• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

should ike approch?

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
i am a decent player with ike. i know what im doing to an extent but im still learning how to master ike. should ike approach in a match?

Strivus

Smash Cadet
Depends on the character really. If it's a projectile spammer and there are no platforms, well then you don't have much of a choice, but if it's someone doesnt have one or there are platforms, let them approach you. Ike can easily punish predictable and foolish approaches. Ike's game is all about punishment, and this is one of the easiest ways to punish.

Likewise, if your forced to approach, mix up everyone through SHAD, PShielding, sidestepping and even (rarely) though counters, since Ike's counter has decent range and countering the projectile near them usually triggers counter and hits them. It's what I've been doing against Pika and Pit, but keep the countering to a minimum, as abuse can get you punished.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on the match up. For example, we were talking about the Meta Knight match up in another thread, and decided that MK's strategy vs Ike is to apply pressure while staying out side of his grab range. It's kinda funny, but the Ike has to approach the match the same way. If you try to play defensively against a good MK, his speed and range will destroy you. Thus, Ike has to play an aggressive spacing game as well. If you apply well spaced pressure to the MK so that he has trouble applying pressure to you, then you'll be much better off. You have to be very calculating in your approach though. If you miss an fair and haven't spaced properly, MK has the speed to run in for a grab.

Hinote

Smash Cadet
Ike has great range and a few quick aerials. Of course he should approach. You have no choice but to approach for a projectile user. For non-projectile users, prediction and spacing is always the key.

Othersyde

Smash Rookie
i am a decent player with ike. i know what im doing to an extent but im still learning how to master ike. should ike approach in a match?
It all depends on many factors: character match-up, opponent's play style, your play style, stage layout, etc.

There really isn't a clear yes or no answer.

In reality - its not really whether Ike should or shouldn't approach - its more like being able to identify when is it good for Ike to approach and when is it not. Playing purely defensive it will be hard to take out your opponent but playing too offensive and you could make yourself an easy target. It's all about maintaining that balance and as well as reading your opponent.

ADHD

Smash Hero
FAST FALLING IS GOOD! Short hop, fair, uair, bair, whatever. Just short hop and fast fall right when you are initiating the attack. Not only does it allow the attacks to hit small characters but it actually makes Ike kinda fast if you repeat it. Its a great way for close physical defense too!

3xSwords

Smash Lord
IMO ike can **** against ppl w/o projectiles
if he plays defensive
1 can use repeated shorthop b-airs to
ward of the opponent
2 the new shield system lets him **** w/ shield grabbing
and doing quick moves such as the AAA combo out of it
3 u can always counter
4 the retreating f-air
5 and retreat w/ QD if it gets too close
although playing defensive isnt really ike's style