• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I saw facebook pics of forward, pc, jman

looked like a tiny stacked tourney
I haven't seen Forward or PC in ages.

Also, I'd stick to needles and platform camping for safety. Grabbing ICs is just way too much risk and way too little reward IMO. I don't mess with it.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
keep ics in their shield

don't get predictable with fairs otherwise they can just punish it

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I played PC with my Sheik this past weekend and I got utterly *****. The matches should be up within the next few days. I think I played like 3 Sheik ones and the rest were Falco.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
You could TRY reverse needle canceling a bair from the edge if you like.

It's needlessly flashy and risky though. xD

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wouldn't say needlessly. Could be useful if the person is attempting to bait a ledgehop fair by spacing outside it's range. Otherwise its about as dangerous as ledgehop fair (meaning you're probably dead if you get hit).

soap

Smash Hero
I do that all the time and it works really well.

if they are gonna space the bair out u can always just waveland back off the edge

Pikaville

I do that all the time and it works really well.

if they are gonna space the bair out u can always just waveland back off the edge
I was thinking that.

Have any of you ever tried hopping up with the chain?

I do it to people I'm comfortably winning against sometimes xD

But it's been ages since I played TBH.

DualCats

Smash Ace
The only time I intentionally use chain is when I'm trolling. But I use it to effectively ruin my recovery all the time.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Sometimes, it can be so startlingly unexpected that you get away with it scot free. :3 I'd still think it's a bad habit to get into, though; at higher levels of play no one is going to let that slide.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Utilt is my favorite anti air in the game (ok i lied, fox/falco's utilt is so much cheaper) because it leads into a free grab at low percents and combos into better stuff at higher percents. If you stand right below a platform's lip and utilt while they are on the platform above you, you are safe unless they specifically expect an utilt

soap

Smash Hero
i find it hard to use utilt on people that space well

a lil trick i do sometimes is empty sh utilt into peoples shield and they usually try to grab me and get hit.

if they shield the utilt I can usually just grab them after the utilt

but all of that is not guaranteed and risky

Zoler

Smash Ace
If you're playing a zelda, just uptilt her shield until she rolls, she can't do anything else. lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What about grab to allow the CC then dsmash. Also, jump back fair/bair to get out of the range of the utilt and hit you might work.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
zelda is airborne frame 7

Code:
U Tilt

Total: 33
Hit: 5-10, 19-24
IASA: 26
If the hitboxes hit on the first frame they are out, there is a 14 frame gap between hits and 12 frames after the 2nd hit. Unsure about shield stun, but I think its plausible that zelda can get airborne between hits. Once she is in the air her hurtbox would be out of range and allow her to punish.

Or at least thats my theory, i havent tested it.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
When I am on the ledge, what are the options I can do to get off of it safely?

I know to wavedash off the ledge, do a fair off the ledge and maybe a dair. Does anything else work?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you waveland on the stage quick enough you will still have enough invincibility frames to ftilt or shield

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Some help, Tec0? :(

Also plz get job in CT so we can chill all the time. ^_^

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
When I have some time I'll look it over. I'm too busy being lazy and roaming the boards I mod =3.

And sadly, I don't think I got it >_> they told me they'd get back to me really soon and its been ~ 2 weeks already :(

I'll let you know if I get it though <3

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
When I am on the ledge, what are the options I can do to get off of it safely?

I know to wavedash off the ledge, do a fair off the ledge and maybe a dair. Does anything else work?
if you ledgedash on quick enough you will have enough frames to do something.

dair is pretty unsafe, they can just cc it and send you off without a jump. fair is ok, so are retreat fairs while shino stalling, a lot of the time if you find that people are spacing away from your ledgehop fairs you can do something really basic like just a normal get-up or just sh on the stage. the priority is to get on the stage safely, you don't necessarily have to hit them while doing it or anything.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
When doing running upsmashs with sheik, or fox I suppose, do you guys do CC--->upsmash or JC upsmash?

What about after downthrow/uthrow's?

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Because JC upsmash is faster and a better option? Just trying to clarify, as this is going to take some habit changing haha.

also, a more vague question, when playing top tier characters, mainly Marth/Fox, what do you look for to react to? Once I get a hit I normally can react and know sheik well enough to do a combo and space from there, but whenever the spacing completely resets I sometimes find myself unsure of what is my best way to position myself or of the appropriate way to respond.
Mainly, if a fox/marth is DDing in your face, what do you do?
I always throw up my shield, get grabbed. Spot dodge, get grabbed. Do an aerial, get grabbed. I am starting to understand why waiting, dashing away, and WD back are so good/work.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I like SH Dairing when people do predictable dash attacks.

It's kind of cute.

It doesn't work vs Peach though because her dash attack hits really high and is ridiculous but oh well you can't beat them all (with SH Dair).

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Because JC upsmash is faster and a better option? Just trying to clarify, as this is going to take some habit changing haha.

also, a more vague question, when playing top tier characters, mainly Marth/Fox, what do you look for to react to? Once I get a hit I normally can react and know sheik well enough to do a combo and space from there, but whenever the spacing completely resets I sometimes find myself unsure of what is my best way to position myself or of the appropriate way to respond.
Mainly, if a fox/marth is DDing in your face, what do you do?
I always throw up my shield, get grabbed. Spot dodge, get grabbed. Do an aerial, get grabbed. I am starting to understand why waiting, dashing away, and WD back are so good/work.
To the first question, yes. JC upsmash is faster, you typically do a CC approach to react to something, as in you're trying to follow up. If you have a definite hit go for the JC upsmash.

The 2nd question is a pretty hard question to answer tbh.

I look for different things depending on who I'm playing.

I play a lot off of what I tend to see so it usually varies from player to player. So, unfortunately I can't really help much here =/. I greatly depend on my safe play to carry me through until I notice something.

For the 3rd question, there are a lot of things you could do. Shielding/sidestepping/rolling are all common options that people want you to do. Usually I will either needle and react to moves with CC grab, or DD camp back. People are usually looking for a reaction so its usually fairly safe to start DDing, granted you space well.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
@ KK haha, I don't think I'll be doing that too much at the tourny this weekend, sounds too good. Maybe if I meet shady in bracket..

@Tec. That is what I was looking for. Thanks. Just gotta work on being comfortable under said pressure and not reacting in the ways they want. Easier said than done.

Thanks for the quick responses tec & KK. I have always just have had problems under pressure, and I've learned its because I can't identify the key processes I should be focusing on during the game. So I'm trying to figure those out. Falcon and slow characters are easier, as I either have priority or they are slow. The fast ones can just overwhelm me though when the other player is better.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Spacing and baiting is a good way to find openings. You start weaving around their maximum range, they might throw a move out to try and hit you. So long as you can get out the way in time, you should be able to punish them for thinking they had a gap that wasn't really there.

Needles at range are also good for shutting down the dash dance.

Pikaville

I love running up to Marth, WD backwards after baiting his fsmash or tilt into a quick JC grab.

Sometimes you get those ridiculous grabs that pull him from miles away.

How do those even work?

DualCats

Smash Ace
I think I have a serious problem fighting Peach with Sheik. :< I feel like my approach is really sloppy and predictable but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I like to camp platforms and throw needles and poke with bair. What's my problem?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I think I have a serious problem fighting Peach with Sheik. :< I feel like my approach is really sloppy and predictable but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I like to camp platforms and throw needles and poke with bair. What's my problem?
I think the problem is that you're approaching period. Peach can CC Dsmash pretty much everything Sheik can approach with at low percentages except bairs, but even bairs don't give Sheik enough options to approach from. IMO, in this matchup, you should be throwing out bairs and needles as bait to try to open up a grab. From a grab you should be able to rack up at least 35-40%, which makes dash attack and ftilt more effective approach options because Peach can't CC them anymore.

Top Bottom