• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the IL and WI State Power Rankings be combined?

Wafles

Smash Lord
Basically here's what's been going on. Wisconsin doesn't really care about it's state Power Rankings, some of us just don't care, while some of us just think WI is too small of a community for it to even matter. We have something like 15-20 active smashers, and diving them into top 10 with a few honorable mentions just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

So Corms brought up the idea of combining the Power Rankings for IL, and WI, since we all seem to go to the same tournaments anyway.

I know some might not like the sound of this, but I think at this point, combining IL/WI for power rankings might be a plausible idea since lately there are hardly any tournaments where only one of the two states exclusively attend (smashfests don't count guys). We can possibly make a top 15 or something (or keep it at 10 cause 15 seems like a lot). But I think it'll increase the overall competitiveness of the two states and it'll solve WI's power rankings issue. (I actually don't know the whole story, is it scrapped for good?)

I haven't really thought this through all the way and it just happened to come across my mind, but I'd like to hear some opinions. It seems like it can work, but at the same time, these aren't small states.

So yes, thoughts?
I like this idea, and maybe a few of you do too. So this topic has two purposes, to decide if we even want this, and to pick panelists if we do.

So just respond as to whether or not you like this idea, since I can't figure out how to make a poll, I'll just keep a running total in this post. If you don't care, that's fine.

Combine the Power Rankings?:
Yes:
No: 4
I don't care: 0

Marker so I dont forget who's vote I counted last: #13

Lokeloki

Smash Apprentice
you could make one including the 2, but as a default I would say they should not be together. I cast my vote as no.

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
someone has a name you know, anyway i'd like to see what people think first...mainly IL people since they haven't said anything

ook

Smash Lord
The only problem I see is a similar problem that the IL PR already has - the southern/central IL players (Chewyy Ripple & Zozefup, and somewhat BC and Deez although they come to chicago more) don't go to the same tournaments. For some reason they just don't come up north, so the only times we get to play them is when chicago travels downstate or out of state.

It's hard enough to determine rankings when half the players have only played each other once or twice. And almost all the WI players have NEVER played them, understandably.

Sometimes it's easy to forget, but there is more to IL than just Chicago. Even if they are a bunch of losers because they never come to visit

but I vote yes anyway cause it would be awesome. And it makes sense.

Wafles

Smash Lord
lol sorry Corms, =)

Also lol @ kennispam voting no only because he doesn't think he'd be in the top 10.

Consider it motivation to get better

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I vote yes. I think it's a cool idea! And if southern IL doesn't exactly like the idea, you guys could do a WI/IL PR and an IL as a state itself PR. Just mentioning. LOL. I'm surprised there isn't a "Midwest" PR. Or maybe there is and I just don't know about it.

Arty

Smash Lord
I vote a definitive no.

If you guys decide to go through with this idea, I vote the panelists should be Wafles, RedRyu, Chewyy, Quik, Ook, Kirk, and Corms

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
I have 0.00% chance of making top 10 on this. To the contrary, wafles, i would lose a great deal of motivation if this ever came to fruition.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I can see the problem with the IL Players who don't travel, but hopefully having a variety of IL panelists could help clear that up.

I have 0.00% chance of making top 10 on this. To the contrary, wafles, i would lose a great deal of motivation if this ever came to fruition.
Compared to no PR? But whatever I wont push it, a vote's a vote, even if I don't like the reasoning behind it =)

Arty

Smash Lord
I just made quick top 10 list, and man it's going to be hard to make that list. :psycho:

Edit: What good points lol, I didn't make any points

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I can see the problem with the IL Players who don't travel, but hopefully having a variety of IL panelists could help clear that up.
You don't understand. I'm from southern IL and I travel to lots of tournaments. But I am 7 HOURS away from chicago! IL is already a very large land area and it's already hard for us to compare skill levels.

Wafles

Smash Lord
those are some good points.
:psycho:

You don't understand. I'm from southern IL and I travel to lots of tournaments. But I am 7 HOURS away from chicago! IL is already a very large land area and it's already hard for us to compare skill levels.
7 hours? Where are you from? I went to google maps and dragged around a marker on a route to chicago and couldn't find a location with an estimated travel time higher than 6 hours, and I had to be pretty creative to find that. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious. =p

Either way, before any real decision is made obviously we're going to wait to here from a lot more people than we have now.

Quik17

Smash Ace
I vote no. It's already hard for Illinois to rank their players (although hopefully that will change with the upcoming Indiana tournament), no need to make it even harder.

yoshq

Smash Master
I vote no, just as a comparison to put everything in perspective, there are approx. 344 AIB members from WI and 2,571 from IL. IL already has enough people for its own PR; if WI was on it then 1. we would barely make it on there, and 2. it wouldn't show any of WI's skill to have like 2 people down at #8 and #10 from WI just as tiny paste ons to the IL PR.

hunger!

Smash Champion
I vote no, just as a comparison to put everything in perspective, there are approx. 344 AIB members from WI and 2,571 from IL. IL already has enough people for its own PR; if WI was on it then 1. we would barely make it on there, and 2. it wouldn't show any of WI's skill to have like 2 people down at #8 and #10 from WI just as tiny paste ons to the IL PR.
i know what the list would be like. but i wont say. PR talk is dumb imo. so ill just stay out of this.

Xyless

Smash Master
I think you're underrating Wisconsin.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Actually I'm pretty sure WI would have at least 2 people in the top 5, and at least 2 or 3 more after that.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
regardless if you guys vote yes or no, after the february's tournament i'm having a M.A.S Master's Challenge where you're all going to be rank til December next year, where there's going to be an INCREDIBLE CASH BONUS for the top three placers.

details coming soon...

also I VOTE YES!!! simply because I like the idea of uniting communities and see how everyone stacks up amongst each other. and WE ALL DO PLAY EACH OTHER A LIL TOO OFTEN, which is a great thing. so there is no reason why this wouldn't work...

but like I said, it's going to happen regardless as far as I am concerned.

:D

Wafles

Smash Lord
Webster, talk to me on AIM about that, I have something that will help.

well to say that WI sucks wasn't the point of my post, it was more to compare the number 344 to 2,571.
We have a better ratio of active tournament goers, then.
Also it's AIB, AIB doesn't matter when it comes to offline tournament power rankings.

Quaz

Smash Master
Kennispam quit doubting yourself. Why do you want it to be easy to be on the PR?

just be positive and try to improve and you eventually will.

anyways I have nothing against this so I vote yes.

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it'd be nice if we had over 2000 active players in IL...unfortunately only like 20ish show up consistently to things!

It's interesting though, the votes seem kinda even right now though I didn't actively count them.

Wafles

Smash Lord
lolArty

I honestly think, if anything, IL has 5-10 more active tournament players than WI does.

So many IL smashers just don't go to tournaments very often

Arty

Smash Lord
If we're going to take this seriously we can't count everyones votes. Why is Quaz voting??

Edit: If there were more tournies in the Chicago/South side, then IL's scene would be huge!

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anything is finalized yet, Arty. It's just to see who would else is interested in the idea or reasons why this shouldn't happen. Having a poll just keeps things organized.

Quaz

Smash Master
Why couldn't I vote on this? Just because I don't play brawl anymore doesnt mean I have no idea how brawl tourneys work. I used to play a lot of brawl and I also think the fact that I play a lot of competitive melee today means I have an idea.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I don't think anything is finalized yet, Arty. It's just to see who would else is interested in the idea or reasons why this shouldn't happen. Having a poll just keeps things organized.
Righto, main point of this topic was to get some more varied opinions out in the open, and we can move on from there.

Arty

Smash Lord
@ Quaz: You can vote all you want. Anyone can vote. But if we're actually going to use these votes to determine this than you're vote shouldn't hold much weight, since you don't play brawl, and you know very little about the IL community.

@ Ryu: Idk about that. If we up the PR to like 20, then mind as well have a seperate WI and IL PR

Top Bottom