• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should "No Tripping" be a Tournament Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The game should be played as it was programmed and tripping has just as much "purpose" as any other aspect in the game.
You do realize that I can say that you should only play the game with items on and 2 minute Brawl matches right or basically casual and not competetive. So the "how a game should be played" argument is moot.

You honestly are going to tell me that Sakurai intended for tripping to have as much purpose and sentimental value as the roster, stages, SSE, classic mode, target test, trophies, stickers, or the FREAKING CHRONICAL? Tripping is hands down the least worthwhile component of Brawl overall and it won't be missed.

And for the record, the purpose of tripping was to hinder competetive play. What PRACTICAL reason is there to include tripping? Tripping serves NO competetive purpose (honestly, it does not serve a casual purpose either). It does nothing for gameplay (unless you like to trip in which case you should switch to Lucas). It is a waste of programming.

And lets face it, no TO could get away with a Brawl with a changed hitstun or roster. People would not even bother to go to their tournaments. But who would not go to a tournament just because it removed tripping? It is not the participant's Wii using the hack, so it should not matter to them for the most part.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
You seem to have a really immature way of thinking about things.

You can always pivot and avoid tripping.

Don't try to change something just because you aren't skilled enough the overcome it.
How the hell do you overcome a random mechanic? The only way to avoid tripping is to not move forward on the ground EVER! And thats a losing strategy.

It doesn't happen enough to make you wary of ground-movement, but when it does happen, it either does nothing, helps you, or hurts you (all for no reason). YOU CAN'T ADAPT TO TRIPPING! You can tolerate it, but you can't adapt to a random mechanic.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
And if their are more matches then people can watch?

Your second sentence confuses me. Are you referring to when some1 said they would have the final match be tripless?
That only occurs in the first(and second?) round, which, inevitably, some people must fall victim to tripping, survival of the fittest I guess. After a few matches, the eliminated players can watch the matches to, plus, recording equipment could be used.

I meant, at a tournament with multiple Wii consoles, why should someone have to mod their unwillingly? And why should some people have to play on modded/unmodded consoles.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
That only occurs in the first(and second?) round, which, inevitably, some people must fall victim to tripping, survival of the fittest I guess. After a few matches, the eliminated players can watch the matches to, plus, recording equipment could be used.

I meant, at a tournament with multiple Wii consoles, why should someone have to mod their unwillingly? And why should some people have to play on modded/unmodded consoles.
im sure you'd have a choice to not mod your wii,hopefull the TO wont enforce it,but enourage it

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
From my post in the other thread -

Normally, a game mod requiring additional knowledge, effort, or hardware prevents all players from having equal access for practice, separating the "haves" from the "have nots." The "have nots" would have a difficult time adjusting to the mod's rules and mechanics, making them automatically less likely to win a tourney that uses a mod standard. Also, mods sometimes mess with the balance of characters, as some mods affect certain characters more than others.

Removing tripping, though, takes no effort to adjust to. Players familiar with the modification and players unfamiliar with it will be on equal footing (provided both parties know that the mod is in place). In fact, the absence of random tripping would be welcome to many, especially those who have lost a stock or attack opportunity to an unlucky trip in the past. Also, all characters would benefit equally (except IC's, if the rumor about their superior traction is true), so the balance of the game would not be affected.

TL;DR - if a tourney were to support the No Trip standard, I would see that as a plus.

mcl0v1n

Smash Rookie
I totally support the idea that tripping is stupid, pointless and inhibits high-level play.
However, I also appreciate the logistics of using such hacks in tournaments. If the TO supplies the Wii, with hack applied, there will obviously be no problem. With multiple Wiis and the possibility that people might implement other, biased hacks, there may be a problem.
For these reasons, I think it should be left up to the TO, rather than become a tournament standard. It can be implemented when appropriate, avoided where it would cause issues.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
How the hell do you overcome a random mechanic? The only way to avoid tripping is to not move forward on the ground EVER! And thats a losing strategy.

It doesn't happen enough to make you wary of ground-movement, but when it does happen, it either does nothing, helps you, or hurts you (all for no reason). YOU CAN'T ADAPT TO TRIPPING! You can tolerate it, but you can't adapt to a random mechanic.
Uh...just like the lottery, you take the risk, and, it is a small risk, about 1 in 100. Maybe Smash Bros. players just don't know how to take on real risks!

im sure you'd have a choice to not mod your wii,hopefull the TO wont enforce it,but enourage it
...enforce what, this is no rule...your just being goony right now...

4Serial

Smash Lord
Stacy has an incurable disease.
This disease has always been there, and it is how the Creator wanted her to be.
A doctor appears. He says that he can cure her disease with no side effects at all.
There is no downside to this cure and Stacy will only live the rest of her life happily.
But Stacy says no. "It is what the Creator intended."

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I really only have 2 cents to add, probably only 1 if you're looking hard. That is, the idea that taking tripping out somehow violates sakurai's "intention" or "vision" etc. for this game, is ridiculous to me.

I am of the firm opinion that the "intent" of this game was in no way competitive in the first place. In fact, I really think the game was designed specifically to be anti-competitive. You can disagree, and I can think you're wrong. I don't think any less of anyone for it, and I hope you don't either.

I could go into detail as to why I think this makes sense, or how a "creator's vision" isn't something that really needs to be respected. But at the end of the day, I don't feel my elaboration would add much, or anything, to this conversation.

That said, I just wanted to cast my vote against that argument's validity in general.

edit. Theres no reason to be a ****. Falcon, I'm looking at you.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Stacy has an incurable disease.
This disease has always been there, and it is how the Creator wanted her to be.
A doctor appears. He says that he can cure her disease with no side effects at all.
There is no downside to this cure and Stacy will only live the rest of her life happily.
But Stacy says no. "It is what the Creator intended."
The problem is when Nintendo decides to patch away the homebrew channel/twilight hack, disease not cured, problem not solved.
Nintendo knows more about their console than the modders do, and the homebrew channel and such are bound to be patched away again and again.
Sure, everyone who has the mod could never ever use the Wifi connection...

metaXzero

Smash Champion
The problem is when Nintendo decides to patch away the homebrew channel/twilight hack, disease not cured, problem not solved.
Nintendo knows more about their console than the modders do, and the homebrew channel and such are bound to be patched away again and again.
Sure, everyone who has the mod could never ever use the Wifi connection...
Nintendo can't do anything if the person chooses to not update their Wii. And hackers will just continue to find ways around it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Tripping should go

This is why I base my point not on the fact of insignificance, but the fact of negative significance, if any. The only possible defense for tripping are "balance" issues that others have brought up. The problem is, no matter what kind of effect tripping has on other aspects of the game, tripping in and of itself is still detrimental. You should not use a negative aspect to balance another negative aspect.

I'll take the chaingrab argument, for instance. If tripping didn't exist, and you were thinking of some ways to nerf a characters chaingrab, you would most definitely not introduce an element that effects all characters in the game negatively (tripping) in order to fix the few chaingrabs. You're "breaking" all characters in order to fix a few in that example.

In summary, all arguments for keeping tripping are flawed by nature since tripping is intrinsically negative to the game.

Slippery Slope
I really have a problem with this argument, because it basically assumes the community knows no restraint. Do people seriously think the smash community is so immature that we would even approach a gamebreaking extreme with this? If something as blantantly obvious as tripping is still getting support, then there's no way we're gonna see any progress with true game-altering changes anyway. Any competent gamer knows that changing a global will have drastic effects on the gameplay. And only competent gamers become the significant TO's. We're not in the hands of a 5 year old here, people! We can takes matters into our own hands. The only reason console games like brawl aren't constantly patched like PC games is simply because it's a hassle, and nothing more.
This post is full of win.

To be perfectly blunt? Yes.

With everyone here complaining about how much they hate brawl, do you think they'd turn down the chance to turn it into the game they were originally hoping for? If they could do it right now, I garuntee you they'd turn it into Melee 2.0.
The only problem with your complaint is that even if a bunch of people want to turn Brawl into Melee 2.0, it wouldn't necessarily become tourney standard, in fact, it probably wouldn't. It becoming tourney standard is the only time you have to worry about it.

This is one of the many reasons this slippery slope argument is idiotic.

AlexX. Being saved by tripping is just as detrimental to competitive play as tripping into attacks BTW.
Exactly. Because the person on the other side is getting screwed up. That's like saying that tripping helps out with the original effect people talk about, because the Ike who has someone trip in front of them with 100% is one lucky guy.

See the issue with this is that it is going to start a chain of mods where everyone is going to change the game to their view of it. That is going to lead to a bunch of ****. It should be left alone. No mods, just pure straight fighting no matter what can **** it up.
This argument is going to lead to a chain reaction of my brain cells imploding due to being exposed to so much idiocy.

Your argument? Just about as plausible as that statement right there. If you don't have a good argument against tripping, then don't argue against it with "I don't want hitstun!" When the time comes and a hitstun code is out, voice how much you hate it then instead of using this irrelevant and stupid argument here.

We should also remove Luigi's Green Missile misfires, and stick Mr. G&Ws hammer on only a certain number, just cause those are randomly decided effects.
And, yeah, you initiate the trip by dashing(the quick horizontal smashing of the analog stick), and you can initiate the Green Missile or Chance Hammer thing by either hitting the analog stick(horizontally and the B button) or hitting the C-stick horizontally.
Oh yeah, Peach also has random turnips.
Seriously, I won't tamper my Wii, I know some of you are bad at dealing with misfortune, sometimes, your tears are the only way to deal, but get over it.
Now, I wouldn't mind an official patch that gave us the option to toggle tripping off, otherwise, I won't tamper with my Wii, cause it will probably get blocked anyway.
Again, using one of many attacks is a lot different than MOVING. Not using Judgment/Turnips/Green Missile are plausible solutions. Not moving isn't, unless you want to get *****.

doesnt the twilight hack or homebrew channel invalidate warranties ppl might have? theyre wii's warranty shouldnt be voided because of this. TO's should make sure they know what they are doing before doing this.
Technically, yes. However, I've heard stories of people sending in their Wiis after putting this on there and having them fix it free of charge without even noticing that. And if you want to be super careful you can erase all traces of the channel and hacks before you send it in.

It shouldn't be tournament standard, because whats to stop people from putting in slight modifications to their mains as well as take out tripping. Like slightly beefing knockback or damage on certain attacks, then blaming it on poor DI or the other players ignorance to the percentages on each attack.
First, just so you understand, let me explain how this works. You use the Code Manager on your PC to put the codes on your SD Card. Then you insert the SD Card into the Wii, start up the Homebrew Channel, use the Ocarina program, launch it and if you put the codes on right it should sense it and boot up the game with the codes added.

Now, easy way to stop people from buffing their character? Have the TO either have many SD Cards of their own to use in the tourney or take everyone's SD Card at the beginning of the tourney and upload just the tripping code onto them (it auto-replaces the previous codes on there). It takes all of 30 seconds to do so, so it's not unrealistic.

This idea is crap because half life proved that modding games is a horrible decision that ends in a slippery slope to stuff like CS:CO and CSS.

You should be ashamed

edit:look at the names for those that posted for trip and those against. People for tripping because of balance are pros.
Au contraire my friend, you should be ashamed for using that BS Slippery Slope argument for the umpteenth time and acting like you're smart for doing so.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I don't see the SBR approving the 'No Tripping' code, for many of the reasons Jewdo stated up top.

I can see people holding 'No Trip' tournies anyhow. Or at the very least designating say, finals matches to No Trip Stations. That'd be a realistic way to go about it, but disadvantages those they may have lost a match due to a trip in the early rounds.

Tripping is one of the only balanced things in Brawl, even though, ironically, it revolves around characters losing their balance : ]

There are also things like people not wanting to mod their Wii's, split opinions, etc.

At the very least, I won't be going to any such lengths any time soon.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No Tripping is great and all.

But it can never be Tourney Standard. Because we do not hack games in Competitive play. That's ridiculous. It's not like turning off items, which is an actual setting in the game. It's forcefully changing it. We're no longer playing the game we're dealt, we're playing a game we're making up. It's umpteen times worse than Stage Creator where we're creating new content using what the game gives us.

Here, we're changing the game itself to suit our views of what makes a good game. Here's a question:
Does Competitive Brawl need "No Tripping"? If it does, then it's obviously so broken we shouldn't even be playing it Competitively.

What's that? It doesn't need it? Then why turn it on?

And where do we stop? What's next, hacking out the various chaingrabs? Hacking out the various locks, including Sheik's F-tilt lock and Zamus' Dsmash lock? Followed by somehow fixing Snake's hitboxes and general BS? Then we'll fix Meta-Knight by giving him more lag followed by nerfing Game & Watch's Dair and Bair and various other moves. Next we'll nerf all of High Tier. Then let's hack out certain things about certain stages.

Maybe then we'll have the perfect game, after, you know, *******izing Brawl into something unrecognizable.

It's in the game. Deal with it. Or play another game. Hacking has never been allowed in serious Competitive play and it never will. It's ridiculous how things that were scoffed at and ridiculed back in Melee's days are now being seriously considered.

If anyone suggested using Action Replay to "fix" things in Melee, people would run them out of town. With Brawl, countless people are heralding the "No Tripping" code as The Big Fix that should be employed in tournaments now.

No, it won't be, it can't be. "Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!"

Disclaimer: I hate Tripping with a passion. I trip with a pretty high frequency. It's killed me several times, tripping me into charged Smashes or whatnot and at other times screwed up my edgeguards and whatever. I loathe Tripping with a passion of a thousand suns. But I still scoff at the idea using No Tripping in serious Competitive play.

So it's "obvious"? So it's gamebreaking? So it's so bad not removing it will render the game unplayable? Then why are you people playing it in the first place? Why did you play for months, just hoping for a fix for it? Also, Tripping is in no way the worst thing about Brawl. No, it is not. If we're patching out Tripping, then we have to patch out a lot of other things that are infinitely more broken.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And where do we stop? What's next, hacking out the various chaingrabs? Hacking out the various locks, including Sheik's F-tilt lock and Zamus' Dsmash lock? Followed by somehow fixing Snake's hitboxes and general BS? Then we'll fix Meta-Knight by giving him more lag followed by nerfing Game & Watch's Dair and Bair and various other moves. Next we'll nerf all of High Tier. Then let's hack out certain things about certain stages.
I don't know if it's just me, but I seriously doubt that any competitive player actually will promote changes to anything EXCEPT random tripping. Your slippery slope theory should be the least of your worries. Really.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Trippin has cost you many many more lives than you think.

Okay, so maybe, you've only tripped into a lethal attack once or twice in yoru lifetime. but how many times have you tried to rush in for an opportunity, trip, and then the opportunity is gone, then you end up losing the match?

I dunno. Yuna has a great point about hacking not being used for comp and the domino theory hacks, but tripping seriously sucks, and it would probably make the game much better if it didn't have it.

Also, I hear a lot about people don't like playin with items because of the random factor it brings to a match. Is tripping not a random factor in a match? Would you rather not have it? I'm just saying... a tripless Brawl would definitely be awesome.

Oh, and what's so balanced about tripping again?:confused:

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Because it's a horrible, immature design that only causes frustrations. It's like turning Items off, except now Tripping can be toggled off. Your argument doesn't relate to tournaments, themselves.

And where do we stop?
Tripping is a universal, random attribute to the game. A person who plays with tripping will not be changed or affected by playing the game without tripping in any way. If you start taking out course hazards, that could throw someone off because they're used to or expecting it. If you make changes to really bad concepts (chaingrabs, infinites), then you are drastically changing how a player plays their game.

It's in the game. Deal with it. Or play another game. Hacking has never been allowed in serious Competitive play and it never will. It's ridiculous how things that were scoffed at and ridiculed back in Melee's days are now being seriously considered.
"It's ridiculous" is not an explanation or logic. "Because that's how it has always been" is also not a valid argument - support your statements with logic and reasoning that makes common sense.

Just because it's hacking, doesn't mean it is bad if it is practical and doesn't change how a player plays in any way. Many people may not even pick up on the fact there was no tripping, and it wouldn't affect any character in how they are played or cause any change to the flow of the game.

Why did you play for months, just hoping for a fix for it? Also, Tripping is in no way the worst thing about Brawl. No, it is not. If we're patching out Tripping, then we have to patch out a lot of other things that are infinitely more broken.
1) Because we like Smash Bros. 2) Tripping is one of the worst things in Brawl because, unlike a glitch (advanced technique, for the forum goers), it was put in there by a man who has the prestige position of lead game design. As a gamer, I don't know what could be more soul crushing than that kind of negligence from the highest possible source. 3) If anything is outright banned, I don't see what difference a ban vs a hack would differentiate if they accomplish the exact same thing except with code over a referee.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
The "tripping" feature is on, Yuna, because the game was designed for casual players.

Someone said that using this code kill sakurai¨s vision of a fighting game.

The true is that this "vision" just fails.

For sakurai there is not 4º , 3º or 2º position. In brawl everyone is supposed to be 1º, in a game where you need to take your opponent out of the stage in order to achieve victory ? Come on.

Removing tripping removes those casual"" falls that eventually will get you in front of a charged smash or will gimp your edgeguard.

But, what you said aplies to the others changes regarding hitstun and gravity.

Even then, Im looking fowards those changes.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Wait...what about moves that cause tripping. Is that being took out too? If so, what about all those characters that use it as a strategy? There's definitley a competitive side to it. Unless the hack only removes the random running tripping.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord

But it can never be Tourney Standard. Because we do not hack games in Competitive play. That's ridiculous. It's not like turning off items, which is an actual setting in the game. It's forcefully changing it. We're no longer playing the game we're dealt, we're playing a game we're making up. It's umpteen times worse than Stage Creator where we're creating new content using what the game gives us.

Here, we're changing the game itself to suit our views of what makes a good game. Here's a question:
Does Competitive Brawl need "No Tripping"? If it does, then it's obviously so broken we shouldn't even be playing it Competitively.

Maybe then we'll have the perfect game, after, you know, *******izing Brawl into something unrecognizable.

If anyone suggested using Action Replay to "fix" things in Melee, people would run them out of town. With Brawl, countless people are heralding the "No Tripping" code as The Big Fix that should be employed in tournaments now.

No, it won't be, it can't be. "Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!"

Disclaimer: I hate Tripping with a passion. I trip with a pretty high frequency. It's killed me several times, tripping me into charged Smashes or whatnot and at other times screwed up my edgeguards and whatever. I loathe Tripping with a passion of a thousand suns. But I still scoff at the idea using No Tripping in serious Competitive play.

So it's "obvious"? So it's gamebreaking? So it's so bad not removing it will render the game unplayable? Then why are you people playing it in the first place? Why did you play for months, just hoping for a fix for it? Also, Tripping is in no way the worst thing about Brawl. No, it is not. If we're patching out Tripping, then we have to patch out a lot of other things that are infinitely more broken.
Gee Yuna, the hacks will not go that far...now how can I lock the minigames out of WarioWare...?

I don't know if it's just me, but I seriously doubt that any competitive player actually will promote changes to anything EXCEPT random tripping. Your slippery slope theory should be the least of your worries. Really.
I know it's not just me, but I seriously doubt everyone wants to hack their Wii.

Trippin has cost you many many more lives than you think.

Okay, so maybe, you've only tripped into a lethal attack once or twice in yoru lifetime. but how many times have you tried to rush in for an opportunity, trip, and then the opportunity is gone, then you end up losing the match?

I dunno. Yuna has a great point about hacking not being used for comp and the domino theory hacks, but tripping seriously sucks, and it would probably make the game much better if it didn't have it.

Also, I hear a lot about people don't like playin with items because of the random factor it brings to a match. Is tripping not a random factor in a match? Would you rather not have it? I'm just saying... a tripless Brawl would definitely be awesome.

Oh, and what's so balanced about tripping again?:confused:
Then you aren't good at the game...I think the game would be better if we didn't have hackers...it might be ok without it, but I can deal with tripping, it isn't hard to be good at the game without hacking it.

Because it's a horrible, immature design that only causes frustrations. It's like turning Items off, except now Tripping can be toggled off. Your argument doesn't relate to tournaments, themselves.

Tripping is a universal, random attribute to the game. A person who plays with tripping will not be changed or affected by playing the game without tripping in any way. If you start taking out course hazards, that could throw someone off because they're used to or expecting it. If you make changes to really bad concepts (chaingrabs, infinites), then you are drastically changing how a player plays their game.

"It's ridiculous" is not an explanation or logic. "Because that's how it has always been" is also not a valid argument - support your statements with logic and reasoning that makes common sense.

Just because it's hacking, doesn't mean it is bad if it is practical and doesn't change how a player plays in any way. Many people may not even pick up on the fact there was no tripping, and it wouldn't affect any character in how they are played or cause any change to the flow of the game.

1) Because we like Smash Bros. 2) Tripping is one of the worst things in Brawl because, unlike a glitch (advanced technique, for the forum goers), it was put in there by a man who has the prestige position of lead game design. As a gamer, I don't know what could be more soul crushing than that kind of negligence from the highest possible source. 3) If anything is outright banned, I don't see what difference a ban vs a hack would differentiate if they accomplish the exact same thing except with code over a referee.
You don't like Smash Bros., tripping is more laughing and getting up than whining in my house, dunno about you, well, one is about tamper with your product, invalidating the warranty, while banning is just a rule.

This video is a popular example of how utterly horrible tripping is.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Amq0KhRleDQ

While we may never know what exactly Captain Falcon was doing, he probably wasn't sheilding, it's unlikely he was going to dash attack, he was probably going to up smash, but, he would have been down aired anyway in about the same position, watch the video, when does the down air come out, yeah, same instant as the trip, I doubt the Fox player knew the CF user was even tripping until he had already entered the input.
My take, find a better video, Captain Falcon was going to be down aired no matter what.

Revven

FrankerZ
well i would be happy if it was truly out
It is... God, do you people ever read where the source material comes from? It's only linked to in the first post. -_-;

You don't like Smash Bros., tripping is more laughing and getting up than whining in my house, dunno about you, well, one is about tamper with your product, invalidating the warranty, while banning is just a rule.
Well, if you're scared about 'ruining' your Wii by all means don't get it. But, you can do a whole lot more with the channel than just remove tripping and a whole lot more with Ocarina than just removing tripping (I believe you've already seen a lot of the codes in GBD in that one topic). Besides, I really don't believe that the HBC can brick your Wii, it's really easy to install and doesn't do any harm to your Wii. It took me only 30 minutes (first time installing it, second time would be much shorter) to get through the installation and you don't go inside your Wii to do anything at all.

You're not really 'tampering' with anything until you open up your console. And, what's more, Nintendo doesn't even know more about the Wii than the modders do. bushing (main guy being Twilight Hack) knew a HUGE problem about the Wii that Nintendo didn't that would allow back ups (burned copies of games) to be used without needing a modchip. He tried to get in contact with Nintendo to have their engineers look at it and fix it for future Wiis but, to no avail, Nintendo ignored him. IIRC, he didn't release it, however he did say that some people were getting closer to finding it.

With that in mind, it makes you wonder if Nintendo would even know how to get rid of the HBC when all it is is just a channel that boots applications from your SD Card and allows use of them through Gamecube mode. It's not going to brick your Wii, unless you really want it to and open up your Wii.

But, if you're too scared of letting your Wii have a simple foreign channel installed, that's fine nobody is forcing you into it. The risks are much lower than you think... and I don't have to worry about my warranty because I got mine in 2006, way past the whole warranty business.

Edit: At worse, your Brawl save could get corrupted from using certain codes (though if you just use no tripping, this won't happen). But, there's solutions to fixing it, such as codes that fix the problems that was caused by certain codes (music fixers, some times stages remain unplayable because of a certain code and the only way to fix it is to reset the music with the music fixer codes). Or you can back up your save file with the application Savegame Extractor and reinstall it back in with the Savegame Installer (my preferred solution, it's really quick and you can choose to back up your save frequently). Right now, Brawl is the only save that can get corrupted from using codes and that's because it's the stage builder codes.

Crow!

Smash Lord
A hack shouldn't be a requirement for a tournament, but something which obviously improves the game such as this should be legal for a tournament director to hold, given the resources to give it to all Wiis at the tournament.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Ok, I got a great idea, a sort of common ground, in a tournament setting, the Tournament organizer, if allowing a modded version of Brawl to be used, can not encourage that someone mod their Wii also, but they can ask for a witness to their match if they think tripping will be an issue, and may let their players have a rematch if they call tripping interference(with the witnesses approval).
Also, I am mostly sure, you start up Brawl through a different channel if you're using a modification, right?

Edit: 1000 posts already??? I didn't even notice until I went to a different thread and saw one of my old replies. I am now Smash Lord(head begins to swell lol)!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wait...what about moves that cause tripping. Is that being took out too? If so, what about all those characters that use it as a strategy? There's definitley a competitive side to it. Unless the hack only removes the random running tripping.
Last time I let this slide. I'm going to chuck rocks at the next foo' to ask this.

Revven

FrankerZ
Ok, I got a great idea, a sort of common ground, in a tournament setting, the Tournament organizer, if allowing a modded version of Brawl to be used, can not encourage that someone mod their Wii also, but they can ask for a witness to their match if they think tripping will be an issue, and may let their players have a rematch if they call tripping interference(with the witnesses approval).
Also, I am mostly sure, you start up Brawl through a different channel if you're using a modification, right?
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for matches that aren't finals or anything. For finals, if anybody has brought a tripless Brawl with them they can use that Wii for the finals.

Yes, you would have to if you wanted no tripping, it'd be a hassle to play the match with tripping on and if someone tripped into an attack and it was a tripping interference then you'd have to a). switch Wiis if the Wii lacks the HBC and Ocarina which would take a fair amount of time or b). restart the Wii, go into HBC and then go into Ocarina with the code on. Which is why if you're going to use no tripping that you may as well just use it for the entire tournament or for the important matches, i.e semi-finals/finals.

BEES

Smash Lord

Someone's never heard of DOTA. Or Spring. Or Mugen.

This may surprise you Yuna, but some people like Brawl, despite its faults, and they would like it just a little bit more if tripping were taken out. About 99% of the competitive community for the game would be in agreement on this.

Don't expect anyone to listen to you. There is no way to make you happy. If we leave tripping in, you'll complain. If we take tripping out, you'll complain. You'll complain because you are at odds with the rest of the community, who want to move on. They want something to look forward to. They want a new Smash Bros. Sakurai won't deliver, so it's up to ourselves to make it happen. The smallest violin in the universe plays for you.

And if someone ever hacked Melee to make it playable online, causing more people to play it, would you reject it because of the hack? I wouldn't feel guilty about playing that at all.

M.K

Level 55
Someone's never heard of DOTA. Or Spring. Or Mugen.

This may surprise you Yuna, but some people like Brawl, despite its faults, and they would like it just a little bit more if tripping were taken out. About 99% of the competitive community for the game would be in agreement on this.

Don't expect anyone to listen to you. There is no way to make you happy. If we leave tripping in, you'll complain. If we take tripping out, you'll complain. You'll complain because you are at odds with the rest of the community, who want to move on. They want something to look forward to. They want a new Smash Bros. Sakurai won't deliver, so it's up to ourselves to make it happen. The smallest violin in the universe plays for you.

And if someone ever hacked Melee to make it playable online, causing more people to play it, would you reject it because of the hack? I wouldn't feel guilty about playing that at all.
You just took on Yuna by telling him that we won't listen to him BECAUSE he gives valid reasons for this argument against the code.
Great job failing, you made yourself look SO stupid right there.

BEES

Smash Lord
You just took on Yuna by telling him that we won't listen to him BECAUSE he gives valid reasons for this argument against the code.
Great job failing, you made yourself look SO stupid right there.
Yuna used to be a very rational, interesting poster. I had a universe of respect for him, and he just lost it.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
This video is a popular example of how utterly horrible tripping is.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Amq0KhRleDQ

While we may never know what exactly Captain Falcon was doing, he probably wasn't sheilding, it's unlikely he was going to dash attack, he was probably going to up smash, but, he would have been down aired anyway in about the same position, watch the video, when does the down air come out, yeah, same instant as the trip, I doubt the Fox player knew the CF user was even tripping until he had already entered the input.
My take, find a better video, Captain Falcon was going to be down aired no matter what.
POOR attempt to descredit that video.

Falcon could've
1. ran to use an aerial
2. Shielded/Sidestep
3. Up-Smash
4. Just dash a short distance.
5. Just walked forward.

IMO, 3 (what you suggested) is the least likely. But because he pressed forward, he was subjected to Falcon's awful trip (which goes farther then all those alternatives).

Try again. This video is still good evidence of how badly tripping could maim you.

Revven

FrankerZ
if you need to hack a game to make it better...maybe you should not be playing it.
or... I just want to get rid of a nuisance that's useless to me anyway. It is making the game better, but, only slightly and that slight change happens to be good enough for me to play it even more. I already play Brawl and have been for the past 5 months since it released putting up with tripping, I think I've had enough of the trip johns to be honest.

Look, this isn't hit stun, this isn't character balancing, it's freaking tripping. WHY is everybody defending it as though it's the holy grail? As though it's an ancient relic that needs to be cherished because of how old it is and that we can't part without it? Tripping hasn't done anything good for you or me or the hobo down the street. When you trip in real life, do you like it? Do you get back up and say "Well, I'll just approach again." No, you feel pain and may complain about it. It's the same case here, except it's in a game, and it's tripping which can happen in real life too... and... it's not good in both cases.

The only ill part that I see people have a problem with is that it's a code... all the code does it edit the memory, it's exactly what a patch would do except it's in our control. What is the big deal in using it for finals in tournaments? Or using it in general? It's not blasphemous.

§leepy God

Smash Master
At least it's not the should Master Hand code be in a tournament...... anywho, putting the code in the game is great in all, but to make it a tournament is kind of out of the picture. Never I seen a console tournaments' to go this far with putting codes in and make it an official tournament due to any code only, (maybe underground tournaments but not local tournaments).

BEES

Smash Lord
Suppose SSB4 was released. It was a perfect game. Well-balanced, lots of depth. More depth than any previous Smash Bros. game. But there was no option to play with items off.

Someone releases a hack for it.

In the name of science, tournaments try it. Everyone seemed to agree unanimously that it was a worthwhile game to play competitively, with the hack. It turns out to be a great success.

Is there anything wrong with this in any way?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ok, aside from the fact that this entire discussion is ********, because you don't hack games to make them more viable...

This isn't feasible.

Assuming a potential Wii setup was bought just for Smash, they also need to buy a Gecko, Twilight Princess, and then hack their Wiis.

$150 + Voiding warranty + Just for no tripping = Stupid. I'll just play Melee if it ever comes to this.

JCav

Smash Lord
in addition to this thread about it, why doesnt a mod host a poll , give it x amount of time and go from there.

fairest way to do it.

now retort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom