• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters look physically different the longer they fight?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But really, blood is a big no-no, since apparently anything with blood in it is an automatic M with the ESRB.
"Animated Blood" doesn't necessarily lead to M ratings though, since a couple E10+ and T rated titles have it.

However, even if animated, blood should be avoided for the Super Smash Bros. series.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
"Animated Blood" doesn't necessarily lead to M ratings though, since a couple E10+ and T rated titles have it.

However, even if animated, blood should be avoided for the Super Smash Bros. series.
I was exaggerating about the ESRB. Anyhow, I agree, blood should be avoided. It just wouldn't seem right.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
I think this would be a great, would really add to the game. But I agree that nobody should actually be physically injured. Ripped clothing, broken masks, ruffled hair, etc. would all be good.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Make this feature an option that can be turned on and off. For the sake of pictures/replays/machinimas etc. where they may or may not want battle damaged characters.

The solution to giving injuries to kiddy characters is to do what they do in cartoons.
I was thinking for kirby, he gets a big cartoony bandage on his cheek after taking significant damage.
As for others,
Helmets crack, females hair frizzes. Mario's hat falls off.

jigglover

Smash Lord
In regards to Pokemon, how about the black lines the animators draw on them when they're damaged in a Pokemon battle in the anime. can't find a picture on google images right now, but watch any episode online and it's probably in it.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Marth would look even sexier with a torn cape and a broken bracer. . .
I mean, uh, what? I didn't say anything.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bowser gets a black eye like he did in Toadstool Tour.

Samus loses a small chunk of her armor. This allows us to get a glimps of the inside of her armor.

:phone:

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I personally only see this feature if implemented only happening in stamina mode. Seems the best way to me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't like it.

Not sure if I could bring myself to giving Kirby a black eye. ._.
I think the injuries should be series appropriate. A comical burnt look with big eyes would fit if he was on fire.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For a good list of appearance alternations...

Samus: Power Suit shows some signs of malfunctioning. If it breaks, Samus will immediately become Zero Suit Samus.

Captain Falcon: His helmet will start to take damage. If it breaks, Captain Falcon's face will be fully visible.

Ganondorf: His cape will start to get ripped. If damaged enough, the cape will be fully ripped off.

Meta Knight: His mask will receive a scar.

Little Mac: His face will receive a few bruises. If damaged even further, he'll receive a black eye on his left eye lid.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For a good list of appearance alternations...

Samus: Power Suit shows some signs of malfunctioning. If it breaks, Samus will immediately become Zero Suit Samus.
No way. The last thing that needs to return in Smash is forced switching and this would be the worst case yet. Things like metalic scrapes (with sparks), a broken visor, little short circuits around her body, tired animation, etc. are enough. I don't see the need for her armor to break off when that has never happened in the Metroid games. The only arguable exception was Fusion's opening.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Ripped clothes, broken helmets, etc. - Yes
Bruises, cuts, blood, etc. - No
Pretty much this....

If they don't include it I wouldnt be upset about it. I feel this kind of detail better suits games like Mortal Kombat which prides itself on intense fights and brutality. Even Soul Calibur did it to an extent. But that was only pieces of armor/clothing falling off.

thunderkat2

Smash Rookie
shinpichu said:
But really, blood is a big no-no, since apparently anything with blood in it is an automatic M with the ESRB.
Hello? Anyone remember the part of Subspace Emissary where Master Hand breaks free from his chains? He has obvious wounds where the chains were stabbed into his knuckles.

Posted from Smashboards.com App for Android

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hello? Anyone remember the part of Subspace Emissary where Master Hand breaks free from his chains? He has obvious wounds where the chains were stabbed into his knuckles.

Posted from Smashboards.com App for Android
Yes, i do remember. And I'm pretty sure I clarified earlier I was mostly joking.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Whether it is added or not makes minimal difference to me. And if it is added, it will be minor stuff, like what was cut from Brawl (with broken helmets and stuff). Still, it would be kinda cool to see some "dirty" colors on characters (at least on Smash WiiU). Like if Link's outfit was a little torn, and he had some dirt from falling and stuff. :laugh:
Make this feature an option that can be turned on and off. For the sake of pictures/replays/machinimas etc. where they may or may not want battle damaged characters.
This. Because the reasons add up (although the "damage" should be minimal, and not bloody).

Plus I believe that if you love smash bros, you should be an option wh**e (like me!) :awesome:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Marth would look even sexier with a torn cape and a broken bracer. . .
I mean, uh, what? I didn't say anything.
I don't see the problem Marth is a chick like another :troll:

Johnknight1 said:
dirt from falling
*Tripping :troll:

Though,like you guys,when i hear blood,sure,it doesn't fit Smash but,it is Sakurai,Sakurai already hid actual blood without us seeing anything.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No way. The last thing that needs to return in Smash is forced switching and this would be the worst case yet. Things like metalic scrapes (with sparks), a broken visor, little short circuits around her body, tired animation, etc. are enough. I don't see the need for her armor to break off when that has never happened in the Metroid games. The only arguable exception was Fusion's opening.
Now that you've mentioned it, if you can't disable the appearance changes, my concept could prove to be a huge inconvenience for the Samus mainers.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
I wouldnt go so far as blood, thats not SSB style. Damage to costumes and even maybe changes of stance (like the character is wearing out) yes. That would be a cool way to make the fight seem more lasting or something. Like you can tell how tough the fight is by the damages the fighters have taken, until they die and respond completely fine. I think it would be a cool idea and even could by set on or off, it would be a good way to please different players.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Here's a list of how this could work in my own thinking. No blood or bruises but still getting the idea across.

Bowser-
75%: Left horn gets broken.
125%: His armbands break off.
175%: His shell gets cracked and several of his spikes break.

Captain Falcon-
75%: Mask cracks.
125%: Shoulder pad and the falcon on his mask break off.
175%: His entire mask shatters.

Diddy-
75%: Loses his hat.
125%: His fur gets ruffled.
175%: Pants and has his tongue hanging out of his mouth showing how tired he is.

DK-
75%: Fur gets ruffled.
125%: The fur on his head falls down flat and covers his eye brow ridge.
175%: He loses his tie. Nothing scarier than being chased by a naked ape.

Dr. Mario-
75%: Stethoscope breaks.
125%: Lab coat falls off.
175%: Wheezing and panting and generally being out of breath.

Falco-
75%: Com device gets broken.
125%: Loses the jacket.
175%: Feathers get ruffled.

Fox-
Same as Falco basically.

Ganondorf-
75%: Cape gets torn.
125%: Pieces of his armor crack.
175%: The outer layer of his armor breaks and reveals a glowing scar across his chainmail.

Ice Climbers-
75%: Hoods fall down.
125%: Hammers crack.
175%: Shoes break.

Ike-
75%: Loses his cape.
125%: Small tears in his leather armor.
175%: Large tears in his armor.

Jigglypuff-
75%: Ears fall down.
125% Hair poof falls down.
175%: Gets a sad look like she's about to cry.

Dedede-
75%: Loses his coat.
125%: Loses his hat.
175%: Hammer cracks.

Kirby-
75%: Sad eyes.
125%: Angry eyes.
175%: "X"s for eyes. Zombie Kirby!

Link-
75%: Small cuts in his tunic.
125%: Loses his hat.
175%: Large cuts in his tunic revealing the chainmail underneath.

Lucario-
75%: Folded ears.
125%: Broken spikes.
175%: Tired, worn out look.

Lucas-
75%: Loses his shoes so he's running around in socks.
125%: Gets his socks knocked off.
175%: Hair falls down over his face.

Luigi-
75%: A button on his overalls breaks off leaving the strap hanging.
125%: His hat gets knocked off.
175%: Luigi gets visibly exhausted and his stache curls downward like it's frowning by itself.

Mario-
75%: Same as Luigi.
125%: Same as Luigi.
175%: Visibly exhausted and his gloves are shredded but still wearable.

Marth-
75%: Loses his tiara.
125%: Loses his cape.
175%: Loses his tunic revealing his under armor.

Metaknight-
75%: Mask cracks.
125%: Cape gets torn and shoulder pads get broken but not totally destroyed. When his cape becomes wings they have holes in them.
175%: His mask gets completely destroyed revealing his face.

Mewtwo-
75%: Angry. Has a more aggressive stance.
125%: Enraged. His eyes glow with psychic power.
175%: Psychotic. His eyes glaze over as if he's unconscious while psychic energy (purely aesthetic) crackles around him. Stands up completely straight.

Mr. Game & Watch-
Gets a little more pale in his coloring with each step until becoming a really faded black/gray color.

Ness-
75%: Loses hat.
125%: Loses back pack.
175: Bat cracks.

Olimar-
75%: Light on his head blinks in and out as if it's malfunctioning.
125%: Gets a really worried look on his face.
175%: Helmet cracks but doesn't break. Tries to bite fingernails while standing still.

Peach-
75%: The jewels get knocked out of her crown (So she can still use it in the attacks in which she uses it).
125%: Her dress gets some small tears in it.
175%: She pulls the dress off to reveal her soccer or tennis or basketball or what ever other Mario sport outfit. There was the "naked" Samus thing in Smash 64 so I'm sure this would be fine.

Pikachu-
75%: Ears fold down.
125%: Gets a really sad look.
175%: Crackles with electricity like he can't contain it properly.

Pichu-
Same as Pikachu

Pit-
75%: Loses his laurels.
125%: Wings get ruffled and damaged.
175%: Tears in the outer layer of his toga.

Pokemon Trainer-
75%: PT gets a thoughtful expression like he's trying to figure out a new battle plan.
125%: Frustrated.
175%: Panic. PT runs around the background frantically. If KO'd while frantic PT himself will fly in to the background. PT blasting off again!

R.O.B.-
75%: Small scratches on his surface.
125%: His cord get cut. It's vestigial any way.
175%: Looks downward and crackles with electricity like he's shorting out.

Roy-
Starting to get a little bored with this so basically the same thing as Marth. Use your imagination.

Samus-
75%: Crack in the mask.
125%: Scrapes and gashes all over the armor.
175%: Major damage all over. Heavy breathing. Sparks.

Zero Suit Samus-
75%: Ponytail becomes undone making her hair fall down straight.
125%: Tired and out of breath. Holds her shoulder like it's hurt while she's standing still.
175%: Justin Bailey? Probably wouldn't happen so maybe she could walk with a limp like she's really in pain.

Snake-
75%: Loses bandanda.
125%: Loses harness.
175%: Limps and holds ribs while standing still.

Sonic-
75%: Gets angry.
125%: Flesh gets ripped off of his right eye and the area surrounding it revealing Mecha-Sonic.
175%: Completely reveals Mecha-Sonic. I know. I know. Getting bored, as I said, but I want to finish.

Toon Link-
75%: Hurt look.
125%: Angry look.
175%: Worried look.

Wario-
75%: A button breaks on his overalls.
125%: His mustache gets knocked off his face. It runs away off the stage (Can't be hit).
175%: The other button breaks on his overalls and his pants fall off leaving him in his boxers like Arthur. He'd still have his shirt on though.

Wolf-
75%: Scouter breaks.
125%: Armor cracks.
175%: Armor breaks leaving Wolf shirtless.

Yoshi-
75%: Loses his saddle.
125%: Gets angry.
175%: Falls asleep. Closed eyes. Snot bubble while standing still. Fights normally.

Zelda-
75%: Shoulder pads break.
125% Crown breaks.
175% Gets tired.

Sheik-
75%: Gash through the Sheikah symbol.
125% Loses the cloth with the symbol completely.
175%: Pants heavily. Holds her left arm as if it's broken.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not everyone likes the sports outfits that Peach has. They should be implemented as alternate outfits instead.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see alternate costumes implemented, kind of like textures and not just reskins.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Not everyone likes the sports outfits that Peach has. They should be implemented as alternate outfits instead.
And how long is Peach going to be surviving at 175% any way? I was reaching on that one any way since I was trying to keep it some what varied but also avoid cuts and bruises and stuff and obviously having her dress with big gashes and skin showing isn't going to fly with Nintendo.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And how long is Peach going to be surviving at 175% any way? I was reaching on that one any way since I was trying to keep it some what varied but also avoid cuts and bruises and stuff and obviously having her dress with big gashes and skin showing isn't going to fly with Nintendo.
You have a good pint there, thought the problem could be avoided making hear a multilayered dress this time (she's a princess, just to remind you). So you see just the internal white layer of the dress through the rips.
I think any scar or bruise can be applied if it's shown in a toony way, like by crossed patches or exagerated bumps, or, in the worst cases, halfclosed eyes.

TH3M4NROCKS

Smash Cadet
Yes on damaged clothes, helmets, and weapons.
No on cuts, blood or affecting the performance on characters when their damage goes up. also.....NO TRIPPING!!!!

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
This could be interesting, but it would have to be done right, 1 there should be a setting to turn it off and on, and 2 IDK if cuts and bruises would work, cause you don't get a bruise if Marth slices you with his sword, or if Link threw a bomb at you. I think Meta Knight's mask falling off is a cool idea though.

jigglover

Smash Lord
There's a couple of problems with your list, but other than that, it's absolutely top-notch. Besides, with a list that long, it's pretty much inevitable for only one or two, I found only two!
Yoshi doesn't wear a saddle, it's actually just on it's back, but properly attached to him.
And the second is not so much an error a a personal preference, but I don't usually get up to 175% myself, so I think it should have gone 50% 100% and 150%.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
There's a couple of problems with your list, but other than that, it's absolutely top-notch. Besides, with a list that long, it's pretty much inevitable for only one or two, I found only two!
Yoshi doesn't wear a saddle, it's actually just on it's back, but properly attached to him.
And the second is not so much an error a a personal preference, but I don't usually get up to 175% myself, so I think it should have gone 50% 100% and 150%.
Thanks. I was thinking about that but didn't want it to be too common to see the full effect and 50% seems a little too low. It's pretty easy to get up to 50%. Doesn't really seem high enough but 100% seems too high and you want some time between the different stages which is why I decided on 75%, 125%, and 175%.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it should be a gimmick thing only for a very select few characters.

Little Mac being bruised up would be the best choice.

Falcon and Meta Knight loosing their masks sounds nice as well, but the whole cracks on them thing doesn't seem good to me. I'd really rather just have them break off at some point

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did mention a damage grand total at one point. Basically, the physical changes would only take effect if the grand total of the damage that you've taken reaches a certain amount; it would not be caused by current damage.

If the damage grand total reaches 300%, then the first physical change would occur; if the damage grand total reaches 600%, then the second physical change would occur.

Now, just to clear things up, on the match results screen, the section that reads Damage Taken is what I mean by the damage grand total.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Oh. I thought it was the damage you had at that moment, per say, next to your name and char pic. My bad! I still think 600% is rather a lot though, for even 3 stock matches i's a lot to ask.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's an easter egg, not a game mechanic.

It doesn't HAVE to show up every match

Edit: In fact, I think it should be JUST high enough that it doesn't show up every match

except little mac

Top Bottom