• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Approaches

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I know Sheik can space a bair to prevent being shield grabbed but are there any other viable ways to approach an opponent? Short of needle spam and switching over to Zelda it doesn't seem like there are many options for her camping game, therefore It makes sense to me to utilize her high speed and mobility to keep shield pressure up and your opponent on his toes.

Of course I could be wrong, I've only recently started playing around with Sheik and I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea to be aggresive with her. I'm wondering whether or not it's generally a good idea to camp or approach in most of her matchups.

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
i think most of the time you want to watch your opponent. like if he's far away camping then just camp him back with needles, and if he's doing a brickwall like jiggs wop then you can cut it short with chain, but if they're running at you then sheik can play a better aggressive game so you can attack into them at that point. sheik doesn't have much safe against shield except spaced chain, so pretty much you want to force them to be in a situation where they can't shield or aren't planning to shield so you can land a clean hit.

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
I like to dash dance in front of my opponent, and just keep moving so they dont know when I am going to actually go through with an attack. I never hold still during any match, and keep switching up the ways you attack, from the air, or ground, and never do the same thing twice.

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
but it doesn't even help you do anything except you feel like you're moving but you're really not.

feel like you're going fast =/= make the opponent think you're going fast

Tristan_win

Not dead.
DarE you avatar and signature remind me of Ankoku ^-^ are you him in disguise?

Anyways a retreating fair can also be used to hit a shield and then pull back out of grab range, also a ftilt and a ditlt can hit a shield with little optionally for punishment just as long as you don't spam it. If you do then they can time the their grab to snatch your leg either when it's coming towards them or away but for the most part people aren't going to shield grab you if you ftilt their shield once.

It should also be know that Sheik dtilt can hit people shields like Snake (I think there are more) while still being out of grab range because of how low sheik is press against the ground.

She literary ducks the grab.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Lie and pretend you're Spanish.

OT, Shiek has great shield pressure with jabs and F Tilt. DACUS is un-shieldgrabbable when spaced correctly. SH Chain is completely safe against some characters and against those it's not you can still surprise them occasionally and retract before they can counter. SH F Air to DJ whatever also works great.

demodemo

Smash Ace
haha literary ducks, too good tristan, i had to read that sentence twice lmao

here is the list of reliable sheik approaches

- (rar'd) spaced bair

now some other ideas

after rar'd bair gets old (and trust me, it will get old) it will eventually be powershielded and even countered if your opponent has gay moves like MK dsmash

at this point psyche your opponent out with fullhop fast fall ****, and at this point it can be any aerial, but i usually sitll use bair. the goal is to get your opponent to time their shields wrong, (people will rarely hold their shield the whole time)

depending on the matchups, you can approach with fast falled nair, i think this works against olimar or something. i think fullhopped rising nair works too, but you have to DI away in case it get shielded

DA works too, but very situational. basically, if your opponent sees it coming, you are going to get punished. you can use a little DA at medium distances between your opponent, and spaced correctly you can go past their shield if they happen to shield it. (but they can turn around and grab since this move has like bleh cooldown)

don't do dacus unless you want to kill, or do it once in every couple of matches as a surprise, and hope you get the twohit usmash. otherwise it is not really worth it.

i am surprised ankoku didn't mention this, but running shield to downsmash seems to work, but not as a conventional approach, maybe more of an inbetween hits kind of thing.

all in all, all of her aerials work in every situation, and if you can manage to get off an fair then so be it, and ftilt away, but you just need to make sure you understand all of your options at all times. never underestimate the power of dashgrab

as for being aggressive or not, I play aggressively, but it depends on the matchup. any character that can easily powershield and counter a bair is (probably a really bad matchup for sheik) not a character you want to approach (eg metaknight). these matchups you HAVE to force approaches (with needles).

Some matchups like Ganon, doesn't matter if you approach or not, since they are going to get ***** either way. some characters like zss, is better if you are aggressive since sheik's defensive options are pretty meh against the side B, and its best to stay within close range of a zss. Some characters like Pikachu, it doesn't really matter. Just understand your matchup, and choose whether to be aggressive or not.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've been trying to get full needlestorm > DACUS to work but I always get so nervous and flustered that I miss my opportunity. I don't know for sure if this workes yet but I'll keep trying.

Sheik has beautiful off-stage abilities, so I often tether and hang until someone approaches, then SHAD up and hit with an aerial. Most of the time it's either weak f-air > f-tilt lock or b-air > edgeguard (perhaps chain pressure).

I don't use n-air nearly as much as I should.

From my experience f-smash works really well. On the rare occasion (mostly when playing Kirby) I get sheild-grabbed. I know it's not the best move, mosdef, but it works for me so... meh. Try it out.

I forget the name, but there's also the technique where you run at someone and pull up your sheild really quick.

Finally, again not the safest method, but I have NEVER been hit doing this, run right at someone (usually when they come off the respawn platform. They'll think you're going to attack but run right through them and stop behind them. Be wary of their movesets. Characters like Ike and Link have good surround range. Otherwise, they fall for the bait and you're free to attack from behind.

legion598

Smash Ace
shiek is great as an aggressive character Bair is most likely your safest shield pressure but i love Fair because although its fairly punishible if u do land it u get a free tilt lock which leads into tons of different follow ups

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
it all depends on the type of player your up against.

some people are more confident when they get to make the first move. some people freak out when you start coming at them like crazy, they make more mistakes.

usually though since shiek is a pretty freaking fast character you can just be lame and jump around charging needles... or even just throwing single needles over and over. you can play shiek campy... but i have little experience with this since i dont like to play lame haha.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Like <3 said, needles. And if they come to you... Ftilt when they mess up and have lag.

And like slick said, it depends what kind of player you are against, but I actually it depends more on the character you are playing against. But yeah... I also think SH->Nair->Jab is a pretty safe approach.

Villi

Smash Lord
Sheik has poor aerial mobility and not many shield safe options besides bairs. Bair is interesting in that it always sends opponents behind her. Spaced bairs are good, but they're also good for getting behind shields when Sheik is facing her opponent. It will push the shield behind Sheik so that when she lands, she'll end up behind them safe from shield grabs and ready to down smash.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
bair is so good it is probably my second favorite move. If spaced well there are a lot of characters who can't do anything.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i like to roll around shooting needles, then i do unpunishable stuff (or at least i try to make it unpunishable due to human error and reaction time) with fairs, bairs, jabs, ftilt, grab, or whatever

i only "approach" when they are close enough for me to do so quickly (aka when it would be unsafe to shoot needles)

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
i like to roll around shooting needles, then i do unpunishable stuff (or at least i try to make it unpunishable due to human error and reaction time) with fairs, bairs, jabs, ftilt, grab, or whatever

i only "approach" when they are close enough for me to do so quickly (aka when it would be unsafe to shoot needles)
Off topic, but, you just reminded me of Dr. House lmao.

And pretty much yeah, what chok said. Just be pretty much unpredictable.

Top Bottom