• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ShadowLink and RDK addressed your other points satisfactorily, but about this one...

Its even cooler how you don't understand the use of the universal "you".
You directly quoted me and then started repeatedly using the word "you." How was I supposed to interpret that as "you" (plural) and not "you" (singular) when the paragraph came directly after a quotebox of my post?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think its cooler how you lack proper english.
you=singular
you people=universal.
You pwned yourself here, so I won't bother.

It can be done.
Fsmash kills, shuttle loop kills. MK has plenty of other tools if he suddenly lost those three moves.
You don't know what you're talking about. the mere presence of a move that kills isn't what makes a character ban-worthy, or even good.

So if I glide attack past you, you'll run up behind me and Fsmash me?
Um, no. re-read what I actually posted.
last i saw, only Captain Falcon and Sonic could perform such an act consistently and this is solved by going off stage and grabbing the ledge.

I shuttle loop I don't have to glide attack. I can glide attack whenever I feel I ams afe. I won't glide attack you because of your Fsmash. I glide attack without getting close to cancel my landing lag or glide past you.

The glide attack fails as an offensive option.
again, re-read what I'm actually posting. you're responding to something other than what I'm saying.

Toon Link and Link are both characters that can deal with aerial zoning rather effectively.
A number of characters can deal with aerial zoning well not just MK.
Link doesn't deal with aerial zoning jesus. toon link is decent at it, but game & watch beats toon link and he ***** link.

Wrong.
unlike MK Snake has worse matchups overall and has exploitable weaknesses.
I highly doubt he would be the best in the game just because there are characters better than him overall.
he won't win every tournament, hell MK doesn't win every tournament.
So why would a much more flawed character win as much?
snakes win more tournaments than MK's. the entire concept of "MK wins every tournament" is ******** to begin with, and thats the only point I was trying to make.

I forgot to point out something, if this is true for M then the same can be said for every other character.
do you even play this game?
snake for example has no move he HAS to use to win. A snake can beat you using only aerials and grenades if he wanted to. f-tilt and uptilt get it done faster, but its not REQUIRED like d-smash and glid attack is required for MK.
zelda can beat you without using upsmash if she wanted. game and watch definitely has no moves he simply HAS to use. Neither does Kirby. or Marth. You can win with all of those characters using all kinds of different styles. You can not win against good players with MK without glide attacking out of up b, and using d-smash. not possible.

Lets completely forget that the Ftilt is rather a fast and good for zoning. Or that he has his Dtilt which is faster and has greater range than the majority of grund mvoe sout there and is faster too.
a moves "fastness" is only useful when your opponent makes a mistake. most of the time the f-tilt will be blocked and MK will be punished. Unless you get mindgames or you make a mistake. I dont know where this whole, MK can run and randomly tilt you business comes from but its false.

big deal all the characters have an answer to the tornado. However, you must acknowledge the circumstances regarding those answers.
as i said, tornado is little more than a nuisance. it doesnt win matches for MK.

ShadowLink and RDK addressed your other points satisfactorily, but about this one...

You directly quoted me and then started repeatedly using the word "you." How was I supposed to interpret that as "you" (plural) and not "you" (singular) when the paragraph came directly after a quotebox of my post?
I didn't say you plural. I said you universal.
the first sentence of that post was something to the effect of,
"if you constantly get hit by d-smash, you aren't good at this game"

note the word "you" in that sentence. am I really talking about YOU specifically? you seriously think so? i'm going to have take this back to elementary school language arts and use the word "one". I'll rephrase for the slowfolks.
"One shouldn't ban MK because one sucks at this game"

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
LOL omg I **** my pants when I saw that.

TheOneJanitor, all of your arguments are ridiculous and are basically a thinly veiled blanket statement mixed with a horrible slippery slope. I'm not even for the ban, but assuming Snake will suddenly dominate tournaments as soon as MK is banned is not only ridiculous, but also ignores the statistics. One of Snake's fortes at the moment is that he's a good matchup against MK. What happens when MK gets banned?
snake already dominates tournaments, snake is a good matchup against 90 pecent of the characters in the game. and that post was only a response to someone who said MK wins every tournament,w hich is wrong

And picking apart a character's moves and saying he wouldn't be as good without __, __, and __ is just stupid. You can do that with any character. Your argument is hypothetical and has nothing to do with anything.[/COLOR]
theres a difference between "as good" (what you made up) and " playable/able to win with" (what I said).

to the person who quoted you, obv. snake wouldn't be as good without those moves, but can you win against good players without them, absolutely positively. not so for metaknight, because he's a one-dimensional character, his one dimension just happens to be badass, but not such that he needs to banned. not even close.

RDK

Smash Hero
snake already dominates tournaments, snake is a good matchup against 90 pecent of the characters in the game. and that post was only a response to someone who said MK wins every tournament,w hich is wrong
I agree that the assertion "MK wins every tournament" is clearly wrong, but saying Snake will suddenly dominate all tournaments if you take one character out that hinges with Snake's potential matchups in such a way is unfounded.

Plus, if this is true, getting rid of MK only hurts Snake, which means he just has one less advantageous matchup than before.

There's really no way of knowing what would happen if you take MK out. Other character development has to be factored in.

Take the Diddy naner combo that was recently discovered. That seems like it may incredibly effect Diddy's matchup with MK.

theres a difference between "as good" (what you made up) and " playable/able to win with" (what I said).

to the person who quoted you, obv. snake wouldn't be as good without those moves, but can you win against good players without them, absolutely positively. not so for metaknight, because he's a one-dimensional character, his one dimension just happens to be badass, but not such that he needs to banned. not even close.
I still don't see the point of stating this. What does this have to do with the MK ban?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I figured I should point out that the 'No' section has a lot of Metanight fans in it, like MetaKnightKing, for example.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You think Snake can win against good players without his ftilt, utilt, and c4?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey T1J, I'll gladly MM your snake with random if you don't use ftilt, uptilt, or c4. ;)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
snakes win more tournaments than MK's. the entire concept of "MK wins every tournament" is ******** to begin with, and thats the only point I was trying to make.
Tournament wins for September-November:
Meta Knight - 54
Snake - 29
King Dedede - 17
Falco - 13
Lucario - 12

Yep. Snakes sure do win more tournaments. A whole -15 more than Meta Knights, in fact.

do you even play this game?
snake for example has no move he HAS to use to win. A snake can beat you using only aerials and grenades if he wanted to. f-tilt and uptilt get it done faster, but its not REQUIRED like d-smash and glid attack is required for MK.
Excuse me, WHAT? First of all, I'd love to see Snake being able to flaunt dominance in an AERIAL game when the entire aim of MANY characters against Snake in the matchup is to send him in the air to LIMIT HIS OPTIONS. I don't know if you're using hyperbole or something here, but Snake's aerial game isn't nearly as good as his ground game.

Second of all, Meta Knight's dsmash is great because it hits fast and has low cooldown, yes. But you keep talking about glide attack being ridiculously predictable and punishable, yet a necessary attack for Meta Knight. Contradiction? Why would anyone be REQUIRED to use an attack that's so heavily predictable AND punishable? No single character requires that you play like Drephen, Meta Knight included, and if you see Meta Knights doing nothing but glide attack and dsmash, chances are they wouldn't place well in tournaments anyway so they're not exactly great examples of the character being played well.

I didn't say you plural. I said you universal.
the first sentence of that post was something to the effect of,
"if you constantly get hit by d-smash, you aren't good at this game"
What business did that paragraph have responding directly to my quote? Are you saying you just decided to quote my post for the hell of it and then go on some random tirade against everyone NOT quoted by you? If so, good job, you sure fooled me man. Next you should directly quote something from da KID and under it respond in a paragraph to all the Dedede mains out there. 'Cause it'll make all the sense in the world.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna kinda jump in here with a question:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Meta Knight essentially break the counter-pick aspect of the game? Knowing your matchups and efficiently counter-picking is an important aspect of competitive Smash, and doesn't MK kinda negate all of that? Because it seems to me like there is no reason for someone to NOT use MK. Why use anyone else when MK can and will get the job done just as well, or better?

I just want someone's opinion on that.

[EDIT] lol@1337voters

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm just gonna kinda jump in here with a question:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Meta Knight essentially break the counter-pick aspect of the game? Knowing your matchups and efficiently counter-picking is an important aspect of competitive Smash, and doesn't MK kinda negate all of that? Because it seems to me like there is no reason for someone to NOT use MK. Why use anyone else when MK can and will get the job done just as well, or better?

I just want someone's opinion on that.

[EDIT] lol@1337voters
The main argument right now is about whether MK has any disadvantageous matchups or not. Many people are saying Snake beats MK. Some are arguing that Diddy beats him.

You're right though. If he had no bad matchups, he would break the counterpick system and thus should get banned.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The main argument right now is about whether MK has any disadvantageous matchups or not. Many people are saying Snake beats MK. Some are arguing that Diddy beats him.

You're right though. If he had no bad matchups, he would break the counterpick system and thus should get banned.
Well he certainly comes close to breaking it :laugh:

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Currently, Meta Knight at worst has one or two 40/60 opponent's advantage matchups for what that's worth. Of course, if we throw out all personal bias flying around this can swing as far as 60/40 for Meta Knight depending on what you like to believe. Take that as you like it.

Boxob

Smash Champion
You guys seem to forget that Sonic is still the fastest in the game. He can completely wreck MetaKnight with his sheer speed.

:093:

viparagon

Smash Ace
"Enough with the arguments about banning Metaknight and let me tell you something.

When I play 'Super Smash Bros Brawl', I went to training mode, I play as Ike, and I faced off against Metaknight as an Lv.9 AI to test Metaknight's moves in training mode. What I discovered Metaknight's technique, is that when I play as Ike, I got out, then I respawn and knock Metaknight out, then Metaknight respawn and I got out again, then I respawn and knock Metaknight out again, until I got great advantage to knock Metaknight out twice within being stayed alive.

So the conclusion is, Metaknight should not be banned, because I test him while I play as Ike and I have no problems with Metaknight.

Remember that Metaknight gets knocked out by any of the characters(like Ike), because if you read 'Super Smash Bros Brawl Guide: Premiere Edition' by 'PrimaGames', they will tell you about 'Fight against Metaknight' in the 'Character Guide' Section."

just putting it out there...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
"Enough with the arguments about banning Metaknight and let me tell you something.

When I play 'Super Smash Bros Brawl', I went to training mode, I play as Ike, and I faced off against Metaknight as an Lv.9 AI to test Metaknight's moves in training mode. What I discovered Metaknight's technique, is that when I play as Ike, I got out, then I respawn and knock Metaknight out, then Metaknight respawn and I got out again, then I respawn and knock Metaknight out again, until I got great advantage to knock Metaknight out twice within being stayed alive.

So the conclusion is, Metaknight should not be banned, because I test him while I play as Ike and I have no problems with Metaknight.

Remember that Metaknight gets knocked out by any of the characters(like Ike), because if you read 'Super Smash Bros Brawl Guide: Premiere Edition' by 'PrimaGames', they will tell you about 'Fight against Metaknight' in the 'Character Guide' Section."

/thread
All arguments made are null when confronted with this gem.

kirbstir

Smash Lord

Why is having no counter (and thus, "breaking the counterpick system") a bannable offense?

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Why is having no counter (and thus, "breaking the counterpick system") a bannable offense?
Because the best option to beat MK would be to use MK himself, and then if you bother to learn MK there is no reason to use anyone else because MK does better than your other main anyway. If MK could be countered, people could learn the counter and use that against MK, and their main against everyone else.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Because the best option to beat MK would be to use MK himself, and then if you bother to learn MK there is no reason to use anyone else because MK does better than your other main anyway. If MK could be countered, people could learn the counter and use that against MK, and their main against everyone else.
That makes the assumption that only a MK can beat another MK, which has been proven wrong time and time again.

And so what if it's the "best option" anyways?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Arguably, if there are neutral matchups, then the better player should win the majority of the time.

I'd be fine with that.

That's actually how alot of Sonic matchups are lol.
---------------------
Now, the question is, are the people who main characters that should go even with Metaknight on-par with the MK players, skillwise? Are they familiar with the matchups and punish Metaknight when possible? Do their defensive moves, DI, and mixups match the speed that the MK players throw out and mix up their offensive moves?

:l

BentoBox

Smash Master

ENOUGH SAID.

*locks thread*

edit: "It's your choice if Meta Knight will be banned, but if you don't know how to beat Meta Knight, then have you done a 'Dodge' or 'Aerial Dodge' in the game?"

viparagon

Smash Ace
ENOUGH SAID.

*locks thread*

edit: "It's your choice if Meta Knight will be banned, but if you don't know how to beat Meta Knight, then have you done a 'Dodge' or 'Aerial Dodge' in the game?"
lulz 2 gud

more wise words from maxfire:

"Zerofox, I agree with you, Metaknight's tornado slash are not that perfect.

So anyway, let me tell you this.

I play as Metaknight against the Lv.9 CPU for the test to see if is impossible to avoid Metaknight's repetitious tornado slash. While I kept spamming the B button to do the tornado slash to do a heavy damage among the players, is gonna be a 75% - 40% chance to avoid the spamming Metaknight's tornado slash, because to counter is if you play as Ganondorf, you could press the down arrow and the A button to counter Metaknight's tornado slash."

i especially like the 75-40% chance of avoiding it! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom