• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should you be able to look at your opponent's controller or yell loudly to gain an advantage?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yelling during a game to distract your opponent should be followed immediately by a disqualification of, or at least a warning to, the offending party in any reasonable tournament. It should not be allowed for the same reason that it is not allowed to block your opponent's view of the screen, unplug his controller or punch him in the face. It's poor sportsmanship and is beyond the scope of competition as defined by the game itself.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Mew2King. Do the Daigo: Get a piece of cardboard and put it between you and your opponent during the match so they can't do that.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Sometimes when watching others play and I can't see the ports that are plugged in to tell who is what character so I listen to the sounds of their controller. When you listen you can hear when they smack the stick or hit L/R. I don't do it when I play since I'm paying more attention to actually playing, but I imagine it would be possible to listen to what they're doing to gain an advantage. Obviously this wouldn't work in a tournament though.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Just do what King of Fighters 13s community does if looking at controllers is an issue. They did this at every EVO with no issue

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
1. Honestly you go ahead and try it it's not that easy to REACT to someone's finger WHILE you're focusing in the game at the same time. Perhaps you should do what you've been doing and this is : pressing tons of buttons at the same time but pressing the one you want at last moment, be smart.

2/3. dc

daz y i r smartest player or so, i find solutions or abuse situations if I can to win.

Niko_K

Smash Master
M2K stop playing dumb you obviously know how many tournaments the MikeHaze rule was actually in effect at. I think we as a community should seriously respect the noise levels and I'd even go as far as to say that chanting is immature and unwarranted.

Looking at your opponents DI will put you at a disadvantage regarding movement and optimal frame occupation as you will execute things later naturally. Also what are you gonna do if your opponent decides they want to put a shirt up? You can't argue with that so there's your answer as to how that would progress when you look at the future possibilities of yes vs no.

I'm pretty sure you can answer these questions all yourself instead of trying to superficially create a moment where the community unofficially allows something as ridiculous as yelling because you baited an answer from the entire community as if you're actually this unintelligent to not produce a viable answer for yourself.

If anyone yelled loudly during my matches purposely I would drag their nerdy puny little ass outside and beat the shahit out of them.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Sure, if someone wants to look at my controller, by all means let them. I will be looking at the screen and pwning in the meantime. Yelling on the other hand, is just ****** and stupid.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I've got one for you guys that kinda walks the line. When I mash to get out of a grab I do it aggressively enough to be a tad distracting... Now is that acceptable?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
On the grab release thing
If they mash out shouldn't they air-release, so the window is much tighter than 29 frames, as well as your opponent being able to mess up the timing (and you can't react to it)?

It seems like something not actually possible to pull off in a game.

Hax

Smash Champion
and, if you're allowed to do this, are you allowed to yell to mess ice climber chain grabs up?

for specific examples, i know that within the past year, ive had ally/vinnie look at my DI before on tech chases or grabs, and i know hbox has done this to drpp in the comments of the zenith 2013 videos (correct me if im wrong?) so that's 3 different instance in both games all to gain an advantage. that pretty much makes it a guaranteed follow up, or much easier than otherwise which I think can be a bit dumb. I know MANY other players that have done this though, so don't think I'm only talking about them, but many players use this tactic of looking at the other person's controller for DI and such.
technically this should be banned because the goal should be to test ability to play the game and nothing else. in a perfect world, the 2 people playing would literally be in 2 separate soundproof chambers, each with its own TV screen, so that no artificial factors (like looking at someone's controller, or hearing his buttons being pressed, or hearing the crowd) could possibly interfere. unfortunately, the ban on controller-looking is nearly impossible to enforce, and the ban on listening to buttons is completely impossible. it's interesting cause I know the 2nd one comes into play a lot; it's pretty normal for people to listen to the sounds the other player's controller makes when you're techchasing them and they're lying on the floor.

Mew2King said:
the 2nd question i have is should it be okay to yell to mess up ice climber chain grabs? I know that once when mikehaze and hylian fought before (marth vs ICs), he yelled really loudly so that it was harder to chain grab. Then there was a rule in effect "the mikehaze rule" where you are not allowed to do that. So about a year ago (actually less) I know that when vinnie went to cali (around vinnie's prime also; late 2012) mikehaze has put his hands up in the air to signal to the crowd to yell and mess up the chain grab. It worked. Apparantly vinnie couldn't concentrate to his best ability and he dropped grabs and ended up losing games he may not have lost otherwise due to this. I often consider doing this but I never do because it feels like cheating, but if the community votes that it should be okay, then I will start to do this in the future.
hell no, this needs to be banned. pretty loserish that someone even did this in the first place imo

Mew2King said:
The 3rd one needs to be banned no matter what. It literally takes no skill, a 5 year old kid can do this consistently with no practice ... and if you're on the same stock as them you have a guaranteed win.
rare footage of M2K revealing the truth about Sheik and Jiggs planking vs Captain Falcon

Europhoria

Smash Lord
in a perfect world, the 2 people playing would literally be in 2 separate soundproof chambers, each with its own TV screen, so that no artificial factors (like looking at someone's controller, or hearing his buttons being pressed, or hearing the crowd) could possibly interfere.
Did a captain falcon main from new york actually just post this? bite the hand that feeds you moar

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
If you are in a chain grab, couldn't you SDI out of it? I used DSSDI, and I am asking this because it could save your controller's life from future button mashing.

Church NEOH

Worst Player in NEOH
I think yelling to a certain degree/ in moderation should be allowed. People have different methods of pumping themselves up in a match. Same thing goes for celebration in football. If you make an awesome play, you should be allowed to pump yourself up more. When you start insulting your opponent by making fun or trash talking, that's when you've gone too far. My 2 cents.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Can't you just tell a joke and the other person laughs, causing them to mess up. I only tried this once and the guy got seriously PO'd from that.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I look at people's controllers when playing them after I grab them. There is nothing wrong with that. If a person has enough time to look away from the screen to stare at your controller then you're clearly not mashing fast enough lmao.

Yelling during a :popo: cg is in bad taste. A person shouldn't be harming someone physically (By hurting their ears) in any tournament setting.

:018:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
A tournament scene that doesn't allow Ed and NickRiddle's laughter is not a tournament scene we should aspire to be.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
I think it comes down to honor, respect, and integrity. Character of course comes into play.

It will not be the same for any two players, so what can be decided should be decided between them. Loud shouting/screaming is just a natural thing that will come from crowds. Purposefully yelling during a chaingrab is just bad taste. Looking at someone's controller also seems like a cheap tactic. This is my personal opinion.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If it is cheap people will do it
For the loudness one, wear noise cancelling headphones for the 3rd if it results in excessive stalling then yes

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Here's my two cents on the yelling debate.
There's no way that the player himself should ever be yelling to distract his opponent. I find that to be pretty immature.
On the other hand, I don't mind (and even encourage) the crowd yelling and cheering at critical parts in a match, whether it be chaingrabs or whatnot. Well as long as they crowd isn't being stupid crazy like yelling death threats and such. I see it the exact same way I see sports. When sports teams have to travel, one of the biggest obstacles is the crowd. That's half the fun! It's just like during free throws at a basketball game, especially college bball. The crowd doesn't sit there when the opposing team is shooting free throws! They're yelling and screaming til they're red in the face. They have hilarious giant cardboard heads of famous celebrities or athletes and the such trying to distract the shooter. They're trying to help their favorite team win! If you are at a large tournament like Evo, I see nothing wrong with trying to get the crowd riled up against or for certain players. So work to get that crowd pumped up in your favor! They might just be the oomph you need to get through to the next round. But if it's like a 6 man tournament, then that's a little absurd.

And maybe I'm just crazy, but playing a game/sport when everyone is pulling against you and yelling at you is an absolute blast.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Can't you just tell a joke and the other person laughs, causing them to mess up. I only tried this once and the guy got seriously PO'd from that.
Sometimes I'm saying dumb **** in the venue at other spectators and illnotice V115 eavesdropping and laughing during his match. Maybe I'm just loud

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
every time I'm looking through this board I look at this title without any context whatsoever and I end up giggling forever

we need to realize the legal status of being a jerk. what is the legality of farting very loudly in your opponent's face while they're doing an infinite

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
every time I'm looking through this board I look at this title without any context whatsoever and I end up giggling forever

we need to realize the legal status of being a jerk. what is the legality of farting very loudly in your opponent's face while they're doing an infinite
Farting in the opponent's face is completely legal, as well as whispering sweet nothings in their ear.

gravy

Smash Ace
Tope definitely screamed hard enough in my teams set vs him at mass madness that everyone mentioned it to me. Pretty much a constant stream on nonsense throughout the set. It didn't really bother me, but it definitely seems illegitimate. At the very least it's extremely immature coming from the oldest person I've ever seen holding a controller of any kind.

D

Deleted member

I look at people's controllers sometimes because god damn it I want that sleek, modded, turquoise gamecube controller. :dkmelee:
In all seriousness though, I think controller peeking or whatever it may be called should be heavily discouraged, but not banned. If people want to do it, let them do it. There's literally no way to prove it.​

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
First of all, let me give my background. I'm a long-time traditional fighting game player of 15+ years who this year turned into a TO/Smash Player.

With that being said, I'll second the audio cues being used from traditional fighters (I've been playing these since some of you were barely walking, to give away my age). In the traditional FGC, there is an actual demand for less noisy buttons (Sanwa Denshi makes I think it's the OBFS-30 series), and some of the higher-level players will pick up on joystick button presses.

In regards to M2K's complaints in the OP regarding excess crowd noise, I find a simple pair of noise cancelling headphones do the trick. I own a pair of MLG-tagged Astro A40s for this sole purpose (and they work well with all three current-gen consoles), and I usually will put something loud on (like OverKill) to drown out crowd noise. I have a couple friends who are part of a organization that holds traditional tournaments, and they normally will have headphone splitter jacks on their tournament monitors (something similar could probably be done on a CRT without affecting the game audio too badly).

The third topic (as a TO) would put me and my organization into the realm of stalling a match, and as one person (I think it was Strong Bad) mentioned, there are already established rules for it if my memory serves me right. Banning characters outright is borderline ridiculous to me, but that's my opinion.

BIG C

Smash Master
As far as the crowd yelling goes, tournament smash is a spectator sport, with it being a sport people become fans of certain players and playstyles. For the majority of people they don't wanna see a match full of IC infinite grabs and whatnot, according to their level of distaste the fans will boo or make noise just like any other sport that has the level of hype that smash does.

As for players yelling and smack talking during matches, apparently you young'ns have never been to a tournament with the original DA crew in attendance. If you had I guarantee you would never complain about anything that anybody does during a match. Old school mindgames that's all.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Nothing wrong with looking at someone's controller... If it becomes a factor, I'll pull some mad mind games with my thumbs... Yelling during a match to gain an advantage? That definitely is not part of the game and should not be occurring.

Top Bottom