• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sheilding help

mom7

Smash Cadet
I remember that I heard a melee player saying that a good samus player, is a samuss that knows when to sheild, I don't remember who it was thought. Anyway, when do you know that you should shield instead of attacking?

Pi

Smash Hero
in most if not all cases, it's better to land an attack than it is to shield one since samus OoS are generally unprofitable if not unreliable.

Knowing when to shield is knowing when you can't counter with anything else, and every other option is going to get you hit. Or there is a risk to trade with a move that isn't worth trading with

For example, if falcon is airborne and already coming at you and you won't have enough time to reposition and catch him when he lands, or you can't intercept him with your own aerial or ground move. You need to shield, Ideally though, let's say he's nairing, ideally you would want to CC and Dsmash/Dtilt
If he is kneeing or dairing, you're going to want to shield, and get off the UB, or WD out and reset your position

If ganon has already begun his fair, it's best to just shield and and reset, if you can't get out of the way first. But if he's just in the air, his fair is a slow move, you can probably hit him with your fair, or nair, before he can hit you.

mom7

Smash Cadet
nice post, thanks now i understand 254-6011, anyway so i shield when i dont have any other options available, than when do I spot dodge?

Pi

Smash Hero
spot dodging is iffy
and depends on who you're fighting
samus can often spot dodge grabs/attacks and get an attack in before their opponent can react
but it can also be baited & punished

i guess if you want to break it down, spot dodging is to counter grabs, or smash/dash attacks
But you have to guess to do it, which is a risk

The only time I would advocate spot dodging is if you think they are going to try and grab

Top Bottom