• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should anti-trip be a choice for tourney sets?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So putting on more randomness will allow it to be taken seriously? Yeah, no, won't work like you think it will.

Competitive Players want to test skill, not how often you can get screwed over by unbalancing crap.

It has done fine without them for all 3 games for years on end. We're going to lose quite a lot of players instead. Nobody has shown that they're not a problem whatsoever, so until they can actually prove that, as in, changing the standard, they'll stay off anyway.

And them off appeals to the majority anyway. Majority generally overrules the minority. You know, cause it literally makes sense.

What you're talking about won't honestly work either. Only some items are even balanced as is, and most of them are horribly designed. Brawl just has a very bad item list as is. Melee's was a lot better, once you could turn off explosives.

First, go make an item topic, since this isn't even about Items, second, GOOD LUCK.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a lot of off-topic discussions in here, let me address several:

Tripping Ban (Y/N): No, emphatically.

While tripping is, yes, annoying, it is fairly rare, and both players have the same likelihood of tripping.

Random? Yes. But, in its randomness, it is inherently fair (ignoring aerial / ground - based characters).

Ledge Grab Limit (Y/N): No, emphatically.

If the options are there, they can be perfected and performed. It doesn't matter how "difficult" a technique is that "beats" another (i.e. PSC MK's tornadeo). Eventually, with enough practice, it will be able to be done with perfect consistency.

If planking was 100% perfectly broken, then, yes, by all means. Ban it. However, since there are options against it, I disagree completely with most LGL regulations.

Note: That means that, yes, if there is even 1 character that has a perfect ledgestall (i.e. can't possibly be stopped from regrabbing), there should be a LGL. However, "_____ is sooo hard to get off the ledge..." does not mean "BAN LEDGE GRABS."

Items (Y/N): No, no, no!

Items are ridiculously lopsided. Random crates explode, and the advantages gained from 1 item quickly spiral into more advantages / item control. Also, it shallows the strategical aspect of many, many characters.

Oh, and since we're going off-topic...

Stages in the Unity ruleset...there could be a few more. Considering Delfino Plaza is allowed, it's very shocking to see certain stages not added (although this is probably more of a line of reasoning for banning Delfino Plaza moreso than adding anything else!).

theunabletable

Smash Lord
While tripping is, yes, annoying, it is fairly rare, and both players have the same likelihood of tripping.
It's not that rare lol.

Like people see 1% and they think "Oh 1% it must not be as rare as my instincts tell me it is from playing," but like... it's 1% chance every time you dash.

and I don't think it really matters if it benefits everyone equally (even thought it doesn't, really, it does favor some characters over others). Like, say you had a really bad sickness, but there was a cure. If you had the ability to get rid of it, is saying "It's not that bad, it effects everybody equally," really a particularly valid argument?

I mean it's kind of a silly analogy, but I could expand on it, if you like.

If the options are there, they can be perfected and performed.
This simply isn't true.

Lemme give an example for a game where people do pretty much everything that's available to them to complete it as fast as possible.

In Ocarina of Time speedrunning, people pretty much max out everything that's currently available. When a new trick is learned, the WR is pretty much broken as soon as possible, unless the trick is simply too impractical for a human to perform. Such as there not being a reliable setup, it requiring too many ridiculous to input things.

But that hasn't stopped them from finding a setup for almost every ridiculous trick, and for finding a setup when a new trick comes out. Although there are a few tricks that, quite simply, even though they would save 4+ minutes (which is a LOT of time to save, when you're working to beat the WR by merely seconds), are absolutely impractical to perform.

The Shadow Temple Boss Key skip is a good example of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jL9HOLqwg&feature=channel_video_title

It's probably the hardest trick I've ever seen in any video game ever, and I'm not joking. No human will ever pull it off on console. It will never happen, despite it being a trick that if it did happen, would crush the WR very, very easily.

Some things, the metagame will never evolve to include in a practical sense.

Not just that, though, it would not matter if it could be beaten, if it made the game so unenjoyable for the community that people disliked not having an LGL. I don't even think it really matters that some things are too unreliable for a community's tech skill to beat.

I ask you, why would we leave something legal if it will hurt the community?

Items are ridiculously lopsided. Random crates explode, and the advantages gained from 1 item quickly spiral into more advantages / item control. Also, it shallows the strategical aspect of many, many characters.
Items play is actually really depthy lol

Top Bottom