• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in Downtown 10: The Ambush [Stream starts at 1:00pm EST]

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I just realized
Why is it that the first time we consider crews, we're considering them for a tournament running losers' pools?

Unless there's a significantly lower turnout than expected I don't see crews happening here at all.

Bing

Smash Master
I just realized
Why is it that the first time we consider crews, we're considering them for a tournament running losers' pools?

Unless there's a significantly lower turnout than expected I don't see crews happening here at all.
Im going to talk to Tin about this later. I love crews. I just think we'd need to cap the number of people. Like a 5 vs 5 crew or something like that.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Im going to talk to Tin about this later. I love crews. I just think we'd need to cap the number of people. Like a 5 vs 5 crew or something like that.
We could probably make crews work if we don't allow certain characters.

Like Olimar, ICs, Falco, Pit, Sonic, and any other character that plays a camp based game.

MK would be allowed if we don't let players with campy/planky playstyles to participate

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
We could probably make crews work if we don't allow certain characters.

Like Olimar, ICs, Falco, Pit, Sonic, and any other character that plays a camp based game.

MK would be allowed if we don't let players with campy/planky playstyles to participate
lmao

Anyway, a 5v5 would mean at most 9 matches. Even if all 9 are 8 minutes (which they won't be), this would be just over an hour

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Timeouts don't exist in crews, DDM. Every match has to end in 1 of the players losing all their stocks.

If we do have a timer it'll be for Warios who need it to keep track of Waft, or a PT player (lol) or if we're playing on Jungle Japes or something XD

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
Crews SLAP

But how would we balance the crews out? We could do it old school way, and have 2 captains.

OR LEAGUE OF BRAWL, PICK THE TEAMS, BAN THE CHARACTERS, THEN SELECT YOUR CHARACTERS, LOCK THEM ****S IN, AND TO THE FIELDS OF JUSTICE. EACH PERSON PLAYS FOR 20 MINUTES, TWO 1V1'S, ONE DOUBLES, AND 1 PERSON ROAMING AROUND PISSING EVERYONE OFF ON THE OTHER TEAM.

The possibilities are endless.

Timeouts don't exist in crews, DDM. Every match has to end in 1 of the players losing all their stocks.

If we do have a timer it'll be for Warios who need it to keep track of Waft, or a PT player (lol) or if we're playing on Jungle Japes or something XD
Some people used to run an 8 minute timer in crews, and if it went to timeout, you'd simply subtract the stocks.

Example: MK times out Olimar 2 stocks to 1, MK proceeds to the next match with 1 stock.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
On the topic of crews, I suppose we'll have to see...

Some good suggestions came up (adding a timer and taking out stocks when the time runs out, selecting people via draft & captains, capping the teams, etc).

And some bad/troll ones... (banning characters, etc).

Um, I suppose I'll make a poll in the facebook group?

ALSO, unlike last tournament, we can not go over 9pm for a side event! Please keep that in mind! (you know who you are :glare: lol.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
On the topic of crews, I suppose we'll have to see...

Some good suggestions came up (adding a timer and taking out stocks when the time runs out, selecting people via draft & captains, capping the teams, etc).

And some bad/troll ones... (banning characters, etc).

Um, I suppose I'll make a poll in the facebook group?

ALSO, unlike last tournament, we can not go over 9pm for a side event! Please keep that in mind! (you know who you are :glare: lol.
Didn't the last tournament have 12 people? How the **** do you manage to go past 9 PM with 12 people.

Also, I sent you a PM about the facebook group.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Do people want a crew battle at Showdown in Downtown 10? Given the suggestions posted earlier, it would likely be a smallish number (5v5 or so), and with a time limit for each match (as the IMPULSE Brawl crew battle ended far longer than I had intended it to...).

Also, Keep in mind:

1. Only the votes of those people that come to the tournament will count.
2. The poll will close at 1:00am on Saturday, November 10, 2012.
3. People can also vote on smashboards if for some reason they can not access Facebook (just say yes or no).
4. Completing this side event will not be a priority if it runs past 9pm as the venue will be closing.

Bing

Smash Master
Okay Tin, this is what needs to happens;

5 vs 5 with the following teams.

Tin, Meek, R e d X, VS V115, TO Joe, Poke,

Last 2 spots are a toss up due to inconsistent attendance and what not.

Now for the rest of us.

Myself and Niko_K are Commentary and **** talkers. The rest of you just sit nicely and act cute.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace

Now for the rest of us.

Myself and Niko_K are Commentary and **** talkers. The rest of you just sit nicely and act cute.
Iliad commentates. Otherwise he'll get the gun out again.

And you won't like him when he's hungry.

Also, I think we should run crews more often, and that we should have captains instead of steady teams. And we don't even have to have "top" players as captains, either. ANYONE could be a captain. I think it'd be more fun/interesting to use unranked players as captains.

Bing

Smash Master
Iliad commentates. Otherwise he'll get the gun out again.

And you won't like him when he's hungry.
Ah true, Illiad commentates, Niko and I talk ****. Oh and if Kurtis goes, they do commentary together

Ill just edit my post instead of making a new one.

I'd have to agree with Meek, it would be fun for it to be not as static and serious even. Like 5v5 Random only.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I vote yes to crews even tho I'm prob leaving before they happen

blacktwins13

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blacktwins13

Now for the rest of us.

im declared the 4th manz for Toronto, :smirk:

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
^ do you mean a 4th for Toronto?

Making it: Tin, Meek, R e d X, VS V115, TO Joe, Poke, Blacktwins

If rest of gta needs a 4th, and there's nobody better, I'd like to partake :)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
TO joe is york region anyway you silly guys

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
I'd have to agree with Meek, it would be fun for it to be not as static and serious even. Like 5v5 Random only.
Na, I'd like it to be taken seriously. Anything not taken to a degree of seriousness isn't hype. And if it's not hype then well...what's the point? I don't want to just "play crews". I want our scene to experience crew battles. To have not just the people in the crew battle but the people watching it be entertained. Make it as hype as possible.

It's not cities or anything just good players evenly distributed

:phone:
I don't even think good players evenly distributed is the most hype thing. I've seen amateur bracket finals be more hype than most of our grand final sets.

Like...if we can manage to get some sort of crowd for watching the crews and putting effort into hyping it up, I think it'd be worth running. I just think we should mix up the crews between tourneys if it does become a semi-regular thing. (I wouldn't like it to become a regular thing, because look @ Ally vs Holy, that happens regularly in a majority of our tournaments. Nobody watches it @ all in the venue.) Maybe mixing up the captains, making it PR members only, non-PR members only, only people with names that are under the letter P on the alphabet? 3v3? 5v5? The potential is limitless. Different themes for the in-house crew battles.

I also think it should be the very 1st thing we do. Not as a priority, but to ensure that the people who want to partake in the crews can partake. Some people have to leave early for various reasons.

I also think it should be draft, with 2 captains. How we decide the captains should also differentiate. Like...if it's PR members only, we have the top 2 on the PR (In the current case, V115 and Tin), give the 2nd on PR the 1st pick, then give the 1st on PR the next pick, and go from there. If it's PR-prohibited crews, we should put everyones name in a hat (or maybe put everyone who's an HM in a hat) and randomly pull 2 names out. Make it as fair and balanced as possible.

I think this is 1 of the very few serious posts I've made on smashboards with 0 trolling involved in it. :c

Cruxis

Smash Lord
hamilton vs whitby rematch NEEDS to happen again

or since im coming to this we could do a York crew. tin, joe, myself, who else is from York region?

and i know yall heard my ethnic crews idea back for impulse, that was the **** and it needs to happen

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Actually to add on to what I said, I think that if we're doing crews at THIS tourney it should be after singles and dubs. SiD10's running losers' pools so if we do crews first, singles might end up running late.
Doing it after singles would let us know if we have enough time to do crews.
For other tournies, however, crews first would be cool.

I think perhaps an easy way to decide crew captains (if we have crew captains) would be, for example, when doing venue fee + reg, we also just have a paper with a list of 5-10ish people as eligible candidates for captain, and entrants vote as they register.

Bing

Smash Master
I was just saying I mean, everyone takes crews semi serious at least, no one likes to lose :p But yeah I agree Meek. I think crews needs to happen. Draft crews are generally the best idea, with that being said we could other things. Would be pretty cool is if one tournament we dropped dubs and did a mini crews tournament. Like at Genesis 2, they did that with melee. 6 crews - Canada, South, East, West, Midwest, International) top 2 ranked teams(which were South and West) got byes while the other 4 played in a swiss draw single elimination bracket.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Still looking for a partner (starting to sound like a broken record :p)

PS Low tier crews ftw

PPS Captain Falcon only crews ftw

PPPS Taking all 1 dollar Captain Falcon ditto MMs

Top Bottom