• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sHell's Wario Guide*UPDATED*AUG17 More Matchup changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I've got a quick few combo questions. The other day I was thinking of how cool a U-throw to U-air combo would be for killing, and maybe set it up with a F-air. Is this possible, or is there too much lag after the U-throw? Also, would a U-throw to D-air be good for racking damage?

Thanks,
Agent 1337
Nope, neither work.

And by the way, congrats on finally getting smash everyone, lol :laugh:

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Didn't see it in the first post, so figured I'd mention something I found with Wario's Up B... unless I'm so exhausted/tired I imagined it, lol.

While messing found something in training mode, I found that if you up B from the ground/after one jump, you'll of course be in a disabled state. If you get hit out of that, though... you WILL have your second jump (plus Bike, of course) to help recover. If you used your second jump before Up B and get knocked out of it, then you don't get the second jump back.

So there's a bit less of a downside to attacking with Up B, since even if you get hit you aren't quite as screwed as most characters.... hmm, I should check and see if this holds true for others as well, or just Wario.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I've been playing with Wario sence release and it's just awsome! Everything I hoped for. Me and my friends have been playing with smashballs for the fun of it and I get the smash ball 75% of the time :) I didn't know he was invulnerable too! I kill them so bad! It's hillarious. They fear Warioman. They try and suicide, I'm like "no you don't!" and I kill them off the stage. Love it. Just excited to be playing if you can't tell. Wario is the shiz.
That's cool. I've got trouble getting the Smash Ball. Any hints on how to break it quickly?

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Nice find there Vortok, makes me happy; I want to try and pull a down air/up b combo on somebody... because that would be cool. Knowing I won't kill myself after is niceness.

I myself found something I must investigate... I doubt it was an item (I'm too lazy to turn them off, just getting music and ****z now), but something spiked Zelda through the platform. I did a forward air... could it spike if hit with the thigh area instead of the foot? :confused: man, it would be like the new Nipple Spike; the Lovehandles Spike :laugh:

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
That's cool. I've got trouble getting the Smash Ball. Any hints on how to break it quickly?
-It kinda seems I get there slightly later than others to the ball. I usually end up clapping at it. It's been kinda luck too :) Dair works good too.
-The smash ball kind of follows the path of where you hit it, in addition to it's normal movement, so if you're Wario and use your Bair, it will often go in the direction you hit it, so you can somewhat direct it and know where it's going and have a second or 2 advantage.
-Especially after someone attacks the smash ball in the air, they have a small delay while recovering from it before they can use it. You can attack them here.
-Characters that require setup to use theirs like any directly forward smashes (Ike, Link, Falcon and others) you can take advantage of by trying to beat them up to release the smash ball before they use it. Just be carefull for instant users like other Warios, Snake, and Landmasters.
-Anyways, it's mostly luck but Wario has a slight advantage in that he's slower so there will already be some damage tot he ball when you get there. And once you get it, just smash B like crazy to use it ASAP.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else more then mildly irritated that there's no way to speed up the charge of Wario's fart attack?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
JUST THROWING SOMETHINGS THAT HAVE CAME IN HANDY FOR ME TO USE AGAINST MY FRIENDS....
1. when i recover i use foward- b and i wait till about halfway there and jump off to get my jump early becaus the floating charecters like metting you so you can force them to act quick...
2. when warioiding i find that if you purposely set your self up for meteor smash or spike the warioide works better...(hard to explain sorry)
3. Hers a personally mind games i use sense wave dashing is gone i find if at lower percents you spam grabs then in the middle damages you smash attacks your opponents assume you will go back to grabs you start smashing more instead. these has more use in the early lives.
4. When playing against Quick players(he's weakness) i find just Becoming overly aggressive.. makes the opponent react more wreck less (Because your applying so much offense they can't set you up..) these lets him abuse mistakes better.
5. Does eating things speed up the growth of the waft?

6. Spaming his Dsmash is the best spamming tool against opponents that like chain GRAB!! king dedede is mean:(
i hope these strategy's have helped you because us wario users most stick together....

jngshin

Smash Cadet
THIS POST IS THE BEST

i literally hated brawl until i messed around with wario, so much mindgames potential its crazy

so anyone have any good combos into waft? i am thinking of starting a thread on this. a fully charged waft has IMMENSE KO potential and some discussion on the more subtle uses for it would be beneficial to my wario play

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
oooh man

somehow on halberd I managed to do a super-wheelie, turning a complete 360 degrees around XD

I got the match on replay, but I won't have a camera again for like 2 weeks so I won't be able to record that segment until then. It is loool

oh yeah, BTW contributing something my friend found a nice thought, up-B out of shield. I tried it on a lv 9 CPU on Fox, while we were in the upper level of Shadow Moses Island it got a KO at around 90%, very underrated as a kill move if all moves connect I think.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I think maybe some more emphasis needs to be placed on the Dair as it's pretty much my bread and butter aerial attack. It has multiple hits (makes shielding people have to deal with that), and can combo into a Bite at low percents (may be escapable - not sure yet). If they shield it, you can crossover and bite them from behind :laugh:.

A couple of things I discovered about the Bike:

1) If you still have your bike available, you can recover from pretty much anywhere. The jump you get from the bike is HUGE and with Wario's aerial movement being so amazing, you should never be afraid to go after your opponent and try to force them off the edge with fairs. Even after you do your 2nd jump fair (pretty much regardless of how low you are), you can still bike toward the stage and get that huge bike jump plus the up-B. Not so much a discovery as it is just acknowledging the fact that his Bike gives him a crazy good recovery.

2) If you use your 2nd jump and then Bike back onto the stage (while still riding the bike), Wario does not get back his 2nd jump. His BODY must touch the ground for him to get back his 2nd jump; even with him on the bike on the stage, it doesn't restore his 2nd jump.

3) You can aerial attack out of the bike jump.

4) Because of the extra height of the bike jump, you can use bike jump -> double jump -> Uair to hit opponents too high to reach with a normal jump->double jump. If they're this high up, then that Uair is probably going to KO them :).

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I think maybe some more emphasis needs to be placed on the Dair as it's pretty much my bread and butter aerial attack. It has multiple hits (makes shielding people have to deal with that), and can combo into a Bite at low percents (may be escapable - not sure yet). If they shield it, you can crossover and bite them from behind :laugh:.

A couple of things I discovered about the Bike:

1) If you still have your bike available, you can recover from pretty much anywhere. The jump you get from the bike is HUGE and with Wario's aerial movement being so amazing, you should never be afraid to go after your opponent and try to force them off the edge with fairs. Even after you do your 2nd jump fair (pretty much regardless of how low you are), you can still bike toward the stage and get that huge bike jump plus the up-B. Not so much a discovery as it is just acknowledging the fact that his Bike gives him a crazy good recovery.

2) If you use your 2nd jump and then Bike back onto the stage (while still riding the bike), Wario does not get back his 2nd jump. His BODY must touch the ground for him to get back his 2nd jump; even with him on the bike on the stage, it doesn't restore his 2nd jump.

3) You can aerial attack out of the bike jump.

4) Because of the extra height of the bike jump, you can use bike jump -> double jump -> Uair to hit opponents too high to reach with a normal jump->double jump. If they're this high up, then that Uair is probably going to KO them :).
Something that I find useful to do as an edgeguard (more like mid-air guard HA!) is to either do a back air, or to do a down air. Providing that you're more to the stage side than they are, the knockback will hit them back away from the stage, and by that point unless they've got multiple jumps, glide, or multiple recovery tactics (like wario's bike or luigi's down b) they're not going to make it back, and you can go back out again for those guys.

BTW, does anyone have any frame/hitbox data for moves yet? I'd really like to know the hitbox/frame data for Wario's Up air, as I seem to have a hard time hitting with it.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
BTW, does anyone have any frame/hitbox data for moves yet? I'd really like to know the hitbox/frame data for Wario's Up air, as I seem to have a hard time hitting with it.
It's the clap part and only the clap part. It's a very short window, but easy to land and worth it.

Why do people think quick characters are Wario's weakness? It's quick characters with reach. Basically, if they can attack outside of his bite range, they're a problem. Sonic, Squirtle, Fox, etc., are just as vulnerable to his combos. Wario's a quick character besides running and tilts.

Speaking of, sHell, do you have any advice against DK? He's a ton quicker now and has great reach.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I think maybe some more emphasis needs to be placed on the Dair as it's pretty much my bread and butter aerial attack.

Yea lol, I tried to stress its greatness in my post along with fair. It's spammable as hell, preasures like no other, and could combo into ridiculous things, PLUS its safe becuase of Wario's aerial DI. It's sex.

And by the way, Wario does NOT do bad against speedy opponents. At all. Really. He's fast himself.

Against sword users, be patient and not as offensive.

Colten

Smash Cadet
I'm owning all my friends with Wario :chuckle:
I rarely use my bite, I think I have to stop using my Bike as surprise attacks and start biting shields more.
Does a Bite do more damage than a grab, one punch and forward throw?
Also how many punchs do you do in a grab before throwing? I only do one, should I do two or more?
One more thing, do you have any tactics for the smash ball?​

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I'm owning all my friends with Wario :chuckle:
I rarely use my bite, I think I have to stop using my Bike as surprise attacks and start biting shields more.
Does a Bite do more damage than a grab, one punch and forward throw?
Also how many punchs do you do in a grab before throwing? I only do one, should I do two or more?
One more thing, do you have any tactics for the smash ball?​
If they're at 0-20% either don't punch, or just punch once then downthrow. If they are at over 100% get like 4 punches in before throwing. Really its just all about mindgames, if you are playing a person in real life, try to hear if they are mashing the control stick to get out of the grab, if they aren't it means more free punches for you lol. At high percentages most opponents focus more on DI'ing to save themselves intead of escaping your hold. Take advantage of that.

And Jump > Upair > double jump > Upair, breaks the smashball. Wario is sooo beastly at getting smashballs.

Speaking of, sHell, do you have any advice against DK? He's a ton quicker now and has great reach.

I actually did play a DK player on Wifi yesterday that I began to do reall ybad against because I underestimated his range.(played a Bowser yesterday too and began badly too).

What you do is calm down on your offense, take advantage of they're slowness and attack when they are vulurable. Be a little more careful on Bowsers because they could airgrab just like Wario can. But for the most part just treat them as semi-not-really-as-bad sword users.
Ftilt in place to stop approaches at times, shieldgrab, fsmash out of shield, AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of DAIR. Big characters get combo'd into Dair so badly that its funny. Really...its funny. In the end of both seperate matches I end up complete wiping the floor with both the Dk and Bowser players, it just takes adjusting.

By the way, I ***** the 5th ranked MLG player yesterday too lol. Oh, I love Wario so much guys.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
5. Does eating things speed up the growth of the waft?

6. Spaming his Dsmash is the best spamming tool against opponents that like chain GRAB!! king dedede is mean:( .

Nope, doesn't speed it up.

And dsmash is too dangerous most of the time and its not strong enough to make up for it. If they catch on, they could just aerial rush you instead of grabbing and you'd be able to do nothing. Try fsmashing or fowardtilting instead to stop grabbers. They are fairly fast and are harder to punish(espeically Fsmash). Fsmash is freaking broken, lol :laugh:

EDIT: oops double post.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
Blue sHell, great guide, learned a few things that I didn't think about, especially the down smash and how bad it is. One thing that I didn't see in your guide is the Dair to Up B combo. It may not be the best combo Wario has to offer, mainly because it's so easy to dodge, but if you can catch an opponent in it then they are stuck and you can get the damage from Dair and then the knockback from the end of the Up B and KO at high percentages, that and the Uair are how I get most of my kills. But like I said the Dair-UpB is easy to dodge if the player knows it is coming, but once they get hit with the Dair they are stuck in it, so that's why I use it all the time.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Does eating things have any effect whatsoever (other than eating explosives which damage you)?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Nope, doesn't speed it up.

And dsmash is too dangerous most of the time and its not strong enough to make up for it. If they catch on, they could just aerial rush you instead of grabbing and you'd be able to do nothing. Try fsmashing or fowardtilting instead to stop grabbers. They are fairly fast and are harder to punish(espeically Fsmash). Fsmash is freaking broken, lol :laugh:

EDIT: oops double post.
yeah ok i see your point i play aginst king dedede all the time and i use that tactic with l-cancel to bite but i guess i'm just weird lolz

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Does eating things have any effect whatsoever (other than eating explosives which damage you)?
Eating explosive items makes Wario's body a decently powerful hitbox. When he "poofmps" it can do about 15%. Might be affected by the power of the item.

Also, you should always, always eat Diddy's bananas.

Sark

Smash Rookie
Blue sHell, great guide, learned a few things that I didn't think about, especially the down smash and how bad it is. One thing that I didn't see in your guide is the Dair to Up B combo. It may not be the best combo Wario has to offer, mainly because it's so easy to dodge, but if you can catch an opponent in it then they are stuck and you can get the damage from Dair and then the knockback from the end of the Up B and KO at high percentages, that and the Uair are how I get most of my kills. But like I said the Dair-UpB is easy to dodge if the player knows it is coming, but once they get hit with the Dair they are stuck in it, so that's why I use it all the time.
Maybe I wasn't doing it correctly, but I went into training mode to test out the Dair-Up B combo and couldn't get them to connect. The knockback at the end of the Dair just sent the computer out of the Up-B's range. Maybe I'm not canceling the Dair or something but it's not working out for me, even at 0%. Any advice on that?

Flan

Smash Journeyman
Great guide, only a few things.

1. Metaknight really doesn't die at low percents unless your opponent doesn't DI. I find the Down throw to F-smash method to be best for killing.

2. What other stages does Wario do well on?

3. Smallville is also very flat like FD, you should probably list that one as well.

Anyways, great guide and I learned a few things from it.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
Great guide, only a few things.

1. Metaknight really doesn't die at low percents unless your opponent doesn't DI. I find the Down throw to F-smash method to be best for killing.

2. What other stages does Wario do well on?

3. Smallville is also very flat like FD, you should probably list that one as well.

Anyways, great guide and I learned a few things from it.
Upair destroys Metaknight. It's just as hard to kill him with Fsmash or otherwise though. With his recovery and decent DI'ing he'll live just as long as anyone else. But Upair, he's gone at less than 100%(on Battlefield especially).

And while we're talking about Metaknight, make sure to be more defensive than offensive when fighting him, and don't bother retreating Fairs as much because they could honestly still reach you pretty well if you whiff. That goes for all the sword users actually.

Smashville is pretty flat but the occasional platform makes it better for Wario. I'll add it.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I just noticed in the PA player finder that you live fairly close to me. I'd like to know if we could do some Wario matches since the lag shouldn't be that bad. A little off topic, but I just had to ask, sorry :[

3GOD

Smash Ace
Something useful I found out about the Bite - I <3 this move so much!!!

The Bite completely OWNS most character's f-smash. I was playing MookieRah's Sonic, and he started to f-smash me, only to find himself getting chomped. I've tested, and pretty much any character who leans in or uses part of their body to attack for their f-smash gets eaten by the Bite. Even Marth's f-smash gets eaten if it's not spaced well.

An interesting aspect of this is that for some moves, Wario still takes damage while at the same time chomping on the opponent. Taking damage could have something to do with super armor frames (for your opponents attack) since I took damage from another Wario's f-smash and a fully charged Donkey Punch. But I think it more likely has something to do with the hitbox connecting on the same frame as the "Bite Box" since I also took damage from a NON-charged Donkey Punch (I don't think it has super armor if not charged).

Glix

Smash Cadet
Hi, great guide! I've been using Wario a lot the last couple of days and I totally love him!

I really like short hopping into down air with him, its awesome. I don't play against pros, so I'm curious, how does that approach rate? Is it punishable, or is it a good solid approach?

Edit: Also, I use the bike more than you seem to. If you wheelie right, you can get some invincibility, so its not that punishable! At first, Pika's fsmash kept kicking my *** on it, but once I got the feel for the wheelie, it was all good.

Flan

Smash Journeyman
Upair destroys Metaknight. It's just as hard to kill him with Fsmash or otherwise though. With his recovery and decent DI'ing he'll live just as long as anyone else. But Upair, he's gone at less than 100%(on Battlefield especially).

And while we're talking about Metaknight, make sure to be more defensive than offensive when fighting him, and don't bother retreating Fairs as much because they could honestly still reach you pretty well if you whiff. That goes for all the sword users actually.

Smashville is pretty flat but the occasional platform makes it better for Wario. I'll add it.
I really have tried to play defensively against Metaknight but then I would have to completely change my play style. It just doesn't work, I'll probably pick up another character or just get used to Metaknight soon enough.

Irish Cream

Smash Apprentice
argh!

Sorry if this has been covered, but what control setup do you guys use? I use the classic controller btw, couldn't find any official gcn controllers. Wasn't hard to get used to as I hadn't played melee in years. I'm not sure why but I have tons of trouble reliably shorthopping Wario's aerials. Most problematic is the Dair, I have tap jump off so I try to either slide my thumb from X to A (with down on the stick) or hit Y then flick the c-stick down quickly. If I hit A or c-stick too early I just do a down smash. I do this FAR too often and am a sitting duck and get punished hard. I've read that you can tap left stick up and right stick down quickly to pull it off easily, but I'm just getting used to jumping with buttons. Should I try with tap jump on, or am I just being weird and need to practice more? I was also thinking of using Y as grab, has anyone tried using a face button as grab? (or otherwise messing with face buttons? Y=special B=jump could be cool) Any suggestions or tips or whatever would be great! I love using Wario he's hilarious but I can't beat anybody half decent when I use him. My post might be kinda off cause I'm using the wii browser... Thanks for reading! :)

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
hey Blueshell I don't know what you do but I can't beat this fatass at all! Using Ness (my main) Give some advice to defeat him! The Ness boarders keep saying he sucks but in reality his a cheap ******* who's fart, bite, and air movement (second to jiggs) I cannot defeat.

PS: My bro uses him and sometimes goes to this board under MY file.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Aww man, I'm finding out some really funny but pointless stuff about Wario. For one, Warioman's up-b can be super-spammed so as to not be a simple clap, but applause XD. The second, I found out is that the no-damage Wario poot when done in close proximity to someone makes them fall over. Useless, but entertaining.

The third may be slightly applicable - I think with Wario's back air, probably the least used of his aerials (or maybe just least mentioned) seems to reach a peak, where his helmet grows bigger (like a lot of other things... mysteriously growing hands >.>) and the hitbox is slightly larger than his helmet; I think here is where the most knockback can be achieved... though I can't really test it that well since I have never owned an Action Replay, not even for GC :/

3GOD

Smash Ace
guys, does anyone ever use the Nair? I can't find a use for it.
I rarely do, but I should use it sometimes since it's Wario's fastest aerial (in terms of the frame on which the hitbox appears). Probably the best time to use would be when you are chasing your opponent off stage with a Fair --> continue chasing with a double jump --> Nair for a little more knockback.

Dair is my bread and butter, Fair is good for chasing off stage (Nair could be good for the final hit of a chase), and Uair is a good kill move or juggler if you don't mind sacrificing it as a KO move. I don't use Bair or Nair much.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you knock someone off the level, you can generally give chase and kill at about 100%. It's also usable for hit-and-run tactics, similar to D-Air/F-Air, although not as reliable.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed in the PA player finder that you live fairly close to me. I'd like to know if we could do some Wario matches since the lag shouldn't be that bad. A little off topic, but I just had to ask, sorry :[
Oh crap, lol you're literally right there. lol

I get wifi back this Tuesday so I'm totally up for it. I was normally stealing internet from the coffee shop I live on top of but after I got disconnected in two MLG online tourny matches(thus resulting in instant loses) and it ruined my perfect record as of then, I decided to get my own connection and ditch the coffee shop's crap. :laugh:

shells do you have wifi and if so can i play you? if not when will you get it?
This tuesday, my AIM is SpandexLicker, add me if you want a match then.

Hi, great guide! I've been using Wario a lot the last couple of days and I totally love him!

I really like short hopping into down air with him, its awesome. I don't play against pros, so I'm curious, how does that approach rate? Is it punishable, or is it a good solid approach?

Edit: Also, I use the bike more than you seem to. If you wheelie right, you can get some invincibility, so its not that punishable! At first, Pika's fsmash kept kicking my *** on it, but once I got the feel for the wheelie, it was all good.
If someone just shields it, right after they have TONS of things they could do to punish you. Wheelying does help for not eating some moves, but its still not too safe.

hey Blueshell I don't know what you do but I can't beat this fatass at all! Using Ness (my main) Give some advice to defeat him! The Ness boarders keep saying he sucks but in reality his a cheap ******* who's fart, bite, and air movement (second to jiggs) I cannot defeat.

PS: My bro uses him and sometimes goes to this board under MY file.
Everytime you see him going to rush you aerially just jump too and hit him with a well spaced Ness Fair. It's disjointed, has good range, and will definitely make your bro think twice a few times before rushing. Bat should help alot too, but really I can't give you too much advice on that because not only have I never played a Ness player in Brawl yet, but I don't know much about him in Brawl in general. Sorry.

Come on you are Shell, I know more about Wario than you said in the guide, don't hold back the good stuff from us. Teach us deeper combos, and real secrets.
Lol, funny you say that because I've been meaning to write a whole crap load about aerial bite followup combos that abuse the fact that grabs have like 1-2 frrames of superarmor(even air grabs like bite). Also I was going to add a whole section on preasure combos too.

But again, since I've ditched the coffee shop's internet, I've only been able to do anything online at work like I am now, and its hard enough making it look like I'm not on smashboards, let alone write practically an essay about combos lol.

<_<!

Nair is the only aerial that is suggested that you short-hop-fast-fall because of its extremely low landing lag frames. So right after a Nair you could jab combo or grab, or fsmash, or ALOT of things because it also has low knockback if not started close to the opponent. Nair actually attacks twice when Wario is in the actual belly flop animation, which alot of opponents don't know, so shieldgrabbing it early might result in them getting hit anyhow. BUT if they shield grab too late you could just as easily spotdodge it and/or jab so it interupts them. AANNNNNDDD like someone stated before, it comes out the fastest out of all of Wario's aerials so its best for those "must do a move situations". ANNND Fair > double jump > Nair is beastly at edgegaurding. ANNND it's the safest aerial to do after a full jump onto a standing opponent because its low lag frames again.

But really, its alot more situational than, say, Dair or Fair, which are spammable as hell.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I personally use the nair as a shield poke. Sometimes I full jump rising fair into ff nair into jab/double jab on a expected shield. I kinda just throw it in there at times because of the low lag. It keeps things going.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Some fun aerial things with Wario:

1) It is possible to double jump after a SH dair. You have to have immaculate timing to pull this off. I don't know the specifics but it seems like it's only possible if you hit them with some of the dair hitboxes, not all of them. It's also possible if you whiff the dair or miss on purpose. So you could do SH dair double jump dair. It's pretty sweet.

EDIT: Yeah it's 100% possible all the time. Insane timing.

2) It is also possible to double jump after a SH nair. This is easier to pull off than the dair one, and seems to have more applications. My most common use it to use it almost like Jiggly's WOP. SH fair, double jump fair, fair. That's my usual approach. Or replace that last fair with an nair. I suggest nair because it has less landing lag >.>

3) Short hop air dodge is a good mindgame/fakeout tactic/way to dodge moves. Or [insert aerial], double jump air dodge. Heck maybe even another aerial after the double jump air dodge =]. I often weave in and out with SH air dodges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom