• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters look physically different the longer they fight?

Adrian G

Smash Rookie
I would like this, but it must be character specific if we're talking about damaged clothing/gear. Another cool idea is to temporarily show damaged in a highly stylized kind of way. For example, iff Pikachu shocks someone, that cartoony thing happens where you can see an x-ray of their skeleton and their hair stands on end. Or if you get blown up by a bob-omb, assuming you're not KO'd, your character is charred black (again like in cartoons). What do you think?

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Sonic should to begin to look like he did in Sonic 06 as he's getting weaker! :troll:
Note: I never played Sonic 06 and have no opinion on it.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I thought about it for a minute... if characters looked physically different the longer they fight then it would feel to much like Dragon Ball Z and the series is already similar because of the knockbacks.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
The first problem I thought of when read this thread was that some of the battle-damaged characters could have negative backlash. An example could be the pokemon characters. A bunch of brusied and damaged animals? PETA already made that one game example they don't need anymore fuel lol

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The idea could work I just don't want them (Sakurai and his team) to over do it.
Although it may or may not be funny to see Yoshi with a black eye or DK with a singed tie depending on how it is executed.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The first problem I thought of when read this thread was that some of the battle-damaged characters could have negative backlash. An example could be the pokemon characters. A bunch of brusied and damaged animals? PETA already made that one game example they don't need anymore fuel lol
Like they really need fuel. Seriously, we shouldn't give them a damn.
And the pokemons are not the only animals in the game.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm just curious as to how some characters would show off such a feature. I mean, Mr. Game & Watch. Would he grow a giant lump on his head or something? It'd look like a second nose!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm just curious as to how some characters would show off such a feature. I mean, Mr. Game & Watch. Would he grow a giant lump on his head or something? It'd look like a second nose!
He would start flashing and becoming trasparent like a low battery LCD image.
Some characters could show a different standing animations when being in great damage:
Damage 0%:
Damage 150%:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think changing the idle animations when the damage is high enough would be a good idea.

I'm quite surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think it would be cool to see some battle damage over time nothing extreme but cracked armor Mario's hat gets knocked off that kinda thing.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think it should work with anyone, even characters like sonic. Maybe characters get bandages like in some shows. Maybe Sonic's shoes could get damaged, since that wouldn't really effect his appearence at all.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think it should work with anyone, even characters like sonic. Maybe characters get bandages like in some shows. Maybe Sonic's shoes could get damaged, since that wouldn't really effect his appearence at all.
His gloves too. And how about his scales more separated/uncombed?
I mean: I always thought Sonic doesn't have just a dozen of big scales but thousand of them like any hedgehog, and he just puts a lot of gel over them.

Alzi

Smash Master
Tired animations should replace standard idle animations once the character goes over 100%.

Broken armor, tattered clothes, scratched shields, I'm not sure that I want them.

I agree with this.

I think making a character animation look tired would be a nice touch but broken armour etc I don't really seem to be liking the idea.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Characters like kirby and jiggs could be altered by having like a "x" bandage patch on their head to symbolise being hurt.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
ALRIGHTY! Damage effects for every character.
Bowser- Broken spikes
Captain Falcon- helmet damage + visor breaking
diddy kong- loses hat
DK- tie rips
Fox- headset breaks off/ coat rips
Falco- headset breaks off/ coat rips
Gannon- Cracks in armor/ dents in sword
ice climbers- hammers get cracks/ hoods fall down
King Dedede- Hat falls off/ minor cuts in coat
kirby- eyes half shut/ new tired animations for standing still
Link- shield breaks/ loses hat
Lucario- spikes break/ new resting animations
Lucas- hair gets messed up
Luigi- hat falls off, mustache wilts a bit
mario- hat falls off, one overall strap comes un done
Marth- hair band comes out/ cracks in armor
Megaman- sparks come out of his armor a bit/helmet eventually cracks off
metaknight- cape tears/ mask cracks
mewtwo- new tired animations/attack effects appear slightly smaller
Gayman watch- color lightly fades
Ness- hat falls off/ after shocking yourself 5 times his hair stays straight up
olimar- helmet gets cracks
Peach- Turnips faces slowly get angrier at higher damage/ jewel on her dress falls out/ crown falls off
Pikachu- new tired animation/ hat falls off/ goggles break/ light electric sparks out of his cheeks
Pit- shield gets cracks/ wrist band break off/ the aura around his arrows fade
Pokemon Trainer- new tired animations/ half closed eyes
Rob- metal casing breaks in some parts revealing wires/ one of his sensor eyes breaks
Roy-Armor breaks/ hair gets messy
Samus- armor breaks/ smoke from her gun/ visor cracks
Shiek- Head wrap comes undone/ cuts in clothes
Snake- Armor breaks off
Sonic- Gloves rip/ shoes wear out/ spikes wilt down a bit
Toon Link- Shield cracks/ eyes go dizzy after a while/ hair gets messy
Villager- Axe has chips in it/ trees start having less leaves/hair gets tusseled
Wario- Mustache wilts down/ hat breaks(falls off if classic)/ Motorcycle is busted up with flat tires/ Jacket rips (overall strap is undone if classic)
Wii fit trainer- hair tie comes undone/ starts stretching while idle
Wolf- Headset breaks/ cuts in jacket
Yoshi- eggs appear to be cracked/ tail curves down a bit more
Young Link- shield breaks/ loses hat
Zelda- gloves tear/ crown falls off/ special effects get a dimmer smaller look
Zero suit samus- hair comes out of pony tail/ zero suit rips a bit/ gun sparks when fired

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Battle damage is something I've wanted in SSB4 since I learned that Brawl was originally going to have it.

If it does get into SSB4, I think that ripped clothes and cracks in masks, shields and armor is as far as they'd take it. Maybe cartoony bandages in the shape of an X on more comical characters, but that's about it. Seeing Mario's face all bruised up or bloody would be the total opposite of what Smash is all about.

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I do like the idea of this. Of course, seeing them with tired expressions and stances with ripped clothing is as far as they can go. This is still a cartoony/family friendly game after all and seeing actual blood on them would be kinda disturbing.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I would like to see physical change after a long time, if were going to do that in Brawl might as well do it know.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I have been thinking about it, and even came across some pictures of Meta Knight with a damaged mask from beta Brawl images.
I don't really know if I truly care if they add it or not, but would it add more to the experience, or take it away? Maybe even make it totally optional in the settings.

What do you think about characters looking physically beat up/worn out with the more damage they rake up?

I believe it should have no effect on actual game play of course.
n o no

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This idea would be pretty neat! Scraped ideas tested during the development of previous Smashs' usually are applied to the next game, so I why not? I won't buy too far into this, but the Mega Man trailer shows him bruised, sparked up, and cracked, so that may just serve as an indicator right there even if we haven't seen any real evidence. :awesome: If it's implemented though, it should happen as damage stacks overtime with more severe or noticeable damage happens at higher damage.

Of course, I don't expect the Smashmosphere to be hyper-violent or even show traces of blood or gore. That would just ruin it. Just reflect on this little gem here.

Anyways, speculation time:

Anna: Ponytail gets cut off, clothes show rips and tatter
Andy: Hair becomes unkempt, clothes tatter and show sweat stains, wrenches and mech become cracked, sooty, and emit sparks
Bayonetta: Becomes completely naked and you can see everything! Hair becomes tattered, dark aura permeates off clothes, clothes show rips
Black Shadow: Horns crack off, helmet cracks, visor cracks and partially shows eyes, armor cracks, cape shreds and falls off
Bomberman: Bauble tears off, clothes and hood show rips, X bandages and bruises on face
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario: Shell dulls, spikes break, knot tears off, X bandages and bruises on skin, handkerchief shreds and falls off, paintbrush cracks, bristles tatter, Shadow Mario's paint composition becomes unstable and starts bubbling
Chrom: Armor shows cracks, Falchion shows cracks, shoulderplate cracked and knocked off, hair becomes unkempt, cape shreds and tears off
Dillion: Armor dulls and bruised, cowboy hat gets knocked off, handkerchief tears and falls off, skin shows bruises
Ghirahim: Fringe gets cut off, hair becomes unkempt, scarf rips off, clothes show rips, skin becomes bruised
Jack Frost: Sockets on cap tear off, collar ends tear off, skin becomes bruised with a few X bandages
Isaac: Hair becomes unkempt, scarves tear off, armor and sword shows cracks, clothes show rips, aura bleakens
Isa Jo: Hair becomes unkempt, clothes show rips, laser sword starts to blink and spark as well as metal showing cracks, skin shows some bruises
King K. Rool: Skin becomes bruised and shows X bandages, cape shreds and falls off, jewel cracks, crown falls off
Krystal: Hair becomes unkempt, cloths show rips, tiara breaks off, staff shows cracks
Little Mac: Gets black eye, bruises, and X bandages, looses teeth, gloves show tears, hair becomes unkempt, clothes show sweat stains and wrinkle
Masked Man: Helmet cracks, eyeglass cracks, clothes show rips, sword glow dulls and sparks
Pac-Man: Gloves show rips, shoes show rips and details and soles peel off, X bandages and bruises on skin
Palutena: Hair becomes unkempt and shreds off at the end, laurel falls off, staff and shield crack, dress shows rips, metal becomes cracked, stockings show rips, sandal straps become loose
Ridley: Skin shows bruises and dulls, wing flaps get holes
Robin: Hair becomes unkempt, coat tatters and shows rips, end of cloak shreds off, hood tears off, sword shows cracks, magic becomes unstable
Saki: Knot unties and hair becomes unkempt, clothes show rips, laser sword starts to blink and spark as well as metal showing cracks, skin shows some bruises
Shulk: Hair becomes unkempt, Monando Blade emits sparks, cracks, and blinks, armor cracks, clothes show rips
Skull Kid: Clothes tatter, hat gets knocked off, Majora's Mask's expression become more intense and starts to twitch then eventually falls off, showing the avian face of the Japanese model
Takamaru: Clothes show rips, knot falls off, katana cracks
Toad: Mushroom cap becomes bruised and has X bandages, clothes show rips, skin becomes bruises
Waddle Dee: Bandana shreds and falls off, spear shows cracks and splinters, X bandages and bruises on skin
Walhart: Horns of crown break off, hair becomes unkempt, armor and axe becomes cracked, cape shreds and tears off
Waluigi: Hat gets knocked off, moustache dulls and droops down, overall straps become loose, clothes show rips, bruises on skin

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
DK has the bruises and the X bandages from Punch Out. (in the same places also) And his tie is ripped a little.

Diddy has bandages and black eye like he had in the DKC game over screen. His hat also falls off and his shirt rips.

Villager's shirt rips, his tools have cracks, his watering can is leaking water, his eye is swollen like if he got stung by a bee.http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3013/image_301370_620.jpg

Wii Fit Trainer's hair is undone and messy, her tank top and pants have rips, and she has some bruises.

Mega Man's body has scratches, sparks shoot out of his joints, and his helmet eventually falls off. Mega Man's weapons also show a bit of damage. (Metal Blades are cracked, Leaves in the Leaf Shield are full of holes, Crash Bombs have cracks, Hard Knuckle has tons of scratches, the Flame Sword's color is toned down and not as bright, etc.)

Meta Knight's mask cracks and eventually breaks off. His shoulder pads have scratches, the extra blades on the sides of his sword break off, and has gloves have rips.

Link's hat falls off, his tunic shows rips, his boots have rips, his shield cracks, dents and breaks, and the Master Sword starts showing many cracks and becomes dull.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Oh Man, I love these Ideas. Especially the Marth ones where he loses his diadem. When that things out of his hair you KNOW he's ticked.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The only way I could accept this would be if they take from their respective series. Villager's tung face/ Meta knight's mask cracking and breaking/ Link's Shield breaking/ Pokemon tired animations (like from colosseum but this was already implemented)/ kirby could always use the bandage from the famous 02 boss battle (minus the blood raining everywhere of course)/ little macs bruises/ etc.

What happens when you eat a maximum tomato or get a heart container???
Isn't there a shimmer effect on healing items? That could easily mask the transformation/healing.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi losing their hat and Link losing his hood?

Top Bottom