• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheild Drop Lag - How bad is it?

Karmie

Smash Cadet
Hm, i've been thinking of the number of times I have failed from using smashes out of sheild, and or neutral attacks/tilts.

How bad is sheild drop lag really?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What shield drop lag?

You can't buffer smashes out of a shield, by the way. The game will still read it as a grab. Just learn the timing. If you have it right, there's practically no lag at all.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
when you say shield drop lag do you mean like after usingthe shield the lag when you release it? i think yoshis takes the lognest. you can shieldgrab, which IMO is really useful. and it says you manin kirby, who shouldnt have a problem with shields. his crouch is amazing though, lol. and it makes an extremely annoying/awesome sound

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the lag is pretty horrible for yoshi lulz. i would think that the lag for everyone else is about the same.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Normal shields have around 7 frames of lag, about as much as a typical L-cancel in Melee. Now, THATS fast!

I dunno about Yoshi, though.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Normal shields have around 7 frames of lag, about as much as a typical L-cancel in Melee. Now, THATS fast!

I dunno about Yoshi, though.
I thought shield drop was 2 frames, but I guess that was the shield drop lag after a power shield or I'm just totally wrong.

I have a question... a shield lag what is it?
Shield Drop lag is the the amount of frames it takes for your shield to disappear when you release L or R. If you press A while in shield drop lag, the game will read it as a shield grab.

Unless you're thinking of shield stun which is the amount of frames that you remain frozen when you block an attack. Stronger attacks generally have more shield stun, but shield stun is generally much shorter in Brawl than it was in Melee.

Denzi

Smash Master
I love how people talk about shield dropping like it's an AT or something. I mean I've heared things like this: "Hey, I've got this new combo. It's like this: Shield opponent's attack -> Shield drop -> Punish opponent."

Eva01

Smash Cadet
I'd say any lag, with the exception of Yoshi, is so minimal that it really makes no difference. If you are punished for shielding try spot dodging instead but chances are you'd be punished either way.

bigman40

Smash Master
Unless you're playing Yoshi, then you should need to worry about shield lag lol. If you do play Yoshi, avoid shielding whenever possible (use it as a last resort). Oh, and Yoshi's lag is I think 2 frames more than everyone else (randomly guessing).

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
It's about 6 frames, & then whatever the frames for the attack coming out is. Also your reaction time, which when known what you're going to do willl be about 2-5 frames. So it's generally about 13 frames total

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
A shield takes 2 frames to come out. To drop, it takes 6 frames, I believe, for a regular shield-drop. A Power-shield can be dropped in something like 2 frames. If you have the timing down, you can do a quick attack (like a jab) and be able to hit your opponent before they recover from their attack-lag.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think using up-B (and up-smash?) out-of-shield is only available if tap-jump is set ON, correct? In which case, 6-7 frames of shield-drop lag is significant; possibly worth changing control schemes for. That's the real question, to me.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Just press X (or Y) + up + B with strict timing to do it with tap jump off.

However, tap jump on is obviously better nevertheless, for this (because it's easy to mess up the three button input and not do the up + B as early as possible) and for other reasons: for example, it's only practical to meteor cancel with your double jump using tap jump (you could do it with X or Y but you'd need to know when the window opens... which is a function of your damage and the move hitting you and probably not practical to predict...).

Top Bottom