• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I hate playing good pika's. best thing to do is stay calm, missile cancelling here will almsot always get punished. as for his spam, Perfect shield dash the S*** out of it.

so play safe use your shield like it's your religion, and use D tilt a fair bit

Hive

Smash Lord
with pikachus projectile spamming if he is stationary doing it you can actually time out shields and charge shots to work up your charge shot. Once you have a 2/3 full charge shot it will eat through his projectiles and hit him, and if you fire it while he is trying to spam you its a free hit because his spam will make him completely vulnerable to it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Zup, Samuses !

1QQ: When you AC your Z-air without FF'ing, do Samus suffer the same amount of landing lag as when landing without using an attack?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Zup, Samuses !

1QQ: When you AC your Z-air without FF'ing, do Samus suffer the same amount of landing lag as when landing without using an attack?
it auto cancels so I'm pretty sure we can move right after. I've always buffered like an Up B out of it or a jab or something.just in case of shield dashing

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
it auto cancels so I'm pretty sure we can move right after. I've always buffered like an Up B out of it or a jab or something.just in case of shield dashing
So if an opponent Power Shields a (FF) Z-air, it wouldn't get you in TOO much trouble?

Maybe a pretty "hard to answer question", but how many frames do you need to punish Samus's FF Z-air, if you Power Shield it? (Assuming you're right next to Samus)

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Hardly any frames. If you were next to Samus after power-shielding her FF z-air, you would grab and punish. No way Samus can buffer in a command faster than you can grab if you were next to her =.=

If they managed to shield dash their way to the point that they're next to Samus as she lands after FF z-air, then the Samus has done a horrible job of spacing and should have used other options.

Werk!

Smash Rookie

Absolutely none, as for kill moves Lance stern totally nailed it. except the grab release, it'll hit occasionally but most of the time it'll miss due to them being able to air dodge it.
Still a viable way of shooting off a well aimed Charge shot.

EDIT: does it? hmm cool, I thought it was around 150- guess it;s like 130-140
Hold on, I'm fairly sure the aerial version of Screw Attack has Invincibility frames at the very beginning.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
gday samus boards, ive just picked up samus for some low tier awesomeness and have a few questions id like to ask...

1. is there a 'best' samus? in the same way that there is a best snake (ally) and best mk (m2k).

2. ive read a bit about the grab release to charge shot... do you need to jump for this to hit? or do i just mash b after the grab release?

thankyou in advance

LanceStern

Smash Lord
gday samus boards, ive just picked up samus for some low tier awesomeness and have a few questions id like to ask...

1. is there a 'best' samus? in the same way that there is a best snake (ally) and best mk (m2k).

2. ive read a bit about the grab release to charge shot... do you need to jump for this to hit? or do i just mash b after the grab release?

thankyou in advance
I can answer #2 for you:
+ If it's wario all you have to do is mash B. He has to be released in the air though. Usually you can grab him and pummel him once and he'll air release after 50% or so.

+ If it's Metaknight you have to guess. Their air release is weird. If they are mashing the jump button you'll have to jump and shoot, hoping they don't air dodge while jumping. If not, you can just shoot... they cannot shield it but they can jump over it if they hit jump at the right time.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I swear guys, it can be dodged. Just what I think.

And ther are three best. Xyro tudor and Rohins, if Rohins actually came back, if not he's still a legend.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
just attempting to grab him gets you to about 80% anyways, and grab release combos??? yeah, you'll mess that up.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Maybe I was playing a poor Wario at a Brawl tourney, but I got a good number of grabs in on him. Pivot grabs threw him off. 3/4 kills was with the air release -> plasma shot combo. The thing is he still won the set.

That atomic fart of his is too good. Super fast, heavy knockback, major hitstun AND invincibility frames. You forget he has it until it's too late

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Sounds like Wario. they have every conceivable disadvantage but still win 9 times out of 10.
there is a reason why he's top tier.

can't have been taht abd if he still won, but getting grabbed that much makes him sound kinda bad in my book. If they ain't air camping they aren't playing him right. it's rare that a wario should be grounded, meaning it's rare you'll ever grab him.

however yours seems to have been grabbed a lot, which means he either fails at air camping, or was on the ground too much for a wario :p

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
I think Samus has very good chances against Wario in the Air Game. What do you think? I mean it serious. You must just know how to fight with Samus in the close combat.
I have a replay, where i fight against a wario. I can upload that :)

tha_carter

Smash Ace
No, but there are three noteworthy samus'. Covered in spoiler to prevent broken hearts.

Carter, in pink suit
Carter, in Master Chief suit
Carter, in Iron man suit

Other noteworthy samus' are;
Carter, Carter, Carter, Carter
and
Carter

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I'm pretty sure wario will crush samus in the air if its a decent wario.....
10agrees. Hive is right on this one dude, maybe your wario's aren't as airborn as ours are, But theres NO way we go even with them in the air sadly :(

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
No, but there are three noteworthy samus'. Covered in spoiler to prevent broken hearts.

Carter, in pink suit
Carter, in Iron man suit

and
Carter
Duude, SO late in the responce, that was almost redundant lol.

Get on chaat!

http://xat.com/Impact_Crater

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Carter, in pink suit
Carter, in Iron man suit

and
Carter
Dude, you're ****ing amazing. Almost as good as Xyro, but not quite there yet.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Might just be me, but I get ***** by Wario on ground more than in the air. I play decent to good Warios, to say the least. I'll get hit by a D-smash before a U-air.

carter 4 top tierz

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I have a decent time with Wario in the air. He's usually in front of me, so I zair and fair to kkeep in back. He couldn't really do much.

once he's inside or under me though, that's when the trouble starts. Samus' good zone is mid-range in front of her yes?

pAce

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I think you were just a better player more than anything. I'm not convinced no missiles will do you any favours.

Swordy

Smash Rookie
Imo the only advantage of Samus is the fact that she can hold the enemy in the air. Mostly I see quik jumping to Wario, doing one air and getting back again and trying to keep him away from the ground. There's no scene showing Wario's air abilities, cause he never gets into a good position.
My opinion. ~

Due to the range of Samus' uair, fair and her spike, which Wario lacks of, I believe in Samus' air skills. :chuckle:

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
To be honest, I think you were just a better player more than anything. I'm not convinced no missiles will do you any favours.
Agreed. your just an all around better player than that wario. good job nonetheless though.

also using a bit of missiles agaisnt wario do help, trust me.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Lol... that Wario got hit by so many aerials that it's scary. He needs to work on his aerial camping

Otherwise, fun match to watch. XD

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Well dudes, don't know if that Wario is good or not (well i think he's pretty good :p) and i upped this match to show you how to fight against a Wario. My commendation: Forget Missile Zair and Missile Spam and show him what potencial Samus has really! ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgz_9GwbFLU&fmt=18
You were definitely just a better player than them, but it was still fun to watch.

I enjoyed the super missile -> plasma shot at 1:30, and I like the close combat you bring to the table. Shows good Samus potential. Great use of uairs.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Would it be ideal to b-stick in order to pop missiles out easier?
Not at all. samus needs the C stick for a lot of things to allow her to keep up with the cast. Using the regular B button works well for Missile cancelling.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
If you feel more comfortable with c-stick set to special, so be it. You'll be sacrificing your potential to DI and will have to learn to auto-RAR and use aerials/smashes without c-stick... but you'll be able to use specials easier?

Look at what you're sacrificing when you could instead earn to missile cancel with B.

Whatever works tho.

Top Bottom