• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Anyone else screw around with the range and speed of dtilt?

Just crouch at the ledge while they're on it and dtilt/react to jump off the ledge. xD

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I still don't know how to switch modes properly. :(
Yeah the timing can be weird especially in the heat of the moment, can't count the number of times I've accidently triggered Buster instead of Smash or Shield instead of Speed. Or worse trying to activate Jump in recovery and did Back Slash instead.

Getting better though the more I do it.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'm playing with headphones, and recognize where I should stop from the sound, so I can focus on what the enemy is doing with my eyes in the meanwhile.

It takes a little bit of practise, but it isn't absolutely impossible to do.
(And I don't mean the "buster" sound he occasionally makes, I mean the sound that get's slowly higher and higher with each monado art passed.^^)

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I'm playing with headphones, and recognize where I should stop from the sound, so I can focus on what the enemy is doing with my eyes in the meanwhile.

It takes a little bit of practise, but it isn't absolutely impossible to do.
(And I don't mean the "buster" sound he occasionally makes, I mean the sound that get's slowly higher and higher with each monado art passed.^^)
I do it right by ear too. I think both sound and button presses help the timing of it, actually.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470eWmco2SI
This happendend today in a for glory match. I was kinda surprised.
-Made me laugh hysterically.
I still don't know how to switch modes properly. :(
I have no issues with this. I kind of have some mental notes I use, so this could be good. Note: I think other people are having the same issue as you so this could probably help them too.

Jump is first because if you are falling and need the extra recovery, you won't need to risk death. It is an urgent moment, so it is the best to have the quickest and easiest activation. Just one click of the B button.

You also gain a lot of air mobility with jump, making you quite fast in the air. This is what ties Jump into Speed.

You want to be able to get to speed quickly so that you can take advantage of the moment and speed into the enemy's space. So while speed is not the first, it quickly follows with being the second press. Just two quick clicks to go fast.

Monado Shield is the awkward third option. It lowers your air mobility AND your speed, making it sort of the opposite of Speed and Jump. I guess you could see it as following jump and speed because it is slower than them (makes you slower). I think the best way to remember it may be by forming a split in the monado arts. Let me show you what I mean.

1) Jump
2) Speed
3) Shield
--------
4) Buster
5) Smash

Both Buster and Smash have to deal with you attacking the opponent. Buster adds damage while reducing knockback while Smash adds knockback while reducing damage. They have nothing to do with your movement, while the first three do. Always keep those two tied together and sort of separate them from the first three. This will be easier once you read the mental notes on those two. Shield is the last of the first group, the ones that effect agility. Jump and Speed proceed Shield for reasons previously stated.
So tap three times to become a heavy monster.
Somewhat related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXzLqCqSy1w

Finally, you have Buster and Smash. The idea behind remembering these is pretty simple. The main strategy of Smash Bros is to deal damage to the opponent so that you an then use a Smash attack to hit them off the stage. The ultimate goal of all the shenanigans put in play during a battle is to Smash the opponent off of the stage. The idea between Buster and Smash is the same! Smash is the very last Monado Art, number five, because it is what you use when you just want to kill the enemy, the ultimate goal of the match. It's even easier to remember since it's called Smash, as in Smash Attack.
Buster proceeds it because you need to rack up the enemy's damage before trying to kill them. This is what #4, Buster, does. Go to #4 first to get their damage up, and once you think everything is in place go to #5 to take them out.
-
Accidentally skipped over the art you wanted to use? Do not fret, simple Math is with you. Take the difference between the art you are on and the art you wanted to be on and subtract it from 5. To quickly get the difference, either 1) recall how many clicks you went above the art you desired or 2) have a good knowledge of what numbers correspond to the two arts in question and subtract them. Either way gets the number to subtract from 5.

So for example.. accidentally skipped over Buster and are about to activate Monado Smash if you don't do something soon? Well, Monado Smash is one in front of Buster, so press the B button 4 times (5-1). Accidentally skipped over Speed (#2) and went to Buster (#4)? 5-2=3 so press it 3 times. Hopefully you can make this an unconscious thing if it is not already. If you do need to think a little bit, press B once to switch to a new art and restart the timer; work your way from there. It's probably worst for you if you accidentally use the wrong art and need to deactivate it to get to the one you want, so act quickly.
-
Deactivating and reactivating is harder to do, because the deactivation doesn't work by simple amount of times clicked. The best thing to do for switching that I can think of is to listen for the click noise that sounds when the art is deactivated. From there you just input the amount of presses of the b button it takes to get to the art you want (from 0).

I always end up rapid clicking B to get rid of the art, often starting myself off from Jump or Speed on accident. This is a scenario I think every Shulk player will find himself in. If you're in the moment and can't really look at the arts, try to recall how many times you heard that weird noise that plays when you switch arts. The number of times you've heard it is the number of art you're at, so just make it to the art you want from there. Just keep in mind that the first sound, the one of Jump, is much lower in pitch than the others. You don't want to accidentally mistaken that for the deactivation noise. If you're really good, you might be able tell where you're at in the 5 arts by the slight variations in pitch between each of them. It starts low with Jump, jumps up to a decently higher pitch when you pick speed, and then transitions slightly up until the highest pitch which is #5, Smash.

EDIT: look at posts below, deactivation actually is determined by number of clicks

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I think the amount of button presses it takes to deactivate a Monado art is 3.
its 2 in rapid succession, 3 at a normal pace.

the absolute worst thing is when your current art ends just as you were going to end it yourself. Brb about to cancel smash into jump....oh flip im on shield because smash ended right before my 2x cancel.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I think the amount of button presses it takes to deactivate a Monado art is 3.
Hey it is. I tested it myself, and it worked except for when I accidentally hit it once too many. I think those mistakes are why I thought it was kind of random.

This makes it much easier. Just add 3 to the number to get to the amount of clicks you need to do to deactivate and get to the new art. Switching from any art to Smash is 8 clicks of the B button. Getting to Shield from any art is 6 clicks.

edit:
its 2 in rapid succession, 3 at a normal pace.

the absolute worst thing is when your current art ends just as you were going to end it yourself. Brb about to cancel smash into jump....oh flip im on shield because smash ended right before my 2x cancel.
Idk what to think right now. I thought it was 2 before and I changed that view thinking maybe I was just accidentally hitting 3 without knowing it because of how rapid I was doing it. I just need to test it to be sure lol.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Hey it is. I tested it myself, and it worked except for when I accidentally hit it once too many. I think those mistakes are why I thought it was kind of random.

This makes it much easier. Just add 3 to the number to get to the amount of clicks you need to do to deactivate and get to the new art. Switching from any art to Smash is 8 clicks of the B button. Getting to Shield from any art is 6 clicks.

Idk what to think right now. I thought it was 2 before and I changed that view thinking maybe I was just accidentally hitting 3 without knowing it because of how rapid I was doing it. I just need to test it to be sure lol.
hit 3x as fast as you can and you go to jump.
hit 3x with a bit of a rhythmic pause and youll be in default. with the 4th press putting you in jump.

you can hear it actually.
3x slow and the grey symbol appears twice on the third press it gets like a circle around it to show its broken.
on rapid tab the circle appears on the second. its in the manual I believe or at least on the in-game tip for monado art

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Honestly, I can't tell if I'm actually only clicking 3 times or if I'm doing 4. There are times when I think I only clicked it 3 times and got to Jump, but I also had one instance where it seemed like I clicked it three times and got to speed (and we know that is not true).

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470eWmco2SI
This happendend today in a for glory match. I was kinda surprised.
Did you have Monado Smash and a Custom Vision on?(particularly the Third custom, Strong Vision) Plus, keep in mind, Bowser got off an almost Fully charged Side Smash. It's not too big of a surprise, those combined will do alooooooot of knockback, especially since Counter's don't just reflect the exact amount of damage you block, they amplify it's damage/knockback a bit too.

I'm getting pretty good with Shulk, i love using Jump along with Buster and Smash, although i don't find Speed too useful as it only increases ground speed and the only real thing i find it useful for is quicker dash attacks, which most of my opponents dodge/block easily. Still, one thing is bugging me. For the life of me, i cannot, pull off, A FREAKING INSTANT COUNTER. DX I try, and try, and try, and no matter what i always get the normal counter. And usually i'm really good at timing, heck, a bunch of times i could've sworn i did it instantly, or at least have only a split second in before i counter an attack when i use it. :\ And I think it might just be me, since i've seen the CPU's pull it off on me a bunch of times. :\

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Did you have Monado Smash and a Custom Vision on?(particularly the Third custom, Strong Vision) Plus, keep in mind, Bowser got off an almost Fully charged Side Smash. It's not too big of a surprise, those combined will do alooooooot of knockback, especially since Counter's don't just reflect the exact amount of damage you block, they amplify it's damage/knockback a bit too.

I'm getting pretty good with Shulk, i love using Jump along with Buster and Smash, although i don't find Speed too useful as it only increases ground speed and the only real thing i find it useful for is quicker dash attacks, which most of my opponents dodge/block easily. Still, one thing is bugging me. For the life of me, i cannot, pull off, A FREAKING INSTANT COUNTER. DX I try, and try, and try, and no matter what i always get the normal counter. And usually i'm really good at timing, heck, a bunch of times i could've sworn i did it instantly, or at least have only a split second in before i counter an attack when i use it. :\ And I think it might just be me, since i've seen the CPU's pull it off on me a bunch of times. :\
By instant counter, you mean this right?

As SOON as you're hit, don't delay at all, press forward. So for example
:GCD::GCB: >Get hit by move< and IMMEDIATELY press forward
Or, if it helps you better to think of it this way, as soon as your hit and you see the blue aura around Monado Boy press forward.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
You know something hit me today. Playing Shulk is ridiculously like playing Xenoblade. In Xenoblade, timing was everything. You couldn't just spam random arts, and that's how Shulk works too. Not only with his arts, but his standard attacks require a lot of thought too. It's actually really impressive. When I play Shulk I have to think just like I'm playing Xenoblade.

He's not a JRPG character turned into a fighter for Smash Bros, like Ness or Robin. He stays true to his roots. Playing Shulk is like playing a JRPG in the middle of a fighting game, and I love it!!
"Timing is everything! Remember that!"
It's actually a great analogy you've got there.

Whenever I try it I hold forward as soon as I press down-B. If I get hit, I do the quick one. If I don't, not like it matters. I guess easier said than done, you don't have a lot of time to think in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Basically, to input an instant counter, you're doing a hadoken with the button press slightly earlier.

Last edited:

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
I tested the vision damage between the instant one and the normal one, the instant one made 13% damage meanwhile the normal made 10%, just and interesting fact.

Also I'm not so sure bit I think that the normal one have more knockback than the instant one, also the angles that the enemy goes after he's hit is different. The instant one sends him to your back and the normal one sends him in front of you. Some interesting facts.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I do love how shulk plays he;s a character that takes time to get used to I think once wii u version comes out he'll be more better to control like every other character )looking at you LM I love maining you but you can be hard to control at times_

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I'm not sure if you guys ever tried this, but believe it or not fsmash is actually a really good punish for laggy moves that hit on your shield. A Pit fsmashed on my shield and as the attack ended I fsmashed him and he had no time to react. Just something interesting I guess if you want to test it out

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I've been spending so much time in the video thread lately, I've actually started thinking up a drinking game with it. It's still got a bit of fleshing out to go, but right now I feel the highlight of it is:

"If he backslashes to his doom: down the whole bottle."

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I've been spending so much time in the video thread lately, I've actually started thinking up a drinking game with it. It's still got a bit of fleshing out to go, but right now I feel the highlight of it is:

ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL THE ENTIRE POPULATION BY ALCOHOL POISONING? lol.
Reminds me of those Xenoblade Chronicles drinking games too
"drink every time Dunban pronounces Melia as 'melier' !" "drink every time Shulk has a vision and does absolutely nothing about it!"
Good times. :4shulk:

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

*Sigh*

NO, DAMMIT, NEUTRAL B AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Life

Smash Hero
I'd like to point out something, in case anyone else isn't accidentally doing this all the time. The activation of Shulk's Monado Arts can be b-reversed. Seriously, I keep doing it by accident and it's getting annoying.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hm... I don't noticed a huge difference by choosing the stronger arts. Which custom moves do you prefere?
(I'm pretty happy with the default ones)

Life

Smash Hero
Currently, I'm rocking the version of backslash that moves you forward a bunch, and the powerful vision. I believe that's 1313.

I dislike the monado art variations because I like to be able to swap them between stocks/at the drop of a hat (so no decisive) and I prefer duration to raw effect. I'm not really sure about the air slash variations.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So, I finally decided, I'm gonna Main shulk&Link for 3ds, and maybe go for Robin when the WiiU version is out.
Shulk ist fairly more playable currently, and heck, he's gonna wreck any goddamn little mac I'll encounter!

And yeah, Backslash versions are in my opinion the only ones that are worth changing a little.

EDIT:
Reminds me of those Xenoblade Chronicles drinking games too
"drink every time Dunban pronounces Melia as 'melier' !" "drink every time Shulk has a vision and does absolutely nothing about it!"
Good times. :4shulk:
Awww yeah. Xenoblade drinking game sounds fun. I probably won't make it, since by your rules, I'd be poisoned before I reach prison island...

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, I'm Hylian. After playing most characters in the game I've decided to main Shulk. I love the monado system, it really draws me to the character as it adds a ton of depth and things to learn. I'm uploading some videos of my play to my youtube currently, though they probably won't be done until tomorrow.

You'll probably see me around here a bit so I'll bring presents :p.

Shulk aerial landing lag:

Nair: 12
Fair: 21
Bair: 21
Uair: 17
Dair: 25
Air Dodge: 22

Edit: First video is done so I guess I'll attack it to this post :D. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghNUGjUgw4

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm Hylian. After playing most characters in the game I've decided to main Shulk. I love the monado system, it really draws me to the character as it adds a ton of depth and things to learn. I'm uploading some videos of my play to my youtube currently, though they probably won't be done until tomorrow.

You'll probably see me around here a bit so I'll bring presents :p.

Shulk aerial landing lag:

Nair: 12
Fair: 21
Bair: 21
Uair: 17
Dair: 25
Air Dodge: 22

Edit: First video is done so I guess I'll attack it to this post :D. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghNUGjUgw4
o_o

U-air's landing lag is less than f-air and b-air? Interesting

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

Uses Buster, but gets in no hits, a shot.
Switches to any art besides Jump when recovering and fails to recover, a shot.
Gets punished for using vision, a shot.
Really feeling it, whole bottle.

Yeah.... I think I'm starting to use speed and buster against Diddy more than jump. It's been good so far. Diddy's aerials are incredible so I'd rather not risk challenging him in the air

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Had a couple good fights today. I'm throwing in rob/Olimar/pits as alts but Olimar is being super hit or miss. Man R.O.Bs off ledge game is putting in work for me.

Faced a CF on my Shulk. The throw into hair/Knee is damn threatening. We can gimp him decently though. I'm trying roll canceled grabs but I don't think shulks is very long at all. However I think its better then dash in shield monado by half a character. Im finding back airs actually rather safe.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
So, I finally decided, I'm gonna Main shulk&Link for 3ds, and maybe go for Robin when the WiiU version is out.
Shulk ist fairly more playable currently, and heck, he's gonna wreck any goddamn little mac I'll encounter!

And yeah, Backslash versions are in my opinion the only ones that are worth changing a little.

EDIT:

Awww yeah. Xenoblade drinking game sounds fun. I probably won't make it, since by your rules, I'd be poisoned before I reach prison island...
Once a friend showed me a Xenoblade drink game that the main rule was take a drink every time someone says "The Monado". Also you can add a shot when Reyn says "It's Reyn time". That's a drink game that I would never do, I won't be making even to the Tephra Cave.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Once a friend showed me a Xenoblade drink game that the main rule was take a drink every time someone says "The Monado". Also you can add a shot when Reyn says "It's Reyn time". That's a drink game that I would never do, I won't be making even to the Tephra Cave.
Hell, that are inhuman rules... I like that!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
o_o

U-air's landing lag is less than f-air and b-air? Interesting
It's not useful for anything practical though. If you're using that attack it's going to be very high up so you can hopefully get a star KO prematurely.

On rare ocassions I use it with Jump.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Uses Buster, but gets in no hits, a shot.
Switches to any art besides Jump when recovering and fails to recover, a shot.
Gets punished for using vision, a shot.
Really feeling it, whole bottle.
Not bad. Most of those I hadn't thought of yet.

Alright, so far I've got:

• Stage being played is Gaur Plains: 1 drink (+1 if regular form Gaur Plains, +1 if You Will Know Our Names is playing).
  • Starts battle with Buster: 1 drink.
  • Starts battle with Smash: 3 drinks.
  • Uses Buster, but gets no hits: 1 drink.
  • Uses Smash, but gets KOed: 3 drinks.
  • Pulls off a forward vision counter: 2 drinks.
  • Switches to any art besides jump when recovering and fails to recover: 1 drink.
  • Switches to any art besides Jump when recovering, but still recovers: 2 drinks (+1 if the art is Shield).
  • Gets punished for using vision: 1 drink.
  • Gets a KO while using Buster: 2 drinks.
  • Lands a Final Smash: 3 drinks.
  • Back slashes to his doom: whole bottle.
  • "This is the Monado's power!": 2 drinks.
  • "Now it's Shulk time.": 3 drinks.
  • "I'm really feeling it!": whole bottle.
Edit:
  • Shirtless Shulk: Drink your heart out the whole bottle (@ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 ).

Any more suggestions anyone?

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Not bad. Most of those I hadn't thought of yet.

Alright, so far I've got:

• Stage being played is Gaur Plains: 1 drink (+1 if regular form Gaur Plains, +1 if You Will Know Our Names is playing).
  • Starts battle with Buster: 1 drink.
  • Starts battle with Smash: 3 drinks.
  • Uses Buster, but gets no hits: 1 drink.
  • Uses Smash, but gets KOed: 3 drinks.
  • Pulls off a forward vision counter: 2 drinks.
  • Switches to any art besides jump when recovering and fails to recover: 1 drink.
  • Switches to any art besides Jump when recovering, but still recovers: 2 drinks (+1 if the art is Shield).
  • Gets punished for using vision: 1 drink.
  • Gets a KO while using Buster: 2 drinks.
  • Lands a Final Smash: 3 drinks.
  • Back slashes to his doom: whole bottle.
  • "This is the Monado's power!": 2 drinks.
  • "Now it's Shulk time.": 3 drinks.
  • "I'm really feeling it!": whole bottle.

Any more suggestions anyone?
Shirtless Shulk: Drink your heart out

D

Deleted member

Take a drink every time someone says "The Monado?" That sounds like a death wish!
You know, someone should make a compilation of all of the cutscenes that mention the words "The Monado." I want to see exactly how many drinks that will be.

Funny thing about that. Yesterday, I tried to recover with Air Slash... but I accidentally did a Back Slash and lost. :urg:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Never have I ever fell more in love with a character in Smash Bros.
Shulk is simply so much fun, and I can't get enough of playing him whether I win or lose!
Landing bairs are the most satisfying attacks I can do to someone.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Still laughing at the Zss I beat so they pick Shulk. Jump back -air gimp ftw.

Every time I face a jigglypuff I realize my spacing is mad off. Just eating double back air after whiffing a Nair or fair FML.

Top Bottom