• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Tips?

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
Sheik has been my main in Melee ever since the game came out. I've been pretty good with her and even won some local tournaments using her. However, transitioning from Melee to Brawl in just a few months is not easy.

Since my brother owns the game (and the Wii apparently), I've had little time to practice with her... but I seem to have kept some (bad) habits from Melee. For example, when I play 1 on 1 matches online, I still spam her foward aerial, up aerial, and neutral aerial attacks. All of these have obviously been nerfed pretty badly, and I end up getting punished after using them.

Do you guys have any tips for me to help improve my Sheik? Like what attacks should I focus on? What attacks should I avoid using?

Squidster

Smash Ace
Do not avoid using attacks, avoid using attacks repeatedly.

Sheik's areals are obviously nerfed but I don't think that matters... (compare sheik to brawl characters not melee characters.)

Avoid getting owned by DR, mix up your approach.

Options:

1) Areal (fair, bair, nair) -> tilt or smash.
They are all lagless upon landing.
2) Spacing -> tilts
Her Ftilt has decent range, Dtilt can be ok with smecksy crawling. Once you connect you can normally connect more tilts (ending with a Utilt or Usmash) or an areal.
3) Counter with smashes!
Roll, smash, spotdodge, and hit em with shiek's instant smashes (Fsmash and Dsmash.)
4) Dash attack or hyphen smash
Both are punishable, neither combo very well
5) GRAB!
Shiek's grab tend to allow a combo into an areal.
6) Needle spacing!
This is what you do when approaching seems like too much effort.
7) Boost smash!
Don't overuse it, but a suprise boost smash owns all.
8) Chain
Wait no jk....

You wont get the Fair kills like you did in melee, you have to either get a smash off at like... 110% or higher or edgeguard.
Vanish is pretty awesome kill move as well.

Oh... and read the stickied threads O.o

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Yes the jump from Melee to Brawl is quite huge for Sheik and because of that the first thing you will notice is how limited Sheik is now.

Once you get over how Sheik just cannot kill until the higher percentages you will have to do a complete overhaul of Sheik related mind games and most importantly learn her limits in everything, especially in the field of tilt stringing.

What your constant goal should be in every match up until your opponent can be knock off the course is how and when can I get my enemy in a string of tilts. I can't stress this enough as this remaining gayness is what keep Sheik from not sucking. The more string tilt you can do in a match the higher chance you will have winning, other then that hit and run tactics mix with needle camping is the best way to play Sheik.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
Don't get hit... like EVER. Run for the love of God away from the opponent and just mind games aways until you see an opportunity to lay in some ftilt lovin'. Work on foxtrotting! It took me a while because i suck... but once you get it down, combined with dash dancing, it proves to be very good for mind games. Avoid using the dair, it be easily punished, but generally use your tilts.

However, be careful with your fair because spacing it is kinda hard and it can easily be shield grabbed, etc etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say is... if you see a shield don't hit. I guess i was rambling allot... not thinking straight :]

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
Okay thanks guys. :) So pretty much she changed from an all out brawler into a hit and runner (with mindgames)? I'll try to change my style.

And I'm actually somewhat glad that she isn't top tier/broken anymore. Now I could use her against my friends and not be called derogatory names. I'll be the one doing that. XD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Not quite a "hit and runner." She can still be used pretty aggressively as long as you mixup your approaches. Like, if you dash attack a lot and the people aren't shielding, that's good. Then if they start shielding, grab them. If they are running away, remind them that you have charged needles. Etc.

Also, it helps to transform into zelda if they are around 100+ percent. Knock them away with a dsmash or some other decent-knockback move that will give you time to transform...

From one shiek player to another, I advise you this: Learn how to play Zelda also, because she is a lot easier to get KO's with. Usmash, utilt, fairs, bairs, fsmash, dsmash... She is just so strong.

bobknob

Smash Cadet
learn how to do the dash attack canceled into an up-smash tech, sheik's best killing move

AlexKZ

Smash Rookie
I know away to rack up around 40-50 damage within the few moments of 1 vs 1.
1. Charge up needle right when the game starts. It doesn't matter if your opponent it coming for you, just stop jump away and continue charging.
2. Once you've got your needles, go for a dash attack against your opponent. After this continue with 2-3 f-tilts.
3. Once you've done the f-tilts, use sheiks normal A attacks. Once it gets to the point where she'll continue to use her A just by holding the button, let go of the A button.
4. Your opponent will try to escape, but the exit lag will hod thme on the ground, just long enough for you to unleash your barrage of needles.
5. You're done, enjoy your simple 40-50 damage. :)

:shiek: AlexKZ

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I know away to rack up around 40-50 damage within the few moments of 1 vs 1.
1. Charge up needle right when the game starts. It doesn't matter if your opponent it coming for you, just stop jump away and continue charging.
2. Once you've got your needles, go for a dash attack against your opponent. After this continue with 2-3 f-tilts.
3. Once you've done the f-tilts, use sheiks normal A attacks. Once it gets to the point where she'll continue to use her A just by holding the button, let go of the A button.
4. Your opponent will try to escape, but the exit lag will hod thme on the ground, just long enough for you to unleash your barrage of needles.
5. You're done, enjoy your simple 40-50 damage. :)

:shiek: AlexKZ
Try this against anyone good. Odds are you'll get hit while trying one, as there is some lag on cancelling charging, especially if you try to jump a short distance away and re-charge. Odds are you'll get shield-grabbed on two, because dash attacking is low-priority and laggy. Three will get you punished as well, as the jab combo is easily escaped and punished.

Needles I've found are best on someone who back-rolls away from you. If you use them immediately when they start to roll, the whole burst will catch them on the way out.

Top Bottom