• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine transparency?

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Anyone can confirm this? I heard Wolf and Fox reflector gives them invincibility frames at the start-up, making stuff pass through them.

thebombguy

Smash Rookie
My thoughts exactly. It's pretty useless if it's at the very beginning, when all characters are invulnerable anyway. =S Maybe I'm misunderstanding the glitch?

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
That's insane!!

I'm definitely practicing this more with wolf, that's actually amazing.

Or you could practice powershielding which gives a similar, if not the same, effect and only requires you to push one button AND ALL CHARACTERS ARE ABLE TO DO IT. Just throwing that out there.

Koscu

Smash Cadet
I do play with Wolf normally, i'm just saying practicing this may help my game out anyways. I can already powershield, it isn't difficult, and i use it against my friends all the time.

Anyways, the timing this takes could definitely be more positive other than just using this as a move. Practicing one move doesn't mean it only benefits -that move-.

Whats wrong with practicing every move i find on here anyways? Practice makes perfect, something everyone strives for.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If it's anything like Melee's Shine, it's invincible and has the Shine hitbox on the first frame, you're vulnerable for the next two frames, then the reflector is activated from the fourth frame on.

So, you're going to clank any attack because you don't have a hurtbox, and you won't get hit by things that can't be interrupted, like Critical Hit, because you simply aren't there to get hit.

Still, it wasn't used as a powershield alternative so much as the fastest followup from an aerial to prevent responses from a shield.

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
I do play with Wolf normally, i'm just saying practicing this may help my game out anyways. I can already powershield, it isn't difficult, and i use it against my friends all the time.

Anyways, the timing this takes could definitely be more positive other than just using this as a move. Practicing one move doesn't mean it only benefits -that move-.

Whats wrong with practicing every move i find on here anyways? Practice makes perfect, something everyone strives for.
Hey you can practice anything you want, don't let me stop you. I was just giving a suggestion because IMO this technique/glitch doesn't look like it has much over powershielding.

Whoa if you powershield all the time you must be crazy good. I haven't seen anyone powershield->punish consistently yet.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Does powershielding have the effect of Parry (free frames, no shield lag afterwards, etc.)? Because the reflector trick has that, AFAIK.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wuzzy: Powershielding in Brawl is EEEEASSSSYYY compared to Melee. The timing window is like... 5 times as big.

Ookami: Powershielding is pretty much the Smash version of a Parry. The "reflector trick" is just clanking an attack with a Shine.

Top Bottom