• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-B charge question.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
I just started to learn Luigi today and I'm confused about his Side B. It seems sometimes when I hardly just barely charge it (for awhile I thought this was something frame specific) I would be able to get him to Side-B as if his charged it all the way. It would make the fire behind him, etc.

Am I making this more complicated than it is? Is it random?

edit: My testing seems like it's random however can be forced cuz I just did it like 8 times in a row. Maybe I got lucky. Someone plz shed some light on this for me - thanks :D

I've come to the realization I just don't understand this move in this sense. Someone fill me in :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Misfire

Happened since melee. You have a chance of releasing a very powerful, overcharged green misile with noharge necessary.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
You are speaking of the misfire. On average one out of every eight Green Missiles you fire will be more powerful then even a fully charged one. It doesn't matter whether you charged it for a minute or less then a second if it is a misfire it will always be the same. The fire that trails behind the misfire isn't an explosion really. It's just the contrails (fire that comes from behind a jet or missile or something) from Luigi. I

Wander

Smash Journeyman
No, the explosion doesn't do any extra damage. The misfire sends Luigi further without needing a charge, happens about 1/8 times you use the Missile, and I believe it does more damage and knockback if it hits the enemy.

SlashMolder

Smash Apprentice
I am pretty sure a missfire is a 1/7 chance but I could be wrong. Also, there is a thing called luck manipulation but I have yet to see anyone abuse it except in melee TAS videos. As for the reason, the game goes 60 FPS making it very hard for you to control the exact frame everything occurs to get the missfire whenever you what. I honestly find it impossible to do in real time though, so just like melee, its completely random, you can't control it.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
It's random, very random, once in a training stage i was messing around and i kept trying to get a misfire, but it took me 20 tries!

coldtrain

Smash Rookie
i call them pocket rockets(aka pocket aces in texas holdem) because its a chance of something good happening when you can't control it. Also Greenrocket -> pocket rockets? eh lol. (they happen twice as often if you know poker though ;) )

Top Bottom