• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell Shocked XIII: Is this the end?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I just arrived here and saw the TO debacle

Ultimately the result was correct, the proper way to handle a 3 way tie is a win/loss ratio between all 3 teams. Anyone who is anyone can determine that 16/4 is a greater ratio than 15/4, but for those mathematically challenged individuals, I can understand why 16/5 doesn't add up.

15/4 is a greater ratio than 16/5. Even though Chu and Boss had another win, they had another loss too. If you don't think that is fair, imagine if DoH and Redd had dropped a match to every team (and maybe 2nd loss since these were best of 5 sets) and their record was 15/10 but with the same set count. They would obviously be in third at that point as they should be.

This happened at pound 4 that had a 5 way tie for 2nd in a melee pool. It was nuts. But that is how it should be handled. The only way a head to head would apply in a 3 way tie is if a team involved in the 3 way tie beat the other 2 teams involved (it is nearly unfathomable for this to happen, but is possible.)

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Tant, would you say that in the case of a three way tie, once the ratio has been used to make it a 2 way tie, doesn't head to head override the ratio at that point? Or would you still use the ratio because that was the criteria last used to break the 3 way tie?

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
for this very reason, whenever i'm running any kind of round robin tournament/pool, the sets consist of a set number of matches. instead of best of 3 or 5, i just demand that they play all 3 matches or 5 matches. if this is not done, the whole ratio thing has little relevance when it comes to choosing placings since not all teams played the same number of matches.

it's difficult to do in tio though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
They should just keep rematching, and after every match they have to do 20 pushups. First team to lose to both of the other teams (or collapse) loses.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
hooray, congrats to winston and wenbo doing so well =3

watched the matches, you two definitely could have had some of the sets!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Tant, would you say that in the case of a three way tie, once the ratio has been used to make it a 2 way tie, doesn't head to head override the ratio at that point? Or would you still use the ratio because that was the criteria last used to break the 3 way tie?
Why would it override ratio? You tied in sets. You can't precede to determine which of you is the best other than win ratio, since you all beat each other in a triangle. So it is all by record. And playing out all 5 games is absolutely pointless, that could potentially mess things up worse and would break standardized CP rules. You can still have a proper ratio by using the number of wins divided by the number of total games. That changes for each team. Ideally, you should just not lose.

Imagine the records had been reversed, DoH, and you and Redd had the 16-5 instead of the 15-4 but your wins in the triangle didn't change. You had a worse record than both of those teams, why should your head to head apply on the team with the better ratio when Chillin had a head to head win over the 16-4 team? It's not fair to apply half and half. 2 way ties are broken by head to head first, then w/l ratio. 3 way ties are broken by head to head first as well- but since that can't apply due to the triangle effect, w/l ratio comes into play. You don't apply it and then go back and reapply rule number 1, that doesn't make any sense.

I wish I still had my bracket file from Pound 4. It was lost on a crashed hard drive some time ago. I could demonstrate how it worked.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Read the post tant; after the 3 way tie has been broken, you would go back to head as the default tie breaker. One of the arguments Chu tried to use was that since win ratio was used to break the 3 way tie, then wins/win ratio should be used to break the 2 way tie - not realizing at the time that we had the better win ratio anyway.

So in the event of a tie, it defaults to:

1. Head to head
2. Win ratio
3. Win/loss? Wins minus losses? Number of wins?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Why would you go back to head-to-head after the 3-way tie has been broken?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
There is no 2 way tie. It's a three way tie. Head2head is not applicable, because you all won in a triangle. Win loss ratio is the only thing you can use to break it down.

And your #2 and #3 are redundant, I usually use #2. If there is a perfect tie between two teams, then you would go back to head 2 head but that would be the only reason.

:phone:

Omni

BRoomer
3-way tie. Head-to head doesn't solve it.

Chillin/Azen - 16/20 = 80%
DoH/Redd - 15/19 = 78.9%
Chu/Boss - 16/21 = 76%

3-way tie broke. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd declared.

Chu must have thought that the win/loss ratio was to declare who was first. Then a head-to-head between the two remaining declares that spot, but that is not the case.

boss8

Smash Hero
nope...chu jus thought he could fool around and still win the set...and that records didnt matter cause the top 4 teams would play it out in a bracket or something....when we coulda jus easily focused on winning in general....

although 3-5 vs every team was kinda lame...

boss8

Smash Hero
its all confusing....thought we coulda ATLEAST had 2nd....guess not..

if i new that beating groom blue wouldnt have mattered,i woulda jus forfeit on the spot...

woulda just been better to do a tie breaker set/match...

guess are comp was jus scared (shrugg)

either way no johns...shoulda just ***** everyone..

CTL17

Smash Lord
its all confusing....thought we coulda ATLEAST had 2nd....guess not..

if i new that beating groom blue wouldnt have mattered,i woulda jus forfeit on the spot...
If you beat them 3-0 instead of 3-1, you would have gotten first.

Omni

BRoomer
Just remember that in Round Robins individual round losses can work against you. Every round is important.

JU4N

Smash Apprentice
Epsilon I don't know if you know this yet, but you left Ju4n at the venue last night.

Nah Epsilon was there and everything was cool. It was just that I had to get back, and when I saw you leaving earlier than Epsilon I asked you for a ride as a favor (in the interest of time.) Sorry for any confusion.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Shoutouts to all the people that didn't enter that could have beaten me; Azen, Redd, Boss, etc.

Keep doing that please.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'm obviously the best teammate in the DMV, I mean I beat Boss/Chu with both Redd and Chillin on my team.

My shoulders are strong from years of having to carry both Popo and Nana

Top Bottom