• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Its one source. All of them are saying they don't see anything to doubt the source in question, but its only one source that has said this.
Actually push and tama has said in the nintenzone thread there was more than one source.But yeah we should probably take this conversation to either PM or that thread.This thread should probably be left to discuss all things shovel knight game/moveset speculation i dont think the mods would like us discussing a rumor here anyway

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Just gotta jump in here and tell you i just voted for Shovel Knight in the Smash Ballot as a last second vote!

I know that he doesn't really "deserve" the spot or that it is very likely that he will get in, but i just like Shovelknight too much as a character and i think he has amazing moveset potential.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think it could be true. They didn't mistakenly add any animal crossing amiibo to the list, or Toad. It's completely possible they just leaked it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it could be true. They didn't mistakenly add any animal crossing amiibo to the list, or Toad. It's completely possible they just leaked it.
Its also only on the NA site, and NA's Amiibo listings are riddled with errors. I also heard that Chibi-Robo was mistakenly listed as well before he got removed. They probably just add them all to a few games right off the bat since most Amiibo are compatible before they go back and fix them later.

I don't think Chibi Robo is compatible unless he unlocks something.
I heard he got removed, but its possible he's still up I suppose. Anyway, SK will definitely be removed from the listing soon as well.

EDIT: There are no Amiibo that unlock things in Smash to date, they only allow you to create Amiibo Fighters. Would be nice if eventually all non-compatible Amiibo just unlock an Amiibo costume, like Splatoon, but they haven't set it up that way.

Last edited:

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Anyone else think that Yacht Club is just doing damage control at this point? I think he is getting in. People keep saying its not going to happen yet this horse continues to be beaten even by Nintendo themselves. Either a website employee is sharing their vote publicly or he is in and there are fibs being told. I still find it hard to believe they would discuss an amiibo but not the game that started them.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Its also only on the NA site, and NA's Amiibo listings are riddled with errors. I also heard that Chibi-Robo was mistakenly listed as well before he got removed. They probably just add them all to a few games right off the bat since most Amiibo are compatible before they go back and fix them later.

I heard he got removed, but its possible he's still up I suppose. Anyway, SK will definitely be removed from the listing soon as well.

EDIT: There are no Amiibo that unlock things in Smash to date, they only allow you to create Amiibo Fighters. Would be nice if eventually all non-compatible Amiibo just unlock an Amiibo costume, like Splatoon, but they haven't set it up that way.
Chibi-Robo is STILL listed as being Smash compatible on its own individual site. Just not on the Smash Bros. page. Similarly, while Shovel Knight is listed on the Smash Bros. page, it's not on the individual Shovel Knight page.
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/chibi-robo-amiibo-chibi-robo-series
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/shovel-knight-amiibo-shovel-knight-series

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This isn't the first mislisting on the amiibo site... Dr. Mario was listed for Splatoon on top of Smash and Mario Party. Actually, that's what gave the Splatoon X Super Mario Sunshine "leak" any credence.

Even if it did work in Smash, who's to say it has to be as a fighter? Could be something else added in an update, like a Mii costume or something. Seeing this next to Chibi Robo's accidental listing makes me think the same could apply to him as well.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As actively vitrolic as I've been towards Nindies in general, I've resigned myself to this. He's what a lot of people want, and I understand why; his game actually has some effort put into it, hearkens back to the old days without being a blatant pale imitation, is probably the most ideal representative for the downloadable section of Nintendo's history, and to top it all off, he uses a weapon that's not a sword.

So all I have to say is "congratulations".

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As actively vitrolic as I've been towards Nindies in general, I've resigned myself to this. He's what a lot of people want, and I understand why; his game actually has some effort put into it, hearkens back to the old days without being a blatant pale imitation, is probably the most ideal representative for the downloadable section of Nintendo's history, and to top it all off, he uses a weapon that's not a sword.

That's what people said to Chrom's fans before he was officially deconfirmed. You should never assume anything. We have no evidence Shovel Knight is a guaranteed character, only rumors from one guy. And a messed up NA Amiibo compatibility listing that gets numerous entries wrong before they're finally corrected.

Yay, we're getting Zero Suit Scrooge McDuck in Ducktales Remastered! (No, seriously, Zero Suit Samus was stated to be compatible with Ducktales Remastered a while back.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

A shovel is functionally the same as a sword besides the whole digging thing... Not a good reason by itself to include him.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
That's what people said to Chrom's fans before he was officially deconfirmed. You should never assume anything. We have no evidence Shovel Knight is a guaranteed character, only rumors from one guy. And a messed up NA Amiibo compatibility listing that gets numerous entries wrong before they're finally corrected.

Yay, we're getting Zero Suit Scrooge McDuck in Ducktales Remastered! (No, seriously, Zero Suit Samus was stated to be compatible with Ducktales Remastered a while back.)
You know, you're kind of a downer, Jaidyn.

I'm just saying, geez. You don't have to take a swing every time something SK related pops up, we all know he's not likely. No need to rub it in every time we get excited.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Shovel Knight is definitely the best indie character choice, no other indie character can claim that they've crossed over with a big name video game character such as Kratos and the Battletoads to a lesser extent.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd say it's closer to a poleaxe or a halberd than a sword.
You swing 'em and they're often most effective at max range. Not a lot of functional difference. Actually, they'd probably end up with a tipper mechanic like what Marth has because having no hitboxes up close would be pretty hard to overcome.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You swing 'em and they're often most effective at max range. Not a lot of functional difference. Actually, they'd probably end up with a tipper mechanic like what Marth has because having no hitboxes up close would be pretty hard to overcome.
Does every weapon function exactly like a sword to you...? This literally comes up every time uniqueness is discussed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Does every weapon function exactly like a sword to you...? This literally comes up every time uniqueness is discussed.
Basically, if you can give Marth a weapon and not have the animations look completely stupid then it's too similar to a sword. So axes, hammers, knives, clubs, staves, shovels, and giant tuna aren't worth including off the top of my head.

Considering Sakurai brought up the issue in regards to Little Mac, I don't see why it's suddenly a problem for me to think likewise.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Basically, if you can give Marth a weapon and not have the animations look completely stupid then it's too similar to a sword. So axes, hammers, knives, clubs, staves, shovels, and giant tuna aren't worth including off the top of my head.

Considering Sakurai brought up the issue in regards to Little Mac, I don't see why it's suddenly a problem for me to think likewise.
Because giving Marth a shovel would look completely normal. :rolleyes:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would like to preface my post by stating that I am NOT a big fan of going to a thread as a detractor. I have, however, some extreme hesitations about what shovel Knight could bring to the table.

In all sincerity, he seems like a fantastic character, from a fantastic game. He does not, though, appeared to have anything unique about him as a fighter*, nor nearly enough gravitas to when a fan Service poll. Quite honestly, only characters who would love me more in the wrong way, are all from Fire Emblem. I came to this thread to read the initial post and find some merits and his inclusion, but I cannot help but feel the tunneled hype generated by this character is based on frivolous and irrelevant factoids.

* utilizing a shovel does not make him unique, if it is merely different by the sprite alone. If it is a general bludgeoning object, it, in itself, offers nothing of variety. Variation comes from play style, & I mean this in a general term... Not by minute differences in, say, a sweet spot of a sword tip.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I would like to preface my post by stating that I am NOT a big fan of going to a thread as a detractor. I have, however, some extreme hesitations about what shovel Knight could bring to the table.

In all sincerity, he seems like a fantastic character, from a fantastic game. He does not, though, appeared to have anything unique about him as a fighter*, nor nearly enough gravitas to when a fan Service poll. Quite honestly, only characters who would love me more in the wrong way, are all from Fire Emblem. I came to this thread to read the initial post and find some merits and his inclusion, but I cannot help but feel the tunneled hype generated by this character is based on frivolous and irrelevant factoids.

* utilizing a shovel does not make me unique, if it is merely different by the sprite alone. If it is a general bludgeoning object, it, in itself, offers nothing of variety. Variation comes from play style, & I mean this in a general term... Not by minute differences in, say, a sweet spot of a sword tip.
Shovel Knight has a fairly wide array of items in addition to his shovel when it comes to crafting a moveset. Also the pogo effect he has, while not exclusive to him, could be implemented in interesting ways. Also, if his mobility parameters are true to the source game, he'd probably be somewhat slow on the ground but have high aerial mobility, probably a bit like Megaman only more based around hand-to-hand combat instead of projectiles, which I don't believe too many sword characters have(maybe Ike?). Granted he wouldn't have any truly unique mechanic like Shulk or Rosalina or Little Mac, but I don't think it would be hard to make him feel like his own character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Shovel Knight has a fairly wide array of items in addition to his shovel when it comes to crafting a moveset. Also the pogo effect he has, while not exclusive to him, could be implemented in interesting ways. Also, if his mobility parameters are true to the source game, he'd probably be somewhat slow on the ground but have high aerial mobility, probably a bit like Megaman only more based around hand-to-hand combat instead of projectiles, which I don't believe too many sword characters have(maybe Ike?). Granted he wouldn't have any truly unique mechanic like Shulk or Rosalina or Little Mac, but I don't think it would be hard to make him feel like his own character.
I could not accept a character named after an Earthen-item being implemented as an aerial-strength character. This is the actual premise of other, historical, and first party characters.

That said, I appreciate your response.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As :4mewtwo: :4samus: can attest to...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...smash_bros_denied_in_vain_by_yacht_club_games

DECOMFIRMED BY CREATORS!

Shovel Knight amiibo is confirmed only for amiibo functions in Shovel Knight. There has been no mention of any other game that works with the device, including Smash Brothers.
We already know this.

Although Nintendo Life really messed up this part:

"The social media poster for the studio has got one aspect of its denials wrong, however, mis-reading the screengrab as listing the Shovel Knight amiibo as part of the Smash Bros. series, which it doesn't."

The mislisting they were talking about was the very first Shovel Knight listing which did state it was a Smash Bros. line Amiibo. Nintendo Life really messed this one up, this had nothing to do with the listing on the Smash Bros. website.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...smash_bros_denied_in_vain_by_yacht_club_games

DECOMFIRMED BY CREATORS!

Shovel Knight amiibo is confirmed only for amiibo functions in Shovel Knight. There has been no mention of any other game that works with the device, including Smash Brothers.
I saw that article, but I'm still not sure whether or not to believe YCH. I mean, Nintendo is kind of known for forcing people to swear to secrecy.

If you tried to wield an axe or a hammer in the same way as a fencing blade, even assuming it's one handed, you'd be in for a heap of trouble. The weight distribution is completely different, and frankly, Marth wielding one would look stupid.

Look at the Ice Climbers' hammers, for example; they constantly switch from one-handed to two-handed because that's just how hammers work. Blunt instruments need more force behind them to hurt than sharp instruments. If Marth disarmed one of them and tried to use it himself in the style he was used to, his attacks would be clumsy and inefficient, he'd leave himself wide open, and he'd probably dislocate something to boot.

Axes are similar. They're not meant to cut or scratch the way swords are. They're meant to split. Even hand axes. A graze from an axe blade isn't going to hurt as much as a scratch from a sword, because that's not what axes are designed for; the power of axes is that they can concentrate a lot of power into one hit to wedge apart tough surfaces, like trees or bone, which swords can't do very easily.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you tried to wield an axe or a hammer in the same way as a fencing blade, even assuming it's one handed, you'd be in for a heap of trouble. The weight distribution is completely different, and frankly, Marth wielding one would look stupid.

Look at the Ice Climbers' hammers, for example; they constantly switch from one-handed to two-handed because that's just how hammers work. Blunt instruments need more force behind them to hurt than sharp instruments. If Marth disarmed one of them and tried to use it himself in the style he was used to, his attacks would be clumsy and inefficient, he'd leave himself wide open, and he'd probably dislocate something to boot.

Axes are similar. They're not meant to cut or scratch the way swords are. They're meant to split. Even hand axes. A graze from an axe blade isn't going to hurt as much as a scratch from a sword, because that's not what axes are designed for; the power of axes is that they can concentrate a lot of power into one hit to wedge apart tough surfaces, like trees or bone, which swords can't do very easily.
What you're splitting here is hairs. You see people one-hand hammers and axes all the time in anime and video games... Even here in Smash you have Ike using a two-handed sword with one the majority of the time, and then everybody wields the Ore Club with one with the jab and tilt.

Doesn't matter what a weapon's name is or how sharp it is or whatever... If it functions the same as what we've got then that will never be a reason to include the character using it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The animations would, yes. Or are you implying we should start including characters over visual differences instead of gameplay merit?
Hasn't
:4sheik::4greninja:
Stopped
:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4feroy::4shulk:
Them
:4ryu::4littlemac::4mario::4luigi::4wario:
Before
:4samus::4megaman::4miigun:

Even characters that use the same weapons fight differently in Smash Bros. And you're trying to convince me a character that fights with a shovel would fight the same as a guy with a rapier?

Give me a break. :facepalm:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hasn't
:4sheik::4greninja:
Stopped
:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4feroy::4shulk:
Them
:4ryu::4littlemac::4mario::4luigi::4wario:
Before
:4samus::4megaman::4miigun:

Even characters that use the same weapons fight differently in Smash Bros. And you're trying to convince me a character that fights with a shovel would fight the same as a guy with a rapier?

Give me a break. :facepalm:
Yes it has. Stopped Mac from being a character until they came up with "ain't no air fighter."

A weapon that functions like another weapon is not, and will never be, a reason to include a character. Without some overarching gameplay niche they're not going to be playable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
**** it. Joining the thread here
Yes it has. Stopped Mac from being a character until they came up with "ain't no air fighter."

A weapon that functions like another weapon is not, and will never be, a reason to include a character. Without some overarching gameplay niche they're not going to be playable.
Need a source that Little Mac was even considered playable before Sm4sh, not to mention that he only got to be a character when they thought that. If anything, Puff is a reverse Mac yet that didn't stop Puff
Ike was made playable because Sakurai wanted a brutish heavy swordsman
Shovel Knight could still have unique moves

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
**** it. Joining the thread here
Need a source that Little Mac was even considered playable before Sm4sh, not to mention that he only got to be a character when they thought that. If anything, Puff is a reverse Mac yet that didn't stop Puff
Ike was made playable because Sakurai wanted a brutish heavy swordsman
Shovel Knight could still have unique moves
Ike was made playable because Sakurai asked Intelligent Systems who to pick and they suggested Ike. And Sakurai decided to make Ike a brutish swordsman to fill in a niche.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ike was made playable because Sakurai asked Intelligent Systems who to pick and they suggested Ike. And Sakurai decided to make Ike a brutish swordsman to fill in a niche.
I heard it was the other way around, Sakurai wanted a playstyle and then Ike was brought to his attention by IS, which he felt fitted well enough. The playstyle went first

Top Bottom