• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short-hop air dodge (continuous)--perhaps not new, but an important technique.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
No video, but I've tried this with two characters--Zero-Suit Samus and Marth--and I think repeated, short-hopped air dodges (anyone wanna abbreviate that?) might play a role in the future metagame of Brawl. Short-hopping is a lot easier this time around, so this is a breeze to pull off.

Here's how it might work: you run up towards an opponent, short-hop, immediately hold back to cancel your momentum and retreat away a bit, and air-dodge. This should all be done in about a second, so pull it off repeatedly and fast without fear of punishment. The "holding back" part makes this sort-of a nice stall tactic as well, or something to confuse your opponent (like, doing a few RSA's then suddenly a short-hopped aerial). I imagine this tactic would be semi-useful against the likes of Link, or characters that rely heavily on projectiles.

Your thoughts?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why would this help? Unless you're playing a really stupid person who keeps doing really slow smashes with lots of cooldown when people approach, they'll recover fast enough to poke you once your invincibility is up. It's not like you can use it for approach either.

Also, projectiles can be shielded and dodged.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Um, if you do it correctly Yuna, You land on the ground before your invincibility frames are up and you can jump again instantly, think bowser's infinate jump thing but he's constantly invincible for the duration. How isn't this usefull? And if you finish an arial before you land you can air dodge before you hit the ground because airdodges have almost no lag, and some moves are interuptable by airdodges, This is the technique i believe has replaced L cancelling.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Airdodges are punishable. Why would you want to cancel an aerial with an airdodge? To not get shieldgrabbed? Watch the opponent tilt/jab/smash you for airdodging.

Top Bottom