• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Jski

Smash Apprentice
Ankoku i just watch you vido vs ddd and something i do not get is how you switch so fast. Is there a trick to it or did you do something to the wii and or game to make it go faster? I like to ko with zelda it seems to changes up the game and ppl do not seem rdy for F or B air attk from her after play vs sheik for a bit. So i would love to know how you pulled this off.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Jski: Custom textures load faster. Kinda frustrating that it needs custom textures for this to happen, but whatever.

Eazy: You're being ridiculously flashy, haha. But I like the fair > nair links, and your fullhop mixups and hit/whiff-confirms are really nice. Your main problem seems to be getting momentum back in your favor when ROB's on the offensive. Maybe it's just because you're playing friendlies, but don't be so eager to rush into the **** when you don't have the advantage.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
lol i didnt see a single ftilt xD. but i love your sheik Eazy, you know that. but you got a mix it up in a while. like your style in the beginning of the match. he didn't know what was going to happen. but after the first stock. your opponent knew exactly what you were doing. and tried to fix his mistakes one attack after another. so he spaced a lil bit more and played a lil bit more defensively. thats the time when you switch your style. fast enough so he's confused. but seriously i love your whiffs. to real attacks. kind of like my sheik. good stuff on the vanish attacks.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Eazy, you really need to watch your spacing. You are pretty much ALWAYS inside ROB's zone. This ROB is quite slow so I would imagine that fighting another person with this style would get you punished more.

Fortunately though, you have a really nice variety of approaches, which let you rack up ROB to around 180% fairly quickly. However, the downside to this is that you use all of your major aerials to do it. Try saving one powerful aerial move as a kill move. Most people can get by using b-air and f-air while saving n-air for the kill, but you can choose which one you want. ROB should have been dead around 130% or so, meaning that other 50% was wasted off his second stock.

You RARELY smash. This in itself is actually a good thing, but it seems you need to work on your ground game. Your smashes aren't as quick and thought out as your aerials, allowing ROB to dodge pretty much all of them. Like the others said, f-tilt is a great way to KO someone early. Whether you want to decay the crap out of it or use it sparingly as a set up, both ways allow for an easy kill.

Also, there's no grabbing. Since you stay so close to ROB, grab him once in a while. This instantly puts the spacing in your favour for one thing, and will also keep him a little nervous when you get so close to him, likely causing an opportunity to smash him or just grab him again.

You need to watch your recoveries too. ROB isn't the best at gimping, but pretty much every time you tried to recover, a good gimper would have just let you die. I know these are friendlies, after all.

From 2:00 to 2:30, you seemed to be on some kind of revenge spree and this got you *****. It always will. You just kept running into all of his attacks. No mindgames, no stops, no turn around, nothing, and you got hit every time you tried. This is the absolute worst thing you can do with any character. Your pretty much telling your opponent where you're going to be and when you're going to be there, and therefore the ball is absolutely 100% in his court as a result. You don't ALWAYS need to run right at him. Try dashing forwards then away then back again for the attack. This will screw up his timing. Try short hopping towards him and then holding away on the joystick just before you reach his zone. If he attacks, punsih the bait. Shoot some needles. Just do something so that you're not just walking right in to him.

So to summarize:

Your aerial work is your best asset (but save one for KOing)
Work on your ground game (use f-tilts and needles to set up smash KOs or rack damage).
Work on your edge-guarding game. Use mindgames, wait for openings and then attack him, don't just run right at him and hope to hit him.)
Grab more.
Work on spacing (stay just a little bit farther away from him so you're not hit so easily.)
Good approaches.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Ankoku- I tend to play every character overly flashy lol Spam tells me I'm not even playing smash I'm playing DDR haha. But I will def use your advice and allow my advantageous/non advantageous positioning to play its role in dictating my aggression.

CJ- Yea, I def see what you are saying. You know how I play my sheik, its so harrrrd to stop attacking lol. More ftilts next time I promise lol

Sinking Higher- wow thanks for paying so much attention to everything and offering a detailed critique. Everything you said makes sense, and I will def apply it, mostly your words on my aggression. I don't have a campy style at all with any of my chars, but I def need to tone down my rage approaching.

Thanks alot everyone for the help!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Easy I must say that you have a nice mind game with the needle canceling.

Short hop so at the apex of the jump you will be right above their shield, needle cancel, fair. The needle canceling might make one think that you have attack their shield so it would be safe to drop their shield to do a OoS option which then you follow with a aerial attack.

That's a great mixture uper you got going there, and I'm going to steal it ;3

just an idea though, it might be wise to do a bair instead while di towards them or a nair if you think they will react immediately. Landing behind someone although is sometimes punishable if predicted it can be much safer then landing in front of them... Unless you hit them with strong bair then your be safe :3

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
nice sheik. your ground game needs work. ftilt is just as good as fair if not better in terms of spacing and set ups. use it.
jab is also beast really good range and it sudo sets up into things at low percents grabs being a big one on slower characters. also leaded to true kills (dsmash) after 160-180 so keep an eye on that

needles, did you throw one? needles are such a great damage tool an awsome punisher, just good over all use them please. One of sheiks best moves. oh yeah, why are you just charging needles and imediately canceling? You aren't using it to turn around and out of a full hop all it is really doing is lowering you options. If you are going to pull out needles without turning or pivioting at least get a needle out of it.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hey everyone, please let me know what you think about my sheik. This was just a friendly, but I was playing pretty seriously lol maybe just a tad more aggro than usual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD85ajNO2Xg&feature=channel
Everyone said their piece so I don't need to repeat it.

I just have one thing to say... "To much Needle canceling." I messed with this at on point in time trying to see how effective it is.
When you perform it you HAVE to fall straight down. If you cancel it high enough you can barely DI left or right. In other words... they can punish you VERY easily.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
eazy is fine with neede cancels. it seems he didn't get punished to often. just keep that style. and just mix it up. his needle cancels are tooo legit xD

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Needle's from the air aren't really a threat. If Eazy's opponent had more knkowledge about sheik's needle's, every time Eazy needle canceled he would have eaten an attack. Brawl's reduced hit stun coupled with the enormous landing lag from needles makes needle cancelling an ineffective mindgame. Even if you were to hit the opponent with the needle, it's still unsafe. It's best used only if as soon as you jump you throw a needle, because of the reduced landing lag.

Flashy: Yes
Useful: Eh...
Mindgame: pfft.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Aside from the fact that needle canceling allows me to move my character the way I like to, it plays a major role in creating/learning my opponents shielding/ shield dropping habits. I base my playstyle around the ability to play quick and aggressive in the air while punishing the habits people form while fighting me. It is very different from typical sheik play I guess, but thats probably why my style has thrown so many people off...needle cancels in all lol

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
eazy is fine with neede cancels. it seems he didn't get punished to often. just keep that style. and just mix it up. his needle cancels are tooo legit xD
If that R.O.B. would have spaced Fair a little more he would have got punished more often.

He didn't get punished in that match... but if he fought someone that new how to pull their character out off attack range quickly (any MK, Kirby and Marth can do this) and use a retreating airial will punish him.

I do agree with doing this at a ledge... except on the flying balls of pain. At the ledge you wont get punished as much.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
One thing I really don't like about the Diddy matchup is that picking up bananas with Sheik's dash attack isn't all that safe due to how laggy it is.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can stop your run and pick it up for way less lag than dash attack. it isn't as fast as a standing pick up but obviously better than a dash attack and it server the purpose of getting to the nana fast.

@needle canceling. you can't change direction while charging needles (spare b reversing which actually isn't a horrible mind game when mixed in here and there, helps alot for baiting and spacing) and you need at the very least 15 frames to needle cancel, 1 4th of a second. long freaking time, lol.

needle cancleing has it's uses but yeah <.< it doesn't make your approach stronger in any way.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Needle canceling isn't a particularly great idea on approach, since like <3 mentioned it's a minimum 15 frame commitment and if you do that then it won't even charge any needles.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
idiots

RAR b-reverse needle cancel fair

is the BEST approach

better than doing that slide thimg by turning around constantly -> fsmash

East

Crappy Imitation
It looks like you play SHEN a lot or you're just really really predictable. It was like he knew what you were going to do. Nearly every time you short hopped you got Fair'd in the face. Stop dodging and rolling so much. Space your Bairs. Above all else, stop running into ****.

Mix it up, because it looks like you both know how each other plays.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I enjoy his spacing, approaching and for the most part evasiveness and agility, but he really had no idea how to set up a KO, stales his best kill moves, and never seems to bother following up. Once he gets in to pit's weak spot, he just hits him once and runs away.

∫unk

Smash Master
LMAO jun u stalkin me

also it's just friendlies :[
oh so you made me waste 20 minutes critiquing a match that was just friendlies?

steps to being junk:
1) get friends in the br
2) get friends that are mods
3) get friends that lurk more than you ever will
4) be okay at this game

you know im just giving you a hard time <3

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
You guys should really take that Ganon video down. I know your purpose is to show great examples of matchups against specific characters, and I know the match up is like 95-5, but that Ganon was atrocious and gave a horrible display. If you really want a video of a good Ganon v Sheik, I'll play mars and you guys can put that up.

I've always wanted to play you since I got your Ganon and Sheik spots on gamefaqs like, a year ago. I wanted to give you back your sheik one when you came back a while ago, but I never got a chance. PM if you see this

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You guys should really take that Ganon video down. I know your purpose is to show great examples of matchups against specific characters, and I know the match up is like 95-5, but that Ganon was atrocious and gave a horrible display. If you really want a video of a good Ganon v Sheik, I'll play mars and you guys can put that up.

I've always wanted to play you since I got your Ganon and Sheik spots on gamefaqs like, a year ago. I wanted to give you back your sheik one when you came back a while ago, but I never got a chance. PM if you see this
Ah Gamefaqs I have such fond memories of that place like knowing Ally and Holy before they were Ally and Holy lol and 4am matches with Villi. Still go there occassionally to catch up with everyone and play a few friendlies........what's your name on there if you don't mind me asking?

Sadly my friend I discovered offline tournies so WiFi is more of a sort of training spot for me now where I just try different things instead of actually taking things seriously.

Oh and i'm not technically a good Sheik plus WiFi shouldn't really be posted in a video thread like this:) but i'll play you if you want provided the connection is good just don't expect much.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
what's your name on there if you don't mind me asking?

Oh and i'm not technically a good Sheik plus WiFi shouldn't really be posted in a video thread like this:) but i'll play you if you want provided the connection is good just don't expect much.
I know that wifi vids aren't really the best thing to put in a competitive video thread, but I KNOW that the matches between us would be a better example than that >.>

my name is right here V =]

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So since not much is happening here lately, let's discuss how silly of a matchup Captain Falcon is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnOszMxi4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGC5e36uE5I
K nwo what I seem to find dangerous against the Falcon is his nuetral b which is hard to dodge because its so big and landing on me i die reallly low and hius fsmash has real far reach and his knee alway zhits me offstage and it has lightning which = bad news for Sheik.

I liek to use teh fsmash agaiisnt the falcon because it hurts him pretty bad and it reaches really far further than hiis fsmash and his punch b so yea watch out for that and use a l ot of fsmash and use a fair to hit him when ehe recovers oh and his falcon kick is really fast so i shield that andthe i fsmash.

East

Crappy Imitation
I can't comment on the Sheik/Zelda, but that Marth; he has the uncanny ability to run into all the **** that Zelda/Sheik throws at him. He is bad : (

Why would we criticize a match where the Sheik/Zelda ***** their opponent? Give us a video were he doesn't beat Marth's ***. Nothing can be learned from a match where you beat your opponent by a wide margin. [Some advice I carried over from a game of Go.]

Top Bottom