• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Personally, I feel that Captain Toad will be in the next Smash game, rather than being a DLC fighter.
Hopefully another game featuring the Captain comes out between now and then (A Treasure Tracker sequel even?)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I feel that Captain Toad will be in the next Smash game, rather than being a DLC fighter.
Hopefully another game featuring the Captain comes out between now and then (A Treasure Tracker sequel even?)
I'd like a new Toad game... not necessarily a Captain Toad game... maybe a sidescrolling platformer but it plays like Wario's Woods where Toad needs to pick up and carry stacks of mushroom blocks to climb to the goal... Toad can pick up and carry enemies like in SMB2, Toad can walk on walls like in WW... Toad might enter puzzle rooms where he needs to clear out enemies by matching colors like in WW before he can continue with his adventure... it's more like a cross between SMB2 and WW...

Toad could have new abilities such as throwing enemies and objects from the stack he's carrying in any direction... like where you press a button to make a cursor appear, you press the same button again to make Toad throw something from his stack at the cursor's direction... Toad can carry up to six enemies and objects at a time... and he can jump while carrying the stack too... and he can pick up more enemies and objects and add them to the stack.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'd like a new Toad game... not necessarily a Captain Toad game... maybe a sidescrolling platformer but it plays like Wario's Woods where Toad needs to pick up and carry stacks of mushroom blocks to climb to the goal... Toad can pick up and carry enemies like in SMB2, Toad can walk on walls like in WW... Toad might enter puzzle rooms where he needs to clear out enemies by matching colors like in WW before he can continue with his adventure... it's more like a cross between SMB2 and WW...

Toad could have new abilities such as throwing enemies and objects from the stack he's carrying in any direction... like where you press a button to make a cursor appear, you press the same button again to make Toad throw something from his stack at the cursor's direction... Toad can carry up to six enemies and objects at a time... and he can jump while carrying the stack too... and he can pick up more enemies and objects and add them to the stack.
That sounds like fun. I'd love the SMB2 mechanics to return.
Maybe even bring Wario back as the main villain (or Wart...)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This video is really funny. Some guy said he didn't want Captain Toad in Smash because of this video (not the guy who made the video).
He calls it a review when his points are bull****.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This video is really funny. Some guy said he didn't want Captain Toad in Smash because of this video (not the guy who made the video).
He calls it a review when his points are bull****.
Christ, and people thought Captain Toad's voice was grating.

"Who actually asked for Captain Toad? I sure didn't."
****ton of people on Miiverse. Nintendo listened. Also you didn't because you've confirmed you hate Modern Mario. Perhaps Mario games aren't for you?

"Visually not eye pleasing"
Reviewer confirmed emotionally dead. The game is insanely charming with Captain Toad's little reactions to things and range of emotions.

"You can't jump whatsoever"
That's the point of the game. It's not a platformer, it's a puzzler. Surprised he's described it as a platformer when it's clearly not a platformer.

"Despite this you will still shrink and die if you so much as touch an enemy just like in the Mario games".
Complaining about game having a level of difficulty before immedietly complaining about how the game isn't difficult thanks to the lives system.

"The game also copies it's format from the Angry Bird series..."
No it doesn't. At no point was Captain Toad hurling through stacked bricks.

"...You're given a bunch of levels and your main goal is to run through them."
Remember all those Angry Bird games that played like Sonic games? Also main goal is to work your way out to the end of the game whilst tracking all the treasure. I mean the goal of the game is in the title.

"Wii U has no games, game is boring/bland/forgettable"
Possible bias against Nintendo for not having enough third party games?

"Game scored well on Metacritic, guess it's okay when Nintendo does it. Remember how Angry Birds Collection got panned?"
Perhaps because Captain Toad hasn't been milked to the extent Angry Birds has been and thus it's seen as a breath of fresh air by most critics compared to the abundance of Angry Bird games and Angry Bird clones everywhere?

tldr; dude's a whiny *****. "This game isn't specifically aimed at my needs and wants, ergo NO ONE should like it."

Ignoring the comment about Sm4sh being watered down, he's clearly baiting with that bit.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Christ, and people thought Captain Toad's voice was grating.

"Who actually asked for Captain Toad? I sure didn't."
****ton of people on Miiverse. Nintendo listened. Also you didn't because you've confirmed you hate Modern Mario. Perhaps Mario games aren't for you?

"Visually not eye pleasing"
Reviewer confirmed emotionally dead. The game is insanely charming with Captain Toad's little reactions to things and range of emotions.

"You can't jump whatsoever"
That's the point of the game. It's not a platformer, it's a puzzler. Surprised he's described it as a platformer when it's clearly not a platformer.

"Despite this you will still shrink and die if you so much as touch an enemy just like in the Mario games".
Complaining about game having a level of difficulty before immedietly complaining about how the game isn't difficult thanks to the lives system.

"The game also copies it's format from the Angry Bird series..."
No it doesn't. At no point was Captain Toad hurling through stacked bricks.

"...You're given a bunch of levels and your main goal is to run through them."
Remember all those Angry Bird games that played like Sonic games? Also main goal is to work your way out to the end of the game whilst tracking all the treasure. I mean the goal of the game is in the title.

"Wii U has no games, game is boring/bland/forgettable"
Possible bias against Nintendo for not having enough third party games?

"Game scored well on Metacritic, guess it's okay when Nintendo does it. Remember how Angry Birds Collection got panned?"
Perhaps because Captain Toad hasn't been milked to the extent Angry Birds has been and thus it's seen as a breath of fresh air by most critics compared to the abundance of Angry Bird games and Angry Bird clones everywhere?

tldr; dude's a whiny *****. "This game isn't specifically aimed at my needs and wants, ergo NO ONE should like it."

Ignoring the comment about Sm4sh being watered down, he's clearly baiting with that bit.
I know, most of his points against the game are dumb. And some people actually agree with this guy (someone said they didn't want Captain Toad in Smash because of this, REALLY? I've only played the demo of the game at Target, and I loved it.)

He's clearly a troll. He's "reviewed" some other "bad" games like Splatoon (HE LITERALLY CALLED SPLATOON GENERIC WTF) and Wind Waker (He ****ing went there).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I know, most of his points against the game are dumb. And some people actually agree with this guy (someone said they didn't want Captain Toad in Smash because of this, REALLY? I've only played the demo of the game at Target, and I loved it.)

He's clearly a troll. He's "reviewed" some other "bad" games like Splatoon (HE LITERALLY CALLED SPLATOON GENERIC WTF) and Wind Waker (He ****ing went there).
Yeah, this guy's clearly not played any of the games he's 'reviewing';

Captain Toad's a platformer.

Splatoon is generic.

Wind Waker is probably hated due to the non realistic artstyle at a guess?

Obviously found his niche on Youtube as a Nintendo 'reviewer' for people who hate Nintendo.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah, this guy's clearly not played any of the games he's 'reviewing';

Captain Toad's a platformer.

Splatoon is generic.

Wind Waker is probably hated due to the non realistic artstyle at a guess?

Obviously found his niche on Youtube as a Nintendo 'reviewer' for people who hate Nintendo.
He complained about the touch controls in Captain Toad and said it would work better on a button. Well no, because that would make the puzzles easy (he probably needs the help) and HOW IS IT SO ****ING HARD TO TOUCH THE SCREEN! Are we that lazy that we can't move our hand over 3 inches to press a block on the screen. ****ing ridiculous.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
He seems like a troll, but actually is genuinely mad at these games. He thought Captain Toad as a platformer (guessing because 3D World was a platformer) when they marketed it as a ****ing puzzle game. He shouldn't be mad at the game for HIS faults.
Either way, whether he's a troll or not, talking about him here isn't going to accomplish much. Let him do his thing, and let's continue to do ours.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Either way, whether he's a troll or not, talking about him here isn't going to accomplish much. Let him do his thing, and let's continue to do ours.
Yeah, I guess. But when the person first showed me the video (it was their reasoning for not wanting Captain Toad in Smash), I watched the whole video trying to find some actual arguments that made the game bad. There's nothing, besides maybe it has the same artstyle of 3D World but that's subjective. Anyway, let's move on.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's nothing, besides maybe it has the same artstyle of 3D World but that's subjective. Anyway, let's move on.
And to be fair THAT particular critical point is because Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a direct prequel to 3D World. Although worth noting Captain Toad's model is greatly improved in Treasure Tracker to allow him a fuller range of emotion.

Regardless; it's terrible reasoning for being against Captain Toad in a totally different game with totally different gameplay and a totally different feel to it.

Anyway; let's say Captain Toad DOES get in. FANTASTIC!
He's packaged with a stage! What stage is it? What would be the hazards?

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker stage ideas anyone?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Did somebody say Captain Toad stage?

Plucky Pass Beginnings!

The stage is pretty simple in its basic structure, which is rather fitting as it's set on the game's first level. The playable plane is exactly as you see here, with the characters demonstrating the battling area. All platforms are solid except for the top tower -- from which the green Inkling is sniping unwitting opponents -- which is a drop-through, and both sides are standard ledges and pits. So, no walkoffs. By the way, those planks blocking you from exiting the tower to the right are gone. There are sprouts scattered throughout the stage -- not on the wood areas of course -- which yield items when you pluck them, with Mario items having a higher drop rate. They'll become brown after you pluck them, but they grow back after a while. You can break the three Brick Blocks to the right, revealing browned-out sprouts. When they grow back, plucking them will cause the Brick Blocks to come back!

Every minute or so, however, the stage will change radically. The camera quickly turns 180 degrees as play is paused for a split-second, flipping the entire stage. That's not all, though. See that area with the blue switch? That small area of ground -- you can see the seams if you look closely -- along with the wooden ramp and bridge leading to the tower will lift up, just like in Treasure Tracker. The bridge is now at the height of the tall tower, and the ground is raised to the height of Bomberman's little ledge there. With it, the bridge brings a small wall of wooden planks, blocking you from going below the bridge from the tower's bottom floor -- otherwise, it would be possible to get stuck due to the transformation. After another minute, the camera rotates back to normal, and the ground lowers back to where it started, and the cycle repeats.

The transformation affects quite a few things. The top platform is now level with the regular ground, making it a less desirable camping/sniping/etc spot. However, the lower area of the tower is now a veritable fortress, protected by a wall and a drop-through platform above it! Vertical KOs are also enhanced in general, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Why do people use this excuse: Captain Toad can't be in Smash because he can't jump.
You guys do know that :snake: couldn't jump in his games, but that didn't stop him from being the first third party character in Smash.
The argument appears to be because it's a key game-excuse mechanic within his game; if Captain Toad could jump his Treasure Tracker would be over pretty quickly.

Unfortunately most people seem to think this is important, ignoring entirely it's not because Captain Toad himself CANNOT jump(he can) it's because his backpack is overloaded with treasure/tools/adventure equipment.

It is however an argument on par with the Sonic not being allowed in Smash because he'd drown the moment he fell into a water hazard. A gameplay excuse in one game is not neccesarily going to be used across ALL games including that character.

Using the Sonic example again; Mario and Sonic at the Olympics got around the issue of Sonic unable to swim in any of the water sports by putting floaties on his arms. Captain Toad surely then can merely lighten his load to improve his jump skills for Smash?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad is my preferred choice for next Mario character for Smash. Add me to the support list.

(I love those movesets in the OP)
Wha...were you seriously not a Brigade member before? What the hecks. Added! Always nice to see fellow Bandana Dee fans share the love of Captain Toad too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what would be in store for a Captain Toad sequel. Toadsworth as a PC?

I found some palette swap pictures (these aren't probably going to happen, but they look cool):

Captain Toad

Toadette

EDIT: How did these become so small? These were bigger when I posted them.

EDIT 2: Fixed. I hope that they don't shrink again.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I found some palette swap pictures (these aren't probably going to happen, but they look cool):

Captain Toad

Toadette

THIS needs to happen, and like I've said a while back, with this Toadette probably won't have to deal with the complaints that she "stole a more deserving character's spot into Smash!" or something like that.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

Captain Toad

Toadette

Oh my goodness. Those are adorable! I love every single one of those. I would maaaaybe replace one of them with a Mummy-Me palette? (Actually, since we're dreaming here I say don't replace any of them and just ADD a Mummy-Me palette! Ha) Whenever I play Smash I usually don't stray from the original palette.... but.... I REALLY like the Blue Toad, Green Toad, and Yellow Toad. I'd have a hard time deciding which one I'd wanna use most of the time!

Welp it appears the poll was closed due to links here on Smashboards.

Although worth noting Wolf was the primary offender.
Well, Captain Toad still got to the next round (as did K. Rool, Wolf and Simon Belmont) and it was only going to last 24 hours anyway.

They said that the next poll allowed only registered users to vote, but I was able to vote despite not being registered.

EDIT: And I'm not sure were they even aware that I posted the poll here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom