• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should we be satisfied?

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Alright, well...

I've been giving this a lot of thought. I've gotten many opinions from other players that look at the outside aspect of Peach. A really big amount of players think she's bad.

Is she tournament viable?

That's something you'd have to ask many other players that go and actually place with her in tournament. In my opinion, I think Peach is very tournament viable.

People can easily argue with this and toss the whole argument aside with the whole, "Ugh, Peach can't kill for ****. Who cares if she can rack up damage."

I sort of think that we've all been going about Peach the wrong way, and we can do a lot better if we can take the aspect of "Getting the kill" and turn it into "Keeping our stock."

No, this isn't a time out thread. I, myself wouldn't go for a time out but this new aspect of Peach could end up leading into a few depending on the match up.

"Peach's defensive game is very good."

What exactly do most people mean by her defensive game? Camping of course. I'm gonna have to say it's good to an extent if you revolve it around camping. It's something you need to be VERY careful with. A lot of the time, most Peach players will take the defensive game aspect and turn it into, "All I have to do is camp on auto pilot. If I spam turnips and glide toss away at all time I'll be really irritating."

No. That's not what Peach's defensive game is about. Peach's defensive game doesn't have to revolve around camping at all. What we usually see in Peach's moves are some really nice hit boxes. What we're not doing is being creative with them.

Lets take Peach's most generically spammed move.

DAIR.

Dair has some really damn good hit boxes and can combo pretty easily at low percents. But the second I say COMBO people assume it's probably used aggressively and that you're above your opponents head constantly spamming it in hopes of getting a hit in.

Some things I've started to do with this move are quite different from what Peach mains usually do.

What I've done is instead of being aggressive with it, I use it as part of my main defensive game.

Retreating Dair can be one of the most ANNOYING things to have to deal with, especially at head level.

Retreating Dair
Hard to approach with counter active ground game
Hard to approach with counter active air game
Lingering Hit box of Dair can easily be used as anti approach option.

Already, Dair has become one of the most defensive moves in her game, just because I decided to float backwards while I used it. I know that characters in the cast have things to get around this, but that's what Peach's other moves are for. I still haven't seen a move that Peach can't do **** about. She can fend off pretty much anything.

What I'm trying to say is that Peach's pressure game is amazing. It's so good you don't even need to be aggressive with it to bring it to it's full potential. It's not just good. It's ****. Peach doesn't have to go for the kill 24/7 and constantly try to force the stock off of her opponent. She can easily use her already high priority moves to keep the opponent approaching. When you do that, the opponent becomes limited to safe options which allows Peach big openings for stocks.

I'll get more into this later, only if Air allows me to keep this thread open.

Please, Air. I feel that this thread can help a lot. It's something that needs to stick out. It needs it's own thread and I don't want to have this discussion completely dismissed due to stupid trolling. If it has it's own place, we will end up revisiting it.

I have a lot to say and I want for it to be read.

:peach:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
im printing this out and taking it to whobo 3.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Pretty much being patient and staying safe comes along way. You get the chance of getting a broken item from Down-B, and her damage racking ability is good enough to keep a lead or trying to gain it.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
The longer that you survive, the more openings you will see through camping and playing defensively.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Thanks everyone.

Now I just want a post response to know if I can keep on with this. I have a LOT more to go with this, and it'll take me a while. I rather not write a years worth of stuff just for the thread to be closed. lol

Xyless

Smash Master
I'm never satisfied, but at this point, I've pretty much given up on caring. So I guess in that regard, I'm "satisfied" because I have no desire to really grow.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I like what has been stated. I continue to play defensive and it continues to serve me well. Though I think it is best if we actually hear different opinions as to why they think she is bad and at what points? Seems like the trend of people thinking the character is bad but yet nobody states how they play so we can cover that gap in detail.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I find this a good thread but I don't agree with this aggressive/defensive talk because IMO you constantly should be switching between them, dependent on the situation and the options/decisions of your opponent. That's one of the main reasons why Peach isn't easy to use, you should be adapting and thus adjusting yourself continously: you can't just play in one style.

:053:

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I find this a good thread but I don't agree with this aggressive/defensive talk because IMO you constantly should be switching between them, dependent on the situation and the options/decisions of your opponent. That's one of the main reasons why Peach isn't easy to use, you should be adapting and thus adjusting yourself continously: you can't just play in one style.

:053:
Exactly what I'm going to get to.

The problem is that most players don't know when to transition themselves from defensive to aggressive.

I totally agree there are times where we SHOULD be aggressive because it gets us that percent lead, or stock. That's another reason why this thread is here. It's gonna help Peach mains learn when being aggressive and defensive is affective in a certain time in battle.

I'm actually pretty excited about it. :3
Also, like I stated above, we shouldn't be trying to force a stock, EVER. Being aggressive for us Peach mains should mean to apply good amounts of pressure to keep your opponent on the move ONLY when you know they can't exactly counter attack.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You link me to this thread. But I am not in the mood for another fight cause of my opinion. I'm sitting this out.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I linked all Peach mains I had on facebook. lol

And, no I'm not looking for a fight. When did we even have one prior?

Anyway, I just find it important and I need other Peach mains to read this including you. I find it really important and it can help us all a great deal.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
if I speak on this matter, a fight will break out cause people can't handle my opinion. And getting tired of it. So I am not gonna be apart of it. You have enough Peach players anyway.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, I'm very open to opinion, Dark.

I really want yours on this matter. You don't even have to post it. You can PM it to me, so maybe I can add to my thread and strengthen my point on the importance of a defensive game. What moves do you use and in what situations. Things like that.

I don't want anyone excluded from this. It's very important to me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You could've always just read it and just not bothered posting at all rather than passively shifting the blame to everyone who gets into a fight with you. :)

For future reference, anyway, since the opportunity is already ruined for this thread.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You could've always just read it and just not bothered posting at all rather than passively shifting the blame to everyone who gets into a fight with you. :)

For future reference, anyway, since the opportunity is already ruined for this thread.

And this is why I can't say I can say anything around here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm just being practical, 'ze. As you said yourself, people won't be fighting with you if you don't talk. So if'n you don't want any hate, obviously not posting at all is the optimal plan. Either way, posting just to say "I'm not going to be posting in here" certainly does not help anybody.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Are we really gonna make this about me? I get hate no matter what I do, good or bad. All I said is I am not gonna get in this. No big deal. let it go before others wanna join in and this thread goes to hell. It's DONE.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Kay I'll put this back on topic BEFORE it gets closed.

Every time I see a Peach come close to winning the match and then getting KO'd by something dumb(say snake's utilt) makes me frown. Means that you weren't playing safe 100% and when you think about it, it's pretty dumb. Whenever your % is lower than the opponent even by one point that's when you need to just stop approaching and focus on fishing out mistakes.

Start camping, don't approach unless you see a pattern to exploit, or opening, etc. When you see those two things that's when you can go aggro. So much easier to wait for something than trying to force it; otherwise you tried forcing to get damage, however mess up, then you get killed possibly, now you've made it harder to catch up. Landing the kill will come in time.

And guys, work with me please? I'm just trying to contribute :V

¿Qué?

Smash Champion

Every time I see a Peach come close to winning the match and then getting KO'd by something dumb(say snake's utilt) makes me frown. Means that you weren't playing safe 100% and when you think about it, it's pretty dumb. Whenever your % is lower than the opponent even by one point that's when you need to just stop approaching and focus on fishing out mistakes.

Start camping, don't approach unless you see a pattern to exploit, or opening, etc. When you see those two things that's when you can go aggro. So much easier to wait for something than trying to force it; otherwise you tried forcing to get damage, however mess up, then you get killed possibly, now you've made it harder to catch up. Landing the kill will come in time.

That's exactly what this thread is going to be all about.

Yeah, I'm gonna go all out on this.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman

This. The main thing is u just can't get frustrated or greedy. Peach can get a percent lead VERY easily with her early percent ****. Capitalize on it and abuse reverse glide tossing once you get that percent lead. Peach also has her great OOS options like nair and bair. And u might get a lucky kill since they are fairly strong. Peach is by no means bad. She can be a very strong aggressive threat and a solid defensive character too. People are just saying she is bad because she has had no results. There is so much hate going on about her matchups on that matchup thread too for the same reason.

Btw good luck WHOBO Peaches!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think that's a common occurrence when you're trying to keep the momentum, though. Do you try to keep building on the pressure of the last attack you landed unpunished, or do you step back the moment nothing's guaranteed and let the situation reset right back to neutral? In the case of playing against Snake, I'm not sure trying to hang back and wait for a guaranteed in is the best plan...

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I think that's a common occurrence when you're trying to keep the momentum, though. Do you try to keep building on the pressure of the last attack you landed unpunished, or do you step back the moment nothing's guaranteed and let the situation reset right back to neutral? In the case of playing against Snake, I'm not sure trying to hang back and wait for a guaranteed in is the best plan...
There are different strategies for different characters.

Yeah it's a common occurrence, but a lot of players don't know how to do it safely. That's the problem. You keep momentum with successful reads and hits, but when it comes down to you choosing unsafe options, you can get harshly punished for it. Then what you were trying to avoid through out the match happens anyway.

What I usually always see is that when it comes down to a last stock, we end up trying to rush it since they're at kill percent, which in turn makes us screw up and die. Patience will out do anyone at kill percent on their last stock.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Better off waiting, avoiding, and pulling a stitch or something useful if I can, rather than messing it up completely. If I have the lead I would like to keep it. Since it's very hard to get as Peach stock I'd run the timer while chipping damage away from the opponent if possible.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I tried out retreating SH dair today when I was playing with my friend, and it was working really well actually. I never really thought about using it defensively until I read this thread. So this really helped me. Thanks. :)

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Ive been thinking about this for a while. Peach is so fun to play aggro but I find it getting me killed when I start going overboard. I also remember reading Dark mentioning how he has yet to see a Peach that knows when to go in and when to stay defensive (Llod I believe he said was the closest to it. PLEASE no one give Dark any crap. :( ) Personally I can see it being hard to get the hang of, knowing when to go in and when to stay on the defensive, just cause of how good it feels to be in control and styling on your opponent and how good it feels to see that lead being on your side. Plus Peach being so floaty and dying early makes us (or at least me) want that lead badly and be able to keep it (and make it greater)

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Ive been thinking about this for a while. Peach is so fun to play aggro but I find it getting me killed when I start going overboard. I also remember reading Dark mentioning how he has yet to see a Peach that knows when to go in and when to stay defensive (Llod I believe he said was the closest to it. PLEASE no one give Dark any crap. :( ) Personally I can see it being hard to get the hang of, knowing when to go in and when to stay on the defensive, just cause of how good it feels to be in control and styling on your opponent and how good it feels to see that lead being on your side. Plus Peach being so floaty and dying early makes us (or at least me) want that lead badly and be able to keep it (and make it greater)
Well, I'm just gonna say that I think that's a bunch of crap. Dark hasn't seen all of the Peaches play to be able to make a conclusion like that. I love Dark to death, but sometimes he says things that are BS.

Peach can gain a percent lead very easily without having to be aggro. I don't remember where I stated it before(I'm sure it was the tactical discussion), but I mentioned how Peach can rack up damage almost as quickly as going aggro if she's being played defensive/ counter actively/ anit- meta game. Her moves do so much damage, and they have good hit boxes so carefully placing moves can not only rack up damage well, but at the same time it'll keep kill moves fresh for lower percents.

Oh, and yes welcome to the Peach Boards! Please feel free to add to any drama, or pull up a chair and enjoy the fights unravel here. :)

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman

Peach can gain a percent lead very easily without having to be aggro. I don't remember where I stated it before(I'm sure it was the tactical discussion), but I mentioned how Peach can rack up damage almost as quickly as going aggro if she's being played defensive/ counter actively/ anit- meta game. Her moves do so much damage, and they have good hit boxes so carefully placing moves can not only rack up damage well, but at the same time it'll keep kill moves fresh for lower percents.

Oh, and yes welcome to the Peach Boards! Please feel free to add to any drama, or pull up a chair and enjoy the fights unravel here. :)

Why thank you , I think I'll find myself a chair then , me no like being in any drama I can avoid unless I can help end it quickly (and hopefully a more cheerful end for all) xD;
And I can definitely see that with her Dair , Utilt, and various other moves having very nice hitboxes without too much lag afterwards. Be a B**** to make them your B**** :D

Top Bottom