• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's best approaches

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
What do you use to approach some of the good characters (like Marth!)? I need ideas...Marth is fast and powerful. =/

I use: - Up-smash to cancel my a dash (as necessary)
-shielding to cancel my dash, followed by shield grabbing (Ideally, you dash, sheild while they attack, then shield-grab them. This seems to be a really good one for me, since you carry your sliding momentum when you shield, then grab, almost like a safer version of the dash-grab)
-Crawl, cancel with shield, then f-tilt or d-smash, or roll behind and attack.

SH'd aerials don't seem to work as approaches against Marth. =/

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
It's not canceling a dash attack, it's just canceling the dash with an up-smash.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
There are lots of ways. Shield dashing, crawling then dashing (you can dash out of a crawl), pretending to approach from the air to force them to counter or charge their Fsmash (this one is risky and really only works on bad marths), dash grabbing, pivot grabs, shield dashing then grabbing, ect.

Just try to mix up your movements as much as possible because sheiks ground speed is really all she has going for her in brawl. You obviously know that you can cancel your dash with a shield. Remember that with new shielding system you can drop your shield and do anything in no time at all. I think Marth is easy in brawl because his general style hasn't changed at all but that's just me.

So in conclusion: mix up your movements, sheik has more tricks up her sleeve than most people give her credit for. If you need a kill try to catch their approaching Fair with a vanish from a shield.

Hope that helps and just let me know if you need anything explained in more detail.

EDIT: Be sure that when you U smash out of a dash that you use the attack behind them. Marth can punish a whiffed U smash really easily and god forbid you're at or above 100% when he does.

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
I've notices some problems aproaching aswell, mainly because of her dash attack being a lot less effective for comboing , I find myself having to sheild cancel my dash a lot more often to get close enough for an ftilt

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I've been going behind people a lot, like Takumaru says. To approach with an aerial, I'd jump over them (air dodging if necessary) and bair from behind them. I'm really big on shield cancelling her dash. You can dash in, then shield cancel anything. I tend to grab, up smash, and down smash for the most part. Once you've trained your opponent to expect you to shield when you approach, you can try simply dash grabbing, or up smash from dashing. You can also dash through them and turnaround grab, but that leaves you open.
Takamaru: excellent idea up smashing from behind. There's really a lot of options with only dashing and shielding. Escpecially with a good mix up of in front/behind.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
After testing out the "instant dash attack," I've found that it's very useful for Sheik. To do an instant dash attack, at the same time tap forward and down on the C-stick (since doing any other direction will make you smash). It skips the dash animation, and goes straight into the attack animation. Doing this has really good range, IMO. I find it extremely useful for combo'ing and can work well as an approach (due to the great range and good speed of the attack).

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
If you are playing Marth, throw 1 or 2 needles at him and wait for him to react to you. Everyone just hates just getting hit by 1 needle. It works like a charm for me every time. Just standing sometimes is the best approach...prepare a B air (more powerful than f air this time around if timed properly)

Umm maybe you guys do not..but I love my Zelda as well....her forward B if you learn to use it well is easily one of the best projectiles in the game to help with approach...People DESPISE getting hit by it...they will then come to you...prepare a fair or bair... :-)

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
If you are playing Marth, throw 1 or 2 needles at him and wait for him to react to you. Everyone just hates just getting hit by 1 needle. It works like a charm for me every time. Just standing sometimes is the best approach...prepare a B air (more powerful than f air this time around if timed properly)

Umm maybe you guys do not..but I love my Zelda as well....her forward B if you learn to use it well is easily one of the best projectiles in the game to help with approach...People DESPISE getting hit by it...they will then come to you...prepare a fair or bair... :-)
That's all well and good, and I duo-main Zelda for a reason, but how are you going to switch between Sheik and Zelda without eating FSmash?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
You do it between Koes, you have to be able to judge the strength of your attacks and do it while they are flying off the screen. I do it all the time. I usually rack up my damage with Shiek because she is quicker....get a little knockback with her Fsmash and than switch and use Zeldas forward B to play with them to get ready for positioning...and than work her fsmash, upsmash, b air or fair for a kill. Using both of them is key this time around (in my opinion) as opposed to it was better to just use Shiek in Melee.

Top Bottom