• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Im skeptical about the whole room being a hint thing, but I noticed the pillow and chairs could resemble Shantae rotated 90°. I can’t post the picture, but basically the pillow could be her pants, the purple chair could be her hair, and the yellow chair could be either her hairclip or the piece of headwear she wears on her forehead (does anyone know what that is? I’ve always wondered what it is and why she wears it.)

Edit: The pillow could also be her shoes. I also want to reiterate that despite the fact that I’m pointing this out, I’m still skeptical about it. I’d trust a possible NDA far more than this.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
But we aren't just analyzing the chairs. We are looking at the room as a whole. Heck, the quote above stressed this.
That's my point. I'd understand if maybe there werr some Shantae figures hiding in the background. But its just furniture. Like... that's all that's there. It just comes off as a little too desperate for hints. Not just Shantae fans but Skull Kid as well.

I don't think they'd waste money buying furniture in certain colors just to hint at something.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Premium users (like me) are allowed to "prank" other users and give them a pink username.

I did it. ;)
Ohh... Well I do like it. I hope it stays for a while :)
You had me going there for a minute though! It felt like Serial Experiments Lain; I was doubting my reality! D:
Noooooo.

I think it's just the set up they have. I don't know, man. I'm all for fun speculation but when we start analyzing furniture colors... then I think some lines are being crossed. Purple and yellow could literally be anyone and anything. Same with the couch colors.

I mean, don't you guys find it a little silly to believe that they went out and bought specific colors of furniture just to hint at a new character?

The DK stuff in the back makes a tad bit of since. But this? Idk. I'm not seeing the same thing you guys are. Especially if it's Shantae because her two primary colors are purple and red. Not purple and yellow.
I'm with you on that. All the furniture stuff is getting a bit out of hand lol
Not here i mean, cuz i haven't really been following this thread closely lately; I'm actually surprised it's almost reached a 100 pages already. I mean everywhere, every site with the furniture theories. Even if a persons character does get in, it doesn't prove their furniture theories were right, right? lul

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That's my point. I'd understand if maybe there werr some Shantae figures hiding in the background. But its just furniture. Like... that's all that's there. It just comes off as a little too desperate for hints. Not just Shantae fans but Skull Kid as well.

I don't think they'd waste money buying furniture in certain colors just to hint at something.
you gotta admit thouh, hint or not those purple and yellow chairs together stick out like all hell.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Noooooo.

I think it's just the set up they have. I don't know, man. I'm all for fun speculation but when we start analyzing furniture colors... then I think some lines are being crossed. Purple and yellow could literally be anyone and anything. Same with the couch colors.

I mean, don't you guys find it a little silly to believe that they went out and bought specific colors of furniture just to hint at a new character?

The DK stuff in the back makes a tad bit of since. But this? Idk. I'm not seeing the same thing you guys are. Especially if it's Shantae because her two primary colors are purple and red. Not purple and yellow.
forgive me for taking your comment about the chairs, and basically u-turning it to escalate into general interior design speculation, where my mind was was more the need to take the whole room into consideration should someone want to use that as evidence. because otherwise it doesn't work in tandem with the idea of Sakurai hinting at newcomers with set pieces, like how people suspect he was hinting at K. Rool in the E3 direct.

though i guess i did pose the question to the forum, and it took off from there. whether he is hinting at things or not, I find it all in good fun to speculate about.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
forgive me for taking your comment about the chairs, and basically u-turning it to escalate into general interior design speculation, where my mind was was more the need to take the whole room into consideration should someone want to use that as evidence. because otherwise it doesn't work in tandem with the idea of Sakurai hinting at newcomers with set pieces, like how people suspect he was hinting at K. Rool in the E3 direct.

though i guess i did pose the question to the forum, and it took off from there. whether he is hinting at things or not, I find it all in good fun to speculate about.
Purple and yellow are each other's natural contrast, like blue and orange.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Funny thing, I was making a reference to DBZ Abridged and you saying Super Shantae just made me imagine Shantae going Super Saiyan.
Too easy.

You can play as super saiyan Shantae if you use this for smash crusade
https://gamebanana.com/skins/159960

I would be lying if I didn't say I feel a small sense of victory whenever we pass another character thread in number of posts lol. Next stop, Geno's thread.
I'd like to think Super Saiyan Shantae is the physical manifestation of this thread becoming more and more powerful.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I still can't help but feel like the whole background more closely resembles Skull Kid, but I'm not going to rely on that hypothesis. Massive Hero Sock Cry does unpredictable things.

You cannot grasp the true form of Sakurai's attack...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Wow. I joined at around 30 pages about a month ago, and now this thread has skyrocketed up to almost 100 pages. Keep the hype rolling!

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Almost there, and I've yet to see any hate since the first page.

Incredible!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I think the room layout is definitely a hint but I think it's for Skull Kid. Just guessing they'd use it for a first party over a third. If it did end up being for Shantae I would lose it.

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
Was lurkin this topic since some days... Its really interesting to see how many clues we can have about shantae in smash. Personnally, Shantae and Paper mario are the only character I really want to have in smash (as playable character..) and even if they don't appear, I will still be happy with the final game (castlevania *** yeah!).
Btw about some pokeman rep.. (I really love gen5, I will be really happy with that but its just a joke from me x) )

Btw, speakin about trophies, I think shantae's transformations could be include (crab, elephant, monkey, harpy, spider etc..), maybe a trophy of scuttle town and some recurring NPC/ennemies like the bath girl, the merchant, the mermaid ennemy or even the naga/scorpion lady/slime girl....giga mermaid??? lol nope.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cool, nearly 100 pages. ^_^

As for Rayman, I always figured he'd be post game DLC in anycase. Could still happen

I'm thinking Shantae will be in the base game if she's in at all.

D

Deleted member

I just kinda hope that the next character reveal will be entirely unrelated to the chair colours and whatever else is in the room so people won't be so obsessed with it.

It's as if so many believes there's some sorta math equation we can solve, and presto! We now know 100% who's the next one!

All that, and the constant leak talk, I get so bored of it, man.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Some people on twitter are in denial with the whole Rayman being deconfirmed basically thanks to Ubisoft. Heck to the point were one user actually thinks a "none compete clause" is not a real thing lol. Can you believe that?

Oh well, we just have to wait for their eventual meltdown. I did warn them not to go after Sakurai and Ubisoft the way Waluigi fans did when he got AT'd again.

EDIT: Well Sakurai has been known to put hints in the things he does. Heck people thought that the Palutena gameplay leak was real to the point that when she actually got revealed for Smash 4 the guy who created that "leak" outright stated he made that thing. It was a surprise but it is more if a "boy who cried wolf yet an actual wolf came the villagers stopped it then the boy told the villagers he lied about it" type of thing.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Wait. I think I blinked and missed something. What happened to my boi, Rayman. Is he out of the 3rd party race already?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Some people on twitter are in denial with the whole Rayman being deconfirmed basically thanks to Ubisoft. Heck to the point were one user actually thinks a "none compete clause" is not a real thing lol. Can you believe that?

Oh well, we just have to wait for their eventual meltdown. I did warn them not to go after Sakurai and Ubisoft the way Waluigi fans did when he got AT'd again.

EDIT: Well Sakurai has been known to put hints in the things he does. Heck people thought that the Palutena gameplay leak was real to the point that when she actually got revealed for Smash 4 the guy who created that "leak" outright stated he made that thing. It was a surprise but it is more if a "boy who cried wolf yet an actual wolf came the villagers stopped it then the boy told the villagers he lied about it" type of thing.
I don't think being in Brawlhalla stops him from being in Smash. Ubisoft owns Blue Mammoth. It'd be pretty weird to have a no compete clause on yourself. If he's not in it's just because he's not in.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I don't think being in Brawlhalla stops him from being in Smash. Ubisoft owns Blue Mammoth. It'd be pretty weird to have a no compete clause on yourself. If he's not in it's just because he's not in.
As people have said, Ubisoft would be shooting themselves in the foot. What possible reason would they have to put him into a fighting game that isn't Smash and then put him into Smash too? Where would the majority of players go? Smash.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I do think it hurts Rayman's chances in Smash. Nobody is going to buy their game to play as Rayman if Rayman is in Smash. I'm inclined to agree with most people who say that the Brawlhalla appearance is a consolation prize and that he's either not in the game or is an assist trophy. That also aligns with Shovel Knight, who does appear in fighting games that are Smash clones, but not Smash itself as a playable character.

Which makes you wonder why Shantae isn't in any of these Smash clones. Sure, it could be WayForward being picky, but it could also be an exclusivity contract with Nintendo - a contract they wouldn't make them sign if Shantae is a simple assist trophy.

I will still say that if Shantae isn't in the base roster, she will be a DLC character.

Last edited:

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Exactly the whole "shooting yourselves in the foot" is the whole reason why Rayman can't be in two Smash like games that are being released within the same window. You can have character in multiple fighting games so long as the genre of said fighting game isn't the same. Smash is a crossover platform fighting game while things like Blade Strangers is more of a pure crossover fighting game.

This is why I know Rayman's chances of being a playable fighter in Smash has literally gone down a black hole.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Brawlhalla has its fanbase, and it's not as small a game as people would think. I distinctly recall it had a decent presence in Dreamhack Austin this year when i attended, and they get thousands of entrants for online championship tournaments regularly (at least according to smash.gg). I doubt that people will just outright drop the game just because Rayman is also in Ultimate. it'll also definitely give the game attention for people who never knew about the game, or are interested to at least try out the game before Ultimate releases, whether Rayman is in Ultimate or not.

I honestly don't think it matters as much as people are thinking. sure it might not be the "best" PR move, but it did definitely garner interest to their product. I'm not huge on Brawlhalla, but I'll definitely play it because of Rayman.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Brawlhalla has its fanbase, and it's not as small a game as people would think. I distinctly recall it had a decent presence in Dreamhack Austin this year when i attended, and they get thousands of entrants for online championship tournaments regularly (at least according to smash.gg). I doubt that people will just outright drop the game just because Rayman is also in Ultimate. it'll also definitely give the game attention for people who never knew about the game, or are interested to at least try out the game before Ultimate releases, whether Rayman is in Ultimate or not.

I honestly don't think it matters as much as people are thinking. sure it might not be the "best" PR move, but it did definitely garner interest to their product. I'm not huge on Brawlhalla, but I'll definitely play it because of Rayman.
Except we have already an example of this kind of thing happening. Snake in Brawl prevented him from being in Playstation All Stars. While Raiden was chosen to represent the Metal Gear franchise while he is also an Assist Trophy in Brawl. So yeah anyone who knows what happened back then know that if a character appears in any official Smash clone games then their chances as a playable fighter in the true Smash game drops down to unlikely. At best Rayman can get in as an AT.

EDIT: Or was it Gray Fox.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, people have been falling for that fake Sakurai going around on a misleading spree (Sora_Sakuraii, with two "i"'s), whom seems to mainly exist in Twitter for now.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Except we have already an example of this kind of thing happening. Snake in Brawl prevented him from being in Playstation All Stars. While Raiden was chosen to represent the Metal Gear franchise while he is also an Assist Trophy in Brawl. So yeah anyone who knows what happened back then know that if a character appears in any official Smash clone games then their chances as a playable fighter in the true Smash game drops down to unlikely. At best Rayman can get in as an AT.

EDIT: Or was it Gray Fox.
It's Gray Fox. Raiden wasn't fortunate enough to make it into Smash.

Top Bottom