• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping help?

rchau

Smash Cadet
There are many uses for which short hopping is very helpful, like bairs with ICs or fair with Marth. Anyway, I seem to have trouble with shorthopping. seems to only work half the time =\ i usually do a full hop T_T does anyone have any tips or practice techniques i can do to work on getting the short hop all the time?

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
Repetition is best. Go into training mode and just do short hops for a while. For some extra fun you could pick falco and practice shdl too

GOD!

Smash Ace
just practice a lot. practice running around in training mode just short hopping.

IT helps me to just brush the jump button with my thumb, cause I know I'm probably gonna need my thumb somewhere else really soon. That helped me learn to short hop back when I first was playing smash bros. Also, don't use the control stick to jump.

Beta Knight

Smash Cadet
Make sure you're actually pressing a jump button instead of just tapping up on the control stick. And try doing running short hops, for some reason I find those easier to do/practice with.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Like the others said, practice practice practice.
Oh, and make sure you're not using the control stick to jump...wait, they said that too.
Oh I know, go to practice mode and put the speed down. That's how I learned to SH in melee. It's actually a lot easier to SH in Brawl.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
There are many uses for which short hopping is very helpful, like bairs with ICs or fair with Marth. Anyway, I seem to have trouble with shorthopping. seems to only work half the time =\ i usually do a full hop T_T does anyone have any tips or practice techniques i can do to work on getting the short hop all the time?
5 minutes a day, Use Fox, Training mode, practice. Fox is the hardest character, so if you can short hop with fox, you can do it with anyone.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Basically what everyone else has said... Practice, training mode, slow down the speed if you need to and gradually increase it until you can SH at normal speeds. This may not apply to you, but for me I always found it easier to SH when I was moving (as in, dashing left or right). But then I have a friend who couldn't SH when he was moving, only when he was stationary. So, to each their own.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Practice short hopping in Training mode with fox, once you can perform shorthops fluently with him you can do it with any character.

Kief

Smash Ace
5 minutes a day, Use Fox, Training mode, practice. Fox is the hardest character, so if you can short hop with fox, you can do it with anyone.
Practice short hopping in Training mode with fox, once you can perform shorthops fluently with him you can do it with any character.
Rofl, wat. It's so easy to SH with Fox it's almost hard not to. He's most definately the easiest to SH with. :dizzy:

Unless of course these were jokes right. ;)

tocador

Smash Lord
Its all on the wrists go fap until your hand fall down and you should be ok.

/jk

But yeah, what people said, repetition is the father of all the training. Practice it on training mode a bit each day, like 5-10 minutes, and like in one week you will be doing it perfectly.

It would help tho, if you said which controler you use =P.

madmattis

Smash Rookie
what my problem was, was that i thought u'd have to press the button light instead of for a very short time. once i found this out i had no problems

Top Bottom