• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in Downtown 5: No Escape - Thanks to everyone that watched ^_^!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I think the best thing to do is to make a compilation the posts that are in favour of this CSS. I would do it, but I'm swamped with assignments/term projects atm. If someone's willing to do it, I'll talk to him personally and represent that argument.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
btw Dirt, we should do a $2 Random button MM.
I know you enjoy using the whole roster probably as much as I do

Anyone else interested in one, hit me up @ the venue
Can't, gotta cancel all my MMs. My actual paycheque won't clear in time.

Thank god for random governement cheques.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i'll do it lol

do you just want the posts copy-pasted directly or formatted in a certain way for emphasis and stuff

Cruxis

Smash Lord
I think the best thing to do is to make a compilation the posts that are in favour of this CSS. I would do it, but I'm swamped with assignments/term projects atm. If someone's willing to do it, I'll talk to him personally and represent that argument.
People in favor:

everyone

People not in favor:

people whos opinion doesnt count and will get beat up when i come back

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Though I do think people are overreacting a bit about the custom CSS not being allowed on the stream, I will say this.

This is supposedly a good quality stream and the problem with bringing in the custom CSS is that it's somewhat unprofessional, right? If that's the case, then that means we're trying to be as professional as possible with this stream, right?
Then wouldn't the time spent on the CSS be minimized anyway? I mean, if we're trying to stay as professional as possible when it comes to this stream, then shouldn't the setup be streaming actual tourney sets/ about 95-100% of the time? Isn't this going to be the one setup which we make sure to keep active with matches at all times, especially given how many matches there are going to be with this losers' pools idea?
People watching online are barely ever going to see the screen, and I don't think it's going to make much a difference. And when they do see the CSS, it'll probably be a good conversation topic for those online.
And lastly, I can't imagine anyone being turned off by the CSS. We're pretty sexy.

TL;DR I can't imagine any downfall to having the CSS up on stream, and we're sexy.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
clearly, "professionalism" is more important than people having entertainment and a good laugh.

people see the same shit all the time in brawl. the CSS is a nice refresh and as said before, the actual characters themselves are not altered; hell, the players faces are on the characters bodies so you can still tell which character it is.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oh Cruxis, I wasn't trying to say that fun and entertainment are more important than professionalism.
I just meant that we can easily keep the CSS on stream AND be professional.

Win-win ftw-w.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
speaking of professionalism i'm saving everything in a notepad file :rolleyes:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
hey tin since im compiling everything do you just want the reactions for this thread or should i dig into the past month or so to show the excitement for the CSS as we all waited for it? ??

Iliad

Smash Lord
Guys, i'm going to go ahead and explain to you since you guys demonize Tinman so much as to not realize how ******** you're being.

Chris' stream is not him just doing the smash community a favour. He advertises on the stream, and has his own company name and logo associate with the stream. He is not going to want (nor would I frankly) to have the custom CSS on there if it contains anything unprofessional or not PC. Examples before you ask, "Negromar" "Our ***** Lyndon" "NO ****ER" etc etc.

Now does that mean "No CSS allowed at all!" of course not. But if you're running the CSS, you're not going to be on the stream. I'm pretty sure that's what needs to be explained.

For the record, I love the CSS but I wouldn't want it on the stream either.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Guys, i'm going to go ahead and explain to you since you guys demonize Tinman so much as to not realize how ******** you're being.

Chris' stream is not him just doing the smash community a favour. He advertises on the stream, and has his own company name and logo associate with the stream. He is not going to want (nor would I frankly) to have the custom CSS on there if it contains anything unprofessional or not PC. Examples before you ask, "Negromar" "Our ***** Lyndon" "NO ****ER" etc etc.

Now does that mean "No CSS allowed at all!" of course not. But if you're running the CSS, you're not going to be on the stream. I'm pretty sure that's what needs to be explained.

Your just sayin that cause the pic on the css makes your nose look big and you dont want viewers trolling you

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

id just like to point out that yesterday I did make an alteration to the CSS that changed "our ***** lyndon" and all instances of "****er" and sent it to tin. i get that the silly theme is still there but the most potentially offensive things have been removed, i asked him if there was anything else he wanted changed to make it more viable for the stream and that was it (for the record tin requested this ages ago and cruxis texted me yesterday asking me to make it)

probably should have mentioned this earlier, sorry everyone :(

also after letting off some steam gotta realize that tin is essentially damned if he does, damned if he doesnt here... ultimately it's drekken's decision and if he denies it i hope ppl wont be taking their anger out on tin for wanting us to get a lot of views as much as ill be sad if the CSS doesnt go thru :ohwell:

zmx

Smash Lord
All this drama for something so trivial and insignificant.

Wow.

Edit: I've ran streams before and still do and trust me, you don't get any more viewers because of gimmicks like this. The only thing that counts for initial viewers is the extensive advertising/hype of your event. People won't watch if they didn't even know the tourny stream was being held in the first place. And no, the links on the main page are not sufficient. Several people hardly notice they are there especially if they directly go the sections of the site they came for.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i dont think the argument is that it'll attract more viewers, afaik it's that it'll be more amusing for the viewers we were already going to have & to show off our region's pride on the stream & perhaps other regions will start doing the same thing as well

someone correct me if i'm wrong :ohwell:

zmx

Smash Lord
Yes but shouldn't getting as many viewers as possible be the primary concern?

I highly doubt anyone will think that's watching "hmmm this stream sucks but I LOVE THE CSS, I'm gonna stay just so I can watch it for a few seconds every hour".

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
admittedly i'm ignorant about this sort of thing but would it really turn viewers away?

honest question!

zmx

Smash Lord
No, I don't think will make any difference either way. Why? Because think why they came in the first place. They came to see brawl and hype matches, not the CSS. It's a cool idea but ultimately will not affect viewership.

As long as the recording setup continues to display good matches (and commentary) I think it will be a success. If it is neglected then it won't be.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
zmx i get what you're saying, and i don't disagree... and i also agree that this shouldn't be as big a deal as it is, but for completely diff reasons... if the CSS won't affect viewer count either way then whats the harm in providing some more entertainment value? its a big deal because cruxis put a lot of work into it and was looking forward to it being used in the stream, and most of us have been anticipating it for a while, its just kind of a kick in the face to be shot down like that

i mean it's about broadcasting GTA pride and some of our prides have been a bit hurt ;)

zmx

Smash Lord
Well like I said, I think it's a cool idea. Since it doesn't affect gameplay I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. And professionalism isn't as important as people think when it comes to streams. They'd rather have SOMETHING to watch first and foremost. It's better to have continuous matches at watchable quality than have 1 awesome quality match every 2 hours.

But I don't see why people have to go bananas at the possibility of it being rejected. It's not like it'll affect their tourny experience. I understand a lot of work has been put in but there will be other tournys to display it if not this one.

Also, I'd like to repeat that advertising the event is probably the most important part especially since Canada is slept on as it is.

The last Canada stream had about 30 viewers average. I know we can do a lot better. For the last Texas stream had 150+ average and the Canada stream overall was much better and deserved more.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
For the most part the professionalism does attract people. Our stream doesn't only host just the Brawl community (who knows and loves you guys) but random people who decide to take a look at the stream. I'll talk to Chris about it since I am going to be the one running it primarily...but think about it; this is his business, and he already has a plethora of committed viewers that ARE NOT "Competitive" brawl players, nor would they understand the CSS. Familiarity with something makes it easier for them to stick around. The fact is that at any point in time his business partners could look in on him and decide he isn't cut out for any sort of professional work with them as he has been (namely the companies hosted ON the stream when he puts up the border...it's not just for show you know?)

Bottom line is, those people who felt the stream was appealing will come back the next time as well.
eg: The last Melee tournament, we did not advertise at all and it went up late...we got 103 viewers in an instant.

As Crucix (NAILED IT) said, you're welcome to find someone else to stream if you like, that's an option. That way you can do anything else you want...but I remember the comments you guys have been getting about the stream in the past and I wonder why you are so desperate to shank it in the back just to get your way over something silly like this.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
4 Pages on the same argument , seriously ?

Simplest Obvious Solution: "Tin, Could you talk to Drekken about having the CSS on the Stream for the entire Tourney? Rather than a Portion? We would like to show off our pride as a Smash Scene".

As opposed to: "Rage, Rage, Rage, Swear, Reasoning with Swears, Flaming, Arguing, Swear, Reasoning".

My Personal Opinion would to not have the CSS on Stream at all, I love it and all. But, won't the names get the LEAST bit confusing when someone uses the Character they aren't on?

As in I use Falco, Dk, Marth and a lot of others.

Let's say I choose Dk and the name is "i1337" in the Match under the name. But, in the Tag is has 'Daisy' and on the Stream it says 'Poke'.

Don't you think that would get the tiniest bit confusing to some people ? ( I don't feel right if I use anyone but Falco anymore because if it, haha. ).

Anyway, it is up to the streamer to put what he wants on the stream, if he doesn't want something on it, we should leave it be.

As well, for viewers, we have some connections on AiB.
Tuh tah.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
^ If the people looking after the stream are doing their job correctly... they do announce who is playing what character. If someone can't connect the dots are hearing "Tin Man is playing Falco and Poke is playing Donkey Kong" then... omg. O.o

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Could a solution be (starting without textures) asking the viewers on the stream if they want to see the custom textures and CSS (after describing what they are), then go on to say that the viewers can have the regular stuff if they request it?

I mean, our viewers are the main concern here right?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I think that if we use the CSS, then we probably shouldn't use the info.pac file or the battle portraits, because the info.pac file puts our names beneath the character when another player might be using that character. Keeping the original character names in battle, but having the CSS showcase a player's face over their character's body as well as the player's name, is a form of cognitive redundancy that makes the stream more personal -- it allows viewers to associate a name to a face to a character when necessary, making the stream more personal (and potentially more appealing to people who might otherwise be turned off by commentary about someone who goes by a certain gamer tag without much other knowledge about that person).

And that kills me to say because I made the battle portrait files lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom