• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs Sonic?

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
I know this is favorable in Sheik's favor, but I just wanted to make sure I know how to approach this MU.

What I think I should do: Needle. Let him approach. Nair and F-tilt to interrupt his approach.

What else?

jtm94

Smash Lord
I swear I replied to this a while ago. I know this MU extremely well.

Nair, ftilt, bair, and jab are really good to interrupt his approach. His moves are both low priority and lacking disjoint. You need to OWN the ground and the stage. Only commit to the air if you have a platform to waveland and alter your movement, and also use it to needle safely. If you let him control the stage it will be very hard to get in. On each interaction you ideally want to try and 0 death him. Back throw is amazing to regrab him at low % even if they DI away.

At low % nair can lead into dtilt or ftilt into grab.

If you're curious about anything else I can go on.

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
I am quite curious, I am a relatively new shiek in a community with a LOT of experienced shiek players so everybody already knows the matchup against me including a pretty good Sonic player

jtm94

Smash Lord
So his recovery isn't nearly as good in 3.5 as it was in 3.0. He actually has very poor air mobility so he can't come in at diagonal angles. He either DIs up off a bair and then will likely try to jump over you and spin onto the stage, or goes low off of fair and has to spin to get close enough to the stage so he can either A. UpB and sweetspot or B. rise with an aerial onto the stage like fair or uair.

In the event that he goes high and you suspect he will recover high you can either bair him again because it beats out every move besides fair and bair, or fair him which does the same. It should be easy to react to unless he has a jump.

In the event he goes low he MUST get right along the wall of the stage to UpB because it does not go horizontal in the slightest. Always grab edge if he is coming from low and then use ledge invincibility to hit him with either a nair, bair, or reverse hitbox of fair if you can manage it. Getting used to using the invincibility is weird at first, but if you're playing Sheik it's something you should use for almost every MU anyways. Sometimes you can even get lazy and just drop and nair and he will either be KOd, gimped where UpB can't make it to the stage, or stage spiked. You want to use your aerial a little below the stage so he can't intercept with a rising aerial of his own. If you do it correctly he should be forced into your attack and won't survive.

There is a 3rd recovery scenario where he has a double jump and he's about even with the ledge where he can use homing attack to lock onto you, but it is incredibly risky because if it does not lock on to you or run into a wall he goes into special fall... You can make the homing attack not be able to detect you by using ledge invincibility. Because it's so risky I wouldn't expect the Sonic to try it too often.

Glish

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wav_Glish
3DS FC
1418-7649-4416
Thank you! I ended up beating the sonic main in bracket, so that was nice. For some reason I didn't get a notification about the replies, so sorry I'm so late.

Top Bottom