• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shorthopping, ARGH!

Tewn Lynk

Smash Rookie
For some reason, I just can't grasp the ability to shorthop successfully; I've tried multiple times and I manage to do it about one in every ten or so jumps.

I especially have this problem online with other players, because of the half second or so lag with jumps and attacks.

It's kind of frustrating to not be able to shorthop with Toon Link.

Anyone suggest something on how to move my fingers? I use the GameCube controller by the way.

:ohwell:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
For some reason, I just can't grasp the ability to shorthop successfully; I've tried multiple times and I manage to do it about one in every ten or so jumps.

I especially have this problem online with other players, because of the half second or so lag with jumps and attacks.

It's kind of frustrating to not be able to shorthop with Toon Link.

Anyone suggest something on how to move my fingers? I use the GameCube controller by the way.

:ohwell:
Don't jump with analog.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
go to your control set up and turn off tap jump. make a few name with the tap jump set on/off and practice fighting with tap jump off. It'll help you short hop.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Use X or Y.
The only simple solution.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you keep trying short hops with X or Y, think this:

"Finger on hot plate"

Have fun :bee:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is how Shorthopping works:
You have to let go of jump before your character leaves the ground.

That is all. The speed with which you hit jump is inconsequential, it's all about the speed of which you let go of jump. Just practice.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
I do it by flicking the lower 1/3 of the X button with a downward stroke from my thumb. The only time I have problems with it is when I get really excited and I'm trying to aerial cancel.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
meh, wut i did was play cpu's for a little bit. screwing around w/ attempted short hop aerials. after a while shorthopping was np. practice i guess? =o

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
once you get short hopping down try to nuetral+a with the short hop. Once you get that down, fast fall with it. Then try doing that with moving forward & backward in the air & use other aerials. I'd recommend practicing with Marth.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
It looks like the situation is under control, but if you still need help, you can just graze your thumb across the bottom tip of the X button to shorthop. This really isn't necessary in Brawl, but it really helps me in Melee.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
iunno if your agreeing with me or not, my point was that in melee it was way tougher to SH, let alone to SHFFL
SHFFL is possible in Brawl? Lag-Canceling is removed, so wouldnt it be something like SHFFACT, Short Hop Fast Fall Auto-Canceled Aerial...shh..it's a fact that you can SHFFACT(cool name).
Wait, you were speaking of SHFFL in Melee, still, that is a cool name I have up their, SHFFACT...say it.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
SHFFL is possible in Brawl? Lag-Canceling is removed, so wouldnt it be something like SHFFACT, Short Hop Fast Fall Auto-Canceled Aerial...shh..it's a fact that you can SHFFACT(cool name).
Wait, you were speaking of SHFFL in Melee, still, that is a cool name I have up their, SHFFACT...say it.
*facepalms*

im obviously im talking about SH in melee, then I said LET ALONE SHFFLing, jesus people doesn't anyone know what the use of a comma is.....

.............*whispers quitely* SHFFACT.........man that sounds so cool

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Simple, just tap the control stick lightly upwards...
Just turn off tap jump and keep practicing in training mode or home run contest.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
*facepalms*

im obviously im talking about SH in melee, then I said LET ALONE SHFFLing, jesus people doesn't anyone know what the use of a comma is.....

.............*whispers quitely* SHFFACT.........man that sounds so cool
I knew that(half way through writing my message when I rechecked what you said), other than that I pretty much facepalmed myself when I reread what you said, but SHFFACT is definately a better sounding term than SHFFL.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Ok for SH to work all you need to know is not how to press the button or flick the analog stick.
You need to know that it has to do with the speed of release.
So the easiest way that you can do this is picking a button X or Y whatever feels more natural to you.Go to the training mode pick FD or a similar stage and run around pressing X/Y with a fast and ''firm'' movement. In about half an hour tops you''ll get the hand of it.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Pfft. Who needs shorthopping? Use them full-jump mindgames. >< XD Jk jk. You just need to quickly hit the jump button. Like when you get caught masterbating and let go of your wang. Just do it fast. XD

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
With so many replies about such a simple thing I think he gets what we're saying so lets just let the guy read his responses and let this topic move along the pages so other posts can replace it.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Simple, just tap the control stick lightly upwards...
Just turn off tap jump and keep practicing in training mode or home run contest.
Ok for SH to work all you need to know is not how to press the button or flick the analog stick.
You need to know that it has to do with the speed of release.
So the easiest way that you can do this is picking a button X or Y whatever feels more natural to you.Go to the training mode pick FD or a similar stage and run around pressing X/Y with a fast and ''firm'' movement. In about half an hour tops you''ll get the hand of it.
Wait what? you can short hop with the stick?

And has anyone noticed the redundancy in "short hop"? I mean doesn't "hop" conote a "short jump" already? I know it's far to late to be bringing this up, but still....

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
iunno if your agreeing with me or not, my point was that in melee it was way tougher to SH, let alone to SHFFL
agreeing, i found SHing with shiek difficult because it looks the same so i never knew i did it right >_>

-note: ^about 3 years ago

Melee jump animations were faster, thus, it's harder to SH in melee

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
You gotta love X or Y like a woman...firm, but soft
OH WOW. I lawl'd.

I hate to say it, but the only way to do it is through practice. Also, at the guy who led on to the full description of SHFFL training, thanks. Bowser doesn't seem so based on it, but any more speed I can get would help. Never tried training that way, just tried it all at once and that failed.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Try with someone who has a high First Jump, like Falco, then you'll see big difference, its not that hard at all.

Cyclopean

Smash Cadet
Here is how I learned. You need something very hot, you can let a stove heat up, or leave an Xbox plugged in for a few hours. Just stick your finger on it and then remove it as fast as you can. Repeat until you can do it without getting burned :).

Top Bottom