• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Out of a full run? That's awesome.
Yes. Yes it is.

So can we buffer a dash to continue running out of the slide? Cause that would be extra hot.
Hm...I'm not positive about that because the JCT (jump canceled throw) actually puts Sonic into a stand still position, but Sonic's ridiculous ground speed causes him to continue sliding, unlike the rest of the cast. Now, it doesn't go AS FAR as the glide toss, but it comes very close.

The thing I REALLY like about Sonic's JCT is this...after some experimenting, Sonic can actually repeatedly JCT an item and catch it! If you JCT an item (banana let's just say) forward, Sonic will slide at the SAME SPEED the banana is being thrown at, and Sonic can recatch it and do it again. It's very interesting.

I wish I had my own capture card so I could get all of this up this weekend :/

:093:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So we can just slide around the stage with a protective banana shield in front of us? Holy ****! Diddy matches just became AMAZINGLY fun.

If the slide is a stand still position....I mean. That's the state from which you START a run so we wouldn't even have to buffer it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So we can just slide around the stage with a protective banana shield in front of us? Holy ****! Diddy matches just became AMAZINGLY fun.
Basically...yes XD
I'm dead serious, try it yourself :D

The input is simply Full Run > Jump > A/Z (throw item). I find it easiest to slide my thumb from Y to A. then as Sonic is sliding, tilt the joystick forward so when the slide is over, he walks a little, then press A again to catch the nanner before it falls.

If the slide is a stand still position....I mean. That's the state from which you START a run so we wouldn't even have to buffer it.
Hm...I suppose you're right. I know you can walk immediatley out of the slide, so I can't see why you couldn't just run.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
yo, vids pl0x. this sounds too good. But the way you word it...it sounds too hard. So, you just jump and throw an item to cancel the animation and you slide far?
I'm workin' on getting vids up bro, trust me :/

And it's actually very easy. Give it a try...of course if you're a visual learner it might take a while before I get mah vidjo up :/ Probably about a week before I can get the equipiment.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, remember my bahnurnurr thread or however the mofo i spelled it?

<- JC toss shenanigans.

in other news, I'm still trying to work on useful-ish DDP moves 9_9;

Sort of trying to keep it organized by using two kinds of foxtrots for spacing - short foxtrot and long foxtrot.

like, long retreating foxtrot > short DDP > stutterstep F-smash.

also, random things like approaching foxtrot > DDP retreating B-air (RAR retreating B-air reaches a little in front of you while a DDP retreating B-air reaches as far as the point you started DDP from - it has more retreating momentum. I have no idea what kind of implications that'd have lol)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Since I didn't see a Q&A thread I thought this would be the next best place to ask this.

I was messing around with Sonic earlier and I found that you could do Down B> jump the spin dash and then try to repeat it. I found it to be rather useful since you can get them right before they land and their options are few.

Is this a valid tactic?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You mean the Sonic Loop of Win (SLOW)?

It can be valid since usually unless the opponent is shielding they get footstooled, and they get set up for a trap since they have to wake up one way or another.

Also we do a have a FAQ/ Q&A thread, where is it...?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
My two favorite options from SLOW are 1. Just rail them again or 2. Shield Cancel right outside their getup attack range since you can't tech FSJs and Fsmash their faces off.

Basically...yes XD
I'm dead serious, try it yourself :D
I don't have a Wii right now and you know it you ****ing asshat.

But yeah...if it works how I think...... we could throw a naner, slide, run from the slide and POTENTIALLY grab the banana again before it even touches the ground. Mind****s GALORE!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't have a Wii right now and you know it you ****ing asshat.
I actually totally forgot >_>

Sorry bro.

But yeah...if it works how I think...... we could throw a naner, slide, run from the slide and POTENTIALLY grab the banana again before it even touches the ground. Mind****s GALORE!
Yep :p

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
ANOTHER thing I wanna test is.... alright I've been skimming the Diddy boards since I brought up that Norfair thing because Diddy is always a character I wanted in Brawl and I thought it'd be a good time to learn some ****. There's a way people grab bananas by letting it hit the shield and jumping and immediately hitting Z. Are we fast enough to throw the naner, camaldash and grab them before they jump? If not Usmash would be cool too I guess.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ANOTHER thing I wanna test is.... alright I've been skimming the Diddy boards since I brought up that Norfair thing because Diddy is always a character I wanted in Brawl and I thought it'd be a good time to learn some ****. There's a way people grab bananas by letting it hit the shield and jumping and immediately hitting Z. Are we fast enough to throw the naner, camaldash and grab them before they jump? If not Usmash would be cool too I guess.
So...are you asking if you JCT a nanner, enter the "camaldash" (lol) and IF THEY SHIELD THE NANNNER that you just threw, and they try to do catch it OoS by Jumping+Z, can we react?

Well...if done correctly, Sonic will be sliding at the same speed and position as the nanner, so you can pretty much do anything I'd assume...I haven't tested this strategy on any real opponents yet, but it's basically like a flying nanner shield. It floats right in front of Sonic as he slides, and it can even be caught before it hits the ground.

So atm, I'd have to say yeah you could grab them. Unless they PS the nanner and grab you first if they have that kind of reaction speed...but more testing needs to be done against people who can react differently so we can understand what kind of options they have against it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I said i had this stuff in my banana thread forever ago lmao

you can JC F-throw from a fulldash and recatch.

Also, can't they just SH F-air catch the banana and hit you while you're throwing?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i think so boxob. that , and since you'll be in thier grill by the slide alone, the priority should be for them yo get you offa them, but if you are fast, you can slide, and fair right after to grab the naner and poke at thier shield. if you have time, (full hop fair perhaps,) you can still drop the naner on them if they dont oos correctly/at all.

maybe side b right after the slide?

can you z grab during UpB (on the way up)?

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
-[Down]
This looks the sexiest. The timing/spacing is a bit tricky, but it's nice. You slide and throw down as you pass the enemy (so you throw the item down as you slide so it hits the opponent) IMMEDIATLY after inputting the throw, pivot grab. The banana will hit the enemy, and got knocked into Sonic's pivot grab.
It'd be cool if you could Dthrow them back into the nana, but they'll probably be sent too far.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
anyone tried doing the cith setup while z-dropping the naner? its looks fun. so far im doing it with ASC>spinshot(tap z after to drop)>spring>dair back towards naner.

now im dropping a naner and a spring, with a dair following them. triple steak.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
anyone tried doing the cith setup while z-dropping the naner? its looks fun. so far im doing it with ASC>spinshot(tap z after to drop)>spring>dair back towards naner.

now im dropping a naner and a spring, with a dair following them. triple steak.
HA! thats amazing!

if you do it high enough, couldnt you pick the banana back up as soon as you land?

4nace

Smash Ace
Something that I have been playing with alot is side-B jump cancels in the air. It's alot of fun and i've found 3 generally useful situations for it, though there are more.

1. When someone is trying to come back jump out to them > Then charge side-B toward the level > Then when they are about to be above you, jump cancel the side-B > Back air at the height of the jump, or whenever they are close.

2. Full hop over someone > Then charge side-B back toward them after you have just passed them > Jump cancel the side-B immediately > Down air toward them if they have stayed or the ground or have just jumped to approach.

3. Jump away from someone > Side-B back toward them > Jump cancel to forward air is a nice wall if they follow you.

It's crazy good for mind-games as it cancels your momentum and if you can start doing attacks out of it quick enough it looks like you just stop in place and attack as the side-B time frame can be really short.

See if you guys can try it in your games =).

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
That wasn't the tier list. That was the tourney results thread. Sonic is doing well in tourneys.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That wasn't the tier list. That was the tourney results thread. Sonic is doing well in tourneys.
Yeah, Sonic's been on a winning steak lately.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Cam if that's your rug carpet thing, well then...

You need to tell me where you bought that.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cam if that's your rug carpet thing, well then...

You need to tell me where you bought that.
It's actually a car mat...but that's not how I use it XD

I got it at the DMV in my area...lmao

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Hey Everyone,

We are looking to get your feedback, your thoughts, and better understand you as a member of our community.

Please take a minute to fill out this brief Survey.

Click Here

Thanks! And as a added bonus one ultra lucky grand prize winner will receive 1 Billion Pride Points Paid out in High Fives (Ok haha, this may or may not happen but yeah do the Survey)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I want exactly one billion high fives.

With pride, no skimpin' out...

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
I want my high fives to be rings.

Shado did mention something very interesting. When me and him used Sonic on the UStream, we were hyped up to the fullest. Sonic really is getting that recognition.

But, to be truthful, I hope Sonic does stay Low Tier. I like it when i play higher tiers and beat them. NO JOHNS.

kirb92

Smash Rookie
Hey, I know I'm new to the site, but this feels like it's the social board for me. Anyway, I have a question. Is Sonic still banned in most tournaments? If so, why? There are cheaper characters in the game (cough cough marth, cough cough Ike).

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Hey, I know I'm new to the site, but this feels like it's the social board for me. Anyway, I have a question. Is Sonic still banned in most tournaments? If so, why? There are cheaper characters in the game (cough cough marth, cough cough Ike).
If Sonic is banned in tournaments you go to, it's most likely to be a very low leveled tournament.

Welcome to Smash Boards, you're likely going to improve here. Try to post intelligently :O

Sonic is by a long shot not cheap and there's no reason for him to banned.
If you got any Sonic-related questions you should probably ask them in the rFAQ thread (scroll down a bit, you'll find it) or in here for some general advice.
Hope to see you around :)

Top Bottom