• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hopping Problems

I know what you guys are saying "What A noob!" Well, this is not the case; I can short hop most any given time, and wavedash correctly 90% of the time. You might be asking "Then why are you asking about short hopping when you can already wavedash?" Well, I'm here to tell you this: I don't use short hopping to wavedash, I just regular jump, which sometimes screws me over. To explain my situation correctly would be as this: When I'm in a heated battle and start wavedashing I mash the button too hard for me to short hop resulting sometimes in a missed wavedash. But I need to know how to correctly short hop while in a heated battle. Man, this is harder to explain than I thought...I'm also having problems shuffling, can someone help me?

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
I get the same problem. To fix this, I go into training mode and practice it over and over again until I get it correctly. I'm hoping that it will be muscle memory and I can do it as I please. It's pretty much the same way I learned to wavedash. If it worked for that, it should work for this too.

Alright, I get really mad easily though. It took me 5 minutes to learn to wavedash, but I still can't get the concept of short-hopping, so it kinda makes me angry, you know? At least I'm not a gamecube abuser.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't try to short hop when i wavedash, i just hit the jump button and it works fine. I don't think it matters which kind of jump you do, I think it matters on how fast you can hit L or R down after you jump.

pdk

Smash Lord
why would SHing affect your wavedashes? you don't get off the ground any faster with a shorthop, the timing doesn't change so you could just hold the button if you were so inclined

I get a little paranoid, and I can own all of my friends and I am pretty sure I'm top smasher in my town, but that's not saying much. My skills are very shaky and have an unsatisfactory percent of success.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
like whatispie said just go into training and keep short hopping all over the place then wave dash all over the place, thats what i try and do

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
He means wavedashing and then immediately shorthopping out of it. Example: dashing forward, wavedashing back, shorthopping forward. I don't know how you guys do it, but when I wavedash, I mash the jump button so this would screw up my short hops. You can't really mash the jump button if you're going to short hop(unless you're using bowser).

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Honestly, I've never found this too useful with Marth... but either way, I hold the jump button until I hit L/R, then I release both at the same time. I have pretty much the same response, though. Go into training mode. Watch for Marth to return to a standing position after the wavedash, and start timing the jump right after you see him stand. You'll eventually perform it with ease.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I know what you guys are saying "What A noob!" Well, this is not the case; I can short hop most any given time, and wavedash correctly 90% of the time. You might be asking "Then why are you asking about short hopping when you can already wavedash?" Well, I'm here to tell you this: I don't use short hopping to wavedash, I just regular jump, which sometimes screws me over. To explain my situation correctly would be as this: When I'm in a heated battle and start wavedashing I mash the button too hard for me to short hop resulting sometimes in a missed wavedash. But I need to know how to correctly short hop while in a heated battle. Man, this is harder to explain than I thought...I'm also having problems shuffling, can someone help me?
LOL, I learned wavedashing about 2 years before I was able to shorthop at all with any non-Bowser character...

Anyway, if you use a character other than Fox or Pichu, try using the stick.. I found that easier than X or Y. If you think I'm a freak, just stick with X or Y and eventually you'll get it.

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
It's not how light you press the jump button it's how long you hold it down. When you press it you should already be on your way to releasing the button. Some of my friends at college say to imagine that it's hot and will burn your skin.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
Well since you jump with the X button you can just use your nail kind of and gently and quickly stroke your thumb down closer to the bottom of the button. If you do that it will work 100% of the time and it's really easy.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
You have to let the wavedash animation end before you can short hop I believe. So you actually have to time the X, Y as you come to the end of the wave dash.

~rh

Smash Lord
I flick it like sort of like a QCB motion on a joystick.

Amy

Smash Cadet
Training mode > All Modes except multiplayer vs. Train and you'll be amazing.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
LOL, I learned wavedashing about 2 years before I was able to shorthop at all with any non-Bowser character...

Anyway, if you use a character other than Fox or Pichu, try using the stick.. I found that easier than X or Y. If you think I'm a freak, just stick with X or Y and eventually you'll get it.
Just because bowser isn't hard to short hop with doesn't mean you have to stick him into every problem you have with short hopping hmphh lol

What is this thread asking like i really don't understand it?

mark.

Smash Journeyman
well, shorthopping is irrelevant to doing a wavedash, because its how fast you dodge into the ground, not how high you jump. i press the x button hard when i wavedash, i dont think it makes a difference.

as for shorthopping, you can always do a 'hadouken shorthop', which is easy to learn and pretty reliable. however, i dont suggest using it all the time as it has its consequences (sp?)

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
lol your lucky you learned to jump with the x button. i jump with the control stick. try to wavedash like that. it is hard as hell. short hopping is easier though.

Spot

Smash Cadet
It's not how light you press the jump button it's how long you hold it down. When you press it you should already be on your way to releasing the button. Some of my friends at college say to imagine that it's hot and will burn your skin.
I read that once before and tried to remember it in order to short hop more successfully. However, I have found that no matter how briefly I press the button, I still do a full jump. To me it seems that pressing the button lightly is the only way I can manage a short hop.

DRD

Smash Lord
Can you guys give any advice for short hopping with Fox during a heated battle? I use X for jumping with every character. But it seems as If I have a single frame to push and release, and I can't do it that fast without really concentrating on that one shorthop and then kind of spasming my arm up so it barely touches it, and even then I can hardly ever do a short hop, much less fastfall it and Lcancel it. =(

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Can you guys give any advice for short hopping with Fox during a heated battle? I use X for jumping with every character. But it seems as If I have a single frame to push and release, and I can't do it that fast without really concentrating on that one shorthop and then kind of spasming my arm up so it barely touches it, and even then I can hardly ever do a short hop, much less fastfall it and Lcancel it. =(
I can definitely relate to your problem here. The only thing I can really recommend is to do matches vs a lvl 1 comp and just spam shffl'd attacks over and over (you WILL get bored, but continue to do it). if all you ever do is attempt shffl-ing then the series of moves will eventually work it's way into your muscle memory. Once you've accomplished this, you won't have to focus on inputting the controls for shffl-ing during battle, and executing SH's while focusing on a heated match will become much easier.

hope this helps.

Top Bottom