• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yes, but that will be explicitly pointed out in the Easter Egg...

(Part 7 will be the best video EVAR)

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Wow... Just... Wow.

I've only now finished part 2, so I'm not even done yet, but I'm *really* enjoying it so far. I enjoy finally being able to read (or in this case, listen to) an in-depth analysis of Brawl's gameplay that doesn't focus on just the technical side. Obviously, I don't agree with you on all points (modded or unmodded, nothing beats the GameCube controller, but I honestly found that I liked the plain Wiimote setup much better than I could ever imagine), but I'm so glad that someone has taken the time to discuss other aspects of the gameplay. I do wish that you could have rigged a second camera to watch the screen so that you could cut to the gameplay from time-to-time. It's a bit boring to watch two people trying to podcast while smash sticks and buttons, playing and actively refering to something we can't see. XD

While I'm at it, I have to agree with your conclusion that Brawl is more "strategic" than Melee was, and I *like* that. I enjoy that you have to put more thought into your moves, advances, and defenses and that you can't just rely on strings of combos that you memorized in practice. But that's probably just me (and I wouldn't be surprised if the technical aspect of Brawl comes back in full force a year or two from now after people have had more playtime).

But now I'm just rambling. Thank you so much for your work on this project! It's always enjoyable to be able to hear the opinions of people who enjoy the series as much as we do! ^_^

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I do wish that you could have rigged a second camera to watch the screen so that you could cut to the gameplay from time-to-time. It's a bit boring to watch two people trying to podcast while smash sticks and buttons, playing and actively refering to something we can't see. XD

I TOTALLY understand what you're saying, but there were people who wanted to see what we looked like as we were playing. Plus, this was easier to do from a production standpoint, and we also have videos of us playing Brawl (however old they may be) on the channel. If there was one thing I could have changed, it was definitely this though.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Youtube is being a ***** just like Nana and is not wanting to process the final part in a swift manner. And yes, it is irking me tremendously.

You know, considering it's the best part by FAR, imo.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I TOTALLY understand what you're saying, but there were people who wanted to see what we looked like as we were playing. Plus, this was easier to do from a production standpoint, and we also have videos of us playing Brawl (however old they may be) on the channel. If there was one thing I could have changed, it was definitely this though.
Oh, don't get me wrong; I understand completely why it didn't happen. But that doesn't keep me from wishing. XD

Also, while it's still fresh on my mind, you mentioned the Sakurai interview in Nintendo Power and I'd really like to check it out. Does someone happen to have the volume number for the issue it's in?

Smash Ace
Youko and Panda, I think that I have a response to your questions about tripping:
Sakurai said:
...but the game was built so that if a player is strong in combat, just doing the same thing over and over again won't guarantee they'll always win over their opponents. There is a mechanism of accidents occurring, balanced so that the game's progress and results falter easily.
This was in a 2003 article written by Sakurai about SSB64 (published in Famitsu). The full text is here. Gimpyfish first pointed this quote out in his thread, "Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise."

The "mechanism of accidents occurring" sounds exactly like tripping to me, and while this article is five years old and written about a different game, I think that it's every bit as relevant to Sakurai's reasoning today as it was then. I would be willing to bet that this is exactly why tripping was put in the game: so that no one will "always win over their opponents."

Note: I'm not saying that Brawl isn't competitive. Sakurai designed Melee, which certainly was competitive. Whether or not he intended it as a party game or not is another matter. I just found this quote interesting and relevant to tripping.

DQP

Smash Ace
yeah tripping can really ruin competitive play, but that's not to say brawl isn't good. i haven't touched melee since march 8th

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yes it does - it gives you an idea of what it is, but not the full awesomeness of it.

Smash Ace
@DQP:

My point really doesn't have much to do with competitive play. I think, from that quote, that Sakurai wanted to get a sort of flow into the game, to make it go back and forth unpredictably; in essence to make sure that accidents happen.

Yes, it's certainly related to competition, but I think that it's best to look at that quote from a broader standpoint. Simply put, he added tripping to change how the game flows.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
UGH, after an hour following the first upload, it still didn't process.

So I removed it and less than ten minutes after the second upload, it's up without a hitch.

Anyway, regarding the audio download that is linked in the first post, that will be what is posted on iTunes. However, since SWF has had its server moved in the past few days, it might be a little bit before we get it out on iTunes...

Shock the Hedgehog

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockhog
Really liked the video review. I fell on the floor laughing at the easter egg. It's also comforting to know you guys aren't of the opinion that Brawl isn't competetive.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Woah. You guys look nothing like I expected. :D

EDIT: Also, who is that other guy in the room in part 3?

EDIT 2: Nevermind, that's Epic.

matta-from-subid

Smash Apprentice
Epic easter egg!

...Now that song got stuck on my head...

Anyways: It seems i'm a noob since i didn't know you could jump off from warios bike. But concider that I'm a pal player and i don't even have it yet :p (always taking everything literally)

Good to see.

edit: samuraipanda, your expression on the easter egg is great!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Frankly, I'm AMAZED nobody has said anything about one-handed clapping. Considering it was the most demanded thing, hahaha.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
Admittedly, I've known how to clap one-handed for years. I actually saw it in a Simpsons episode once.

Yeah, I suppose the Homer head had something to do with it. Man, it gets hot under that thing...

And yes, Kiseki, that IS Don Patch on my wall; Super Patch to be specific. I took this picture I drew and had it enlarged and turned into a wall sticker.

Top Bottom