• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexualization in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
Please, Most felmale game stars ( Lara Croft, Bloodrayne ) rely totatly on Sex appeal. Samus has built her gaming empire w/o sexuality at all ( hes in the suit all the time) Now she final gets to show a little bit of curves and ppl have a problem

Organous

Smash Apprentice
Well, I can see how some people would have a problem with it, but that body is still the natural result of what she does. Look at how she works in every game she's been in, especially the later ones. You can't get that agility without staying in shape. I do wish she had some more muscle to her body, though. At least make the legs bigger. I mean, come on, she survives body-smashing falls landing on her feet and doesn't even lose any energy from it. Girl's gotta have strong legs.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Quit spamming ffs :ohwell:

Please, Most felmale game stars ( Lara Croft, Bloodrayne ) rely totatly on Sex appeal. Samus has built her gaming empire w/o sexuality at all ( hes in the suit all the time) Now she final gets to show a little bit of curves and ppl have a problem
They have a "problem" because this is weird coming from a Nintendo character. I have no problem at all though.

Biggum300

Smash Apprentice
there Sexualization in every cartoon,game,comics and others,deal with it.

startoonhero

Smash Apprentice
besides if they wanted to do sexualization with ZSS, im pretty sure they couldve done a MUCH better job than that.

SHE'S IN A FULL BODY SUIT FOR GODSAKES!

the only skin you see on her is her face! and last i checked, theres nothing wrong with a pretty face

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
So, I was browsing DeviantArt (I know, a risky venture if there ever was one) and I came along this piece.

http://mecharm.deviantart.com/art/Newcomer-70074246

It isn't NSFW or anything, don't worry. But it does bring up a good point (in a cool way, I might add) in addressing the new sexualization of Samus with her ZSS counterpart. I know the discussion has (probably) been had before, but we've actually had hands-on with the character now (as well as an absolute PLETHORA of ZSS/Snake screenshots), so I thought we probably now have a better perspective than we did before on the subject.

Just to start the discussion off, personally I'm kind of against it, even if it is taking the character in a 'new' direction. As far as ethics is concerned, I'm against the sexualization of women in general in gaming (you'd think us nerds would have enough pr0n on our hard drives without having to fill our games with softcore these days : P), but in terms of canon, Samus was always portrayed as a strong woman because of circumstance more than anything (especially with the killing of her family and unwilling adoption by the Chozo), beautiful as a matter of coincidence. She certainly doesn't flaunt it (Power Suits aren't very sexy), but she doesn't need to, either. She, unlike so many female protagonists, gets the job done without using feminine wiles, which is why she is so respected. In those terms, having Samus as some scantily-clad blonde running around willingly in nothin' at all is kind of insulting to the character (especially considering the ZSS sequence in M:ZM was intended, I think, to be interpreted more as Samus being in distress than anything else).

Those are my thoughts for now. Discuss.
......OMG -_-

dirty link picture.....shame:urg:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyway, while the game isn't overly-sexualized, there's some in it, although most of it is probably unintentional.

Instances of sex(ualization):
* Zero Suit Samus
* Snake (look at those body-hugging spandex-like whatevers go! And look at that ***!)
* Snake <3 Samus (in a kiddie game, why even talk about sexual attraction?)
* Shota Link touching his tush and rubbing it (sensually if you will)
* Pokémon Trainer and his various victory poses with his Pokémon (sometimes caressing them quite sensual-like)
* Various grabs and throws
* That rumor about a sexed-up Peach

Lant

Smash Journeyman
I'm of two minds as to mention DOA or Soul Calibre, so I'll mention both.

In fairness, DOA is still in fairly good taste.. SC is just ridiculous, DOA's a better fighting game too.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm of two minds as to mention DOA or Soul Calibre, so I'll mention both.

In fairness, DOA is still in fairly good taste.. SC is just ridiculous, DOA's a better fighting game too.
DoA is in good taste while SC is ridiculous? How is SC ridiculous and DoA in good taste?

SC has... um... scantily clad women (and men)? OK.
DoA has that... and wobbling boobs, more panty-shots, "sexy" outfits that are unlockable.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
First everyone whined that Smash is regarded as a "kiddy" game and now everyone is whining about supposed sexual material. Make up your mind! ^^;

RWB

Smash Ace
DoA is in good taste while SC is ridiculous? How is SC ridiculous and DoA in good taste?

SC has... um... scantily clad women (and men)? OK.
DoA has that... and wobbling boobs, more panty-shots, "sexy" outfits that are unlockable.

There is the fact that DoA (at least the latest one) are scoffed at by fighter-tourneygoers.
Also, the games are really cruddy when it comes to character balance.

While SC has a thriving tourney-community, even with the latest game in the series being a bit imbalanced. (Example: Tira vs Ivy= Sheik with handicap 7 vs Bowser with Handicap 5)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is the fact that DoA (at least the latest one) are scoffed at by fighter-tourneygoers.
Also, the games are really cruddy when it comes to character balance.

While SC has a thriving tourney-community, even with the latest game in the series being a bit imbalanced. (Example: Tira vs Ivy= Sheik with handicap 7 vs Bowser with Handicap 5)
Again, this translates into DoA being in good taste (sexually) how?

m0rdin

Smash Rookie
Yep, it's against emancipation that there now is a women that actually looks sexy beneath those two pink girly princess's. - I think everything is perfectly all right with ZSS from ethical point of view. What I don't like about her is, that ZSS somehow diminishes the sexiness of a Samus. I mean in the M-Prime-Games, which were the first of the series that could have the graphics to show a beautiful women, you never saw the women under the powersuit. And that exactly was, what made her sexy and what even made it sexy when she just took her ****ing helmet off in the credits. Now that one can see her in that tight blue outfight as long and as easy as one would it simply isn't sexy anymore.

But I don't want to miss her in the game anymore cos she became one of my favourite fighters. :)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
ZSS first of all is sexy, but again I believe smash isn't over-sexually, I mean c'mon ZSS isn't showing any skin other than her face for crying out loud, as for that Link picture :freak:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When you look at the breast size for the three ladies, I've noticed that Zero Suit Samus has the largest breast size, while Zelda has the smallest. Peach's breast size is about average.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I feel like people are getting ripped out of their reward.

Every Metroid game gave you a look at her our of the suit at the end of each game. By having a playable Zero Suit character, you are cheapening that reward. That's how I see it.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Peach's ******* are a cute size. I like them.

Peach is also by far the most bootylicious character in Brawl.
Her *** isn't that "public" now with the new dress. Almost every attack in Melee made her legs visible (heck, even when you turned around, the dress formed like a big bubble).
Now she's all about teh detailed dress and no legs.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Snake the most bootylicious character? :laugh:
LOL, fun topic. I think one of the Samus suits should have the old bikini when she removes her armor. In my last tourney one of my late matches was Snake vs Zamus, where we did many kicks and probably should have been censored.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Agreed (for the most part - Samus and Zelda are kinda tied in my opinion, but hey, that's me).

While I'm agreeing with the whole "sex sells" deal (because, really, it does), I'm not gonna say that Brawl is in any way sexualized. Sure, they happen to have a woman in a skin-tight outfit jumping around, but it doesn't mean anything, really. Actually, Zelda and Palutena are even more sexualized that ZSSamus, becuase they have (OMG!) cleavage. Skin is more sexualized than skin tight, as most here will agree.

But does that cleavage really mean there's sexualization in Brawl? No. If you couldn't tell before, those small bosoms that Zelda and Peach have do not bounce. If Nintendo had wanted to make Brawl a sexy game, they would have added physics not unlike the infamous Dead or Alive Xtreme "sexy physics".

Sexual marketing, when done correctly, is supposed to entice some sort of sexual reaction, and it's supposed to do it with something OBVIOUS. Now, you might think that ZSS is obvious, but she is not. Is she in a bikini? Do her breasts bounce at even the slightest breath? Exactly.

Now, her "Congratulations" picture... :3

>_>

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The reward for beating pretty much every Metroid quickly was seeing Samus in a Bikini/swimsuit. Be glad that they 'upgraded' the suit, which is based off of the Metriod Zero Mission, ie the 'first' Metroid game.

You bring up a good point; at least we're not playing with Samus in a bikini. Now that would be totally offensive.

Off-Topic: Has anyone ever gotten why you are rewarded with a half-nude picture of Samus? I mean, I get it, but you would think Nintendo would have more class than that...and why do you see the same thing you do then when you die in Super Metroid/Fusion? Well, not the same, but similar.

Anyways, I agree with this topic. I find it offensive that Samus was totally twisted around to be something she's not. Why did she speak? Why is she in her Zero Suit practically flaunting something when she's a respectable Bounty Hunter?
And the answer is this; Sakurai is a moron and doesn't understand Metroid at all. That's why he seems to think that Zero Laser was a viable way of transformation to Zero Suit Samus.

I seriously don't understand what they're getting at. Is anyone actually going to buy Brawl for the sex appeal? No, it just angers Metroid fans all over. Not only did we get the shaft on characters but the one "character" we did get was just a sex appeal version of Samus.

This just shows how bad our world is getting...first, 9/10 of the movies that you pick up nowadays have some sort of sexually explicit scene or five, and now that junk is getting carried over to video games.

salaboB

Smash Champion
What really gets me about Zamus is her neutral posturing. She completely drops out of combat stance to stand there and look back and forth in a posture that really doesn't make sense given the combat situation -- she shouldn't have that much balance/traction to immediately re-engage from that at all, and I wouldn't expect someone of Samus' experience to drop into it while there's fighting going on.

Yeah, I know it's the looking around to make sure she's not been seen pose that she strikes in that SSE cinematic. It really doesn't feel like it fits in general melee.

Inudeku

Smash Rookie
Anyways, I agree with this topic. I find it offensive that Samus was totally twisted around to be something she's not. Why did she speak? Why is she in her Zero Suit practically flaunting something when she's a respectable Bounty Hunter?
Something she's not? She's had full blown monologues in games and we've always been rewarded with a sexy showing of Samus.

Samus is a woman. Women have breasts. Samus is an extremely fit woman. Fit women have nice looking butts and bodies. Skin tight suits make logical sense in her case. Did I mention she was a woman?

Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom