• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Hive

Smash Lord
I find that BF is her best cp. the middle platform is screw attack height, the ledges are awesome, and the side platforms are great for spams. ff uair to screw attack works well from the platforms too, and there is a lot off of ledge area to work with. :)

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Are smaller stages better for Samus to improve her poor KO power or are larger stages better to improve her already good survivability?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Are smaller stages better for Samus to improve her poor KO power or are larger stages better to improve her already good survivability?
IMO the larger stages ar the better place to go on an day. Samus is about patience/spacing/spamming. If on a small stage this is ALOT harder. From my exp i win more of my matches on larger stages(fd, pkmn 1, pkmn 2, pictochat, rainbow cruise) because im not pressured alot and i can relax.

Small stages are fine but there is certain things you NEED to abuse in order to maintain control of the match. Platforms. Thats why BF is good for samus.

Hive

Smash Lord
whenever I think of small levels I think of brinstar lol, I hate that level. 0.0

I really like PK1 as a level for samus too... there's a lot she can do there to use the level and avoid kos... I don't especially like the ledges though (they're not horrible though)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I do better on both some larger(Norfair, PS1/2) and smaller(BF, Brinstar, etc.) stages. I'm more of a Melee-oriented Samus, but I use long range fighting a little less than half the time, too. My CPs of choice are usually Halberd, SV, Norfair and BF. Sometimes Frigate, FD and Brinstar.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I'm the ballsy samus, I prefer to get kills off before getting killed, I go in there to give them hell, I am more melee orientated too, but I can spam pretty well too.

my fave stages are ones easy for her to kill on, hence Battle Field, Brinstar (this HIGHLY depends on the opponent) Smashville, and NorFair. I also like Delfino but rarely use it

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I noticed using Jungle Japes is pretty useful guys. I just spam MBBs on the far left platform. If the opponent shields or doesn't shield it'll knock them off.

Her tether grab provides more uses to get back from the water than another opponent. I sure wish I could get some videos up

Hive

Smash Lord
IDK guys, I reeally dislike Brinstar as a samus level. :(
-> too much close range interferes with spacing, she can't dash through the indetation in the bottom, the side platforms basically suck for camping, the lava can save people from samus' offledge game, the pillars can conflict with missiles, and lava can disrupt ledge game... the only things I really like about this level is the fact that you can uair under the level to separate the side platform and use it to camp from, the small amount of side room, and refreshing moves on the pillars... but its really hell to bring marth or dk here...

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Projectiles going through the stage isn't that big of a deal. sauna regularly catches me off-guard when firing a Charge Blast which is three quarters inside the stage on many stages. It's so weird that knowing to expect it doesn't help me to avoid it.

I don't main Samus but I've got some experience on both ends of the fight. So here's my stand on Samus' better stages.

Luigi's Mansion is a good level for her as far as I'm concerned. She can seek refuge when near death. And getting knocked off the stage from the bottom floor keeps you close enough to the edge to cancel your knockback by immediately grappling the edge. She can combo using her U-Tilt, D-Tilt, U-Throw, Bombs, and Jabs while under the second floor. And of course her Zair is a great advantage when either character is using a pillar as a barrier.

Battlefield a another good one for Samus. The platforms can pull opponents out of their airdodges to allow Samus to continue aerial combos. The nook underneath the stage can aid in kills when fighting off the edge. Of the four starters, I think this stage suits Samus best.

Pirate Ship has water. Water is awesome for characters with good Dair spikes. You can invertedly juggle opponents. And eventually get kills. Getting opponents stuck in the air as the ship falls to the ocean again allows for more extensive aerial combos. And Samus' bombs and Zair work well to pin opponents in place when the cannon starts to fire. People seem to jump away from the incoming cannonballs which is a good setup for a Zair.

I have a few others, but I'm sure most of what I've said will fall to controversy. lol

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'm going to have to strongly agree with Undr on Battlefield. I played at Battlefield a few times on ladder today with Samus. And it was.. nothing short of ****.

Hive

Smash Lord
@Undr- except Pirate Ship and Luigi's Mansion are banned here :(

...as is green greens which I'm really bummed about being that it is a good place to counter mk

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
People can say how great Cali is. Until they stop banning all the stages in the game they can bite me. /nods

I mean honestly, there's a time limit for a reason. The matches won't take too long. And Pirate Ship? Which is it, the cannonballs that can be seen coming from a mile away? Or the cannonballs that can be dodge by moving a few steps away when you hear it being shot?

Anyway, enough ranting about the West Coast.

One more thing though. Battlefield is also awesome for it's shape. sauna killed me at zero percent recently. Might be the first time ever. lol I was at zero percent and he Screw Attacked under the stage. He magnet handed the stage and canceled his Screw Attack after just one hit. That one hit did zero damage but bounced me off the bottom of the stage and straight down.

Remember Samus' inital hit with the Screw Attack is meant to jettison the victim up very quickly no matter their weight. It's the other attacks in the Screw Attack that keep the opponent from being flung hard and fast. Try this yourselves when you get a chance. You punks are near invincible while in that attack anyway. v_v

EDIT: Also I can't UndrCombo on Battlefield. /literally sheds a tear.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Delfino Plaza has SO much more than just plasma shots through the stage:

+ Platforms for screw attack beatings
+ Platforms for Zair spacing
+ Zair through the stage about 2/3rds of the way
+ You can uair through the stage as far as 2/3rds of the way and bomb jump/screwattack back to ledge
+ Any stage with a little hill (side of the ports, the sand on the beaches) you can zair spam
+ Wall jump combos on the part where there are three green hills
+ Dair spikes in the multiple water stages
+ Zair spam again. My goodness it's so legit.

try it out. It's my favorite (and best) counterpick.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I personally hate luigi's even if it isn't banned. The middle half-height platforms in the center are the perfect distance to prevent tipper zairing someone who is standing outside; upB OoS is useless on the bottom level; and standing anywhere above the ground floor puts you at a disadvantage.

One of my least successful stages, along with Yoshi's and pictochat.

Xyro77

People also need to get into the habit of thinking, "what stage is WORSE for my opponent than it is for me?"

I say this because sometimes you will be facing a snake and snakes LOVE the same stages as sam sam(bf/fd/delphino....ect)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
IDK guys, I reeally dislike Brinstar as a samus level. :(
-> too much close range interferes with spacing, she can't dash through the indetation in the bottom, the side platforms basically suck for camping, the lava can save people from samus' offledge game, the pillars can conflict with missiles, and lava can disrupt ledge game... the only things I really like about this level is the fact that you can uair under the level to separate the side platform and use it to camp from, the small amount of side room, and refreshing moves on the pillars... but its really hell to bring marth or dk here...
You're playing Samus wrong.
Delfino Plaza has SO much more than just plasma shots through the stage:

+ Platforms for screw attack beatings
+ Platforms for Zair spacing
+ Zair through the stage about 2/3rds of the way
+ You can uair through the stage as far as 2/3rds of the way and bomb jump/screwattack back to ledge
+ Any stage with a little hill (side of the ports, the sand on the beaches) you can zair spam
+ Wall jump combos on the part where there are three green hills
+ Dair spikes in the multiple water stages
+ Zair spam again. My goodness it's so legit.

try it out. It's my favorite (and best) counterpick.
While those can all be useful, they can be turned against her, too. I recently played someone who CP'd Delfino on me as Dedede. 26ish - 132% against the wall, B-air camping up the arse, and a weak F-air caught me near the edge for an early kill. It was close, but the stage ultimately screwed me over
(I ***** him the match before on a neutral)

People also need to get into the habit of thinking, "what stage is WORSE for my opponent than it is for me?"

I say this because sometimes you will be facing a snake and snakes LOVE the same stages as sam sam(bf/fd/delphino....ect)
This. It's part of the reason I like stages that make it easier or slightly to gimp people(Halberd, Frigate, Brinstar(even if they get saved by the lava, all the damage eventually adds up))

Hive

Smash Lord
@Ismar- the side platforms in Brinstar are meh imo. the underside pillar prevents platform missile spams from behind, and there isn't enough space on the actual level to really space out a lot of her game from there, the lava hits there, it extends offstage making fallthrough uair to screwattack less likely, plus they can be tilted making them hard to work with. I mean, they aren't the worst, you can still follow off a lot of aerials there and the ledges connect up with them better, and fallthrough zair is good, but I still think they leave more to be desired... I'm not sure what you consider the "correct" way to play platforms, but I generally find myself limited in what I can do with them as compared to other levels.

Throwback

Smash Lord
not to mention how lava limits samus' ability to spike and play the ledge-game, which are very important advantages for her in almost every match-up, even if you do play agressively.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
@Ismar- the side platforms in Brinstar are meh imo. the underside pillar prevents platform missile spams from behind, and there isn't enough space on the actual level to really space out a lot of her game from there, the lava hits there, it extends offstage making fallthrough uair to screwattack less likely, plus they can be tilted making them hard to work with. I mean, they aren't the worst, you can still follow off a lot of aerials there and the ledges connect up with them better, and fallthrough zair is good, but I still think they leave more to be desired... I'm not sure what you consider the "correct" way to play platforms, but I generally find myself limited in what I can do with them as compared to other levels.
I disagree with your opinion but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it.
not to mention how lava limits samus' ability to spike and play the ledge-game, which are very important advantages for her in almost every match-up, even if you do play agressively.
D-air > Acid > U-tilt. Kthnx

Throwback

Smash Lord
Those are cool options which I will remember for Brinstar (thanks!) but they are still extra moves after a spike which you wouldn't have to do on another stage.

Hive

Smash Lord
you can also use the pillars to fastfall zairs if I'm not mistaken on Brinstar, and the zair will automatically extend to almost full length, however, it will lose the tipper. You can use this on Luigi's and Castle Siege too. ^^

Miles.

Smash Champion
you can also use the pillars to fastfall zairs if I'm not mistaken on Brinstar, and the zair will automatically extend to almost full length, however, it will lose the tipper. You can use this on Luigi's and Castle Siege too. ^^
KairiPro =p

you are a beast on battlefield.

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
Mutiple Questions:

1. Why don't i see People in Samus Videos using the sex part of samus's nair to gimp people's second jump to then spike them... this method for me is working too well...

2. Have we ever thought of using the MBB to set up scenarios where its
You Opponent MBB <.< could this be useful of some kind?

3. whats Samus's Best method to handling a person that is blocking? grab is not working for my kill trick... and neither is Fsmash... Or Like what move has the most shield pressure

4. Sorry have to go soon and already started typing this thing so might as well ask while im here... Which trajectory is more horizontal without DI: Fthrow or Bthrow....

5. Im working on Samus Bair -> Turn around Jab to Jab Lock at Mid Percents... does this sound Useful at all?

Zx

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
1. From my own experience, Nair doesn't have a lot of priority so gimping is character dependent

2. MBB is really situational, but there are some uses when you're in that situation. I like to pressure them with Ftilts or Zairs, depending on where I am. If they back up they may be hit by the MBB, and if not that they're hit by the Ftilt/Zair. Sometimes they'll be hit by both.

3. If they're shielding it may just be a good idea to put yourself in a better position. Samus is about spacing, so maybe move back and put out some light missiles and Zairs. Good shield poking (courtesy of Xyro): falling Uair -> UpB

4. I don't know offhand, sorry

5. That sounds extremely situational and I don't know if it's worth the effort. Plus you wouldn't want to decay Bair, a killing move

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I can help as to how to get it to trip more often. fall on them with leg extended. like it has to be as weak as it can be then just fall. don't think you should fast fall but it's something be should look into.

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
1. From my own experience, Nair doesn't have a lot of priority so gimping is character dependent

2. MBB is really situational, but there are some uses when you're in that situation. I like to pressure them with Ftilts or Zairs, depending on where I am. If they back up they may be hit by the MBB, and if not that they're hit by the Ftilt/Zair. Sometimes they'll be hit by both.

3. If they're shielding it may just be a good idea to put yourself in a better position. Samus is about spacing, so maybe move back and put out some light missiles and Zairs. Good shield poking (courtesy of Xyro): falling Uair -> UpB

4. I don't know offhand, sorry

5. That sounds extremely situational and I don't know if it's worth the effort. Plus you wouldn't want to decay Bair, a killing move
1. Eh Your right... Character dependant... :D
2. MBB eh... Ftilt? Sweet :p

3. Eh... More spacing... ok... i wish she had a move with higher Shield Pressure...

4. I cant find anywhere where they show the Knock back angle of samus's moves
5. I really dont get the decay system... From what i read.... 10 moves in the system. I do Bair -> Turn around Jab -> Jab -> Jab-> Fsmash ... Only about 5 more attacks to rerefresh the bair right? and besides... at like 20% or whatnot i dont see bair killing XD

Zx

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yes, weak Nair->Dtilt IS sexy xD

Zx: I know, but you want to save the Bair so that it's completely refreshed for the kill. I mean, if it works then go for it. But depending on the matchup you may want that fully fresh Bair, just in case.

And after playing some matches today, it SEEMS that Bthrow has a more horizontal trajectory and that Fthrow tends to send them higher, but this is based off of my naked eye

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
3. Your best shield pressure options up close are A)grab and B)d-smash.

Grab has good range but bad start-up... any good player with decent reflexes will side-dodge it. However, it doesn't hurt to use it occasionally. Just as well. if they're shielding, resetting your spacing works, even better when you mind game a pivot grab into it.

D-smash is the overlooked move people don't use. Has horrible knockback for a kill move, but has good shield knockback and shield stun. Not many characters can punish before you buffer in a side-dodge (MK is one of the several exceptions unfortunately.) Charging the d-smash also helps land a possible shield poke and more shield knockback. (I need to start charging more in my games...)

These are her best options. Not much compared to the rest of the roster, but it's something.

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
Yes, weak Nair->Dtilt IS sexy xD

Zx: I know, but you want to save the Bair so that it's completely refreshed for the kill. I mean, if it works then go for it. But depending on the matchup you may want that fully fresh Bair, just in case.

And after playing some matches today, it SEEMS that Bthrow has a more horizontal trajectory and that Fthrow tends to send them higher, but this is based off of my naked eye
Well... i guess about the bair... Thanks tho :D

Bthrow really? thank you... Im going to start using that more...

3. Your best shield pressure options up close are A)grab and B)d-smash.

Grab has good range but bad start-up... any good player with decent reflexes will side-dodge it. However, it doesn't hurt to use it occasionally. Just as well. if they're shielding, resetting your spacing works, even better when you mind game a pivot grab into it.

D-smash is the overlooked move people don't use. Has horrible knockback for a kill move, but has good shield knockback and shield stun. Not many characters can punish before you buffer in a side-dodge (MK is one of the several exceptions unfortunately.) Charging the d-smash also helps land a possible shield poke and more shield knockback. (I need to start charging more in my games...)

These are her best options. Not much compared to the rest of the roster, but it's something.
Umm... Actually Dsmash might work for my wierd set up... Im thinking like SH towards them Lately do Smash Missile and cancel to Dsmash or Grab... I'm catching people off gaurd with Uptilt due to start up....ZOMG LOLWUT? Yes because of Start up lag...

falling u-air to UP+B.
I guess... Can you explain to me what this does to a shielded person?

Zx

Xyro77

I guess... Can you explain to me what this does to a shielded person?

Zx

This is very handly on big characters.

Falling on the foes shield with a u-air drains thier shield ALOT and it shield pokes which can lead to smashes/jabs/tilts....ect

however

What if it doesnt shield break or poke? Before you hit the ground, buffer an UP+B. This will do 1 of 2 things.

1. hurt them
2. get you out of the failed situation

its VERY VERY VERY hrd to get shield grabbed if you do it right. EVEN ddd has trouble.

Top Bottom