• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Alright everyone. I've been gone from the party for a while in Japan for work, but now that I'm home we gotta support our girl in the next round of Slackerz's DLC tourney. She kicked ass last round, so let's demolish the Chorus Kids!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey guys, big news, New update to Bloodstained(the new game from castlevania creator), and Wayforward has joined them in helping make the game!

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Hey guys, big news, New update to Bloodstained(the new game from castlevania creator), and Wayforward has joined them in helping make the game!

Is this good news or bad news? What does it say about the game that they needed to bring another studio on board?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is this good news or bad news? What does it say about the game that they needed to bring another studio on board?
Well I mean hard to say. But they are assisting and WayForward really knows their stuff for making these sorts of games. They are probably assisting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
another company with their own style can help out with the development time since they can reduce and possibly have idea proposals. It does not mean Shantae is a guest star appearance guaranteed 100%.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Heads up everyone! Shantae is on todays RTC thread at the top of the forum! Go and rate! So far everyone's rating is.... quite low. I myself could only put her at 20% myself. She still has a chance.
Well it's a good thing Nintendo's choosing the DLC now ain't it, not like some fan polls are gonna change anything but it still hurts to see the community reception so low.
It could mean both good and bad things so it's hard to tell. That being said companies working together on projects is not uncommon and sometimes can turn out for the better. I'm having a hard time thinking how the Neptunia series would be without both Compile Heart and IF so I think it should be good thing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well it's a good thing Nintendo's choosing the DLC now ain't it, not like some fan polls are gonna change anything but it still hurts to see the community reception so low.

It could mean both good and bad things so it's hard to tell. That being said companies working together on projects is not uncommon and sometimes can turn out for the better. I'm having a hard time thinking how the Neptunia series would be without both Compile Heart and IF so I think it should be good thing.
She's still my 100% wanted DLC character. I am just keeping my expectations in check. I will keep pushing her for the game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, they already had a dev company or two bow out of the production, and the fanbase is getting restless. Luckily, WF finished up production on HGH recently, so they can help to actually get Bloodstained finished.

I wish I could say the same about Paprium...

She's still my 100% wanted DLC character. I am just keeping my expectations in check. I will keep pushing her for the game
In the meantime, make sure to support the fighter pass once details are out, warts and all, and push for a Wave 2. Small goals go a long way.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, they already had a dev company or two bow out of the production, and the fanbase is getting restless. Luckily, WF finished up production on HGH recently, so they can help to actually get Bloodstained finished.

I wish I could say the same about Paprium...

In the meantime, make sure to support the fighter pass once details are out, warts and all, and push for a Wave 2. Small goals go a long way.
Yeah I remember hearing that. Bloodstained has been looking great for awhile but more help, espcially from Wayforward, is not a bad thing

No matter who is in the fighter pass I am getting it. Lovew the game too much not to get it.

NukeA6

Smash Master

Best news I've seen for Bloodstained since that Castlevania 3 clone. Any small worries I've had for that game are completely erased. Anyone know one WayForward game that sucks?
And don't say Double Dragon Neon or Bloodrayne Betrayal because those are great games

zferolie

Smash Hero
Best news I've seen for Bloodstained since that Castlevania 3 clone. Any small worries I've had for that game are completely erased. Anyone know one WayForward game that sucks?
And don't say Double Dragon Neon or Bloodrayne Betrayal because those are great games
Oh man I totally forgot about that Bloodrayne game. That was really good. Honestly all the bloodrayne games I enjoyed... shame the series is dead...

D

Deleted member

Soooooo.....is this gonna be a thing now?
A838B24C-E19B-431A-8AE6-9131EDC074E3.jpeg

Art by: anaugi on devianart

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Rating Day? Does that mean my negativity's warranted?

Basically, fan support is all we had left and we lost that, too. Anyone that isn't on this support thread HATES Shantae. Everyone who isn't me or someone on this thread is giving her a 0% want score. At this point, people want Steve over her. Steve's been beating Shantae on all of the fan polls, Steve's more relevant, and now RTC is grinding her to shreds. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more unironic Sans supporters than Shantae supporters. People HATE Shantae. She's also so obscure to the point in which if there was a spirit to be promoted to fighter status, it wouldn't be her. Also, notice how she's the character they keep showing off in promotional material. She's the Waluigi of spirits. In fact, she's the next Waluigi, period. People absolutely hate her, she's used to promote a non-fighter role, and she's a bit of a meme for not being in. There's no more evidence in her favor, like the NDA, so non-supporters aren't likely to come and support her, and there are many other far more likely indie reps who are gonna take a possible indie slot. She's probably the least likely fighter to get into the game at this point, since all of the evidence for her has turned to evidence against her.

I really hope I'm wrong. (If no one's going to respond, I'm gonna leave again.) Edit: I was gonna respond, but I didn't wanna come off as standoffish

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Basically, fan support is all we had left and we lost that, too. Anyone that isn't on this support thread HATES Shantae. Everyone who isn't me or someone on this thread is giving her a 0% want score. At this point, people want Steve over her. Steve's been beating Shantae on all of the fan polls, Steve's more relevant, and now RTC is grinding her to shreds. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more unironic Sans supporters than Shantae supporters. People HATE Shantae. She's also so obscure to the point in which if there was a spirit to be promoted to fighter status, it wouldn't be her. Also, notice how she's the character they keep showing off in promotional material. She's the Waluigi of spirits. In fact, she's the next Waluigi, period. People absolutely hate her, she's used to promote a non-fighter role, and she's a bit of a meme for not being in. There's no more evidence in her favor, like the NDA, so non-supporters aren't likely to come and support her, and there are many other far more likely indie reps who are gonna take a possible indie slot. She's probably the least likely fighter to get into the game at this point, since all of the evidence for her has turned to evidence against her.

I really hope I'm wrong. (If no one's going to respond, I'm gonna leave again.)
I am pretty sure you are wrong. You are judging so much on one thread on one site in this one corner of the internet. I mean, just look at the outpouring of fan art that happened after her reveal as a spirit. Support like that may be a bit more quiet now, but it is not gone. People just don't flip on a dime like that.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

This is a strawman of epic stretching porportions if you've got to resort to fan polls from a select group of people to fuel your negativity.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For tomorrow on the 7 Days or 1 Week Mark, Kirby Star Allies will be releasing Wave 3 for free. In case you want something to occupy some time.

Capture+_2018-11-29-08-50-48.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'll tell you all why rating is a joke. Especially with percents. Saying someone has 20% chance of being in basically assumes Nintendo gave only 5 choices and Sakurai had to pick just one. Or that the selection works via literal ballot and the fighter is selected by pulling one name randomly from a box, and you happen to know the contents. Even when you get outside making up odds, the discussion that results is a joke too, because at the end of the day everything is speculation and conjecture. One person's "evidence" is a another's baloney or evidence in the other direction. Without real evidence everything can be spun or ignored.

All I know is, unless Commander Video snuck back in without anyone noticing, and other than Shovels-his-way-into-everything Knight, Shantae is the only indie franchise to get representation in Ultimate, and a fairly notable one at that. That has to count for something.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Shut up Hollywood

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Like I said before Nintendo's calling the shots, not the fans. The community has already done their part in showing their interest in Shantae and Nintendo has made their list. What happens now is irrelevant to the state of the DLC unless it's something really big.
You're entitled to your own opinion of course but keep in mind the circumstances that are before us if you want to see the big picture.

Also I don't want to see people here mindlessly hating in Hollywood. He's voicing his opinion even if it is against many people here and he shouldn't be scrutinized because of it.

D

Deleted member

I found risky but aperently she’s a support spirit and she’s an advanced spirit while shantae is an ace

Now who’s ready to see the pirate queen of the seven seas posses a space pirate that people say he’s too big?

•Steve is starting to not becoming a problem anymore since verge said Minecraft is a boss. But it doesn’t rule out Steve just yet. it all might be a misinformation about him being a fighter but it’s not 100% confirmed. Also the people voting for Steve are verge believers and 10/12yr olds here’s some advice for you.....just ignore veggieben he knows nothing about dlc as an insider said and to me Steve’s starting to become less-likely for dlc right now.

•”obsucure” do you want me to show you this image again?
6705FF75-E94C-48F9-8BA8-2BAB0A991E72.jpeg

And the warioware lead designer also made another shantae drawing. And from the looks of it she seems to get noticed more with the whole shantae and Samus fan art. Nintendo knows who she is and so will others.

•Shantae is not starting to become waluigi because he’s a meme and she is not. People threatened sakurai because he was an at again. Shantae fans did not do the same. Instead they just thanked sakurai for adding her in the game

•”there are many other far more likely indie reps who are gonna take a possible indie slot.”

Let’s see....

Quote-not even. if he had a sequel

Cv-BIG maybe due to his spirit missing and cp being silent. Tbh I wouldn’t mind the little dude at all if he was the indie rep.

Sans-a meme. Moving on ness is sans

Remiu-no Nintendo history no entry

Gunvolt-not happening after what INTI creates said

It’s ether her or cv but there are no rules that there has to be only one indie rep so it could be both.

It seems you’re having a rough time probably what people said about her.

Here’s a video just to brighten up your day

Sakurai deleted mexico for leaking smash early lol

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero

I did see your post in the rating, and I did disagree with your completely on her chances. Yes, her chances aren't the best, but I still think she has a chance. As for the hate... I see it, but honestly its best to ignore it. So what if she's getting zeros? does that mean anything in the full spectrum of things. I mean, my god, we got a Piranha plant coming, Sakurai and Nintendo will do whatever the **** they want.

Who knows maybe that Matt tweet was all a set up, maybe it means nothing, we just don't know. Will she show up? I hope so. I did give her only 20% but I wanted to give her 50, but I felt that may show off as being biased.

I found risky but aperently she’s a support spirit and she’s an advanced spirit while shantae is an ace

Now who’s ready to see the pirate queen of the seven seas posses a space pirate that people say he’s too big?

•Steve is starting to not becoming a problem anymore since verge said Minecraft is a boss. But it doesn’t rule out Steve just yet. it all might be a misinformation about him being a fighter but it’s not 100% confirmed. Also the people voting for Steve are verge believers and 10/12yr olds here’s some advice for you.....just ignore veggieben he knows nothing about dlc as an insider said and to me Steve’s starting to become less-likely for dlc right now.

•”obsucure” do you want me to show you this image again?
View attachment 180616
And the warioware lead designer also made another shantae drawing. And from the looks of it she seems to get noticed more with the whole shantae and Samus fan art. Nintendo knows who she is and so will others.

•Shantae is not starting to become waluigi because he’s a meme and she is not. People threatened sakurai because he was an at again. Shantae fans did not do the same. Instead they just thanked sakurai for adding her in the game

•”there are many other far more likely indie reps who are gonna take a possible indie slot.”

Let’s see....

Quote-not even. if he had a sequel

Cv-BIG maybe due to his spirit missing and cp being silent. Tbh I wouldn’t mind the little dude at all if he was the indie rep.

Sans-a meme. Moving on ness is sans

Remiu-no Nintendo history no entry

Gunvolt-not happening after what INTI creates said

It’s ether her or cv but there are no rules that there has to be only one indie rep so it could be both.

It seems you’re having a rough time probably what people said about her.

Here’s a video just to brighten up your day

Sakurai deleted mexico for leaking smash early lol
Doesn't look like Risky was censored either.

I still think Reimu has a chance too. More and more touhou is appearing on nintendo stuff, and ZUN has said he wants to work with nintendo. Plus she is an icon indie character. Not saying I want her more then shantae but she has a chance.

I am pretty sure that first part was racist but I was laughing my ass off anyway

NukeA6

Smash Master

I really hope I'm wrong. (If no one's going to respond, I'm gonna leave again.) Edit: I was gonna respond, but I didn't wanna come off as standoffish
I only seen 2 who put 0% in the want score with plenty of abstains. You're exaggerating. Besides, didn't you list her chances as lower than Goku and Shrek?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Why is it every time I come here we have that one person who has their entire faith break with even the smallest bit of doubt? Like, c'mon guys...

First of all, people don't hate Shantae. If you check out other places like the subreddit, Shantae is a common (positive) mention whether the discussion relating to spirits and fighters comes up. She's fairly similar to characters such as Bandana Dee, who also was revealed to be a spirit. Stop being so negative. It isn't warranted, and its more or less just trying to be the party pooper. She does have a chance, and she is just as viable as other characters. I've been following the speculation scene since August, and she is around the same level as many other characters, and is not nearly as obscure as people say she is. If you want obscure, look for someone hoping for Welkin Gunther as a SEGA rep or Maximilian as a Level-5 rep. Relax.

Have a little faith and stop breaking under even the slightest pressure.

In other, more positive discussion... who here is getting the game on release? I would, but I can't actually get started with a Switch until Christmas, but it seems like thats relatively common. Those who aren't getting it on release are waiting until Christmas to get it, which is quickly making it almost like a second "launch day", and there will likely be a second influx of players.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why is it every time I come here we have that one person who has their entire faith break with even the smallest bit of doubt? Like, c'mon guys...

First of all, people don't hate Shantae. If you check out other places like the subreddit, Shantae is a common (positive) mention whether the discussion relating to spirits and fighters comes up. She's fairly similar to characters such as Bandana Dee, who also was revealed to be a spirit.

In other, more positive news... who here is getting the game on release? I would, but I can't actually get started with a Switch until Christmas, but it seems like thats relatively common. Those who aren't getting it on release are waiting until Christmas to get it, which is quickly making it almost like a second "launch day", and there will likely be a second influx of players.
Same here, in no way is it gonna be a Christmas "surprise" but it'll still be magical seeing the opening start around my family. Maybe even challenge them to recognize the characters :p.

Starlink, Brawlhalla and Star Allies DLC will keep me occupied until then.

zferolie

Smash Hero

First of all, people don't hate Shantae. If you check out other places like the subreddit, Shantae is a common (positive) mention whether the discussion relating to spirits and fighters comes up. She's fairly similar to characters such as Bandana Dee, who also was revealed to be a spirit. Stop being so negative. It isn't warranted, and its more or less just trying to be the party pooper. She does have a chance, and she is just as viable as other characters. I've been following the speculation scene since August, and she is around the same level as many other characters, and is not nearly as obscure as people say she is. If you want obscure, look for someone hoping for Welkin Gunther as a SEGA rep or Maximilian as a Level-5 rep. Relax.

In other, more positive discussion... who here is getting the game on release? I would, but I can't actually get started with a Switch until Christmas, but it seems like thats relatively common. Those who aren't getting it on release are waiting until Christmas to get it, which is quickly making it almost like a second "launch day", and there will likely be a second influx of players.
Yeah, true. no way anyone is lower then goku.

I am just trying to keep myself set in realistic I guess. I want to say she's 50%, I do. I feel like it can go either way. Once though we find out offically about spirits having a chance, then I will be much more confident saying 50% or even more!

I'm getting it at launch. My gamestop has a midnight release with a tourny too. I even took off friday so I can just stay home and play

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Considering that Iga technically doesn't seem to have an actual full on studio himself yet, I'd say all the help he can get is a good thing. I'm glad this has happened, maybe they can get some steam going. The Castelvania-style 8-bit game was neat, but merely an appetizer for the main course.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, when Nintendo does it, I imagine it's almost like a tutoring session with how they supervise things (Mercury Steams on Samus Returns).

...wait, why are Metroidvanias always the games that have fresh new devs called to work on them?

D

Deleted member

I am pretty sure that first part was racist but I was laughing my *** off anyway
How would it? I don’t see anything racist in this it’s just showing what happened there plus
They leaked the game in the first place

If they didn’t then this vid wouldn’t be a thing

Plus this guy is funny he made 2 more vids about the smash leaks

Doesn’t seem to be a problem

Her in a fighting game is a bad thing for her chances

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm "getting" the game on release but I have finals the very next week so I won't really have time to play it until I get home on like the 14-15th which sucks because my feed will be full of everyone else having fun with the game while I'm stuck studying.
Why does life have to be so cruel?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Very comforting words there, bud. :p
At least it wouldn't be for censorship reasons. Shantae series is too cutesy for that (while Xenoblade is most definitely not cutesy). :smash:

Preach.

Whether or not I get the game depends on a few factors, like the amount of money I got at the moment and when I actually get a Switch and wait before splurging on the New 3DS or not.

Oh, and get on this channel if you want some of the tunes that got saved from the purge for now: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0RrkcsXybeV_uu5VuWRtOg/videos

D

Deleted member

You know guys

I’m just glad she and risky are spirits and not at’s and when you look at it

Spirits don’t seem like a bad idea after all
5C2B5936-0F0A-4026-A18A-3C0E4E48545A.jpeg

I’m all up for shantae for dlc till the end of the line.:)
AF11265F-929C-4B38-8EED-CBCBDF1DD75B.jpeg

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Wanted to chime in something and I hate to be kinda a debbie downer with this but please respect what I'm about to say guys...

Is she one to make headlines at all?

Mainly cause I strongly feel the DLC picks are gonna be these that'll make the front page of all gaming or entertainment sites.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wanted to chime in something and I hate to be kinda a debbie downer with this but please respect what I'm about to say guys...

Is she one to make headlines at all?

Mainly cause I strongly feel the DLC picks are gonna be these that'll make the front page of all gaming or entertainment sites.
She'll easily make headlines. The very first Indie Playable character in the biggest fighting game? thats gonna be HUGE news. It will show the world that indie game companies are just as important as the big ones. Not that I don't already feel that way, but this is a huge thing for all current and future game developers. That one day your own creation can be on the same stage as Mario, Link, and Sonic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom