• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Except we have already an example of this kind of thing happening. Snake in Brawl prevented him from being in Playstation All Stars. While Raiden was chosen to represent the Metal Gear franchise while he is also an Assist Trophy in Brawl.

EDIT: Or was it Gray Fox.
is there a source on this? I haven't heard of this specific circumstance.

also yes, Gray Fox is the AT.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
IT'S TIME FOR THE SHANTAE FOR SMASH 100 PAGE CELEBRATION TO BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Any way Snake not being in PSASBR was because of the none compete clause. Just think of it like baseball. A single player can't compete for two major league teams at the same time.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Even if Shantae isn't in Smash, it doesn't make sense that she is in other crossover indie games, but not in the fighting ones. WayForward seems like they enjoy promoting her and would jump at the chance to place her in games with other popular indie characters. You could say that WF is being protective of the character, but then why put her in any crossover game at all? I doubt Nintendo would care if she was in other fighting games if she was only an assist trophy. Putting it all together makes the whole thing very suspicious and out of character for WayForward.

And the fact that we've hit 100 pages just shows how much demand there is for Shantae in Smash.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Even if Shantae isn't in Smash, it doesn't make sense that she is in other crossover indie games, but not in the fighting ones. WayForward seems like they enjoy promoting her and would jump at the chance to place her in games with other popular indie characters. You could say that WF is being protective of the character, but then why put her in any crossover game at all? I doubt Nintendo would care if she was in other fighting games if she was only an assist trophy. Putting it all together makes the whole thing very suspicious and out of character for WayForward.

And the fact that we've hit 100 pages just shows how much demand there is for Shantae in Smash.
Exactly. WayForward's silence on the matter isn't helping Shantae's case of "just being an AT".

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Woo! Congrats on page 100!
I really do hope the chairs are for Shantae but I personally have no idea.
Sakurai loves hints that are obvious in hindsight, and while this is almost definitely a hint, I feel like it's one of those.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey, happy 100 everybody! So happy to see Shantae having this much active support.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
100 pages filled with love and support for Shantae! Not to forget tons of speculation that only leads us to believe that she might actually be in... that's quite amazing! It's just weird to me that every piece of new information gets tied to possibly increasing Shantae's chances one way or another.

Whether she ends up being in or not, or an assist, I'd be really curious as to why she was chosen or why not. For so long we've been trying to figure out what is going on and I kind of really want to know how it all happened.
I really hope they touch on that just a little if she were to be revealed.

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed. Keep up the amazing work guys!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its crazy how many pages we have, more so then a lot of other popular fighters...

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
We went from page 18 to 100 in less than a month after the Shovel Knight AT reveal.

Oh my Genie.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I have to say, I don't think I've quite seen speculation like Shantae speculation. She might not have much hard evidence, but she does have tons and tons of theoretical and circumstantial evidence. When you add all of that up, it becomes something bigger.

You can still be convicted of a crime based on circumstantial evidence so I say that her chances are good, and it's not over until we see her deconfirmed.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Happy 100 pages everyone!! Another thing I've noticed is that the hate on my Shantae videos has been steadily growing as time goes on...perhaps because non-Shantae and anti-Shantae fans are becoming more "threatened" by the possibility that she could actually be a playable fighter.

Senkuu

Smash Rookie
Congrats on 100 pages everybody!

It's absolutely stunning to see THIS much love and support for Shantae. This just goes to show that there's still people that will support her even if everyone else is in doubt of her inclusion, if we keep this up 200 might not be as far as we think. So keep up the support everybody and NEVER LOSE HOPE!

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Happy 100. Let's hope we get some concrete news before we get 200.

Staarih

Smash Master
Happy 100 pages and congrats and thank you! Awesome to have this thread made it this far. Again, my personal life is super duper busy at the moment, but I've tried to keep up with this thread as best as I can.

As for hate for Shantae... I dunno, I never really get where "hate" for some characters even come from, it's weird. I find it to be quite petty to come and spread negativity in any support groups, where all we want is to see one of our favorite characters in Smash - much like any other support groups. I've always been in the mentality of letting anyone support whoever they want, no matter how "impossible" they are, and not jump on them.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Happy 100 pages everyone!! Another thing I've noticed is that the hate on my Shantae videos has been steadily growing as time goes on...perhaps because non-Shantae and anti-Shantae fans are becoming more "threatened" by the possibility that she could actually be a playable fighter.
Yeah, I've been seeing more of this as well myself. Like in the Geno support thread for instance.

I don't understand why we can't just get along. Why does everything have to be a pissing contest about who's likely and who isn't? Like you need to have legal documentation and a lawyer present if you want to support a character. >_>

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah, I've been seeing more of this as well myself. Like in the Geno support thread for instance.

I don't understand why we can't just get along. Why does everything have to be a pissing contest about who's likely and who isn't? Like you need to have legal documentation and a lawyer present if you want to support a character. >_>
The only thing we can do is live and let live. Just go on with our own business when they start throwing their jarate everywhere. They're going to react like immature kids if anyone aside from their "lord and savior™" isn't in Smash anyways.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
It's not just Geno fans. Its basically all the characters that are heavily leaked constantly by "leakers" that are showing hate towards Shantae.

It's going to happen either now or later. They fear she will take their characters spot and say she doesn't deserve to be in.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It's not just Geno fans. Its basically all the characters that are heavily leaked constantly by "leakers" that are showing hate towards Shantae.

It's going to happen either now or later. They fear she will take their characters spot and say she doesn't deserve to be in.
I'm not sure it's the people who have supported such characters for the long run (maybe a few). My bet is that it's most likely those who bandwagoned the "leaks" just so they could support the "winning" characters.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
What we know is that this is going to be a very turbulent time. But as long as we stand proud and keep our ideals, even in the face of inevitable defeat, we can rise above our salt and show them kindness and compassion. That and dancing through the danger, though I dunno about that.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I do think we're seeing more Shantae hate now, particularly in the Geno thread for some reason, but elsewhere as well. People are being childish if you ask me.

I also keep on trying to come up with reasons why Shantae couldn't be in Smash and honesty nothing comes to mind. The closest negative I could come up with is Sakruai picking another random transforming character that nobody asks for over her. She's a character with much more positives than negatives going for her.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Okee dokes. Let's say we were Sakurai and we wanted to design this sort of Shantae that represents her entire character throughout her four games. How would you go through with it? Would you want to design her to look like her original self or base it off her most popular incarnation (Pirate's Curse)? Would her attacks be purely magic based, purely pirate based, or a combination of both?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Yeah, it seems that a lot of the hate Shantae is getting now is because people are realizing that she COULD be in. Pre-ballot she was pretty much a silent contender with her few, loyal supporters, but now that Indie representation is actually a thing, people feel that she’s a legitimate threat, and they could use her as a scapegoat in case their favorite doesn’t make it in, since she’ll most definitely be labeled as the “least deserving” newcomer.

Honestly, I’m not letting any of that bother me. If she makes it in I’ll be so thrilled that I won’t even care for the hate. Probably the happiest I’ll be since Rosalina and Pac-Man were revealed.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Congrats on 100 pages!

Also part of me hopes that the whole interior design is a clue just so next time Sakurai is talking in some sort of room, it can have the strangest, most garish interior design and actually mean nothing.

Also as for design, I'd kind of want her to be mostly magic based with a couple pirate tools thrown in. Also having the vest from Pirate's Curse would be neat, it's a cute vest!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
way to go. we made to the big times :p
We were at page 50 not long ago too ;p

shantae ftw

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I wish I was awake when we hit 100, but congratulations everybody! Glad to be a part of this crazy rollercoaster.

Okee dokes. Let's say we were Sakurai and we wanted to design this sort of Shantae that represents her entire character throughout her four games. How would you go through with it? Would you want to design her to look like her original self or base it off her most popular incarnation (Pirate's Curse)? Would her attacks be purely magic based, purely pirate based, or a combination of both?
I personally think she’d be more unique if they put more focus on her magical half. As for what approach he may take is a bit harder to determine. In some cases he focuses on continuity (Link’s moveset changes and Zelda being modeled from LBW instead of BotW) and in others popularity (Ganondorf returning to his Oot design)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
People hating on Shantae just shows how unconfident they are with their own wanted character. We of #ShantaeForSmash have the extra benefit of the company/actor/creators being silent for YEARS on the matter and all the hints WF showed with stuff like Jammies Mode. We also have the advantage that Shantae is well received in Japan(getting her own figure and all) and fans drawings show that interest is there.

The feeling I had when it came to Palutena has now been surpassed by the feeling I have now with Shantae.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I think folks are spiteful towards her cause they feel she would take away from others much more "deserving" due to how limited unique newcomer slots seem to be this time around.

Which like I mentioned I've come to despise as a community based argument.

Top Bottom