• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters look physically different the longer they fight?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought an easter egg was something put in a game deliberately to reveal snippits of games in the future?
No, I'm not sure what that is.

Like Easter Eggs IRL, it's little things hidden within the game that are little surprises such as Notched Pick Axe in Elder Scrolls referring to notch, who Bestheda was in a lawsuit with at the time or seeing a moogle image in a non-final fantasy square game

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I thought an easter egg was something put in a game deliberately to reveal snippits of games in the future?
That's an Early Bird Cameo which is a type of Easter Egg. Pixar does this in their movies all the time. Lotso Huggin' Bear made a cameo in Up which came out roughly a year before Toy Story 3 came out.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
maybe some different idle animations should be added as well (i.e. Mario should have the "tired" animation from Mario 64 when he's with lots of damage)

KWN

Smash Rookie
I have been thinking about it, and even came across some pictures of Meta Knight with a damaged mask from beta Brawl images.
I don't really know if I truly care if they add it or not, but would it add more to the experience, or take it away? Maybe even make it totally optional in the settings.

What do you think about characters looking physically beat up/worn out with the more damage they rake up?

I believe it should have no effect on actual game play of course.
U know I completely agree it can make things more fun, that's a good idea. hope Sakurai reads this.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Stamina mode would work best for this feature. People probably wouldnt notice in stock matches

KWN

Smash Rookie
I have been thinking about it, and even came across some pictures of Meta Knight with a damaged mask from beta Brawl images.
I don't really know if I truly care if they add it or not, but would it add more to the experience, or take it away? Maybe even make it totally optional in the settings.

What do you think about characters looking physically beat up/worn out with the more damage they rake up?

I believe it should have no effect on actual game play of course.
No, this goes completely against the feeling Smash is trying to pull.

Sure, something like Metaknight loosing his mask would be fun. But cuts, bruises, blood...

No
Blood... No, but the character looking bruised up or exhausted can work.

KWN

Smash Rookie
Stamina mode would work best for this feature. People probably wouldnt notice in stock matches
In stalk matches when the characters damage is at their critical like at around 200 damage or higher bruises or exhaustion can be added.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Characters receiving physical injuries would extend the game far into the T rating and well past its target demographic. The game pushes the All Ages rating for CERO already, and isn't something any developer would want to face when pressed to choose between keeping an open demographic and adding touches that don't effect gameplay in any way.

KWN

Smash Rookie
Characters receiving physical injuries would extend the game far into the T rating and well past its target demographic. The game pushes the All Ages rating for CERO already, and isn't something any developer would want to face when pressed to choose between keeping an open demographic and adding touches that don't effect gameplay in any way.
If u don't count in blood for physical animation it can stay as E for everyone, but MELEE was rated T and people of all ages still played it, I was 10 years old when I first played it back in 2004.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
In stalk matches when the characters damage is at their critical like at around 200 damage or higher bruises or exhaustion can be added.
How long do people normally live when they're at that much damage 2-3 minutes but I think I get what your saying

KWN

Smash Rookie
Characters looking physical damaged without blood is a very good Idea, it wont change the game much, besides only in their critical damage at 200 damage or more should the physical damage occurs. with broken helmets, ripped clothes and exhaustion what ever suits the characters appearance, but no blood. This feature can make the character look as damaged as their percentage. 999% LOL.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I agree with this.

Although the bruises could be added to some characters. (Little Mac and Donkey Kong come to mind)

Of course cuts and blood are a no no though.

I could see some characters not receiving battle damage textures though. (Kirby, Pokemon, Mr. game & Watch)
Well, Kirby might show damages on his shoes and Mr. Game & Watch might be flikering or being semitrasparent.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I think it would be hilarious if Game and Watch had a hole in his head and it looks like he is made of liquid and you can see he is missing some black in his head (as well as seeing some black stuff going out of his head when the damages occurs)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Just put a band-aid on kirby's head and call it a day.

Anyone know if Sakurai ever confirmed that Kirby is wearing shoes, and that he doesn't just have red feet? Man that's something people just kinda look past, like the red shell/saddle/hump on Yoshi's back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Baby Yoshis that will be in New Super Mario Bros. U don't have saddles at all. It's probable that as they mature into older Yoshis, they're given a trait where they'll compose saddles out of Koopa Troopa shells.

Of course, the Yoshi's Story Baby Yoshis seem to contradict this theory.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How the Mario and Pokemon universes work are best not to be thought of much.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
MST3K mantra. It's just a game, you should really just relax.
That also applies to watching MLP (like why only ponies have cutie marks) even though fanworks addressing them can be really good.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The Baby Yoshis that will be in New Super Mario Bros. U don't have saddles at all. It's probable that as they mature into older Yoshis, they're given a trait where they'll compose saddles out of Koopa Troopa shells.

Of course, the Yoshi's Story Baby Yoshis seem to contradict this theory.
Horses have a natural ability to create synthetic saddles and fashion them on their backs obviously. All horses in the world have a saddle on them just like all the Yoshi's do. Because developing a natural shell to protect a fragile spinal cord is just silly and it makes more sense that every Yoshi ever just happens to have a saddle.

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
id like to see it but id hate to see punch marks and bruises on my beloved nintendo franchises like kirby and olimar

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hmm...this concept could work. ZSS rips out of her skin tight suit from excessive damage at 999%.

Nah but really, I'm sure Sakurai would be able to incorporate this somehow. It' be a nice touch.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
This seems like it would add more workload to game development, something that's merely cosmetic, something that would be barely noticeable during 4 player games, and wouldn't really add anything to the game. That effort could be better used toward other things.

There's also the 3DS version to take into account. (and perhaps to a lesser extent, the WiiU tablet screen) Anything that could cause more performance strain on the 3DS version is a no-no imo, and a cosmetic detail like this would be less noticeable on smaller screens. Even if it was exclusive for the WiiU version, it wouldn't be tablet screen friendly. SSB4's visuals should no more elaborate than Brawl's, if not more simplistic. Personally I would welcome a revert to Melee graphics style. If battle damaged Metaknight is so cool, maybe just include that as one of the optional color swaps. (i.e. he would be battle damaged all the time)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
No, this goes completely against the feeling Smash is trying to pull.

Sure, something like Metaknight loosing his mask would be fun. But cuts, bruises, blood...

No
Yeah, this is what I was going to say. It makes it feel like the characters really have something personal with each other, and it's not just some friendly battle.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm looking forward to battle damage! If I remember correctly on Smash 64, pausing as you hit Jigglypuff would show cartoony band aids. As far as I'm concerned that kind of stuff, tattered clothing and tired idle animations would be a very welcome addition.

The Captain Falcon and MetaKnight masks looked a bit rough, but who cares? As long as their is no blood I'm game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tired animations should replace standard idle animations once the character goes over 100%.

Broken armor, tattered clothes, scratched shields, I'm not sure that I want them.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think the appropriate damage for Mr. Game & Watch is being semitrasparent like an image on a LCD screen on low battery.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If u don't count in blood for physical animation it can stay as E for everyone, but MELEE was rated T and people of all ages still played it, I was 10 years old when I first played it back in 2004.
It's worth mentioning that Melee was released before the creation of the E-10 rating(as was the Incredibles game), and a majority believed that would have been it's grade if released later(guess we have to wait until a rerelease to find out...)

anyway, if I were to apply damage to the characters, it would be as such:

Mario,Luigi:lose hats, bandage
Peach:Dress tears around bottom
Bowser: Cracked collars/chains(aka spikes are broken:maybe spikes on shell too), bandage
DK, Diddy:bandages(like in Game Over screen of DKC1)
Wario: bandages,torn overalls(if wearing classic suit)
Yoshi:bandages
all Pokemon: Bandages. I also thought the "danger" ding from the games would be neat too,but that could get annoying
Link/Toon link: torn spots on outfit, cracks on sword
Zelda:torn spots on bottom of dress
Sheik: mask has torn spots,showing some of her hair and face
Ganon: torn cape
Samus: cracks in armor
ZSS: torn spots on suit
Fox,Falco: Torn jacket
Wolf Cracked shoulder pads
Kirby:bandage
DDD:torn robe, bandage
Metaknight cracked mask(can eventually break off)
Marth, Ike: Torn capes, cracked blades
Captain Falcon:Cracked visor.one side will eventually beak, showing his eye.
Olimar cracked helmet
Ice Climbers:torn parkas,crack spots on hammers
Pit:torn toga, ruffled feathers
Mr.game & Watch: static all over body
ROB: shoots sparks out of body
Snake:Bandages,heavy breathing
Sonic:bandages

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Fire Emblem characters could look more angry when they are about to be defeated like in Fire Emblem: Awakening. It would add emotions to them.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
When I think of how R.O.B. should look damaged I can't help but thinking of that famous scene of the movie Short Circuit 2. You know which one I'm talking of, don't you?

Top Bottom