• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ that doesn't happen. I made that thing up before. Sorry

edit- new page ninja. Talking about the floor needles thing

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I used to hate FD vs Falco and think it's unwinnable. I don't care about it as much now. I still don't like it but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

I still think it's her worst level vs Falco easily but it's not as bad as FD vs ICs IMO.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I used to hate FD vs Falco and think it's unwinnable. I don't care about it as much now. I still don't like it but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

I still think it's her worst level vs Falco easily but it's not as bad as FD vs ICs IMO.
I don't know of anything worse than FD on IC's. Ban.

FD is very winnable vs Falco if your powershield game and techchasing are on for sureeee

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
Sunday @ESA5, we discussed about what are the betters options for Sheik after a Powershield.
Ice just answered WaveDash. Do you have any other move that you use after a PS (Personnaly i still don't know if I will PS so every time I'm just mind****ed)

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
And about PS against anything else ? (I play against a Link like twice a week lol)
Powershielding Falco's Dair is kinda easy so i always grab before the shine, and on laser i only PS when I'm far away so i always WD forward to approach him. Seems I should be more consistant when I PS close to Falco and WD->FTilt I think...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well psing things aside from laser does open a few more opportunities, depending on how fair away you are I would ftilt/up tilt into a grab.

I've been messing around edgeguarding falco's ledgehop dairs with PS dsmash and it's actually not incredibly difficult, if you wanna try that.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I don't think PS grab vs Falco's dair is any different to shield grab, I'd rather do PS -> utilt/dsmash.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think you can jump OoS against Falco lasers without too much trouble.

How safe of a predicament that sorta move lands you in is dependent on spacing, what stage you're on, and where Falco is.

Smooth Criminal

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
PSing a laser and PSing an aerial/smash have different effects.

If you ps a laser then it's essentially a projectile being reflected and you receive zero shield stun.

If you ps an attack certain things changes, the major difference is that shield stun still applies, you can only cancel it certain ways. I just don't remember if jumping cancels the stun.

Wait I read that wrong hahahah. Oh well I'll leave it here as a, the more you know thing lol.

stelzig

Smash Lord
And about PS against anything else ? (I play against a Link like twice a week lol)
Powershielding Falco's Dair is kinda easy so i always grab before the shine, and on laser i only PS when I'm far away so i always WD forward to approach him. Seems I should be more consistant when I PS close to Falco and WD->FTilt I think...
Jolteon and Teczero already said this, but I feel the need to repeat it...

Powershielding attacks DOES NOT reduce shiedstun. It only let's you cancel the shielddrop animation with other moves than grabbing. Shield>Grab is just as fast as powershield>grab and you should go for alot more grabs if the falco keeps Dairing you from so high. If you powershield falco's Dair, you would be better off trying to ftilt or something, at least if he is at a high enough percent for a combo. Jab, all tilts, and dsmash are all cool and faster options that sheik gets out of a powershield though - and definitely something I think at least PAL sheiks should work on doing more. Huge shield, and not as good stuff out of grabs to begin with.

Or maybe you just meant that you can shieldgrab because you get pushed back (you slide further back when powershielding), but I somehow doubt that :)

Edit: Jumping oos is not different either as jumping is already one of the moves you can do out of shield.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Haley you can't "cancel shieldstun". Fox's usmash and grab both come out on frame 7 so if you power shield into either one, they will start on the same frame and come out on the same frame. Powershielding just gives you more moves you can do

:phone:

lord karn

Smash Master
Haley you can't "cancel shieldstun". Fox's usmash and grab both come out on frame 7 so if you power shield into either one, they will start on the same frame and come out on the same frame. Powershielding just gives you more moves you can do

:phone:
I'm pretty sure the upsmash is one frame slower if you don't powershield, since you don't have to jump cancel it.

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
Didn't know about the fact shieldstun is the same after a PS.
So I don't know why i can grab Falco after that. I will experiment and find it btw.^^

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm pretty sure the upsmash is one frame slower if you don't powershield, since you don't have to jump cancel it.
Code:
U Smash

Total: 41
Hit: 7-17
Head invincible (but not snout): 1-9
Charge frame: 2
They both come out on frame 7. Directly OoS (without powershield) usmash can only start as soon as frame 8, since at least 1 frame of jumpsquat must happen before usmash can start. With a powershield, they both can come out on frame 7.

Wake

Smash Master
Well psing things aside from laser does open a few more opportunities, depending on how fair away you are I would ftilt/up tilt into a grab.

I've been messing around edgeguarding falco's ledgehop dairs with PS dsmash and it's actually not incredibly difficult, if you wanna try that.
PS dsmash is our trick!

lord karn

Smash Master
Another thing about powershielding is that for any physical move, you must hit shield within 4 frames of the move hitting the inner part of your shield (the circle that you see if you pause right when you shield). For projectiles, it has to be within 2 frames. This is why you see way more random powershields against aerials.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
you could always set a level 1 CPU as a dummy and try hitting some of your arials such as b-air at the very tip. Unfortunatly you needd people to learn good spacing this game has no good ****ing training mode

Hopland

Smash Rookie
How could I go about practicing my spacing with Sheik without access to other players?
I've been having trouble with this too. Here are some of the solutions that I have tried, let me know what you think. I would also love to hear what everybody else has to say.

1. Items: for spacing all moves. They don't move, and if you turn them on high enough, you can swing away. Not sure if there is a difference in hitlag between hitting items and shields/characters, but it's bound to be closer than swinging at air.

2. (2) CPUs on a team (team attack on): For me, I set one at lvl 7 and one at 9, and test out how I should space certain things. I find that usually one of the CPUs will get hit, and the other will just barely get missed if you space it right. This gives me more information on what to do if I f-- it up (often), and what the limits of the hitboxes are. There are big limitations to CPUs, but if nothing else, it's fun to try and see what you can get away with.

3. Pro Videos: Because my sheik is still a baby sheik. Pacifier chain and all. I typically try to find high-level sheiks (M2K, KK, etc.) versus someone a little lower on the rankings, because I feel like then you can see what a controlling Sheik's spacing is like, whereas even ranking matchups may ebb back and forth and confuse me as to whose spacing is correct.

I claim no liability for the preceding statements. These tips and tricks have not been reviewed by the FDA, and are not clinically proven.

Top Bottom