• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I just give up?

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
I play Smash competitively, but the only way for me to play is Online. I have no way to get to tournaments, no one around my area knows how to play good, and even if I knew someone around me who plays good, I still can't go because my parents would never let me.

Should I just give up? I don't think I can get better if I constantly play online, and I don't think I can get better if I play against people who aren't very good at game. I love competition, but there is no one to compete with. So, does anyone have any suggestions for my problem?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
wait until you can drive, then drive to tournaments.
^^^
What I'm doing.

I'm in the same situation. I get my license in a month or so. =)
Just play good people online, whatever makes you feel like your getting better.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Though I'm not the topic creator...

But there really AREN'T any tournaments anywhere. A few hours away, perhaps, but...

...how do you get GOOD then? If all you do is drive to tournaments, all the practice you get is at tournaments.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
No, you play friends that play too. Unless they don't play. Then that's true I guess.

Don't give up though, if you really crave competition then you'll do what everyone should be doing...going to tournaments. (I don't have anyway to get places either....so I'm a hypocrite. -.-)

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's my problem too. My solution? I started hosting tournaments and raising interest in competitive smash. People in my area already played and loved the game, and I just pushed them to reach competitive levels. There has been noticeable improvement since I started hosting.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
But there really AREN'T any tournaments anywhere. A few hours away, perhaps, but...
online tournaments.
...how do you get GOOD then? If all you do is drive to tournaments, all the practice you get is at tournaments.
You get good by going to tournaments and playing people who at either at your level, or better then you. Then adjusting your play style based on your new found experience.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Online play can get you better, the only thing thats different is timing, which is easy to transition to offline.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Well, I guess you can always do online tournaments, although I don't really recommend it.

Now that I look back at it, I was lucky to have a way to get to the countless tournaments I attended back in the day, especially since I played several games competitively...

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Out of complete curiosity; is it possible to guarantee that in an online "against anyone" match, you would only be playing against a single person?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Out of complete curiosity; is it possible to guarantee that in an online "against anyone" match, you would only be playing against a single person?
I haven't actually tried a "with anyone" match. But I've heard that you can't. I'm not a big fan on Wifi in general though. I'd rather be at a physical location for tournaments.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
That's very rare, either there will be two CPUS filled in for a 4 way FFA or you'll just be dropped. Only once ever have I gotten a 1 vs 1 on basic brawl.

To OP: Have you heard of any games clubs or overheard people who like to play smash?

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Probably playing against good players online, just exchange on this site and you'll probably run into alot of good players. yes there is a lag but that doesn't mean you can't learn more and improve your game

TP

Smash Master
I'm in the exact same situation, but worse. I had a taste of the good life, with friends at exactly my skill level playing with me constantly. THEN THEY ******* MOVED TO JAPAN.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Do you live in Nebraska XD?

Nah but really just hang in there and atleast use the Smashboards friend finder when it comes back for some competition and practice

F3ma Ch33f

Smash Apprentice
I play Smash competitively, but the only way for me to play is Online. I have no way to get to tournaments, no one around my area knows how to play good, and even if I knew someone around me who plays good, I still can't go because my parents would never let me.

Should I just give up? I don't think I can get better if I constantly play online, and I don't think I can get better if I play against people who aren't very good at game. I love competition, but there is no one to compete with. So, does anyone have any suggestions for my problem?
Im in the same situation, but I love Smash, so im not gonna quit. Im gonna wait untill I get a car, then drive my *** to tourneys lol, but seriously don't quit man. Continue to play online and get better so when you finally go to a tourney you'll place well.

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
Well, cause.

"You shouldn't play too much games."

or.

"You could get kidnapped."

or.

"Your getting bad marks."

or.

"No."

The list goes on. But to sum it up, my parents are really protective of me.

Well, cause.

"You shouldn't play too much games."

or.

"You could get kidnapped."

or.

"Your getting bad marks."

or.

"No."

Well, you can wait till you get older or show your parents that you are responsible for your own actions. If not, well then too bad, you're just gonna have to wait. Cling to Wi-Fi if you want.

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem too :p

I live in Australia, and I'm not sure if there are tournaments over here at all.

I guess I need to start playing online matches against people here.

K 2

Smash Lord
I think the majority of smashers are teenages who can't drive, or who just learned to drive (myself included) Unless your parents just don't care, most of them won't drive you 1-2 hours and pay a fee for you to play videogames.

I would suggest playing computers only for honing technical skills. i.e. chaingrabbing, QAC, smashboosting, pivot grab, etc. Playing humans online and offline is much better for combos, techchasing, and mindgames. Just play online for now and hope for the best.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I only play Melee, but I've had my license for a year and am going to go to my first tourney soon. Driving or having crewmates who can drive helps a lot. We have an 8th grader in our crew (he's actually my team partner), and he's going with use to a Purdue tourney.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
try to exchange friend codes with people online, that might give you some good opponents on wifi

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
Have to agree with the first guys, just wait til your older and drive to tournaments.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Can't you tell those good players to come over your house? Teach your friends and make them practice? Persuade them to buy the game so they can get better? if all that does not work out mate, at least you still got the world to play with. That reminds me, I remember being the only skateboarder that could actually ollie in my neighbourhood. Then I got my friends to take it seriously, now there better than me at certian things in skating.

-Ran

Smash Master
1. You meet more strangers when you go to school. This is nothing different.

2. It's a great social experience. You'll build PEOPLE SKILLS. You'll make friends that will do more than play a video game with you.

3. They can go with you. Most Smash tournaments last about a few hours.

4. Go as a group with multiple friends. Your parents will be more likely to say 'yes.'

5. Most tournaments are in highly visible and public places. You aren't going to get kidnapped.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman

Play people from the boards :). The competition doesn't get any better than it does here. I'll be happy to play you once I get my wifi hooked up.

Top Bottom