• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion (Phase 1/PLEASE READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
So, regarding Shulk's moveset:

Since he has amazing reach (Probably the best in the entire cast actually) I see him being a hit and run kinda character. He can poke, then run with monado speed, and as soon as the enemy catches up, switch to shield, buster etc. He will be very dangerous in the right hands, that much is certain.
Basically a Marth main's dream?

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
This one is very nice too

I'm not sure but it seems like you can change the art while shielding.
I was just going to share my video here but it looks like it already has been. Thanks! :)

Really though, Shulk feels great. One of the most exciting movesets in Smash 4 in my opinion.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I was just going to share my video here but it looks like it already has been. Thanks! :)

Really though, Shulk feels great. One of the most exciting movesets in Smash 4 in my opinion.
Nice gameplay! Shulk looks awesome. Can't wait to main him when it releases over here.

Has anyone identified the custom moves for Shulk's side B? Because that's really needed.... His back slash isn't all that useful, as I feared

Would be cool also if someone just outright revealed all of the custom specials

Edit:

GameFAQs is not that reliable but (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70078035)

Front slash is a custom special. It doesn't fix the speed problem of back slash though

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Has anyone identified the custom moves for Shulk's side B? Because that's really needed.... His back slash isn't all that useful, as I feared

I'm imagining that one variation of Back Slash involves making it a stronger, chargeable move, with some armor. Start-up/ending lag will take more time though.

I'm imagining that one variation of Back Slash involves making it chargeable, with some armor. Start-up/ending lag will take more time though.
I think that might be the third version considering if the front slash custom is true

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Hmm...we'll see. For the time being, Back Slash will have to rely on a solid read. Not the kind of move to throw out willy-nilly.
:link:
I've always immediately thought that it could keep frequent RAR'ers (Reverse Aerial Rush) / B-Air approaches in check. . . Outside of those two things, you'd have to have a really good read for the additional damage-from-behind effect (i.e. Unless you are looking for and / or find an immediate kill opportunity, I don't really think it would be optimal to use as you could just choose another option that is safer and potentially (more often than not) effective).

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
:link:
I've always immediately thought that it could keep frequent RAR'ers (Reverse Aerial Rush) / B-Air approaches in check. . . Outside of those two things, you'd have to have a really good read for the additional damage-from-behind effect (i.e. Unless you are looking for and / or find an immediate kill opportunity, I don't really think it would be optimal to use as you could just choose another option that is safer and potentially (more often than not) effective).
I do like the sound of nailing those who fail to properly space their B-Airs with Back Slash. I'll more than likely end up using B-Air to catch them though, as it's the safer/quicker option. Though, periodically throwing in some BS (see what I did there guys? :awesome:) will be fun.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Edit:

GameFAQs is not that reliable but (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70078035)

Front slash is a custom special. It doesn't fix the speed problem of back slash though
Further down in that link, the person who said Front Slash said they made it up. Indeed sounds like GameFAQs is not that reliable :p
I think I'm gonna wait until someone comes out with a list and/or pics.

Last edited:
Further down in that link, the person who said Front Slash said they made it up. Indeed sounds like GameFAQs is not that reliable :p
I think I'm gonna wait until someone comes out with a list and/or pics.
:|

I hope there's a custom move that can fix this.....

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
As well, current evidence points to being UNABLE to switch modes once one is activated, making you locked until the period of time the mode ends, allowing you to pick another of the 4 Monado Arts. Meaning you need to pick the Monado Art for the situation, and fully take advantage of the brief time you have.
I am not sure if this has already been noted, but you can cancel out of an art. While in an art, hit the B button 3 times in quick succession and it will cancel you out of the art you are in. It will still have the cooldown after you cancel it. This is particularly helpful if you accidentally switched into the wrong art.

Also, about Monado Art in shield: You cannot cycle through arts while in shield. After you select an art, you can shield during the short period before it activates, but you can't cycle.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I am not sure if this has already been noted, but you can cancel out of an art. While in an art, hit the B button 3 times in quick succession and it will cancel you out of the art you are in. It will still have the cooldown after you cancel it. This is particularly helpful if you accidentally switched into the wrong art.

Also, about Monado Art in shield: You cannot cycle through arts while in shield. After you select an art, you can shield during the short period before it activates, but you can't cycle.
Thanks for the clarification :)

On another note, I'll likely be closing this thread down soon since we're done with speculation. Feel free to save all of your findings/facts so they can be transferred over to the new thread, as I'd like to have discussion on the things that we know, meta discussion, etc.

x-Ace-x

Smash Cadet
NNID
x-Ace-x

Indeed I loved it. ;)
The best shulk video out there. :4shulk:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
The video is appreciated, but man, this guy need to edit better. I can only watch so many missed counters.

Not really feelin' it with his custom moves honestly. I like the vision variations and I could see myself using desicive monado arts, but air slash and back slash look rather lame to me.

x-Ace-x

Smash Cadet
NNID
x-Ace-x
The monado arts are very handy in a lot of situations....

Shulk must be great for home run contests lol

Chauzu

Smash Ace
The video is appreciated, but man, this guy need to edit better. I can only watch so many missed counters.

Not really feelin' it with his custom moves honestly. I like the vision variations and I could see myself using desicive monado arts, but air slash and back slash look rather lame to me.
Sorry, it was hard not holding the 3ds properly and trying to read what a ******** cpu does lol. Well, at least I made it in the end. ;)

And to poster above - yeah, Shulk was a beast in Smash Run as well. Monado so useful.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
The monado arts are very handy in a lot of situations....

Shulk must be great for home run contests lol
Now THAT is what Extreme Monado Arts are for! Extreme Buster to rack up damage and Extreme Smash to send that sandbag all the way into next week!

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Sorry, it was hard not holding the 3ds properly and trying to read what a ******** cpu does lol. Well, at least I made it in the end. ;)

And to poster above - yeah, Shulk was a beast in Smash Run as well. Monado so useful.
Lol it's fine. Next time that happens you can just delete all the misses. Really speeds up the video.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that the forward aerial and neutral aerial are very similar to each other. In fact, sometimes I mix them up due to their similarities. Though the key difference is that the neutral aerial hits is a sword swing from below, while the forward aerial is a swing from above. Considering the situational air game Shulk has compared to other characters, he's going to rely on both as generally safe options.

x-Ace-x

Smash Cadet
NNID
x-Ace-x
I will say that the forward aerial and neutral aerial are very similar to each other. In fact, sometimes I mix them up due to their similarities. Though the key difference is that the neutral aerial hits is a sword swing from below, while the forward aerial is a swing from above. Considering the situational air game Shulk has compared to other characters, he's going to rely on both as generally safe options.
I think the main difference is the his neutral air is more of defensive move, not very powerful but seems to cover him quite effectively. From what I saw in videos.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I think the main difference is the his neutral air is more of defensive move, not very powerful but seems to cover him quite effectively. From what I saw in videos.
Basically. Little to no cooldown and a pretty solid spacing tool. The way Shulk swings the Monado with N-Air can kind of affect how people approach you as well (assuming they can't get you to approach them). It's a pretty nifty move, and I like it personally.

x-Ace-x

Smash Cadet
NNID
x-Ace-x
Basically. Little to no cooldown and a pretty solid spacing tool. The way Shulk swings the Monado with N-Air can kind of affect how people approach you as well (assuming they can't get you to approach them). It's a pretty nifty move, and I like it personally.
Yeah quite solid for spacing.
It seems also quite effective to deflect some items like Dunk Hunt Dog can and frisbee... Probably Shulk's only way to have a break from these types of characters and maintain his spacing control.

I'm surprised how much thought they put in this character.
For every situation there seems to be a solution. I can't wait to play as Shulk.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
A new Moveset data & discussion thread will be up soon (Friday, most likely).

Feel free to continue using this thread or the social to discuss Shulk's moves if you'd like, but just know that this particular thread will be getting locked up soon.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
It's a shame the full version doesn't appear on the boxart. And why does Rosalina have to be shoehorned into EVERYTHING?
Rosalina isn't shoehorned into everything, Nintendo wants to put another character into the spotlight and make her a icon like the original 4. Plus she's a unique character so this shouldn't even be called shoehorned when it's well deserved. I'll give you that this should be the full boxart since it looks much better.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

So I obviously missed the last few posts. The Boxart convo can be taken to the social thread. It has literally nothing to do with this topic.

x-Ace-x

Smash Cadet
NNID
x-Ace-x
It's a shame the full version doesn't appear on the boxart. And why does Rosalina have to be shoehorned into EVERYTHING?
Rosalina has become a rather famous character in recent years thanks to the popularity of Mario Galaxy.
I read that Miyamoto didn't really like her and she wasn't supposed to be a recurrent character but the fan demand was really big and they decided to make her a part of the "group".

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Last verbal warning. Going straight to infractions after this. Although this thread will be getting locked up in a couple of days, that doesn't mean it's a new home for spam. Even worse, the discussion has shifted from Shulk.

Weird..... I think I have to post this here since I can't post in the social thread at all.

The certain page keeps crashing in my point of view

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Weird..... I think I have to post this here since I can't post in the social thread at all.

The certain page keeps crashing in my point of view
What did you have to post? The most recent page in the Shulk social is starting to act up for me as well, but it's not crashing (May have to do some editing...).

What did you have to post? The most recent page in the Shulk social is starting to act up for me as well, but it's not crashing (May have to do some editing...).
I couldn't and didn't post at all

The page just stops working when I scroll down enough

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm glad that, contrary to what I was expecting, the damage of Shulk's Vision does scale based on how powerful the attack he's countering is, as I saw him KO a Villager from the center of the stage at only 24% by countering Timber.

That coupled with the fact that he's able move behind his target before executing the counter ought to make people wary of trying to edgeguard him with strong attacks.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Some random stuff I've noticed while training as crazy with Shulk for a day now:

- Nair is pretty insane, literally no landing lag and it's the only Shulk aerial that has little to no lag. It still covers a lot of space and is quick so useful for both approaching / covering.
- With vanille / buster / smash Shulk you can also standard jump fair and then use nair to cancel landing lag to move again.
- For speed Shulk you can quickly do two jumps in quick succesion and fair at the same time to just barely cancel landing lag with nair. This is so tight so you don't even see the start of the nair animation so it just looks like fair has no lag lol.
- Defense Shulk has great pivots. Pivot grab gives extended range while Shulk barely moves to the side, and f-tilt is good as well.
- Smash Shulk's f-tilt is a great KO move as early as 120% depending on char. Otherwise overall d-tilt is the superior spacing option with greater reach (but it can't hit opponents right in front of Shulk).
- Ok, some stuff Jump Shulk can do that others can't:
* Full jump uair - nair landing lag cancel.
* Full jump fair into bair (or nair to mix it up).
* Being able to jump like 3/4 the length of Final Destination with a single jump, using two jumps guarantee you can make it from the ledge of one side of the stage to the other - in like 3 seconds.
* The ability to edgeguard to even the very bottom of the right / left blastzone and still be able to recover to the ledge, and also cover most of the upper blast zone.
* Dunno what else to write than the jumps are faaaast, you can get into the face of not all too close enemies in an instant.
- Back Slash is better than I expected, it's quick and it can punish enemies using a move that is hard to attack against but has some form of lag. It's also a great mix-up if you don't spam it since it's fast.
- I still suck at Vision as some of you who have seen my custom moves vid probably can understand, it's getting better though. I need to try and use it more to react rather than predict.

Ok, that's all for now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom