• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs. 8-bit Fury.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
So I've been recently experiencing the 2-dimensional ball of **** that is Game & Watch, and I am at a complete loss for what to do. His airs have so much priority it's ridiculous. His back air [Where he whips out the ninja turtle and smacks you with it] is a stupidly safe move. His smashes are pretty much ridiculous. The matchstick [Side Smash] does damage for as long as you can see it. Hammertime [Down Smash] can be repeatedly spammed somewhat akin to Metaknights down smash. His recovery is basically amazing so gimping is pretty difficult to do. It seems like spacing is essential in this match-up because if you get too close it's pretty painful.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure how to approach the Sheik vs. Game & Watch Match-up. Is there anybody experienced in this match up or who has some tips or thoughts on how to defeat or at least compete with game and watch?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Short of blurting out "DOWN B! NOW!"

Hmmm...

Needles apparently don't count as projectiles so he can't bucket them.
He is VERY easy to gimp if he's in the right place.
You can tech his grabs.
The GWs I play use d-air a lot. Perhaps it's some kind of AT that doesn't seem to work or just co-incidence, but that is very easy to punish with an f-air.

Don't walk right into him or land on him. Almost all his moves are vertical or horizontal, so if you can come in at the right angle you should see a way though. Don't stay close to him for long, unlike marth, he can deal with it.

I'm not sure if GRUSTing is a lock but I vaguely remember it.

For the most part this is about match up. In some ways he's a lot like pikachu, so platform stages like Pit's crib or Battlefield should work.

I'm on now if you wanna try to find a way with him. I'm a mean GW noob.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
LeePuff, Oki and Aura are all in my area and are really ****ing good Game and Watches so I'll be sure to do some more match ups against them when I can and edit this post.

side note: spot dodge key abusers, don't shield. Spot dodge + grab afterwards, time your Fair when above them slightly. Other wise you will get hit more then if just in front. Chain Guard is good against his recovery.

Grab a lot to rack up damage, game and watch will use its Dtilt (idk what it is a sewer lid?) for spacing or to get you away since it's fast compared to the other slow smashes he has.

other then that G&W pretty much ***** Sheik

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
oh? darn but like you said, Fair really does help take advantage with proper timing and spacing in the air. This time Bair and Nair aren't going to cut it as much

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Needles are useful since GnW has to force the approach without any reliable projectiles. GnW, like Marth relies a lot on short hop attacks, so play defensively and wait for an opening to strike and run away.

Villi

Smash Lord
Yeah, needles and chain him. Punish his laggy moves with grabs and dash attack. Space a few ftilts, and make sure you have it decayed enough to KO him between 73-90%.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Something I've found is that G&W is top tier because of his range, priority, and spacing. He's not necessarily a "fast" character, but he controls space so well. You wanna use his lack of speed to your advantage by running away, shooting a lot of needles, and watching his movement instead of approaching.

Sometimes, approaching will just make you run into dtilts and bairs... worse yet, you'll run into smash attacks that will kill you at 70%. You don't really need to approach a lot.

In order to come out on top, learn the nuances of countering his usual moves. If he whiffs a smash, throw needles at him. (I wouldn't run after him if he misses a smash... I don't know if they have IASA frames but he can definitely do moves pretty early after a smash attack.)

Wait for the 5th or 6th hit of his bair before you counter. I think you can jab him between the 5th and 6th hit which can lead into a grab or dtilt or something. Experiment with those risky counters in friendlies. If you're not completely sure how to counter during a tournament, just run away and shoot some more needles lol.

Watch out for pretty much unpunishable approaches like properly spaced dairs/bairs, and nairs/uairs from underneath.

Like the Luigi matchup, you don't need to approach. Use your ninja speed to camp like a ninja, not attack like one.

Like the Wario matchup, G&W dominates in the air. So stay on the ground most of the time so your aerials don't get beat out easily.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
knock him off the top of the stage. g and w is exetremely light.

upsmash as well as explosion will kill him.

a fun trick, when g and w is using his down-air (which hits as he comes down as well as when he hits the ground) time explosion right and you will be invincible while he goes through you then explode killing him if hes 80%+ on most stages.

dont try to approach him from the sides in the air.

wrrryyy

Smash Rookie
knock him off the top of the stage. g and w is exetremely light.

upsmash as well as explosion will kill him.
Just because he's light doesn't mean he's easy to kill. Bucket Braking cancels all momentum, and most game and watch users know how to do it. Game and watch can last for ridiculously high percentages with it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Even more reason why you should attempt to KO him off the top rather than the sides (less distance to travel before dying)

Blue Flash

Smash Apprentice
I think 8-bit fury is a problem, mostly because her killing power is low and he has Bucket Braking, so it'll be even harder to kill him, especially with good DI.

Top Bottom