• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Ya Gimps! Pit General Disc.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
DI-ing the fairs out still gets you killed so it doesn't really matter either way.

Covering low recoveries with Pit is a little less fleshed out than high recoveries. I don't think it works from the stage. Maybe ledgehop down air -> land on stage -> follow is best. His other ledge options are awkward, they can sweetspot under dtilt, and you can't really get arrows down there well.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Watching some of Armada's matches at Apex 2014 again. His D-Throw CG is definitely going to be taken out. I haven't played SSBM but I think it might be comparable to the notorious Sheik Down Throw at the moment.

If Pit doesn't have the CG I think he'll still be solid, the CG is just ridiculous at the moment.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
If you're going to remove pit's fast-faller-only percent-specific chaingrab you might as well remove everybody's fast-faller-only percent-specific chaingrab which is quite a few characters. It's not really broken and considering spacies are ridiculous it's not even unbalancing. I think Pit is best left as he is.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah. i think pit is fine as is.and being chain grabbed is part of a spacies life.and there will be a bunch of pit band wagoners now but im sure it wont last long.they will try him and realize they are not armada and go back to their other characters

Player -0

Smash Hero
It seems like Pit has an easier time and once the space is at a reasonable percent Pit can instantly go into kill because the spacie isn't sent as far up. It could just be me not being used to zero to deaths from grabs, especially since it's the same throw over and over.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I think Pit is a fairly simple character and only when playing againt complicated characters is he hard to play correctly. He has tricky stuff but I don't think it's very good.

How did you other Pits do at APEX?

I lost round 1 of pools to a fox but then cruised through losers to 2nd seed. Went 1-1 in bracket, losing to Hungrybox. 33rd overall I think.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I did alright. I got seeded terribly though, since JC didn't know I'm SaiXeven. I was seeded like a random, and then we have to DQ a few people from the pool, and were replaced with more good players. My pool was a toss-up of 5 people to make it out.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Puff's main strengths are her edgeguarding, recovery, and threatening while spacing (I believe.)
Puff is very light though. Her up b is all but useless. Her ground game is overall outclassed by her aerial game.
Of course she has the rest too.

Pit has a projectile that disrupts recoveries, combos, and racks up damage. Pit has good horizontal and decent vertical recovery. He moves quickly through the use of WoI. His ground moves are all decently disjointed (most of them) and his aerial moves are disjointed and do decent knock back.

I just wanted to make a compare chart for Shin. I was probably biased in this but whatever.

Just annoyed that he goes into an already discussed topic and starts saying stuff like it's the law.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Puff's main strengths are her edgeguarding, recovery, and threatening while spacing (I believe.)
Puff is very light though. Her up b is all but useless. Her ground game is overall outclassed by her aerial game.
Of course she has the rest too.

Pit has a projectile that disrupts recoveries, combos, and racks up damage. Pit has good horizontal and decent vertical recovery. He moves quickly through the use of WoI. His ground moves are all decently disjointed (most of them) and his aerial moves are disjointed and do decent knock back.

I just wanted to make a compare chart for Shin. I was probably biased in this but whatever.

Just annoyed that he goes into an already discussed topic and starts saying stuff like it's the law.
The fact that it's being discussed is asinine in itself.

Pit is fine. He needs no nerfs.

Unless it's to fix bugs, nothing needs to change at this point.

Let the game's meta develop, for ****'s sake.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but you mentioned that you were annoyed by me. So I figured I'd make it worse.

Player -0

Smash Hero
The fact that it's being discussed is asinine in itself.

Pit is fine. He needs no nerfs.

Unless it's to fix bugs, nothing needs to change at this point.

Let the game's meta develop, for ****'s sake.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but you mentioned that you were annoyed by me. So I figured I'd make it worse.
I never suggested Pit get nerfed in my reply to your post, you went aggressive while there was no reason as nobody provoked you.

@Strongbad I think we can all agree with that. I love jumping out of WoI to waveland, it's just so cool

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I never suggested Pit get nerfed in my reply to your post, you went aggressive while there was no reason as nobody provoked you.

@Strongbad I think we can all agree with that. I love jumping out of WoI to waveland, it's just so cool
I find it funny when people assume my mood through written text.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I find it funny when people assume my mood through written text.
You were using short sentences which gives off a strong, blunt vibe. Also I'm not guessing your mood (unless we have differing definitions) but judging from the tone of your text and my mood.

Rereading my stuff and realizing it may come off as defensive, awkward. Being insightful is hard, can we go back to insults?

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
You were using short sentences which gives off a strong, blunt vibe. Also I'm not guessing your mood (unless we have differing definitions) but judging from the tone of your text and my mood.

Rereading my stuff and realizing it may come off as defensive, awkward. Being insightful is hard, can we go back to insults?
I'd rather not.

I'd prefer if people give the game more than 6 months to a year to let this game's meta develop.

I, and hopefully many others, think it's too early for changes to be made to anyone.

There are people suggesting a nerf to Link's BOOMERANG!

It's ridiculous. I hate seeing all this nerf talk all over the place.

At this point, people should learn the meta and then propose ideas if truly necessary.

Pit being able to K.O. Spacies off of a few reads, or a single hit in some cases, is no reason to nerf a character.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah.he really did.using alot of retreating aerials until he got the hit that he needed.i really liked that. and it definitely can work against a super aggressive player too.what made it so effective was that he mixed it up with just going straight in.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've already determined Pit's biggest weakness:
He's not Fox.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'd rather not.

I'd prefer if people give the game more than 6 months to a year to let this game's meta develop.

I, and hopefully many others, think it's too early for changes to be made to anyone.

There are people suggesting a nerf to Link's BOOMERANG!

It's ridiculous. I hate seeing all this nerf talk all over the place.

At this point, people should learn the meta and then propose ideas if truly necessary.

Pit being able to K.O. Spacies off of a few reads, or a single hit in some cases, is no reason to nerf a character.
FINALLY somebody says exactly what I was thinking. Whenever a character starts doing good, nerfs start being brought up and it's so ****ing annoying. I'm not saying Player0 suggested nerfs, I'm just saying that the people that do need to let the meta grow for a bit.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
sooo, final consensus for Link is that taking care of the boomerang is high priority to reliably get in close and apply pressure. how does one go about dealing with the boomerang? I doubt Mirror Shield would do much good, and negating it with an arrow just allows him to throw another one by the time you start moving...

and on the subject of pressure, what kind of attack strings can reliably work? I'm lousy with maintaining a juggle, so I'm trying to find some options to fall back on for offense... not having too much luck finding many consistent ideas...

Last edited:

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Since he can only have 1 boomerang out at a time it's not really a spammable projectile. Link probably uses it to buy time to setup his actual projectile game or to change spacing. Arrow spam should be better than boomerang.

There's usually some good fixed combo trees at lower %s (up to mid %s on the less floaty characters), but they all can end in juggles/edgeguard to give Pit a really full punish game. You should just work on juggling instead of finding an alternative because it's really good. Where do your juggles go wrong?

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Have you played vs a Link yet or am I just doing something wrong? Once he brings out the boomerang, I'm forced to approach.
I "main" Link and as you know relatively recently Link's boomerang was changed to have less start and end lag for combo-ing and keeping space (unless I'm wrong) but the drawback is that it has less reach (still good distance). Typically a Link will 1. Get a bomb 2. Charge an arrow (can jump and fire an uncharged one so it hits from above) 3. Approach 4. Stand still?

Canceling the boomerang with an arrow will just allow Link to throw another in a couple of seconds. Fortunately Pit can curve his arrows. This allows him to punish a bomb pull (he'll still get the bomb), stop Link from CHARGING an arrow (Jump uncharged arrow will still fire I think). An approaching Link that follows his boomerang can just power shield your arrow so I would do a retreating arrow through the use of a turn around B (hitting back BEFORE hitting b and releasing it to neutral). Pit's arrows are infinite so you can stay out of range of his boomerang and pressure him for throwing it (if you're too far away you have to read him as he'll have time to defend).

Of course Pit can eat up distance fairly quickly with WoI so you might be able to Powershield the boomerang (destroying it) and WoI towards him. If he's pulling a bomb then you get a free punish/string. Of course make sure he doesn't read you or you'll eat an F-Smash, Nair, or Fair (probably). To prevent this you may be able to quick drop to the ground (slamming down and hitting B at the same time?) and then punish (if it was an F-Smash make sure you look out for the second hit though).

Links will throw your boomerang diagonal so it ends up above you, this is to limit your options (you might be able to just WoI to him but if you do try to cross him up so the boomerang won't get you from behind).

If nair eats boomerang then that helps a lot, WoI and nair through it if you're close enough.

I'd just stay really mobile and close enough to punish if the opportunity arises, don't forget you can WoI back and forth for some quick movement. Play like CF or Fox and abuse your options out of WoI so Link can't corner you.

Remember this is all theory so if anyone can test this that would be nice, LOL.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
It's not a combo. You position yourself to intercept their descent. Take fox for example: He can't out-prioritize your upair from below and he is forced to land eventually because of gravity. You plan your interception close enough to the ground so if he burns his jump you can land and regroup quick enough to set up the same situation except he no longer has his jump. It's really strong because you've setup a winning exchange and he can't wait forever. Plus, the exchange leads right back into the same setup so you get to repeat it until he dies.

Armada's videos have great usage of Pit's juggling if you need some examples.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
not a combo...? hmm, I suppose I have been used to seeing air combos in a majority of the PM video streams out there, I kind of assumed Pit would have something of the same sort...

If it's mainly repositioning on the ground, though, then that should give me just enough time to plan ahead.

Last edited:

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
dthrow fair regrab work well on link for a good amount of percent. the timing is pretty strict but it can be done even though he can put out his nair pretty fast...also this exact discussion just happened in the matchup thread not very long ago and it is pretty detailed

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Might not sound significant to you guys, but for me it was a big step. Did my first multi-fair gimp yesterday. Was at like 100+%, both of us on last stock. He had like 15% but I carried him offstage with multiple fairs out of his recovery range and picked up the win. It felt so awesome, 'cause it happened so quickly. Just like, "Well, that happened"

CORY

wut
BRoomer
the feels, man.

also, "everytime someone gets their first multi-fair gimp, an angel gets its wings : D"

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Might not sound significant to you guys, but for me it was a big step. Did my first multi-fair gimp yesterday. Was at like 100+%, both of us on last stock. He had like 15% but I carried him offstage with multiple fairs out of his recovery range and picked up the win. It felt so awesome, 'cause it happened so quickly. Just like, "Well, that happened"
When I can fair gimp a character by using an arrow between two fairs to keep it going is my personal favorite feeling.

Or maybe "backthrow to edge of stage at low % > dash attack > dtilt gimp" on an unexpecting opponent. Feels so good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom