• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I turn jump off of my Analog Stick?

You know how they have that tap up to jump when you use the Gamecube Conroller? I try to do Wolf's up tilt and I jump a lot on accident. Should I turn it off or is using X/Y to jump not a good idea?

mzero00X

Smash Rookie
I think that depends on your own preference. I was actually thinking about doing that as well. After thinking about it, I believe that turning it off isn't a bad idea as long as you don't rely on using the stick for jumping. With JC grabs and smashes absent in Brawl, it shouldn't hinder gameplay. It might even be beneficial since it won't ruin your combos by inadvertently jumping.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
yes. do it.

jumping with x or y (or whatever button you map jump to) is key in order to do short hops, which are critical to your success. I find tap jump to be very annoying and turning it off was literally one of the first things i did upon loading brawl.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
You know how they have that tap up to jump when you use the Gamecube Conroller? I try to do Wolf's up tilt and I jump a lot on accident. Should I turn it off or is using X/Y to jump not a good idea?
I did, because I was bothered by wasting jumps with characters like MetaKnight, Pit, etc. - but then it also just leads to annoyance and trouble for when I want to up-B out of shield as Samus, Bowser, etc.

Using x and Y to jump is good for a lot of things, but so is the control stick jump. I would suggest practicing not jumping when you don't want to - for here, move the control stick up more slowly, or move it up when you're in the lag of another move (like a landing aerial) so you can up-tilt just by tapping A.

mzero00X

Smash Rookie
I agree with Phanna (big fan btw). Like in Melee, the pros were able to use up tilts on call without acccidentally jumping when you couldn't turn off control stick jumps. It just takes some practice.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Leave it on. You may make mistakes with it on, but with it off, there are things you CAN'T do, and that's worse, IMO.

Top Bottom