• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Boostgrab?

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Mention of Sheik's Boostgrab came up some time ago in the Question and Answer thread, and I was wondering if anyone has any more information on it? The difficulty? Effectiveness? Etc. Video's showcasing it would be gladly appreciated.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
yes, I brought it up to Flamingo in the Q&A

There is a subtle but noticeable distance gain, I think some one found a video of snake doing it for example and all
It's only real effectiveness or use that I found is it gives a much more profound pivot grab and can help you get tighter control when chaining other grabs if you want. Chaining releases to a possible footstool gimp perhaps.

EDIT:

what you'll notice by the way when I've done it (or so I think) is a tighter control over your grab. You can pivot reverse a lot more easily and sharper with the Dash attack involved, and it's not so much the over all distance of a slide along the ground that you're looking results for, it's where and when you grab them. It's more like a little skip or extra step btw.

Like how Snake can punch from a certain body count, I believe you grab them to you before a certain body count because some animations are cut off. I'm playing with it right now...

Flamingo

Smash Lord
The input, I believe is Dash->Cstick down (Or 'A' I guess) then quickly run backwards then press your grab button. Kind of a lot of input, and makes for a decent mindgame IMO. But otherwise, not like OP or anyhting. I have yet to use this outside of training mode about a week and a half ago.

Can I mention this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacIYsrRvq0
Check out 3:15

Its like pivot walking... this is the video. you basically walk faster than normal without dashing.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
yeah I've done that before. It's exactly like softer dash dancing but since you're only in walking speed you get to move with it and I can do it with out the C-stick stuff he said. That is exactly the properties behind the reverse crawl dashing I need to freaking post a video of. And through a PM I told East the commands and how to do the Boost Grab so I can post that here.

Run(dash) + grab = normal slide grab

Run(dash) + Down-C stick (dash attack) + grab = Boost Grab
note: You shouldn't actually do the dash attack since grab cancels it

Run(dash) + pivot + grab = Reverse/Pivot grab

Run(dash) + Down-C stick (dash attack) + pivot + grab = Reverse Boost grab

the way I practiced this and to show you if you're doing it correctly since it is a subtle difference in distance gain is to practice with the Pivot Grab first. e.g. I did this with Sheik on Falco, on Smashville and Final destination. If you do the normal pivot grab at Falco you should end up failing to get behind them (there are exceptions) and with your back against him, you just end up pushing him slightly.

Now do the Boost reverse grab, what should happen is you end up sliding/swinging past him. If you get the grab to connect you also still slide for a bit with him in your grasp. That is the boost. Once you've mastered that command, do it with the normal forward approach and you will start to see the difference in distance gained from your boosting. It's good to maintain chain grabs going at further distance, and the boost slide from pivot grab helps if you want to gain control of getting them to the edge.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Okay, apart from reinforcing the name "funky chicken" what exactly is the use for that?
for Sheik it's pretty useless since she has a quicker dash to pivot/dash dance while in Running speed. But the idea for pivot walking I suppose is that you can perform any attack out of it for mind games. *shrug*

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
for Sheik it's pretty useless since she has a quicker dash to pivot/dash dance while in Running speed. But the idea for pivot walking I suppose is that you can perform any attack out of it for mind games. *shrug*
People reallllyyy need to get over the fact that this is not Melee.

Hue

Smash Cadet
I use X as my grab button, and it works fine for me just sliding my thumb from A to X during a dash. The timing takes a little practice, but it's not too bad. It gives a little more distance to your grab, and makes pivot grabbing easier, but it's fairly situational.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I use X as my grab button, and it works fine for me just sliding my thumb from A to X during a dash. The timing takes a little practice, but it's not too bad. It gives a little more distance to your grab, and makes pivot grabbing easier, but it's fairly situational.
Conversely, I think using 'Z' to grab is better. You don't have to do two quick thumb inputs right after one another. Thumb (A or Csitck Down)->(turn around)-> Index finger (Z)

Top Bottom