would have to be better than the leader?

Wouldn't that also mean that the best Smash player couldn't have a clan, and that all clan leaders are the weakest member of their team?

D

Deleted member

Capps, I'd help with the logo and artwork for the 3DSA website and stuff related to it. I use Photoshop CS6 for things like that. Back to topic, xSoul's idea is great, though there should be a limit of atleast 20 or 15 players. If they lose for the first time, a second chance is up, and if the player wins, he / she is now in the clan.. or just join a la Mario Kart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

Wouldn't that technically mean all the members would have to be better than the leader?

Wouldn't that also mean that the best Smash player couldn't have a clan, and that all clan leaders are the weakest member of their team?
Nope, that isn't a problem. This happened with games such as Mario Kart 7.
Think about it as if it was a "skill test". The clan leader can still be as good as the other players, if not better. It doesn't mean they're bad. It's simply a skill test to see if they're good or not. The loss won't matter, what they'll see is the skill of the player, nothing more.
@Flight: Yeah, that's how clans should work. Of course, this isn't Mario Kart, this is Smash Bros., I think the limit of clan members should be up to the leader. Having a set limit could cause problems to some. But like you said, if the player loses, there's a second chance.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Would there be a visible way to tell which users are in which clans on the site? Having that would probably take less than 100 lines of Javascript to do, if it hasn't been done already.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Nope, that isn't a problem. This happened with games such as Mario Kart 7.
Think about it as if it was a "skill test". The clan leader can still be as good as the other players, if not better. It doesn't mean they're bad. It's simply a skill test to see if they're good or not. The loss won't matter, what they'll see is the skill of the player, nothing more.
@Flight: Yeah, that's how clans should work. Of course, this isn't Mario Kart, this is Smash Bros., I think the limit of clan members should be up to the leader. Having a set limit could cause problems to some. But like you said, if the player loses, there's a second chance.
Oh, that makes sense, but I was confused because you said, "If they win, they're in." By that, you meant they're pretty much automatically in, not that they aren't if they lose, right?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'd think it would be reasonable to allow a clan to have a match with a user before they joined, but requiring them to win would definately cut out some folks. Still, I bet even better would be setting a member limit and allowing any clan to set their own requirements for joining. If people want it to be tough, let them make it tough.

Would there be a visible way to tell which users are in which clans on the site? Having that would probably take less than 100 lines of Javascript to do, if it hasn't been done already.
I'd be able to do that easily yes.

Soul.

Oh, that makes sense, but I was confused because you said, "If they win, they're in." By that, you meant they're pretty much automatically in, not that they aren't if they lose, right?
That's what I meant, by seeing the skill of the player, they can join, it doesn't matter if they are "bad" or not. They can still join and improve as their clan gets matches with other clans.
Oh, that's fine.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
That's what I meant, by seeing the skill of the player, they can join, it doesn't matter if they are "bad" or not. They can still join and improve as their clan gets matches with other clans.
Oh, that's fine.
And I'd be the worst clan leader ever! XD

Just kidding, but I'm not exactly what you'd call "tournament level" just yet...

Soul.

And I'd be the worst clan leader ever! XD

Just kidding, but I'm not exactly what you'd call "tournament level" just yet...
I don't think so. I'm sure you'll be a good leader. Maybe we're all planning before it releases?

Top Bottom