• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I not be using the control stick to jump while I'm Jiggly?

Skin

Smash Rookie
I have for the longest time, and it's held up all right, but what are advantages to using X or Y (and turning tap jump off) to jump other than easier UTilts? What are other recommended control setups? Thanks.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I have for the longest time, and it's held up all right, but what are advantages to using X or Y (and turnging tap jump off) to jump other than easier UTilts? What are other recommended control setups? Thanks.
You can move more freely in the air and use your aerials much better, it's definitely worth using X or Y

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I use the control stick to jump and I maneuver in the air just fine. Using the CStick helps you keep your mobility while using aerials and that's what I do. I only use X to jump (my Y is set to shield) when doing a RAR which is like almost never as Jigglypuff.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
A lot of pro's in melee used up to jump. Using up lets you sit with your other thumb on the c stick.

That being said, I use x to jump, lol.

Skin

Smash Rookie
So what I'm getting is that there are ups and downs to both sides, but I'm not missing out on much either way. I was trying to adjust to using X or Y to jump, and after almost a decade of playing smash with tap jump, it's difficult as hell.

Skin

Smash Rookie
I'll have to try setting jump to R then. Sounds like it might work nicely, it'll just take some adjusting. What I'd really like to do easier is UTilt.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah, unfortunately u-tilt isnt as great as it was. The best part about having tap off though is that now, you can boost smash easier and also you still can do U-smash and a sing with no lag outta of shield.

Skin

Smash Rookie
Why does it make boost smashing easier? Any time I've wanted to do it, I've done the dash to C-Stick down and up-smash motion Z button (grab).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It makes it so you don't have to press Up and an attack button at the same time (the grab method is good, but its hard for most people who try to use A). You just have to press any attack button and you can have more benefits from having tap off than on (for the loss of frames due to tap jump for Up-moves in a shield, check out my other post).

Skin

Smash Rookie
I'm clear on all the other stuff except for the alternate and/or improved method of boost smashing, so what exactly does the input become? By the way, thanks for the help Alex and everyone else.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
I see no reason to not have tap-jump off, I don't see Jiggly up-B'ing out of her shield any time soon.

About the boost-smash thing, I'm guessing it's just so you don't jump instead of up-smashing, it's just an increased, unnecessary risk.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah. Its pretty hard to do that accidentally but its also so you don't accidentally jump at the wrong time and a whole bunch of stuff. Essentially, you can do everything you can with tap jump on but more including U-tilt easily, better spacing, and more.

Top Bottom